Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #46
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
Thanks so much for saying hello! Appreciate your comments.

It is such a lovely area, but you're right - the resort seemed pretty dead. There was a cold front that moved in right when I came to the resort, so I think that kept most people out of the pool; but the Boardwalk itself wasn't too busy either. However, the parks looked pretty congested to me, but it didn't seem like anyone was RIDING anything!
Yeah...I remember you said the same thing about Epcot...restaurants and shops empty but quite a few people strolling the walkways. I dunno, for *me*, the walking at Disney is a necessary evil...riding rides and eating is where it's at. I guess we are in the minority.

OnSpaceshipEarth is offline  
Old 11-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #47
RGirl
DIS Veteran
 
RGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,902

Hey!!! I'm pretty sure we had TRs going at the same time a couple of years ago (and again now!) and were post in on each others.

I am totally joining in!

Your first day sounded like so much fun!

And I love that you were able to ride so many things so quickly at AK - how I miss being able to go during the less-busy times.

What the HECK with the bus situation though!!!! I would have been going insane! We stayed at BWI too (our trip was in August, although my report has only gotten through maybe the fourth or fifth day ), and the one thing that consistently went right for us was the transportation!
RGirl is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #48
khaleesi
Life is a Special Occasion
 
khaleesi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I love that bag in the background!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post



That part freaked me out. I always HATED that witch.
It's those creepy monkeys that freak me out! I literally have to turn the TV off when they come on!!

I'm sorry you had such bad luck with the busses. Not having to drive the entire time I'm in WDW is one of the perks for me, so I think I'd be okay waiting, but probably not THAT long. Bummer.

Can't wait to read more!!!
__________________
In Progress: Episode MMXIV: We Don't Say Goodbye, We Say Kwaharini
Completed: Feb 2014 PTR: In the Game of Thrones, Princesses Always Win
My Blog * My Goodreads Profile * My Pinterest



Trying hard to figure out a way to get to The World in December 2015. Stay tuned!

Love and pixie dust,
Sue
khaleesi is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #49
khaleesi
Life is a Special Occasion
 
khaleesi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
Of course I stopped in Germany. I took a picture of the favorite candy of my study abroad group. I lived in Bonn, home of Beethoven, but EVERYONE loved Mozart Kugeln!



And at $1.45, they really weren't that expensive either.
I knew I originally quoted this post for a reason... I'm intrigued by the candy... what is it?
__________________
In Progress: Episode MMXIV: We Don't Say Goodbye, We Say Kwaharini
Completed: Feb 2014 PTR: In the Game of Thrones, Princesses Always Win
My Blog * My Goodreads Profile * My Pinterest



Trying hard to figure out a way to get to The World in December 2015. Stay tuned!

Love and pixie dust,
Sue
khaleesi is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #50
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran
 
ZehnJahren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSpaceshipEarth View Post
Yeah...I remember you said the same thing about Epcot...restaurants and shops empty but quite a few people strolling the walkways. I dunno, for *me*, the walking at Disney is a necessary evil...riding rides and eating is where it's at. I guess we are in the minority.

Yeah! It's been like that for me a couple of times over the past three years when I've went and I thought, "what are you people actually DOING with your day?" It's fine to walk and sightsee or whatever, but RIDE something!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Hey!!! I'm pretty sure we had TRs going at the same time a couple of years ago (and again now!) and were post in on each others.

I am totally joining in!

Your first day sounded like so much fun!

And I love that you were able to ride so many things so quickly at AK - how I miss being able to go during the less-busy times.

What the HECK with the bus situation though!!!! I would have been going insane! We stayed at BWI too (our trip was in August, although my report has only gotten through maybe the fourth or fifth day ), and the one thing that consistently went right for us was the transportation!
Yes we have crossed paths before! I'm currently reading your TR right now, mostly because I was looking for BW TRs and stumbled on yours! I think I posted on there once that I'd be lurking.

I can't imagine going back to the busy times; this trip was busy enough for me! My longest wait to get on anything was less than 30 minutes, too! I just wonder how low the crowds are at opening during busy times of year. I ride everything I want in the mornings.

The buses were a thorn in my side, and I'm very glad that next year we'll have a rental car! I am really glad to hear that others had great luck with the buses at BWV though, because the resort was so wonderful that I didn't want the buses to ruin it for anyone!
ZehnJahren is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #51
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran
 
ZehnJahren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
I love that bag in the background!
Thanks! It's probably my favorite bag that I have - I'm a member of the Disney Dooney and Bourke facebook page, and I see some gorgeous bags go up for sale there. I bought one of my current wristlets from that page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
It's those creepy monkeys that freak me out! I literally have to turn the TV off when they come on!!

I'm sorry you had such bad luck with the busses. Not having to drive the entire time I'm in WDW is one of the perks for me, so I think I'd be okay waiting, but probably not THAT long. Bummer.

Can't wait to read more!!!
Those monkeys are... unnaturally creepy. Sideshow quality creepy.

I like not driving in WDW too, but my next trip I'll have a rental since we'll be off property and I'm actually looking forward to it. My mom and I will have a two bedroom timeshare with a full kitchen, and plan on making quite a few meals (we both love to cook) and also going out to eat other places in Orlando. We're already discussing the details. Plus, we're going to head to Universal this trip as well, so having a car will be great - and we're going to book a room there and stay at a Universal hotel one night to have a place to park and get the front of the line passes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
I knew I originally quoted this post for a reason... I'm intrigued by the candy... what is it?
Ah, delicious Mozartkugeln (I'm using it in the plural ).

From Wikipedia:

The master confectioner, Paul Fürst, came to Salzburg in 1884 and opened a shop at number 13, Brodgasse. He presented the Mozartbonbon for the first time in 1890, later producing and selling it in greater quantities as Mozartkugeln. Fürst’s achievement was the production of a perfectly rounded chocolate, with no flat areas. The production process used by the confectionery Fürst has not changed to this day.

First, a ball of green pistachio marzipan covered in a layer of nougat is produced. This ball is then placed on a small wooden stick and dunked in a dark chocolate coating. Next, the stick is placed vertically, with the ball at the top, on a platform to allow the chocolate to cool off and harden. Finally, the stick is removed; the hole that it leaves behind is filled with chocolate coating, and the ball is wrapped in blue-silver tin foil by hand.


So in other words, it's candy produced by an old technique originated by Paul Fürst, with pistachio marzipan, nougat, dark chocolate, and a chocolate coating. They also have some kugeln with almonds, and some other companies make different versions, like this one. You can tell it's not the original by the fact it's not round (or 'kugel' shaped) - or at least that's what I was told.
ZehnJahren is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #52
B&WMickey
DIS Veteran
 
B&WMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 522

Holy cripes, the buses!!!!!

We had horrid luck with the buses that week. I hate to complain about it because I know someone else is going to say that they never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus and they were never crowded. We waited for more than 20 minutes to catch buses from POR on most of our trips to the parks and they were almost always packed. It seemed like we had slightly better luck getting from the parks to the resorts.

We too had to deal with drivers switching too. I don't ever remember seeing that in the past but I bet it happened 3 times for us on this trip.

Disney is definitely doing something different with the buses. Probably running fewer to save money. I'm sure they think an extra 5 to 10 minutes waiting won't bother anyone but it is quite noticeable.
__________________
Summer 1978 - Offsite
Summer 1985 - Contemporary
November 1998 - Grand Floridian
November 2000 - Beach Club
December 2002 - Grand Floridian
January 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
September 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
November 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
March 2015 - Port Orleans Riverside
B&WMickey is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #53
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran
 
ZehnJahren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&WMickey View Post
Holy cripes, the buses!!!!!

We had horrid luck with the buses that week. I hate to complain about it because I know someone else is going to say that they never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus and they were never crowded. We waited for more than 20 minutes to catch buses from POR on most of our trips to the parks and they were almost always packed. It seemed like we had slightly better luck getting from the parks to the resorts.

We too had to deal with drivers switching too. I don't ever remember seeing that in the past but I bet it happened 3 times for us on this trip.

Disney is definitely doing something different with the buses. Probably running fewer to save money. I'm sure they think an extra 5 to 10 minutes waiting won't bother anyone but it is quite noticeable.
Ugh, what is up with the buses in the "off season"? I had great luck at other resorts in the past and thought maybe this was BWV, but to hear you were experiencing the same thing at POR is pretty interesting and also works towards changing my mind towards that aspect of BWV.

I did take the YC/BC bus one time; it seems like their buses were running pretty well!
ZehnJahren is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #54
LB1122
Life's full of tough choices...Disney is not one of them
 
LB1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 593

Looks like minus the buses a great start to your 4 park day...it is so col to say you did that. We managed to do it on our first trip when my daughter was 4...pretty sure she was asleep for most of MK where we ended the day. Looking forward to more
LB1122 is offline  
Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #55
wrighter
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ and DVC
Posts: 1,629

So sorry to hear that you had bus envy! It might make you feel better to hear that we had the same luck over at SSR last weekend. We waited forever - longer than I ever recall waiting in all the years we've gone to WDW. Waited forever in all directions. I was thinking that it must be because it's the slow season? I don't know. All I know is that it stunk! Time wasted!!!
__________________
August 2004 Swan and Dolphin-----February 2007 Old Key West-----February 2008 Old Key West-----February 2009 Boardwalk Villas
May 2009 Saratoga Springs-----March 2010 Saratoga Springs-----October 2011 Grand Floridian-----October 2011 Old Key West
May 2012 Saratoga Springs-----August 2012 Beach Club Villas-----November 2013 Saratoga Springs-----December 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas
April 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas-----October 2014 Boardwalk Villas-----April 2015 Family Reunion at Saratoga Springs
wrighter is offline  
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #56
JulieODC
DIS Veteran
 
JulieODC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 1,003

Joining in! Great report so far!

We were across the way at YC from 11/0-11/16 ---- and were eating dinner in Mexico when you were there and at AK the same day too!!
__________________
My 2014 trip report!
A 21-hour tease and one FANTASTICAL voyage! May 2014 TR!

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD3 Baby #2 (Coming, March 2015!)

WL-January 2015; DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline  
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #57
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran
 
ZehnJahren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1122 View Post
Looks like minus the buses a great start to your 4 park day...it is so col to say you did that. We managed to do it on our first trip when my daughter was 4...pretty sure she was asleep for most of MK where we ended the day. Looking forward to more
I think this was only my 2nd four-park-one-day-bonanza! I did hit at least one ride at every stop! Well your daughter can still say she did it - even if she was sleeping. She was there, right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighter View Post
So sorry to hear that you had bus envy! It might make you feel better to hear that we had the same luck over at SSR last weekend. We waited forever - longer than I ever recall waiting in all the years we've gone to WDW. Waited forever in all directions. I was thinking that it must be because it's the slow season? I don't know. All I know is that it stunk! Time wasted!!!
Agreed, it WAS time wasted. Nothing productive about it. Still it doesn't swear me off park hopping; it was just irritating. It's worse to come home and see the time stamps and know that YES, it was as long as it FELT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieODC View Post
Joining in! Great report so far!

We were across the way at YC from 11/0-11/16 ---- and were eating dinner in Mexico when you were there and at AK the same day too!!
Oh wow!

I took your bus once. I jumped on a YC bus, took it to YC, got out, walked through the lobby and out the back door, ran down the plank to the lighthouse, and got right on a boat to the Boardwalk! That was my best transportation story from this trip!

Were you using Josh at easywdw's plans too? I was just trying to stay ahead of the crowds.
ZehnJahren is offline  
Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #58
RGirl
DIS Veteran
 
RGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
Yes we have crossed paths before! I'm currently reading your TR right now, mostly because I was looking for BW TRs and stumbled on yours! I think I posted on there once that I'd be lurking.

I can't imagine going back to the busy times; this trip was busy enough for me! My longest wait to get on anything was less than 30 minutes, too! I just wonder how low the crowds are at opening during busy times of year. I ride everything I want in the mornings.

The buses were a thorn in my side, and I'm very glad that next year we'll have a rental car! I am really glad to hear that others had great luck with the buses at BWV though, because the resort was so wonderful that I didn't want the buses to ruin it for anyone!
Phew! I'm so glad to know that I didn't just imagine all that!

Gah - I think you probably did pop in on my TR, didn't you? There is seriously something wrong with my brain!!! Can I blame it on turning 44 and spending all my down time with a REALLY talkative 6 year old????

I have to admit - going in the heat and crowds of summer was less than ideal. If we are going to do that again, we will have to learn to enjoy the resort a lot more and be less wedded to the parks.

I hate that your transportation experience was so bad. I am really glad that ours was good because our crowd/heat/grumpy index was pretty high even WITH good transportation!
RGirl is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #59
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran
 
ZehnJahren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Phew! I'm so glad to know that I didn't just imagine all that!

Gah - I think you probably did pop in on my TR, didn't you? There is seriously something wrong with my brain!!! Can I blame it on turning 44 and spending all my down time with a REALLY talkative 6 year old????

I have to admit - going in the heat and crowds of summer was less than ideal. If we are going to do that again, we will have to learn to enjoy the resort a lot more and be less wedded to the parks.

I hate that your transportation experience was so bad. I am really glad that ours was good because our crowd/heat/grumpy index was pretty high even WITH good transportation!
Ha, yes, you were right! I think I popped on pretty early and then got stuck planning my trip and languishing on TRs since I was following PTRs pretty heavy. I am just now starting to catch up with TRs.

I remember when I was a kid, the only time we EVER went to Disney was June or July. I remember waiting in a three hour line for Space once! The line was all the way back and under the TTA! We always had a blast though (obviously, since I still love it as an adult). But now that I have the choice on when to go, I'll definitely avoid it. If you have a little one and have to worry about school, then your choices are limited too, and kind of already made for you!

However - I couldn't keep myself at the resort regardless of crowds! I just gotta be in the parks somehow!
ZehnJahren is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #60
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran
 
ZehnJahren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702

I'm Not Even Supposed to BE Here Today!

When I woke up from my short nap, I decided to go ahead and head over to MK.

But I was disgusted with the buses at this point, so what is a girl who is within walking distance of Epcot and the monorail to do?

That's right! She decides to walk to Epcot and take the monorail! Excellent deductive skills!

I really do love this walk.



I think the BWV are even more beautiful than the YC, and that's really saying something for me.

I also paused for this picture, and had some fellow tourists give me a weird looks over it (why??):



It was almost 1 p.m. and my BOG FP+ wasn't until 2:15 - 2:45, so I had plenty of time. I thought I might stop for a quick ride in Mexico, but as I walked into Epcot, something else was calling for me!



I hadn't ridden the newest iteration yet; when I was here last year it was still down for the refurb to turn it into Tron Track. I had heard a lot of foul epithets launched in its' direction ever since, so I wanted to ride it myself and make a decision.



Why yes I AM a single rider! I guess I'll go right on in!

WOW was the inside DIFFERENT! It looked nothing like the old TT:



I thought it was interesting that if you do single rider or FP+, they take you past the big room where everyone designs their cars so that you can see what you're missing. I can see, however, where that might entice some people to take that route later on instead of FP+, FP-, or single rider.

Not me, however; I was not interested in the design process. I grabbed a white card to store my design in the tiny little design room, finished someone else's design on the screen, loaded it to my card, and I was off!

My opinion is that the new TT is better than the old! I like the neon... everything, and I thought it "felt" more thrilling than the last one. I even shrieked a little when the truck came at us. I like this version better - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

It was now after 1, so it was time to head to the monorail to head to MK!



I always wonder WHY this ramp is SOOOO long, but I KNOW it's because of all the hordes of people who walk up it at the end of every day. It just seems to go on forever! And there's no bathrooms or anything; you get your kid to the top and they gotta go? Enjoy the walk back down!

About halfway up, there was a man on a scooter. He was stopped completely. I was just about to ask him if he needed help when he started up again. I struck up a conversation with him; his ECV was acting up and he wasn't too sure he'd make it all the way up the ramp. We walked together for the last part of the ramp, then he stopped again. I walked over and told one of the employees he was having issues; I'm not sure if they could help or not but it was worth a try.



Finally, we all boarded (including the man on the scooter; it appeared he was doing ok again), and headed off to MK.



I was so excited to be going to eat at BOG, and to ride some of my favorite rides. It was very odd that I had been to every other park so far, but not MK - which of course is everyone's favorite.

We passed the massive parking lots on the way in.



I have always been very impressed and interested in parking lots. Imagining the sheer numbers of cars that each carry, most likely, at least two people; trying to figure out capacity by parking lot area; judging crowds at any venue by where the cars stop. Yes, folks, I'm exciting.

But what's this?

We got to the TTC, and there was no ferry running. Two CMs were telling people "bus or monorail! Come on folks, take the bus!" I struck up yet another conversation with one of these CMs; they told me that the ferry wasn't running due to high winds and they were having people take either the bus or ferry. The buses were much faster according to them, so after thinking about it for just a moment, I decided to trust them and go with the buses.

Good choice. Our bus pulled right up, filled up within minutes, and was off quickly.

Next thing you knew, I was HERE:



18-ish minutes between my monorail door picture and the bus station picture. Now THAT'S service!
ZehnJahren is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.