Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #76
Sam1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post

Haha, we were there at the same time! That's my shoulder in the bottom right of your photo. My husband is digging into the kitchen sink and my daughter is the one wearing the pink t-shirt.
Sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #77
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

I am with you on ToT! I think the ride is so cool with it's elaborate theme-ing and story-line, but those drops just make my stomach hurt I've tried it several times hoping it will change. It hasn't
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #78
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

I'm loving your TR Megan, you write beautifully

My 17 year old DD is currently helping me plan our next trip, we're off as soon as their GCSE's and A Levels are finished
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #79
Turbanator
Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1 View Post
Haha, we were there at the same time! That's my shoulder in the bottom right of your photo. My husband is digging into the kitchen sink and my daughter is the one wearing the pink t-shirt.
Its a small world lol
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #80
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Thrills, Grit and World Class Tricks (at DHS)

We spent a few more hours at Hollywood Studios taking in the sights. I made the family pose for a quick holiday photograph but they seem to be somewhat dazed- it must have been hot!

Rory does a quick pose in his bright blue USA shirt sporting his new green Magic Band...

The ice cream at this place looked fabulous. Sadly we were saving room for our evening meal so had to pass.

We then headed back over to Rock n’ Roller Coaster which had finally opened! The first time we used our FP+ scheduled for earlier that day, and then hopped right back on to use our paper FP the kindly family gave us earlier in the day.

Rory absolutely loved this ride! He had been waiting for two years to experience this, and he was absolutely thrilled coming off. He was, however, a little disappointed at the length of the ride.

“Awww, Meggie!” he cried.

“Why was it so short?! I thought you said it was a minute long!”

I admit, that was what I guessed it lasted. However even I thought it was short. My dad said it was even better than he remembered from 2011 (our last trip), and I have to say, it was incredibly thrilling and remains one of my favourite rides in WDW.

Willum then wanted to see the Indiana Jones stunt show, and my parents were eager to see it too. Unfortunately on the way to the show, a little bit of who knows what got into my eye. It was very sore and I couldn’t see for some time very easily. We went to the First Aid area at the front of the park, where I was given eye drops. (Or should I say my mother was. It really annoyed me that the lady clearly thought I was younger than I am. She would tell my mum ‘Put the eye drops in her eyes and don’t let her rub them’. Well excuse me, but I am nearly eighteen- you should tell me that! I just get so fed up of people treated me like a young child- and believe me- it happens a lot!)

My eyes got worse during the Indiana Jones show which was when we had to go to First Aid. I missed a good chunk of the show, but at least my eyes calmed down slowly but surely.

Smile! We’re at Disney! (Sorry, not the best photograph!)

Willum, my dad and Rory went off to ride Tower of Terror and my mum and I browsed the shops- admiring the lovely Disney merchandise.

We then headed back to SSR to get changed ready for dinner. We had to wear smart-casual clothes due to it being a signature restaurant- Flying Fish Cafe! It was our first dinner on the DDP, and we were hoping it would prove to be a special evening.

More to come!

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #81
meggiebeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading along! Looking forward to hearing more about your super long Florida adventure!
Hi there! Thank you for joining in! I hope you enjoy the upcoming updates.

Quote:
Oh my goodness- what a small world! I think my mum might have spoken to you. While we were eating, only two tables ordered the kitchen sink- you and a table at the bar. I am astonished as I actually remember you! We certainly admire your bravery in tackling such a huge dessert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
I am with you on ToT! I think the ride is so cool with it's elaborate theme-ing and story-line, but those drops just make my stomach hurt I've tried it several times hoping it will change. It hasn't
I am glad someone else agrees with me! I'm still traumatised from my first ride, and despite numerous attempts to persuade me from my family, I do regret a little not riding it again.

On the bright side, I know the gift shop inside out now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
I'm loving your TR Megan, you write beautifully

My 17 year old DD is currently helping me plan our next trip, we're off as soon as their GCSE's and A Levels are finished
Hi there- thank you so much for joining in.

That sounds exciting but distant at the same time! Is your daughter in year 12? (As I am- A Levels are certainly hard work!). We missed two weeks of school for this trip, which none of our schools were happy about.

I'd love for my mum to plan with me like you do with your DD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Its a small world lol
It certainly is!

~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,

Old 01-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #82
Sam1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Its a small world lol
It is. It's a small world after all. lol

Quote:

Oh my goodness- what a small world! I think my mum might have spoken to you. While we were eating, only two tables ordered the kitchen sink- you and a table at the bar. I am astonished as I actually remember you! We certainly admire your bravery in tackling such a huge dessert!
Yes, I remember you and your family and thought you looked familiar at the time. I don't remember which one of you went up to get a photo of the kitchen sink at the bar, but I remember it happening. We didn't manage much of the kitchen sink - it was huge!

It's strange because while I was reading your trip report I kept thinking you all looked very familiar, but just put it down to having read bits of your pre trip report.

It turns out I caught you and your family on video while I was videoing the kitchen sink arriving (I can post it if you like). It really is a small world.

Great trip report by the way!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #83
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Quote:
“Why was it so short?! I thought you said it was a minute long!”
Awww bless him but I have to agree it is pretty short, mind you I'm not sure my tummy could handle it being much longer

Quote:
Well excuse me, but I am nearly eighteen- you should tell me that! I just get so fed up of people treated me like a young child- and believe me- it happens a lot!)
I know you've probably been told this many a time but you really will enjoy looking young when you're older

Quote:
That sounds exciting but distant at the same time! Is your daughter in year 12? (As I am- A Levels are certainly hard work!). We missed two weeks of school for this trip, which none of our schools were happy about.
I have 2 girls, one in year 11 the other year 13 so a big year!!! I'm doing lots of nagging WDW is there treat for working hard.

Quote:
I'd love for my mum to plan with me like you do with your DD!
She doesn't get a choice, I was on the Moms Panel so I'm an uber planner
Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #84
meggiebeth

Flying Fish Café

After an exciting afternoon at DHS we went over to the Boardwalk for our first dinner on the DDP: none less than the Flying Fish Café. I chose this restaurant because my mum is incredibly fond of fish dishes. When, several years ago, we were eating in a restaurant in Sardinia (near to Italy), she refrained from ordering the seafood platter she really wanted because it was simply so expensive. I booked this restaurant to give her a taste of seafood without worrying about the cost!

We caught the end of a street performing act as we walked on the Boardwalk, and headed right into the restaurant.

PHEW! It absolutely stank of fish! And really not in a good way, either. It was pretty overwhelming and slightly unpleasant.

Its a very unusual restaurant, and it has a very upmarket feel to it. Mainly adults were dining- it is certainly one of the least child friendly signature restaurants in WDW. My dad felt quite uncomfortable- he didnt understand much on the menu, and the prices and general vibe of the place put him off. He isnt used to such upmarket restaurants. If Im honest, I didnt feel comfortable either.

Our waitress, Tracy, was absolutely lovely. She was friendly, and leant her glasses to my parents when they couldnt see their menus (they forgot their glasses- and left them at the villa). She started off by bringing out some drinks and fresh bread.

The fresh bread was certainly very tasty. We then moved onto appetizers, with my dad ordering the...

Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tempura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi Roll

Hijiki and Wakame Seaweed, Yuzu Tobiko, and Wasabi Foam with a Sweet-and-Spicy Sauce

Cost: $18.00

My parents arent big fans of sushi (note my mums experience of sushi at California Grill in 2011) but my dad really enjoyed this. He actually finished it, which probably says a lot.

My mum ordered the...

Mozzarella di Bufala alla Caprese

Florida Yellow Beefsteak, UgliRipe and Tiny Tomatoes, Aged Balsamico, Exotic Peppercorns, Petite Basil, and Sicilian Olio Verde

Cost: $15.00

My mum enjoyed this, although it wasnt exceptional. Tasting an $15 appetizer was pleasing in itself- we dont usually order appetizers at restaurants but the Disney dining plan allowed us to for no extra cost.

Willum, Rory and I didnt really want an appetizer so just went on to order the main courses. William ordered the...

Strozzapreti Pasta d'Abruzzo

Little Ear Pasta with Rustic Five-Meat Ragú, Sun-dried and fresh Tiny Tomatoes, Arugula, and Pecorino Romano. Also offered as a Vegetarian and Lacto-ovo friendly dish with Pesto-laced Vegetable Primavera

Cost: $22.00

William thought this was OK, but the taste was very strong and the meal fairly substantial. He couldnt finish it, and it certainly wasnt his favourite meal of the trip.

I also ordered this meal, but as a vegetarian option. I requested a tomato sauce instead of pesto, which I dont particularly like. Here is mine:

It was OK, but had an incredibly strong and relatively spicy flavour. Im not too familiar with spicy foods so this was a shock. The taste was incredibly powerful, and whilst it was nice, I couldnt eat too much without my mouth burning a little.

My dad had the:

Char-crusted Angus New York Strip Steak

Yellow Wax Beans, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, and Fall-crop Root Vegetables with Classic Sauce Foyot

Cost: $43.00

He liked this, but it wasnt nearly as good as a steak that he tasted at another Disney restaurant (more to come on that!) He managed to eat a good deal of it.

I havent got a photo of my mums entrée, so either she didnt get one or I just forgot to take a picture. Oops!

Rory would have had this:

Romaine Hearts

Crisp Veggies, Ranch Dressing, and Little Croutons

Cost: $4.00

My mum ate this, and thought it was fine. Its just a plain kids salad though- nothing exceptional.

He then had this for his entrée entitlement of the DDP:

Bowl of Mickey Pasta

Your choice of Tomato Sauce and Parmesan, Creamy Alfredo, or Creamy Cheddar Sauce. Served with choice of Small Lowfat Milk, Small Dasani® Water, or Small Minute Maid® Apple Juice

Cost: $8.00

However we also asked if he could have some salmon, as he is a huge fan of it. Tracey kindly brought some salmon with his Mickey pasta. (Which he requested plain with butter).

Rory was actually asleep when his meal was brought over- the poor little guy was very tired! We woke him up and he grumpily ate his meal, but he did enjoy it. It was a treat for him having such tasty salmon.

We were tired and decided to skip dessert. Of course, I couldnt miss out completely. I ended up getting a HUGE two-scoop bowl of chocolate ice cream, which was delicious, on the DDP as a snack credit. Unfortunately I didnt get a photograph- but take my word for it- it was absolutely huge! In the UK, a scoop of ice cream is the size of the ice cream scoop. In WDW, a scoop of ice cream is probably three times the size of the ice cream scoop. If you arent on the DDP and want an ice cream, one scoop is totally sufficient.

Anyway, back to Flying Fish Café- we got ready to leave somewhat disappointed. The food was just OK- and one would certainly expect more than OK when paying so much for a meal. Overall, my dad was particularly disappointed- he just didnt feel like he fit in!

Can you tell we look tired?! Tired, but happy to be back home at WDW.

Overall Ratings

Atmosphere: 5
Food: 5
Service: 7
Value: 4

Overall Rating: 5

Tune in again soon for more!

Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #85
meggiebeth

Quote:
It is. It's a small world after all. lol Yes, I remember you and your family and thought you looked familiar at the time. I don't remember which one of you went up to get a photo of the kitchen sink at the bar, but I remember it happening. We didn't manage much of the kitchen sink - it was huge! It's strange because while I was reading your trip report I kept thinking you all looked very familiar, but just put it down to having read bits of your pre trip report. It turns out I caught you and your family on video while I was videoing the kitchen sink arriving (I can post it if you like). It really is a small world. Great trip report by the way!
We also remember seeing you and your little daughter! My dad ran up to the bar to get a photo of the kitchen sink and then I followed to get my own, but apparently my mum spoke to you at some point. Weird that we came so close and only just realized!

I'd love to see the video if you have time to post it. Thanks for getting in touch and letting me know- it's a great surprise!

Thanks for the compliment too! It means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Awww bless him but I have to agree it is pretty short, mind you I'm not sure my tummy could handle it being much longer I know you've probably been told this many a time but you really will enjoy looking young when you're older I have 2 girls, one in year 11 the other year 13 so a big year!!! I'm doing lots of nagging WDW is there treat for working hard. She doesn't get a choice, I was on the Moms Panel so I'm an uber planner
I'm not sure about that either! The upside down bits make me shake a bit! I have been told that about looking younger all the time, so I take it as a compliment! It works to my advantage a lot of the time, so I am grateful.

Oh wow, that is a big year! Year 13 is really daunting, and my brother William is in year ten currently preparing for GCSEs (although not very well!)

That's fantastic you're on the Moms Panel- it must be great giving advice. I thought it was pretty hard to get onto!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 AM   #86
Sam1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We also remember seeing you and your little daughter! My dad ran up to the bar to get a photo of the kitchen sink and then I followed to get my own, but apparently my mum spoke to you at some point. Weird that we came so close and only just realized!

I'd love to see the video if you have time to post it. Thanks for getting in touch and letting me know- it's a great surprise!

Thanks for the compliment too! It means a lot!
I remember two people came up to me while we had the kitchen sink. One was the lady at the table in front, so the other must've been your mum. It is very weird!

The clip is only really tiny. I don't think I can embed videos on the forum, but here's the link ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vyBbPp1TYY

I'll be following along with your trip report. Your food pictures are excellent! It'll give us an idea of where to eat and where not to eat later this year.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #87
DisneyTeacher2
Earning My Ears

Joining in! Loving your trip report and dining report so far! I've really enjoyed reading how the Florida area/Disney is seen through the eyes of a family from the UK! I have ALWAYS dreamed of living in the UK!! Looking forward to reading more!
DisneyTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #88
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

What a pity you were disappointed with the Flying Fish, at least you were on the DDP so it didn't cost you but as a 2 credit meal it should be enjoyable!

I was on the panel in 2009, I was the first ever Brit to be on it and yes it is hard to get on to
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #89
I_Luv_Stitch
Mouseketeer

Joining in and all caught up

Looks like your first disney day was lots of fun especially with that family giving you their FP's!!
That's a shame you were disappointed with the Flying Fish especially as it's worth 2 credits!

I love that you have planned this holiday practically all by yourself! And well done to you for saving the money to upgrade to the Deluxe Dining Plan!

Me (Jess 18) Mum (DisneyJo) Dad Ellie

Read my first TR here (2008 trip)
MY NEWEST TR JULY 2014
I_Luv_Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #90
ougrad86
OU Sooners Football Fan!

So funny someone reading the trip report showed up in your trip report !

Would love to go to Beaches and Cream and try the Kitchen Sink someday. Just have never had time, and need to go with some ice cream loving folks, which does not describe DH and DS at all!! Someday...

Loving your report, but I think I will go with you and not bother with the Flying Fish. I am a jeans and T-shirt kinda girl, don't like to get dressed up fancy that often - even wear I work is casual dress code - everyone is wearing jeans and T-shirts.

We are looking forward to DHS, trying to figure out when to schedule our FP+, since we are driving in that day. They have instituted tiering as well, so cannot FP both RnR and TSM ! We love both those rides, trying to figure out which line we want to wait in! We probably want to ride RnR more than once though.

Disneyland off site 1973;WDW off site 1974 (band trip); WDW off site 1985; WDW SOG March 2006; WDW SOG Nov 2009 with friends; WDW AKL Oct/Nov 2010 with friends; Universal/WDW HRH Spring Break 2012 with friends; WDW AKL Nov 2012 with friends; WDW Coronado/Uni Portofino Spring Break 2014 with friends ! No New Ticker - college and Grand Canyon planning
Disney: so far into our heads, hopes and dreams that it is legendarily the Mouse that built the better people trap...
ougrad86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrs, party, restaurant reviews, trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: