Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #16
quirty30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
$400!!!!!!!! How many people where you dining with???!!! Eek, that's crazy, I'd never pay that for one meal!!!!! That's my whole 5 day food budget and I've got a reservation there for Dec 6/ second guessing it now!!!!! Sounds like you should have tried to talk to a manager regarding your servers attitude, he definitely could use some adjustments!
There were 3 of us - me and my 2 kids who are 12 and 15 (but eat like grown-ups.) We shared a shrimp cocktail, a caprese and a caesar salad, crab mac and cheese, au gratin potatoes, asparagus, 1 filet, 1 scallop entree, 2 desserts and 1 pricy wine flight of 3 half bottles. My filet entree and chocolate souffle for dessert were comped for my birthday (and were in addition to the items above.) But even with the comped items, the total with tax was over $300, and I gave the waiter a $70 tip. The wine flight alone was $125. It was a real indulgence for me (and I took some of it with me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Yes, he should have notified you and allowed you to select from a range of other options. But in the end, he was right. The Magnificat is the better wine.
I pored over the wine list before our trip and researched the wines. My maiden name is Swanson and I've always wanted to try their wines but have never been able to find them. So the substitution was glaring to me. I took the Magnificat with me and drank it at home last week. It was good, but I wasn't wowed. On the other hand, my two other wines were a Grgich Hills Chardonnay and a Shafer One Point Five Cabernet. The chardonnay was wonderful and I enjoyed it with our appetizer and salad courses. The Shafer Cab was absolutely incredible. It far eclipsed the flavor of my filet. And was a great pairing with the chocolate souffle. I found a full size bottle at my local liquor store last week for $80, and I'll go back to get a bottle when they have a 15% off sale. It was one of the best 3 wines I've ever tasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
We've been to Shula's several times. If I recall correctly, I don't believe the 48oz Porterhouse is free if you finish. I've always known you had to pay for it but you get your name and plaque for their 48 oz. Club.

http://www.donshula.com/shulas-clubs/48-oz-club

http://www.donshula.com/images/pdfMe...do-sh-menu.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisa1 View Post
It's been a few years since we have been to the Shula's at WDW, but it was awesome!
DH ordered the 48oz and it was not free, but you do get enrolled in their 48oz club and your name on the website if you finish - which he did, but was miserable for a few days after....
I remember having the filet and it was really great! I would recommend trying it once - it is not cheap though.
If you are football fans, you will like it as your menu is on a football.
Enjoy!
Oops, my bad on the 48 oz porterhouse challenge. I'm glad my kids didn't go for it - lol! There is a Shula's not far from us here is the Chicago suburbs, and a few years ago my company had the Christmas party there - I didn't get to attend and I must have misunderstood my co-workers when they told me about it. Or I watched too many episodes of Man vs. Food and just assumed all food challenges were free if you succeeded!

And as a follow up, I went to a local steak house last Friday and finally got to order a bone-in ribeye, medium rare, just like I wanted for my birthday. It was awesome. And a bargain for $32.95. Too bad their wine list stinks!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirty30 View Post
The Shafer Cab was absolutely incredible.
The Shafer One Point Five is unquestionably the best wine of all those that you have mentioned. Too bad they couldn't have given you two of those and skipped both the Swanson and the Magnificat. Though $80 is a tad on the high side. You might be able to find it for around $67-$72. (Binny's in your area has it for $75). If you can find an on-line retailer offering free shipping or shipping for around $3 per bottle, it would be a good buy.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Cool Corkage fee?

We go to Shula's all the time and usually get their wine or cocktails, but on this trip I want to bring my own bottle from my cellar. And was wondering if anuone knows the corkage? I am figuring $20.

Still debating, but I think I am bringing a 97 Beringer Private Reserve Cab to celebrate my wife and mine 50th birthdays.

Thanks!

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay looking forward to a new home for our vacation

Fall 2014 - Still in the planning stages, but F&W will be part of it
jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
quirty30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Shafer One Point Five is unquestionably the best wine of all those that you have mentioned. Too bad they couldn't have given you two of those and skipped both the Swanson and the Magnificat. Though $80 is a tad on the high side. You might be able to find it for around $67-$72. (Binny's in your area has it for $75). If you can find an on-line retailer offering free shipping or shipping for around $3 per bottle, it would be a good buy.
Oh you are right, Binny's has it for $75, not $80 (it's 2 blocks away from my house!) Every so often, they send coupons for 15% off your wine and spirit purchase, and that will bring it down to $64. And I totally agree, I'd have gladly traded the Magnificat for another bottle of the One Point Five!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyfan View Post
We go to Shula's all the time and usually get their wine or cocktails, but on this trip I want to bring my own bottle from my cellar. And was wondering if anuone knows the corkage? I am figuring $20.

Still debating, but I think I am bringing a 97 Beringer Private Reserve Cab to celebrate my wife and mine 50th birthdays.

Thanks!
I think it is $25. If you travel with the '97 Beringer, make sure you stand the bottle up when you arrive at WDW and try to make your reservation at Shula's at least a couple of days into your trip to give the bottle some time to settle. Traveling with a bottle that age will stir up the sediment and you will want it to settle before opening. That's a great bottle and you will want it to show well.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Quote:
I think it is $25. If you travel with the '97 Beringer, make sure you stand the bottle up when you arrive at WDW and try to make your reservation at Shula's at least a couple of days into your trip to give the bottle some time to settle. Traveling with a bottle that age will stir up the sediment and you will want it to settle before opening. That's a great bottle and you will want it to show well.
I will be driving and will be arriving on Wednesday and ressies are on Saturday, so the bottle will have time to rest. Plan to handle the bottle with love and care.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay looking forward to a new home for our vacation

Fall 2014 - Still in the planning stages, but F&W will be part of it
jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

I would have told the waiter "you may like it your way, but I like it my way and you are not telling me how to order it." After I would lower the tip.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
Imhere
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
I would have told the waiter "you may like it your way, but I like it my way and you are not telling me how to order it." After I would lower the tip.
I personally would never lower a waitpersons tip because they were following company policy. I may go over his head, but he probably doesn't like denying what you want any more than you do.
Imhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #24
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere View Post
I personally would never lower a waitpersons tip because they were following company policy. I may go over his head, but he probably doesn't like denying what you want any more than you do.
What I read here was others got it the way they wanted. If I want my steak medium I'm getting it medium.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: