Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
jamala
Mouseketeer

Shulas questions

My DD 15 LOVES steak, big steaks! We have done yachtsman several times but now they no longer have "her" steak on the menu or so I have been told. I have booked Shulas for our upcoming trip. Tell me about Shulas, what are your favorites and what is the dress code? This is on our epcot day so we will be in park clothes but we can go back to the hotel and change if it is dress up place.
jamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
peabody58
I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

We enjoyed Shulas this last Sept. 4 adults - very laid back, excellent service and the steaks were excellent. We had left overs for 2 meals at home (froze them in our villa). Remember that they can not charge the meal to your Disney room.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

I : their bone-in Ribeye! And the Hubby always gets the filet.
Nancy
Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
quirty30
DIS Veteran

I wanted to order the bone-in ribeye, but the waiter wouldn't let me order it medium rare. Said it had to be ordered medium or more. Ordered the filet and thought it was tasteless. I would never go back. In hindsight I should have complained to a manager. Live and learn.

OP, if it's the porterhouse your daughter likes, I hear Yachtsman has it back on the menu. But if she loves REALLY big steaks, Shula's has a 48 oz. porterhouse that's free if you finish it.

As for dress code, I think it's the same as any Disney signature restaurant. DD12 wore a denim dress and DS15 wore jeans with a polo. I had on a more fancy dress, but it was hardly necessary. It's very, very dark in Shula's so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
jamala
Mouseketeer

Thank you all. And, yes it is the porterhouse she liked at Yachtsman. The last time we ate there she ordered it medium rare and the waiter kind of laughed and said "wow, I would have totally missed your order if I were guessing, I thought you would want the filet!" When he handed it to her he said I can't wait to see how much of that you eat and she finished the entire thing. She is 15 and maybe weighs 100lbs, very tiny thing. I am glad to hear it is back on the menu, but now she has her heart set on the 48oz one at Shulas. I on the other hand always get the filet well done, lol.
jamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirty30 View Post
I wanted to order the bone-in ribeye, but the waiter wouldn't let me order it medium rare. Said it had to be ordered medium or more. Ordered the filet and thought it was tasteless. I would never go back. In hindsight I should have complained to a manager. Live and learn. OP, if it's the porterhouse your daughter likes, I hear Yachtsman has it back on the menu. But if she loves REALLY big steaks, Shula's has a 48 oz. porterhouse that's free if you finish it. As for dress code, I think it's the same as any Disney signature restaurant. DD12 wore a denim dress and DS15 wore jeans with a polo. I had on a more fancy dress, but it was hardly necessary. It's very, very dark in Shula's so I wouldn't worry too much.

I always order my cowboy cut medium rare. If I was told I could not order it this way I would get up and leave paying for what we ate at that point.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay And it was great, added a few extra days at CSR

November 2014 - Decided to end the AP year with one more trip. Stay at Coronado again. Forgot how much we lve this place.

jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

My family likes the cowboy and prime rib. Never had a problem ordering medium rare. Quirty, you definitely should have spoken to a manager. I've never had a bad meal there and service has always been excellent and very attentive. I don't think my water glass ever has been less than half full.

As for dress code, pretty much no ripped or torn clothing, swimwear, or foul language on your shirt. There are often a lot of convention folk dining so you'll see business dress or business casual a lot. My ex used to wear jeans or khaki shorts, a polo and sneakers (that was park wear). I usually wear a sundress and sneakers in the parks so that was always fine. Once we all wore shorts and football jerseys and no one batted an eye (then again the menu is also presented on a football).
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

I always get mine med rare. Never had a problem. Did you ask him why?
Nancy
Old 11-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
quirty30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyfan View Post
I always order my cowboy cut medium rare. If I was told I could not order it this way I would get up and leave paying for what we ate at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
My family likes the cowboy and prime rib. Never had a problem ordering medium rare. Quirty, you definitely should have spoken to a manager. I've never had a bad meal there and service has always been excellent and very attentive. I don't think my water glass ever has been less than half full.

As for dress code, pretty much no ripped or torn clothing, swimwear, or foul language on your shirt. There are often a lot of convention folk dining so you'll see business dress or business casual a lot. My ex used to wear jeans or khaki shorts, a polo and sneakers (that was park wear). I usually wear a sundress and sneakers in the parks so that was always fine. Once we all wore shorts and football jerseys and no one batted an eye (then again the menu is also presented on a football).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
I always get mine med rare. Never had a problem. Did you ask him why?
Nancy
The waiter said the bone-in ribeye had to be cooked at least medium for the "flavors to meld correctly" or something to that effect. Since he let a man at the table next to us order it without question a few minutes later, I can only wonder. But he was very adamant about it with me. Something else that really bothered me, was that he substituted one of the 3 half bottles in my $125 wine flight. Of course, I didn't notice until after he had opened the 1st bottle. When I questioned him, he said, "yes, we were out of the Swanson Merlot, so we substituted the Franciscan Magnificat. It's better." Better is a matter of opinion, and it should have been for me to decide, not him. I felt like he was very condescending to me. Like I wasn't capable of making my own decisions. But it was my birthday and I was getting a free entree, so I didn't want to complain. Even with the free entree and a free dessert, I spent almost $400 including tip.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

As noted the dress "code" is the same as for all other Disny Signature restaurants.

We do Shulas each trip--always eat at the small bar. The Porterhouse is excellent as is the Steak Tartare appetizer. And the bacon wrapped shrimp are also very good.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The waiter said the bone-in ribeye had to be cooked at least medium for the "flavors to meld correctly" or something to that effect. Since he let a man at the table next to us order it without question a few minutes later, I can only wonder. But he was very adamant about it with me. Something else that really bothered me, was that he substituted one of the 3 half bottles in my $125 wine flight. Of course, I didn't notice until after he had opened the 1st bottle. When I questioned him, he said, "yes, we were out of the Swanson Merlot, so we substituted the Franciscan Magnificat. It's better." Better is a matter of opinion, and it should have been for me to decide, not him. I felt like he was very condescending to me. Like I wasn't capable of making my own decisions. But it was my birthday and I was getting a free entree, so I didn't want to complain. Even with the free entree and a free dessert, I spent almost $400 including tip.
$400!!!!!!!! How many people where you dining with???!!! Eek, that's crazy, I'd never pay that for one meal!!!!! That's my whole 5 day food budget and I've got a reservation there for Dec 6/ second guessing it now!!!!! Sounds like you should have tried to talk to a manager regarding your servers attitude, he definitely could use some adjustments!

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
When I questioned him, he said, "yes, we were out of the Swanson Merlot, so we substituted the Franciscan Magnificat. It's better." Better is a matter of opinion, and it should have been for me to decide, not him.
Yes, he should have notified you and allowed you to select from a range of other options. But in the end, he was right. The Magnificat is the better wine.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
$400!!!!!!!! How many people where you dining with???!!! Eek, that's crazy, I'd never pay that for one meal!!!!!
The prices of the food items are not out of range with other Signature restaurants. As I posted in your other thread, Shula's compares quite evenly with Yachtsman. But a good bottle of wine (or 2) coupled with cocktails for those so inclined can drive up the cost. But this is true everywhere.

Compare:

Party of 2 orders:
  • Scallop appetizer-$14
  • Caesar Salad-$11
  • 20 oz. KC Strip (split for two people)-$44
  • Order of Broccoli-$8
  • Key Lime Pie (shared between two people)-$8
  • Ice water and soft drinks for the table-$8
Total Cost=$93, or $46.50 per person before tax and tip.

vs.

Party of 2 orders:
  • BBQ Shrimp appetizer-$15
  • Seared Tuna appetizer-$16
  • Caesar Salad-$11
  • Wedge Salad-$10
  • 20 oz. KC Strip-$44
  • 24 oz. Porterhouse-$45
  • Order of Broccoli-$8
  • Order of Potato Gratin-$9
  • Sauteed Mushrooms-$8
  • Molten Lava Cake-$11
  • Creme Brulee Trio-$10
  • Bottle of Cabernet-$250
  • 1 glass or Port-$18
  • 1 glass of Ice Wine-$21
Total Cost=$476, or $238 per person before tax and tip.

Sometimes we do the former, and sometimes we do the latter. It doesn't have to break the bank. But if you go deep into the wine list, spending $400 for dinner is pretty easy.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
OP, if it's the porterhouse your daughter likes, I hear Yachtsman has it back on the menu. But if she loves REALLY big steaks, Shula's has a 48 oz. porterhouse that's free if you finish it.
We've been to Shula's several times. If I recall correctly, I don't believe the 48oz Porterhouse is free if you finish. I've always known you had to pay for it but you get your name and plaque for their 48 oz. Club.

http://www.donshula.com/shulas-clubs/48-oz-club

http://www.donshula.com/images/pdfMe...do-sh-menu.pdf

Last edited by Thumper_Man; 11-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Thumper_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Melisa1
DIS Veteran

It's been a few years since we have been to the Shula's at WDW, but it was awesome!
DH ordered the 48oz and it was not free, but you do get enrolled in their 48oz club and your name on the website if you finish - which he did, but was miserable for a few days after....
I remember having the filet and it was really great! I would recommend trying it once - it is not cheap though.
If you are football fans, you will like it as your menu is on a football.
Enjoy!

Shades of Green & Hard Rock Hotel October 2009
Paradise Pier Resort at Disneyland July 2012
Shades of Green & Royal Pacific Resort May 2014
Polynesian & Portofino Bay Resort October 2015
Melisa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: