Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #271
Suziannie
Mouseketeer

So happy to see someone using a Fastpass for the parade viewing! I've been thinking about doing this for our upcoming trip and have been on the fence about it. But I love how close it looks!

I can only hope my photos come out as nicely. Did he use a tripod?

Completed Christmas Trip Report: December 2013

Resorts I've stayed at so far:
Caribbean Beach 2007/2008 Christmas & New Year's Eve
All Star Movies 2008 Food & Wine, 2011 Honeymoon, 2013 Christmas trip
Art of Animation 2013
Shades of Green 2013

Upcoming: Shades of Green December 2014!!!
Suziannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #272
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I love the placement of the castle in the MSEP parade pictures. Those are really nicely framed.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #273
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
oh no - sorry to hear that Franklin lost his BD .... I wonder if that is becoming an issue as I could see that happening a lot! Hope it was a smooth process for him to get the replacement
I think I lost it when I was getting off of a ride. It may have caught on the backpack strap when I was trying to put it on.

Quote:
I know you commented on his MSEP photos (which are great) but I wanted to mention how great I thought the photos from HM came out - some of the best/clearest I have ever seen!
Thanks! It's a very tough setting to shoot. We actually got lucky and the ride stopped in the attic with Constance and her husbands.

Quote:
Also, neat and different view of Wishes with Ariel in the foreground!
I've taken photos of wishes from main street tons of times. Now I want to try different areas. Spice things up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
I don't think you're obligated to say that those are the best pictures Franklin has taken, because he's taken some pretty awesome shots... it would be hard to choose!

I haven't used FP+ for anything nighttime yet, but I will be for the parade viewing! You're the second person I've seen that has used it for that, and seriously, that's an incredible spot. Definitely on my list!
Thanks! If you do use it for MSEP get a spot slightly off center of the castle, just to the left. That way you would get the front of the float with the castle. When you sit dead center, all you get is just the side of the floats if you try to keep the castle in the shot. Because you are so close, shoot as wide as possible.

Also of note, most parades go the opposite direction. So you would have to sit off center to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan77 View Post
I finally got to eat at Ohana's for dinner on our trip last year. Man, was the food delicious!! We were seated near the wood too which didn't work in our favor since my son and niece couldn't see what was going on. Oh well, maybe next time we'll get a better seat!
Love the amazing firework photo with Ariel! That is a great angle!! Looks like you all had another fun and relaxing Disney Day!
Thank you! It took a couple fireworks set to get the framing right. I was right next to the FP+ entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suziannie View Post
So happy to see someone using a Fastpass for the parade viewing! I've been thinking about doing this for our upcoming trip and have been on the fence about it. But I love how close it looks!

I think I answered this question on our Facebook page, but I'll post it here for everyone.

I did not use a tripod for this parade. I was shooting super-wide, 16 mm f/2.8 on a full frame. Kept the shutter speed up at 1/30th. Only needed ISO 800. You want to expose just for the light bulbs and keep it a bit darker anyway. Too bright and you'll see too much of the float's structure, ruins the magic a bit. I was also sitting on the ground to properly frame the castle in the background. As I mentioned above, sit slightly off center to the left, so you get the front of the float and the castle in the same shot.

I did use a tripod for the Boo to You parade on our engagement trip back in October 2012. That time I was using a zoom lens with a smaller aperture, f/4. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post48806825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I love the placement of the castle in the MSEP parade pictures. Those are really nicely framed.
Thanks! I'm happy someone noticed. Missy grabbed the spot I wanted.

I was excited to shoot there, but was frazzled from running back from City Hall dealing with my lost magic band. Then I realized, how I would meet Missy in the FP+ viewing without a MB? At this point I didn't want to get a new MB, hoping mine would turn up later in the night, and didn't have time since MSEP was starting soon. The CM at City Hall gave me a phone number in case they needed to confirm me w/o a magic band. (The CM's at the FP+ viewing location do not have a way to look up people that have a reservation w/o a MB.) Luckily, they were having technical issues scanning. The CM at the FP+ area saw Missy waving at us and let me through. And all was good.

You want to sit slightly off center to frame it up nicely.

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #274
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post

Thanks! If you do use it for MSEP get a spot slightly off center of the castle, just to the left. That way you would get the front of the float with the castle. When you sit dead center, all you get is just the side of the floats if you try to keep the castle in the shot. Because you are so close, shoot as wide as possible.

Also of note, most parades go the opposite direction. So you would have to sit off center to the right.

Awesome tips, Thanks! Now where is that notepad I said I was going to put here?
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #275
sunfun94
Is it Football season yet?

Ohana's was fantastic... TBH, I thought it was going to be the place that our uber picky DD (6yr) was going to turn her nose up at and as it turned out, we had to drag her outta there! She ate EVERYTHING! hahaha... I think it was the most she had eaten in 3 days..

We had FP+ for Wishes and WOW... all I can say is WOW... we absolutely loved it!!! To this day it has to be one of the top moments on my list from that trip... to not be crowded, to get such amazing pics, to able to SIT DOWN and be comfy... for Tink to fly right over us.. the girls had a blast and watching the show with all of us together was the thing I was looking forward to the most... it did not disappoint.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #276
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

Reading Flat Ben's adventures was one of the most fun trip reports I've ever read!
That is so sweet of you to say!

It seemed like The Adventures of Flat Ben report practically wrote itself. I guess that's because it was other people writing about his experiences.

I loved the perspective of the MSEP pictures and the fireworks with Ariel in the foreground, but I swear when I looked at the pictures I thought

"Joan of Arc!"

We really do need to make it back to 'Ohana. Did you enjoy having seating where you could watch the grill?

Dessert first works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

I love the colors in this picture, the pink and blue of the sky. Makes all of the VGF pictures look magical, then...

WHAM!

There's Medusa!

What fantastic HM pictures!

Last edited by natebenma; 03-12-2014 at 05:18 PM.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #277
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

Heck, I figured I'd start following your TR from OCT and post here! I think your FP+ for the parade viewing might have convinced me to do FP+ for MSEP!

I'm only 5'1" so I always need to get to a place way early to get in front..LOL.

Also, I don't love people pushing and shoving either...("C'mon people! It's MAGICAL dammit!!" LOL...

Can't wait for your next installment and Franklin's pics kick ***.
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #278
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Your O'hana pics are making me drool. YUM!

Nighttime photos at MK are hard to beat, between the parade and the fireworks --- beautiful!!

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD3 Baby #2 (Coming, March 2015!)

WL-January 2015; DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #279
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002

I added ’Ohana to my list of ADRs for my solo time during my May trip. What I’m considering for that meal is to eat the dinner backwards: start with the bread pudding and move backward from there! That’s the problem with ’Ohana, everything is so good that by the time you get to the bread pudding (which is the best part of the meal), you’re already too full to eat very much of it! What do you guys think of the backward meal plan?

Good plan indeed! It's a well known saying:

WHY TAKE CHANCES? EAT DESSERT FIRST!

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #280
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
You don't think I'd be laughed off the plane? I guess it would be something they'd expect if I'm heading towards Orlando right?

I'm going sooner than that, but haven't been giving dates since I had an incident on my last PTR/TR! Looking forward to a flower-ful Epcot; it should be beautiful! I'm terrible at gardening, but I love flowers and topiaries.

Oh yay, a solo trip! My first one was so much fun! I stayed at AKL and got to enjoy the resort as well as the parks! My recommendation would be to BE FRIENDLY! To the CMs, to the people in line, to the people you meet while eating. I was super friendly to my check-in CM because I was so excited and was upgraded to a savannah view! And I met the nicest people while I was there. On my last solo trip in November, I made sure to sit and have a drink in Epcot and just soak in the surroundings - it is so different when you're alone, and in a good way. You'll have a great time!

I'll be back in October to finish my AP year; my mom and I are doing 10 days. It will be so different to be on a trip WITH someone!
Oh, I plan to soak in LOTS of atmosphere while I'm there solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan77 View Post
I finally got to eat at Ohana's for dinner on our trip last year. Man, was the food delicious!! We were seated near the wood too which didn't work in our favor since my son and niece couldn't see what was going on. Oh well, maybe next time we'll get a better seat!
Love the amazing firework photo with Ariel! That is a great angle!! Looks like you all had another fun and relaxing Disney Day!
We just started to plan our December trip and instead of deciding whether to eat at 'Ohana on our last night (which we did the last time this whole group was at Disney) or eat there early on during the trip, we've just decided to go twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suziannie View Post

The FP+ spot for the parades is a very cool location. And as you saw, it makes for some pretty awesome photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
Awesome tips, Thanks! Now where is that notepad I said I was going to put here?
Google Docs, that way you get to your notes from your phone while you're at Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfun94 View Post
Ohana's was fantastic... TBH, I thought it was going to be the place that our uber picky DD (6yr) was going to turn her nose up at and as it turned out, we had to drag her outta there! She ate EVERYTHING! hahaha... I think it was the most she had eaten in 3 days..

We had FP+ for Wishes and WOW... all I can say is WOW... we absolutely loved it!!! To this day it has to be one of the top moments on my list from that trip... to not be crowded, to get such amazing pics, to able to SIT DOWN and be comfy... for Tink to fly right over us.. the girls had a blast and watching the show with all of us together was the thing I was looking forward to the most... it did not disappoint.
Got any photos from the FP+ spot for Wishes? I'd love to see what the view looks like. I do love the idea of spreading out on the grass, almost like a picnic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
That is so sweet of you to say!

It seemed like The Adventures of Flat Ben report practically wrote itself. I guess that's because it was other people writing about his experiences.

I loved the perspective of the MSEP pictures and the fireworks with Ariel in the foreground, but I swear when I looked at the pictures I thought

"Joan of Arc!"

We really do need to make it back to 'Ohana. Did you enjoy having seating where you could watch the grill?

Dessert first works!

I love the colors in this picture, the pink and blue of the sky. Makes all of the VGF pictures look magical, then...

WHAM!

There's Medusa!

What fantastic HM pictures!
WHAM! There's Medusa... That would make an excellent TR title! Those photos do make Ariel look fairly warrior-esque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei528 View Post
Heck, I figured I'd start following your TR from OCT and post here! I think your FP+ for the parade viewing might have convinced me to do FP+ for MSEP!

I'm only 5'1" so I always need to get to a place way early to get in front..LOL.

Also, I don't love people pushing and shoving either...("C'mon people! It's MAGICAL dammit!!" LOL...

Can't wait for your next installment and Franklin's pics kick ***.
Glad to help with the FP+ decision-making process! I know the struggles of being short, gotta take the height help where you can get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieODC View Post
Your O'hana pics are making me drool. YUM!

Nighttime photos at MK are hard to beat, between the parade and the fireworks --- beautiful!!
I love night time at Magic Kingdom, it feels extra magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTinking View Post
I added ’Ohana to my list of ADRs for my solo time during my May trip. What I’m considering for that meal is to eat the dinner backwards: start with the bread pudding and move backward from there! That’s the problem with ’Ohana, everything is so good that by the time you get to the bread pudding (which is the best part of the meal), you’re already too full to eat very much of it! What do you guys think of the backward meal plan?

Good plan indeed! It's a well known saying:

WHY TAKE CHANCES? EAT DESSERT FIRST!
An excellent mantra to live by!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #281
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Welcome back friends! We last left off with a night full of lights and fireworks at Magic Kingdom. We slept in again, once we woke up and got ready, we were off to MK again.

It was a bit of an overcast day, but that wouldn’t slow us down at all.

It was a party day, so the park wasn’t too crowded!

We got to the end of Main Street just in time to watch the Trolley Show before our lunch ADR.

We checked in for our lunch at The Plaza and were seated fairly quickly. We are very much creatures of habit when it comes to eating at Plaza. Franklin had his root beer float.

And we split the cheesesteak and a hot fudge sundae.

Franklin like the condiment hidden Mickey that had been placed on our table.

We paid the bill for our quick lunch and wandered back up Main Street, we had a date with the Mouse!

But this wouldn’t be just any meeting with Mickey, this was our very first meet and greet with a talking Mickey! We could actually talk with Mickey!

Mickey congratulated us on the wedding and said he was so excited we had come to visit him!

Mickey and I even shared a quick dance.

'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #282
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

After that magical encounter with Mickey, we walked back up Main Street -- toward Fantasyland.

Since we’d had so much fun with Mickey, we thought another couple of M&Gs were in order. First up? Cinderella!

My handsome prince!

Cinderella was truly lovely and so much fun to talk to. We had to practically tear ourselves away, but it was time to meet Aurora.

She was lovely too, slightly less talkative than Cindy, but lovely nonetheless.

It was time exercise our vocal chords, Mickey’s Philharmagic style!

Franklin kept taking photos during the show and I kept pestering him about why he was doing it. “It’s a 3-D movie, they’ll never turn out.” Well, by now I should know not to question Franklin and his photography projects…

That fast and furious sing along is where we’ll stop for now, but you’d better not go anywhere. This Disney trip goes out with a ridiculously big final-night meal. It’s a chapter you definitely don’t want to miss!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #283
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

TALKING MICKEY! I'm not a character person, but I would love to meet talking Mickey so much!!

WOW, those pictures of Philharmagic! I want to look at them over and over again; they're astounding! And I love the saturation of color in them. Truly amazing pictures.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #284
sunfun94
Is it Football season yet?

To go back a little... I do have pics of Wishes from our FP+ vantage point.. granted not Franklin quality but Im sure you will get the point.. hahaha! Now i just need to figure out how to post them!

Fantastic update!!I was so excited to see your post on FB! You must be getting so excited for your solo trip!

Last edited by sunfun94; 04-07-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: forgot to mention ...
sunfun94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #285
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I like your Soul Mate tee-shirts. They are perfect for the two of you.

Franklin's pictures of the Philharmonic make me want to go see it again. I've only been there once, nine years ago, and I don't remember the pictures looking that good. Franklin makes the show look really good.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: