Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

We must be mad!

INTRODUCTION

Well, here we are 3 days before our trip and beginning to wonder if we are mad (as in crazy). I hope that you will follow along as this crazy train departs!

WHEN: November 18-24, 2013

WHERE: Polynesian

WHO: Me, my best friend and our 5 kids (You see...5 kids + 0 husbands = crazy)

WHY: I'm an authorized Disney vacation planner on the side and my agency had a contest last year. Whoever had the most Disney sales between 10/01/12 and 06/01/13 won a free trip. Well the girl who NEVER wins anything (ME) won!!! I can still hardly believe it. My husband recently took a new job as an administrator at our high school and also started grad school so there was no possibility of him being able to go for the next two years. I would have been patient but he insisted I ask my best friend to go. He must be crazy too! So, with his encouragement I asked and she said YES (actually HELL YES ). I'll talk more about her below. We upgraded and extended the free trip a bit and hope we have planned the perfect trip.

THE CAST:

NIKKY (Me) - I'm cheating and copying most of this from a previous trip report. My greatest blessings are my sweet husband, Travis and our 3 children: Hayley (17), Caya (8) & Jack (2). I'm a Systems Engineer within the Decision Support Services Department at our local hospital. I love my job but I am no career woman...I am simply a Mom that has a career. I'm also a Disney Vacation Planner in my spare time. This is how I survive my Disney addiction between trips as well as how I fund my vacations! I'm involved with the high school Booster Club and the grade school PTO. I love to travel and enjoy the planning just as much as the traveling. I have been to Disney around 20 times. My Dad was a workaholic but when we went on vacation, WE WENT ON VACATION! No expense was spared at Disney. We always stayed Lagoon View/Club Level at Polynesian (my parents really enjoyed their time at the resort) and some of my happiest memories are there. I lost my Dad in 2009 and I think that is why Poly still calls me back. One day I hope to splurge and stay Lagoon View/Club Level again but for now, we will enjoy just staying in a Standard Room. Not like you can be slumming it anywhere on Disney!

(Sorry...just had to take this pic, don't have any of myself on my PC...and I sure did where my Going to Disney shirt to my last day of work, mostly to annoy my co-workers who think I go overboard for Disney)

NICHOLE - My best friend since the age of 3. That sounds like such a simple statement but she is truly the BEST FRIEND I could ever ask for. Growing up, she always came to Disney with me and my parents so I'd have someone my age to be with. We have probably been together 6 or 7 times. She shares my love of Disney and Poly so when we knew we were going together we knew we HAD to stay at Poly. My Dad wouldn't want it any other way! She is a nurse at the same hospital I work at. Her Mom is my Godmother, she is my daughter's Godmother and I am her daughter's. We are much more like sisters than friends. Her husband is just as amazing as mine...nothing but excitement and encouragement for us to enjoy this trip together.

(She's going to kill me for this one but it's all I have at the moment...we decided to get very ambitious and sew skirts for our girls...neither of us have sewed since 7th grade Home Ec. Thank GOD for my Mom and her sewing machine!)

HAYLEY - My oldest princess, she just turned 17. This girl is gorgeous and has NO IDEA!!! She's just as beautiful on the inside. She is a senior this year! boohoo She's a cheerleader, golfer and runner and also an FFA Officer. She has gotten absolutely everything out of high school one possibly could and loved every second of it. She's actually the only senior I know of who wants another year of high school. She's been going to Disney since she was one and loves it almost as much as her Mom. She got to cheer in the ABC Christmas Day parade taped at Magic Kingdom last year. It was an awesome experience and her and I got to have a special Mom/Daughter trip to Disney. I hope I get to do that with my other two one day also.

CAYA (on right) - My little firecracker! She will turn 9 the day we go to Disney. She shares her birthday with Mickey and Minnie and is super excited to spend it with them at Disney World. She's a tiny little thing but there is a whole lot of personality in the little body. And attitude...we like to call her Princess Boss! She's in 3rd grade and just loves being a kid. She does golf, softball, swim team and cheer and aims to be just like her big sister!

JACK (on left) - Jack is 2 and the boy I didn't think I wanted. I really thought we would have only girls and was shocked to find out he was a boy. I had no idea what I would do with a boy, especially if he didn't like sports. Neither my husband or I are into other "boy" things like hunting, fishing, super heroes, etc. Well let me just tell you, this boy came into the world and stole my heart! I couldn't love him more and I can't imagine my life without my little boy in it. It's still yet to be determined if he will like baseball or star wars but it doesn't matter...we'll figure it out when we get there. For now, his love is Woody! And if he could be Woody in real life, he would. I can't wait to see him see Woody!!! This will be Jack's 2nd trip but he had just turned one on the first trip so he has no idea what he's in for!

ISABELLA & ANDREW - Bella is 9 and Andrew is 7. These are Nichole's adorable children who I love like they were my niece and nephew. They actually call me Aunt Nikky. This will be there 3rd trip to Disney. Bella loves the princesses and Andrew loves Star Wars (maybe he can teach about it).

So, there are the basics! I'm excited to share our trip with you and I feel so unbelievably blessed to have the opportunity to be a kid again with my best friend and our kids.

TRIP REPORT INDEX
REVEAL PARTY
DISNEY CRAFTING
DISNEY MAIL
HOMEWORK ACADEMY
DISNEY EVE
AIRPORT ADVENTURES
GETTING THERE
MAGIC MONDAY AT MAGIC KINGDOM
MAGIC MONDAY AT MAGIC KINGDOM - AFTERNOON
MAGIC MONDAY - EVENING & OUR ROOM
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 19th - MAIN STREET & FANTASYLAND

Last edited by beyondblessed; 04-06-2014 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Adding Links
beyondblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

Hmmmm, anyone know how to make my pictures smaller! Kind of scary seeing a lifesize me glaring back at myself!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

Reveal party

REVEAL PARTY

We waited as long as we possibly could to tell the kids but did want them to enjoy a bit of the planning with us so we told them in September with about 2 months to spare. We tried to derive this elaborate plan but ultimately decided we just needed to do it. Caya, Jack and I drove up to Nichole's and had pizza with her family. After dinner, we played a quick game of Disney Headbands. On round 4 we put card in their headbands with their name that said "You're going to Disney World". It took them a minute to realize it meant they were all going and not just the person they were looking at. There was a lot of hugging, jumping and screaming and the planning frenzy began that very moment. (Hayley knew all along and was actually home sick they night we told them!)

UP NEXT: DISNEY CRAFTING

Last edited by beyondblessed; 11-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

Disney crafting

DISNEY CRAFTING

I don't know what it is but something about a Disney trip brings out my craftiness!

We made countdown chains at 60 days:

I love to see it get shorter and shorter!

Next were the button shirts I thought would be a piece of cake:

And then there are the skirts that we thought we would SEW...with a machine!!! Neither of us have sewn since 7th grade Home Ec. Thank God for my Momma...she was an angel helping us finish them!

UP NEXT: DISNEY MAIL

Last edited by beyondblessed; 11-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

Yay! A follower! Welcome Wiigirl! I love your signature quote. That was actually the name of my first trip report!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

Disney Mail

DISNEY MAIL

I LOVE all the extra mail and shopping preparing for a "proper" Disney trip involves.

We are thrilled to be trying out the new Magic Bands!

And I want to jump up and down in the street when I come home to a mailbox full of packages that I know hold Disney stuff!

UP NEXT: HOMEWORK ACADEMY

Last edited by beyondblessed; 11-27-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Joining in! Love the idea of a reveal party for the kids. The crafts are adorable too. Now I have a hankering to do a Disney theme night even though we don't have any upcoming trips planned...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. All of the WDW hotels are lovely, but it's funny how attached we get to the ones associated with childhood memories. My grandma and I mostly stayed at WL once it was built, so that's the only place I want to stay now, even though I like to visit the others for meals!
Planning DS's First Trip December 2016!

Last edited by Buntington; 11-15-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: fixing info
Buntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

Yay! Another follower! )

You should totally do a Disney Theme Night. I wish we would have had more time to do some before our trip. I think I will try to keep the magic alive with a few after we are home.

I'm so glad you understand my resort love and loyalty!!! )
Old 11-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

HOMEWORK ACADEMY

These next posts won't be pretty as I'm doing them from my phone but I want to keep updating a little just before and during our trip.

This morning was Homework Academy. I went and got Bella and Andrew and brought them back to my house so the kids could try to knock out all of there homework/make up work before our trip. It went well but Hayley (17 yr old) and my husband went to the school to study because the couldn't concentrate with the kids!

It was the perfect gloomy day to get this done!

UP NEXT: DISNEY EVE

Last edited by beyondblessed; 11-27-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
kimbo0569
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read more!

CBR - 1992/1993/1995/1997
1999 - GF - honeymoon
2000 -daytrip Epcot- F&W Festival 2001 POFQ 2003 -oldest dd's first day trip to MK/ dinner at OHana
2004 POR
2008 POR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1996562My first TR!
2013 CSR/Food & Wine Anniversary trip
kimbo0569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

Disney eve

DISNEY EVE

I had hoped to post a bit more of my preparations before our trip kicked off but we had a hiccup, to say the least. Saturday, after homework academy, I got a pedicure and then we attended the scrimmage game at the high school. My husband is the AD so he needed to be there and my oldest daughter cheers.

I had all the laundry done and planned to pack all day Sunday. Monday was our middle daughters birthday but we decided to celebrate on Sunday since Daddy was missing out on this trip and wouldn't see her on Monday. I got the kids clothes in zip-locs Sunday morning and drug about everything else out to the dining room before we headed into town for Caya's birthday lunch at Outback (her pick). Just as we were finishing up lunch, my sister in law called to tell us that the town she and many of our friends live in about 7 miles from our town was hit BAD by a tornado. We had them box up our desserts (no appetite after that news) and ran to the car. I couldn't get a hold of one of my best friends so I was freaking out. We went to Trav's Dad's farm first to make sure he was okay. He lost a barn and had a little damage to house. The house that they all grew up in around the corner but on the same square mile was GONE. Completely leveled! While there I finally got a text from my friend saying they were all okay but they had lost their house. We hopped in the car and went to help...it was crazy trying to get there. Power lines down everywhere and debris, like corn cribs and silos blocking roads. Once we finally got there, we had to park on the edge of town and walk about a mile to her house. I have never needed to hug someone as much as I did right then. We found every basket, bag and tub we could and filled them with anything we could salvage. It was probably about 3 when we started and it is dark by 5 so we didn't have much time. We loaded up several trucks and got out while we could. It was really, really hard leaving knowing what I was leaving behind.

We probably got home about 8 and I started packing as fast as I could.

I finished up right at midnight and hopped in the shower. I guess since its after midnight, its officially Disney Day but I'll start that in another post!

UP NEXT: AIRPORT ADVENTURES

Last edited by beyondblessed; 12-06-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
Britard
Mouseketeer

I am joining in too!! Loved catching up on the prep-your children are all adorable!

I also have a best friend that is like my sister (we have known each other since age 8, so you have a little more time on us).

Can't wait to see more!

Me DH DD DD DS

Disney Trips
2011- January (POP), March (AS sports), April (POR), May (ASMu), August (CSR)
2010- February (POP), April (ASMu), May (ASMo), September (POP), October (AS sports), December (ASMo)
2009- April, August (ASMu), November (FW)
2000- November Honeymoon (CSR)
1997-June (CBR)
And many numerous visits as a kid-mostly at FW
Britard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
kimbo0569
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear about all those affected by the tornadoes. Watching it on the news was awful enough, seeing it in reality, I can only imagine what it must be like. Prayers going out to all!

CBR - 1992/1993/1995/1997
1999 - GF - honeymoon
2000 -daytrip Epcot- F&W Festival 2001 POFQ 2003 -oldest dd's first day trip to MK/ dinner at OHana
2004 POR
2008 POR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1996562My first TR!
2013 CSR/Food & Wine Anniversary trip
kimbo0569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

Welcome Britard! Look at ALL your trips! Lucky!!!! Thank you for the compliment about my kids. Isn't is awesome having a best friend/sister! I seriously can't imagine life without her...she is like my "safe place" to fall. Always there, no matter what and always has been!

Thanks for the prayers Kimbo! That really means a lot and they really need them!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: