Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #1276
DisDance
Mouseketeer

What section is closes to the buses?
DisDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #1277
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

We almost always drive. We took one trip relying solely on buses, and it will be our last. The potential of being forced to stand with a baby and a stroller always bothers me. You would think people would have some manners and let a mom with a kid sit, and while many times they do, there were several occasions I was left trying to balance myself, a kid and our things while trying not to fall on top of people because my hands were too full to hold a rail. Although last trip we missed rope drop at MK because the monorail was down, then the ferry had problems, so we had to get on the resort monorail.... It was a mess. I'm pondering giving the bus one more chance next trip, but I'm nervous!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #1278
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnymomof4 View Post
We always use Disney transportation to the parks, even when we have our own car. We've stayed at many different resorts over the years, and I still say that, at least in my experience, Pop has the best bus service. They run pretty regularly and we seldom have to wait long for a bus. The only "problem" is at park close, the lines back to the resort get very, very long. This is true of most resorts though, and they usually have extra buses running at that time.
My upcoming trip will be my third time to stay at Pop. I never have trouble going to any of the parks, but getting back, especially from the MK, is torture. I had to wait for up to an hour a couple of times. But my last two trips have been for MNSSHP so that may have played a big part in the closing crowds. I did enjoy a couple of times catching the AOA bus and taking my time exploring that resort on the way back to my room

Regardless, I have decided to rent a car for the first time in May.

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #1279
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

Okay....starting to get a little spooked by the bus stories....

Disneyland '88, '93, Feb. '10, Jan. '11, Feb. '12, Jan. '13

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #1280
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy4DL View Post
Love the buses at Pop and AofA. We have had the best bus experiences at both these resorts and have never used a car to get to the parks or DTD.

Don't worry.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #1281
TheCollumsDoDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
I'd say each mode has its pros and cons. If I were you with my own car, I think I'd try car sometimes and bus sometimes. (I have yet to have a car when staying at a Disney resort, so I've always used the buses.) Driving to the water parks has some appeal to me, as those lots are much smaller than those of the theme parks. You also may have more stuff to take with you (change of clothes, towels, etc.) where a car would provide more flexibility. Driving to the theme parks - a pro would be not waiting for a bus and going when you're ready. The con would be parking in the lot and getting to the main gate -- you may be able to walk, or you may need to ride a tram. For Magic Kingdom in particular, you park in the lot and then take a monorail or ferry to the main gate vs. being dropped off at the main gate. I find the bus ride from a resort to Downtown Disney to be my least favorite trip (just seems like it always takes a long time) however, parking at DTD can be an adventure on its own. Probably would give the nod to a bus in this case.
Our first trip we stayed at All Star Movies and used the buses most of the time EXCEPT when going to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. For some reason every time the bus was slow, late, and packed. Much quicker and convenient to take our on car when going to those two parks IMO.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #1282
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Usually only the best spooky bus stories are told. Bus service for any resort is just fine.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #1283
Kat016
DIS Veteran

We used the buses in october and they wrre great. If one bus filled up there was usually a bus close by. And if you dont mind standing, youll find yourself getting on the bus a little faster. A lot of people wait for the next bus to sit. I dont care...whatever gets me in to bed faster lol
Kat016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #1284
Tuffy4God
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the thoughts on transportation to/from POP...it helps me figure out what will work best for us when we're there.
Tuffy4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #1285
bluezy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Most people will only share their "bad" stories. Keep in mind that for every negative bus comment you read, there are probably dozens (if not hundreds) of positive comments that are left unsaid.

We usually travel to Disney in June. We drive from PA but do not use our car once we get to Disney. We use the buses for everything. We've spent about 35 days in the parks over the last several years, I can probably count on one hand the number of times we've had to wait more than about 10-15 minutes (TOPS!!!) for a bus other than the few occasions we stayed at a park until closing and left during the mass exodus and we *expected* a long wait (even then, the longest we waited was about 25 minutes). Our longest wait for a bus was on a Saturday afternoon in May. We waited 40 minutes for a bus from The Grand Floridian to Downtown Disney....and then took the most convoluted route to get there. Counting the boat ride from MK to GF it took us over 90 minutes to get from MK to DTD that day.

We've always stayed at ASMovies, Pop, or AoA and found the bus service to be fine overall. We love the convenience of being able to get on the bus and just relax and not have to worry about driving ourselves back to the hotel. We're willing to sacrifice a few minutes of waiting time for the convenience of letting someone else do the driving. And in June, it's sooooo nice to be getting into an air conditioned bus rather than a car that has been sitting in the heat of the FL sun for 10-12 hours.
bluezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #1286
cfriend416
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel on Land View Post
We almost always drive. We took one trip relying solely on buses, and it will be our last. The potential of being forced to stand with a baby and a stroller always bothers me. You would think people would have some manners and let a mom with a kid sit, and while many times they do, there were several occasions I was left trying to balance myself, a kid and our things while trying not to fall on top of people because my hands were too full to hold a rail. Although last trip we missed rope drop at MK because the monorail was down, then the ferry had problems, so we had to get on the resort monorail.... It was a mess. I'm pondering giving the bus one more chance next trip, but I'm nervous!
IMO, it's just as bad manners to EXPECT people to give up a seat when they have waited just as long as you, if not longer. Is it a nice thing to do? Yes. But by no means should it be expected. EVERYONE is tired and would like to be seated after a long day at Disney, not just people with kids and strollers. Plus, you never know if the people you think are lacking manners have a hidden disability. You always have the option of stepping aside and being first on the next bus if you don't want to risk having to stand.

Sorry if I sound harsh. Nothing against you personally, I'm just offering some perspective.
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #1287
seenellie81
Mouseketeer

We have not had problems with the buses. They always work out fine. At closing they can be busy, but no more then any other resort. I do like that they do not share and they only have one bus stop. The only time I have maybe mumbled under my breath is walking to the last bus stop from the park to the hotel. Pops stop is the furthest away. Not far I am just tired and wishing I didn't have to go so far at the end of the day.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #1288
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy4God View Post
We'll have our own car when we're staying at POP. Does it make more sense to drive to each place from POP or to use the WDW buses? We'll be going to all 4 theme parks, both of the water parks and DTD.

Thanks!
This will be my first time staying at Pop. However, in my stays at other Disney resorts, I found that I really enjoy being able to park my car and not see it until I leave a week later. I love letting the Disney buses wisk me around the property!

I've grown accustomed to the long lines for the resort buses at the end of the night, so that really doesn't bother me. I figure by the time I wait for a parking tram, ride to my lot, get off, hike from the tram to my car, battle the traffic, and make the drive back... I may as well have just waited for the dang bus!

December 4-11, 2015 Art of Animation

September 2014, Pop Century - December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music
January 2002, Offsite - July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite

Last edited by Elevationist; 03-13-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Elevationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #1289
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfriend416 View Post
IMO, it's just as bad manners to EXPECT people to give up a seat when they have waited just as long as you, if not longer. Is it a nice thing to do? Yes. But by no means should it be expected. EVERYONE is tired and would like to be seated after a long day at Disney, not just people with kids and strollers. Plus, you never know if the people you think are lacking manners have a hidden disability. You always have the option of stepping aside and being first on the next bus if you don't want to risk having to stand. Sorry if I sound harsh. Nothing against you personally, I'm just offering some perspective.
I don't expect it. That's why we have driven ever since! ;-) Problem solved! Plus, from that trip's experience, we found the buses had the potential to take much longer than driving ourselves, so that's not the sole reason we gave up on buses. But driving is most definitely our preference.

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #1290
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

I know I pretty much bring the bad bus situation on myself by staying as late as possible at MK whether it is a special party night or evening EMH. I just love touring any of the parks after dark, but especially MK. I love all the lights and they have extras for MNSSHP!

I also know I push myself much farther at Disney than I do at home, sometimes until I can barely walk by the end of the night. I don't even realize it sometimes until I slow down and have to wait in the line with 100s of other exhausted people for the bus.

One trip I was in so much pain and ended up standing kind of between the tiedowns for the scooters and the row of seats. It was everything I could do not to out and out start bawling. Finally, a 20-something woman offered to let me have her seat. Maybe I wasn't as successful as I though in not wimpering!

But, that is why I am going to try a rental car for my May trip. There won't be any special party nights, but there will be 1 am EMH at MK so I know I will be there late again. I may just find myself stuck in a mass of people trying to get on the monorail or ferry but if that happens, well next time I will know I can go back to using the buses and save my money. I got a great rate with Dollar rental through SWA for like $138 for a week so it is not too much of a budget-buster. I figure it is worth a try!

P.S. - I agree with the others that say you only hear the horror stories or maybe the super great stories. Most people's trips are great and fun, but unless something happens that causes you to emotionally go to the extremely bad or extremely awesome, most of us never post anything. Even my story I told above represents 1 night out of a wonderful 7 or 8 night trip!

sorry I rambled a bit

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: