Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #661
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpiratee
Question! When are the pop warner groups there??
They arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving weekend (9 days after Thanksgiving Day).
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #662
CounselorX
Mouseketeer

Last work week before we arrive at Pop for a week. Feeling excited!
??? 2015

See our trip report with videos here!
CounselorX is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #663
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfost87 View Post
I think they'd hesitate to do so, because there is no cover around the pools and as we know, Orlando is prone to sudden flash thunder storms (mostly in the summer) and it would be a waste to have carts of towels out in the pouring rain.
this isn't the reason because they do have carts of towels poolside at the moderate and deluxe resorts. they are covered with plastic. it's just oneless amenitie, because it is a value resort.

as buzzrelly said, it is very easy to find a maid cart somewhere along the rooms and get a few towels.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #664
Janet B
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
daydreaming today! I cannot wait to be back at Pop. From that first sniff in the lobby, to the gin and tonics poolside, to watching the fireworks from lake view. I just want to be back there, soooooo bad!!!
Oh, now you did it!! I so want to be there as well... dreaming of a F&G trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounselorX View Post
Last work week before we arrive at Pop for a week. Feeling excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpiratee View Post
Question! When are the pop warner groups there??
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
They arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving weekend (9 days after Thanksgiving Day).
And we lived thru it Really it was not bad at all...POP had the younger age groups, and the groups/parents we encountered were very polite. Our dates were 12/3-12/9, which covered the first weekend of POP Warner.

Check out the Grooviest FAQ thread here: Pop Century FAQ Thread

TY Kook!
Janet B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #665
melnbil
DIS Veteran

I am about to explode! I am getting so excited. I can't wait to be back at Disney. This is our first stay at POP. My son picked it out because he wanted to stay in the Rubik Cube buildings.

melnbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #666
JamieLM
Mouseketeer

Is it terrible if I don't upgrade our room to preferred? Right now we booked standard. Is the difference just location? Thanks.
JamieLM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #667
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLM View Post
Is it terrible if I don't upgrade our room to preferred? Right now we booked standard. Is the difference just location? Thanks.
It's just location.
Many people on her actually prefer standard. We stayed in a standard room in the 50's last year and loved it.
If you have a section you'd think you'd like the theming of, you can request it. It's just a request, but they do a good job of filling those requests.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #668
MacDalt
DIS Veteran

We also had standard in the 50's. Very close to the main building with Food court and buses.

April 2000 October 2013 (Pop Century)
April 2002 Next: August 2014
April 2004
April 2006
April 2013
MacDalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #669
CounselorX
Mouseketeer

I also had a standard room in the 50's, 4th floor, building #2, close to an elevator and the ice machine, and not too bad of a walk to both hourglass lake and the food court. I really wouldn't rather any other room. I'm hoping I get a similar location in 4 days. Most of the preferred locations would probably be too noisy in my opinion.
??? 2015

See our trip report with videos here!
CounselorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #670
makochibi
Earning My Ears

Finally set a date to go back to WDW. Going 5/7-15/2015. We will be celebrating DH's birthday while there. Probably will also get anniversary pins and me a bday pin since both are in June and I refuse to go in the summer due to crowds. We debated on resort but decided to go back to Pop as we all loved it in September and the savings will be extra spending money (we were looking at doing POR). I can't wait to book and start really planning. So excited to be going back.

Me: WDW 1998-off site and WDW 2001-off site
DH: 3-5 trips to DL as a kid
DD: WDW 9/2013 (bday trip)

makochibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #671
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
check out the map that has the dif. room categories highlighted. that will give you the best info.

you could pay for a preferred room. and be in the 50's section, 4th floor as close as possible to the food court, bus stops... as the crow flies.

there is a stairway at the end of each building. but you could be on the 4th floor. on the very end AWAY from the elevator.

but someone could pay for a standard room and end up in the 50s section, 4th floor and be only steps away from the elevator.... thus more convenient to everything.

to me, it's not worth it, unless you are on the 1st or 2nd floor. and those, also, are only requests.

Last edited by smidgy; 01-22-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #672
smidgy
dimples

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...oriesFINAL.jpg

so the yellow highlights are preferred view. you can see how some of the rooms that are standard view would be more convenient that the preferred rooms if they are on the lower floors. ie, to us, one flight of stairs is no big deal, so floors 1 or 2 are easy.

Last edited by smidgy; 01-22-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #673
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

We are just back from 5 days in a "standard pool view" room at POP. We were in the 50s building #1 - it was the perfect location for us. At some of the other values and moderates I've kicked myself for not getting a preferred location, but Pop isn't so spread out that I feel the need for it. Save your money for Mickey ice cream bars.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #674
OnceUponATime15
Disney frequent flyer..

We did a preferred room in Dec at Pop. It was our first stay at Pop & we wanted the convenience of knowing we were close to the main building & busses. We were in the 60s section.

We spent our down time at the Bowling Pin pool in the 50s section & loved it. Next time we decide on Pop - I'm def requesting a standard view pool room in the 50s section or 70s section - those rooms are just as convenient as where we stayed.

OnceUponATime15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #675
Janet B
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnbil View Post
I am about to explode! I am getting so excited. I can't wait to be back at Disney. This is our first stay at POP. My son picked it out because he wanted to stay in the Rubik Cube buildings.
Awesome!! I hope you get your request for the 80s (we like bldg 9). Have a terrific time!

Quote:
As the others have posted, we actually prefer booking standard and request lakeview, upper floor, and either the 60s or 50s. With Pop's circular design layout, most rooms are within 4-7 minute walk to Classic Hall / Busing.

And yes, at POP, preferred refers to location only; there is no difference to the interior of the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
It's just location.
Many people on her actually prefer standard. We stayed in a standard room in the 50's last year and loved it.
If you have a section you'd think you'd like the theming of, you can request it. It's just a request, but they do a good job of filling those requests.
Yes, I agree, Pop is very good at meeting requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
We are just back from 5 days in a "standard pool view" room at POP. We were in the 50s building #1 - it was the perfect location for us. At some of the other values and moderates I've kicked myself for not getting a preferred location, but Pop isn't so spread out that I feel the need for it. Save your money for Mickey ice cream bars.
Sounds like you had a great stay!. And had some extra dough for those mickey bars.

Check out the Grooviest FAQ thread here: Pop Century FAQ Thread

TY Kook!
Janet B is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: