Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #106
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
Federal Desktop Core Configuration is what comes up when you type in those letter in google. Looks like a computer security patch. So either the poster is just making stuff up or mistyped. Maybe Fcc? Don't see how they would have any involvement.
The FCC might have some say on the card, but only for RF radiation testing approval, and not whether it was a "final product" as part of something else, commercial/monetary or otherwise. And I'm not sure the cards need ANY explicit FCC approval - they are old technology in use for years.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #107
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
Federal Desktop Core Configuration is what comes up when you type in those letter in google. Looks like a computer security patch. So either the poster is just making stuff up or mistyped. Maybe Fcc? Don't see how they would have any involvement.
lol it's the first thing that pops in my search too, but I assure you I'm not making it up.. I have no reason to, I won't be staying at POP on my upcoming trip so it doesn't effect me at all. I'm just trying to give you info to use. it's your choice to do so or not..
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #108
BayouMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
The FCC might have some say on the card, but only for RF radiation testing approval, and not whether it was a "final product" as part of something else, commercial/monetary or otherwise. And I'm not sure the cards need ANY explicit FCC approval - they are old technology in use for years.
I don't think it's the direct intent for use, but anything that has the potential of storing sensitive info must be passed through
Old 11-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #109
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
FDCC is a conjoined body between ANSI, the FCC, and IEC.
The RFID chip is the PRIMARY product being tested. Room keys, tickets FP+ are subsidiaries. Hence why I feel it falls down to the RFID chip.. I could be wrong, but as I said I deal with this daily and I don't see where i am.
I find no reference to such organization.

The RFID chip in the cards is OLD technology. If it even needed FCC approval, it was given years and years ago. I used such cards in the late 80s. Only the MagicBands are a bit different - and we're not talking about them here.

ANSI is a voluntary standards organization - they'd only be interested in standardizing for interoperability.

The IEC is an international organization similar to ANSI for technology-specific items.

Neither would have any say in any sort of "testing" and monetary value.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 11-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #110
MJ6987
DIS Veteran

So, it's only people who bought a package from Disney that are being penalised? If you bought room only and a third party ticket, you can still double dip away?

I feel sorry for people who bought hopper ticket packages.
MJ6987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #111
BayouMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill

I find no reference to such organization.

The RFID chip in the cards is OLD technology. If it even needed FCC approval, it was given years and years ago. I used such cards in the late 80s. Only the MagicBands are a bit different - and we're not talking about them here.

ANSI is a voluntary standards organization - they'd only be interested in standardizing for interoperability.

The IEC is an international organization similar to ANSI for technology-specific items.

Neither would have any say in any sort of "testing" and monetary value.
They however have say with technology being tested.. look we could go on and on with the third degree, im just passing my knowledge on, use it or don't. As I said it doesnt affect me. Just trying to ease minds..

As for fcc and old technology.. radio is old technology, but still regulated by fcc
Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #112
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
I don't think it's the direct intent for use, but anything that has the potential of storing sensitive info must be passed through
There is nothing stored on the card, so it doesn't apply.

The card is nothing more than a key. It allows access to certain information in a database that Disney keeps - just like any ID could be used, or a physical key. And it's RFID capabilities are nothing new, and are identical to all the cards currently in use. The only difference we are talking about is the lack of a magstripe, which again doesn't apply to anything that would require approval by a government organization.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #113
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

I'm now glad I purchased our tickets from Undercover Tourist. I took a gamble because of all the trouble people were having linking their tickets to MDE. But I had no trouble at all. Hopefully I will still be able to get FP-.

Although, we are taking this quick trip just to see the Christmas special things. I wanted to see Osbourne lights one more time before they go away (rumor) and now the garland on Main Street might go too. So, if all we do is see the special Christmas activities (like Candlelight Processional, Christmas Santas around the world, osbourne lights, and the Castle decorated) I will be happy. (Or at least I am convincing myself that I should be happy.)

I made my FP+ reservations for the things we MUST do. So at the very least we have those.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #114
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
They however have say with technology being tested.. look we could go on and on with the third degree, im just passing my knowledge on, use it or don't. As I said it doesnt affect me. Just trying to ease minds
It isn't the card that's being tested, really. It's Disney's ability to handle all the information.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #115
BayouMickey

Quote:

There is nothing stored on the card, so it doesn't apply.

The card is nothing more than a key. It allows access to certain information in a database that Disney keeps - just like any ID could be used, or a physical key. And it's RFID capabilities are nothing new, and are identical to all the cards currently in use. The only difference we are talking about is the lack of a magstripe, which again doesn't apply to anything that would require approval by a government organization.
As I said I dont think it's the intent,but has the POTENTIAL, see my example above
Old 11-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #116
MJ6987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6987 View Post
So, it's only people who bought a package from Disney that are being penalised? If you bought room only and a third party ticket, you can still double dip away?

I feel sorry for people who bought hopper ticket packages.
Also, isn't this kinda unfair for those who are basically helping Disney with their testing? I.e. they are not even getting the full FP+ functionality whereby you are supposed to be able to reserve additional FP+s on the day in the park. Added to which, the FP+s may not even work due to glitches.
MJ6987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #117
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
As I said I dont think it's the intent,but has the POTENTIAL, see my example above
Again, the chips used have already been approved. You CANNOT opt-out of a card that doesn't have the chip, since that is the only way into your room now. Putting them in a card that doesn't have a magstripe does not require re-approval.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #118
BayouMickey

Quote:

Again, the chips used have already been approved. You CANNOT opt-out of a card that doesn't have the chip, since that is the only way into your room now. Putting them in a card that doesn't have a magstripe does not require re-approval.
Ok I can see this is getting nowhere so im opting out this convo
Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #119
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6987 View Post
Also, isn't this kinda unfair for those who are basically helping Disney with their testing? I.e. they are not even getting the full FP+ functionality whereby you are supposed to be able to reserve additional FP+s on the day in the park. Added to which, the FP+s may not even work due to glitches.
Not sure where you get that they should be getting additional FP+ in the park...that's never been advertised.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #120
One Hit Wonder
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
I'm guessing they would work only if you used the physical ticket for admission. And if you didn't used the magic band or RFID card for admission, would your FP+ still work?
Ya FP+ would work. I was just curious if it will still be possible to pull FP- while using FP+ with UT tickets during this test. I guess time will tell.
One Hit Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: