Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
DaisyNY
DIS Veteran

Can you use Old-Fashioned Cash on the Dream?

Can you use Old-Fashioned Cash on the Dream or does everything get charged to your room? I have a small stash of cash that I have been saving for our trip and would rather not charge everything...

March '14...WL, Disney Dream, BLT, October '13...GF,
December '12...WL, June '11...WL
Before...Many other magical trips including Poly, POR, and CBR... LUCKY US!!!
DaisyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyNY View Post
Can you use Old-Fashioned Cash on the Dream or does everything get charged to your room? I have a small stash of cash that I have been saving for our trip and would rather not charge everything...
You can put the cash into your onboard account and use that, but the ships is basically a cashless society.

You can use cash for tips.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
DaisyNY
DIS Veteran

Thanks...I guess we'll use the cash in DW after the cruise and charge away on the ship!!!

March '14...WL, Disney Dream, BLT, October '13...GF,
December '12...WL, June '11...WL
Before...Many other magical trips including Poly, POR, and CBR... LUCKY US!!!
DaisyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

As mentioned you can apply cash to your onboard account and pay it off but everything at point of sale is put onto your Key To The World card (KTTW). So, over the course of the cruise you buy drinks, bingo, photos, excursions, etc. using your KTTW card you can then payoff that amount using cash by visiting the Guest Services desk. You just can't use it at your point of sale purchases. Cashless onboard means you order a drink, you hand over your KTTW card to pay. Purchase something in the gift shop, you hand over your KTTW card to pay, etc.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyNY View Post
Thanks...I guess we'll use the cash in DW after the cruise and charge away on the ship!!!
Re read the answer above, you can give your cash to front desk and charge against it. Servers and other places just don't take cash directly from you

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
bettysmith098
Earning My Ears

Will i be able to check my account balance everyday to see how much i have spent? Does it automatically update to my account same day?
bettysmith098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettysmith098 View Post
Will i be able to check my account balance everyday to see how much i have spent? Does it automatically update to my account same day?
You may stop by Guest Services each day and ask for a print-out; multiple times a day if you prefer. I'm not sure exactly how often the system updates info, it may not be instant (as in, you go to the gift shop and stop by Guest Services immediately after) but it should show later that day.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
bettysmith098
Earning My Ears

Sorry i forgot to ask. If at the bar i wonder if the tip is added same day on your account? I know when i order pizza delivery at home the tip gets taken out many days later from my bank.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Sorry i forgot to ask. If at the bar i wonder if the tip is added same day on your account? I know when i order pizza delivery at home the tip gets taken out many days later from my bank.
The tip is automatically included on any drinks -- you will receive a slip to sign and are welcome to add more, but be aware that it's already included. So yes, this will appear on your onboard account same day.

Showing on your shipboard account is not necessarily going to be when it hits your credit card or bank account. I believe they only do those transactions once your onboard account reaches $500 or so.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
bettysmith098
Earning My Ears

Really tip is already included for bar? i did already add the prepaid gratuities to my cruise. I am paying for my families drinks (adding money to their acct) They are used to tipping at bars 20% additional and i know they will think they have to do that on disney cruise also, none of us have been on a cruise before.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, you can check it. If you are on one of the new ships, you may check your balance on your stateroom TV as well as going to GS.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
bettysmith098
Earning My Ears

oh i actually just read, when you go to the bars 15% is automatically included. If that is the case then no need to tip more.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #13
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Really tip is already included for bar? i did already add the prepaid gratuities to my cruise. I am paying for my families drinks (adding money to their acct) They are used to tipping at bars 20% additional and i know they will think they have to do that on disney cruise also, none of us have been on a cruise before.

Thanks
I believe it's a 15% gratuity that is automatically added for drinks, unless that has increased recently.

The spa also automatically adds an 18% gratuity now.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #14
MyHappilyEverAfter
Earning My Ears

I believe you can check your stateroom balance on the TV in your room as well... It updates your charges pretty quickly.

DVC Members 2009 - BAY LAKE TOWER

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney
MyHappilyEverAfter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Minnie-Mickey
Mouseketeer

What you are thinking is exactly what I did last time. They hold a CC for charges. I would stop on the first day with my pile of cash and tell them to put it toward my room. I would go down every other day to check balance. If we were spending faster than planned I would add more. On the last night, I had money leftover. They gave me the cash back so no CC charges. They are very helpful with this and it did not even seem unusual. I am planning to do again. It works for me. We did charge tipping to the room so it can be done as well. It is surprising how the money goes fast. My DH had one drink, we bought a few items and shore excursions and spent 1500.
Minnie-Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: