Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #31
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m's mom View Post
A couple of things killed the DCL-Galveston itineraries.
One- there were precious few less-than-7-day cruises. We snagged one of the 8 nights they split in 2 4 days but they were very rare.
Second- They only came here primarily during the school year.
Excused absences are up to the individual school districts. Where I am you can take a week with prior notification with no penalty.
When we got on the ship we had carte blanche on Palo's. We ate there for brunch or dinner almost every day. Spa appts were there for the taking- Rainforest room constantly empty- you get the idea.
Our Palo waiter told us they were making no money w/ the people they did have onboard.
Howdy fellow Texan! (I'm your neighbor in Highland Village.)

Your experience out of Galveston sounds very similar to ours. (Ours was a 6-night.)

I think it would have been a completely different story out of Galveston if it had been in the summer.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #32
Starlitrn
Earning My Ears

Moved to TX 3yrs ago and just now realized that Disney cruised out of Galveston . Luckily we are on the Nov 30th WC cruise but wish we would have realized it earlier and taken advantage of it only being 3hrs away!!!
Hoping for New Orleans in 2015! Still doable!
Starlitrn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #33
Jey12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlitrn View Post
Moved to TX 3yrs ago and just now realized that Disney cruised out of Galveston . Luckily we are on the Nov 30th WC cruise but wish we would have realized it earlier and taken advantage of it only being 3hrs away!!!
Hoping for New Orleans in 2015! Still doable!

Agree on the New Orleans! We're hoping for a Halloween 2015 cruise out of that port.

To be honest I was excited for the Galveston sailings because airfare is so expensive and Galveston should have only been an 11 hour drive from my front door. I am not new to driving in the bigger cities. We drove through DC earlier this summer, it was bad. Like really bad. I would have rather been back in San Fran Friday rush hour than DC middle of the day traffic. NEVER had I seen anything like I experienced in Houston. I would rather take a bus to Florida than drive through there, even on a Saturday afternoon again. That alone would keep me from booking another Galveston sailing. Dallas took us 45 minutes to get through on a Friday early afternoon on the way down. No biggie. Houston took us 3 hours. On the way home Houston took us an hour, not bad. But Dallas took us 4 hours because of construction that was not marked so we could avoid it or even get out of it. Never again if I can help it. I've made the New Orleans drive a few times and I would gladly do it again over going through Texas. Even though New Orleans is 2 hours further away from my home, I can make it there 3 hours faster from recent experience.

Now nothing against the people of Texas. Everyone I met before and during the cruise from there was wonderful. We had a great time. I really feel for the local residents because I would totally lose my mind if I had to drive in that kind of traffic every day. I'm just saying as someone who considers a Galveston sailing to be one I should be able to drive to, and it wasn't really. I'm being quite honest when I say rush hour in Oakland, CA going into San Fran is better than middle of the afternoon weekend traffic in Dallas. On a good note the rush hour traffic here in KC has not seemed bad at all since I've been back.
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #34
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
Wow! Really? Have you thought about driving to Orlando? Gas is cheap in the US and it would be a great way to see a bit of the US.

Mike
REALLY ???? Maybe less expensive than Canada but still not cheap. FYI I spend $90 a week just to go to work and come back home
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #35
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m's mom View Post
Our Palo waiter told us they were making no money w/ the people they did have onboard.
Have heard this same statement from several crew members on the Wonder, including a couple of officers.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #36
Jey12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
REALLY ???? Maybe less expensive than Canada but still not cheap. FYI I spend $90 a week just to go to work and come back home
Gas is still expensive, but depending on what you're driving or how much traffic you are just sitting in it's not terrible for most people. From Kansas City International our flight cost for our trip 2 weeks ago at the cheapest for flying into Houston would have been around $340 roundtrip a person plus 2 checked bags. So flight cost would have been $1020 plus baggage fees. Gas each way was $100. No brainer for us to drive. Of course driving from Canada is a whole other story. Not only is there the gas, but also hotels and food. If we sail out of Florida next year and gas stays the same it will still be more cost effective for us to drive, the only issue is adding on 2 days to the start and finish of the trip so we'll have to take a shorter cruise. But normally airfare runs around $1300 for 3 to fly into MCO. Driving would run around $750, factoring in gas, 1 night at a hotel on the way and food. So driving still wins out. This is driving a minvan so not a gas guzzler, yet not a compact or hybrid either. And we don't have to worry about how heavy our suitcases are and have a lot more freedom with what we pack.

I also can spend around $100 on gas a week, but I also can put close to 700-800 miles on my car a week as well. This is driving to and from work plus toting the kiddo around to activities and normal errands and stuff just in our city. Vacation wise I can get pretty far from my home on $100 worth of gas.
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #37
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

Just read something in the news that Houston is actually paying princess $80k per cruise out of the new terminal. Numbers like that may actually convince dcl back, not going to say that's the best use if tax dollars but it probably means its a possibility
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
What is sad for some is happiness for others. My dad always said that someone has to wield the machate.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #39
ST1TCH
Eagerly anticipating our next trip to the World

No offense to DCL but they did it to themselves by choosing to sail out of Galveston during the school year. If they cruised out of Galveston during the summer it would have been a very different outcome. It shouldn't have been very difficult to research the TX school rules before deciding to come here and adjust accordingly.
ST1TCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #40
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1TCH View Post
No offense to DCL but they did it to themselves by choosing to sail out of Galveston during the school year. If they cruised out of Galveston during the summer it would have been a very different outcome. It shouldn't have been very difficult to research the TX school rules before deciding to come here and adjust accordingly.
Except the Med is a cash cow and Galveston is not. They wouldn't choose to sail there in the summer with the other options that are available.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #41
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1TCH View Post
I think DCL would pack the ships no matter where they cruised out of in the summer.

Mike
Old 11-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #42
fatfish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
The thing about Houston is that everyone drives like a maniac and they all carry guns.

Mike
Despite media portrayals to the contrary, we do NOT all drive like maniacs or carry guns. But we do hog-tie folks who talk smack about us!
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #43
mommy2allgirls
Stay out of the damn lakes!

I'm so sorry I didn't mean to start a debate or mean thread. I just wanted opinions on Galveston. Sorry :-(

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Lyme Blog
mommy2allgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #44
bliscum
Mouseketeer

I doubt the Disney will cruise during active hurricane season in the Gulf being Aug ans Sept.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #45
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliscum View Post
I doubt the Disney will cruise during active hurricane season in the Gulf being Aug ans Sept.
They cruise out of Galveston, PCC, and Miami now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: