Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
The port terminal for "Houston" has been sitting there for at least 2 years, maybe longer. We used to live in nearby Kemah. Would love to cruise from that port, tho. NCL & I believe Princess will have sailings from there next year.
Princess docked & had her first sailing out of Bayport just the other day.

Maybe DCL will somehow keep an eye on how Princess & NCL do out of Bayport (not that I even know if this can really be done by DCL; wishful thinking though) & if it's positive, maybe they'll come back to sail out of Bayport since it's it's nice & 'new' & such a better terminal set-up for cruise ships.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

we sailed out of Gal

Had great time, but port of New Orleans is offering to much and has the people already coming. Look for 4 month deal 2015.
DISNEY MAGIC FEB 9-13, 2013
DISNEYLAND 1954 OPENING YEAR & 1977
WDW 1972 OPENING YEAR
WDW 1974 THROUGH JUNE 2013 CAN'T COUNT
HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW 21 TIMES
RIVER COUNTRY
ROAD STEAM TRAIN IN FT WILDERNESS
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
Princess docked & had her first sailing out of Bayport just the other day.

Maybe DCL will somehow keep an eye on how Princess & NCL do out of Bayport (not that I even know if this can really be done by DCL; wishful thinking though) & if it's positive, maybe they'll come back to sail out of Bayport since it's it's nice & 'new' & such a better terminal set-up for cruise ships.
Yep! My DH saw the ship at the Bayport terminal on his way home from work on Saturday afternoon. I think part of the problem with that terminal location is that there aren't hotels like riiiiight there by it. But, the location is also a great proximity to JSC and Kemah so....who knows?

I'm totally eyeballing the NCL sailings from there, tho. I mean, that really is our backyard. So simple for us to sail!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 Disneyland sans kids
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #19
ocspartan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
My boys attended Texas schools before I pulled them to homeschool in the 7th & 9th grade. Attendance laws and enforcement thereof depends on each individual Independent School District (ISD). Where my boys used to attend pulling them for a week wasn't a big deal. I got the automatic letters when they reached 10 absences for the year but that's not even close to the limit so I really never paid it any mind. I figured if I got hauled into a courtroom there'd be no arguing the well above average grades.

One thing that's gaining popularity with parents in strict ISDs is to pull their students, sign off on the homeschool paperwork, then re-enrolling after they return. This negates the attendance thing. Technically the ISD can make it a PITA when re-enrolling but then that would also create a lot of work for the schools. I'm not saying I agree with or support this practice but I've heard about it quite a bit.
Great points the tx school laws are among the most ridiculous we've ever come across, out district says they will send the letter with potential court hearings after the 6th missed day in 6 weeks. And since the sailings were all scheduled. During the school year it makes it tough for lots of families.

Seeing that dcl attracts more of the family cruising how princess and others do out of Galveston probably isn't a great example.
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
carolmb
carolmb

We are sailing out of Galveston during Thanksgiving week. I am sure the cruises that are over the holidays and spring break last year were almost sold out. It is tough when the majority of sailings are during the school year. My kids are in 7th and 10th grades. I can't imagine the amount of work to make up even if the teachers did give them stuff to work on.

carolmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
Macmaro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmb View Post
We are sailing out of Galveston during Thanksgiving week. I am sure the cruises that are over the holidays and spring break last year were almost sold out. It is tough when the majority of sailings are during the school year. My kids are in 7th and 10th grades. I can't imagine the amount of work to make up even if the teachers did give them stuff to work on.
We are too and we did last year for Thanksgiving out of Galveston. I don't think it was sold out. I assume because of price. I hate being limited to school breaks.
Macmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmaro View Post
We are too and we did last year for Thanksgiving out of Galveston. I don't think it was sold out. I assume because of price. I hate being limited to school breaks.
We did the Magic out of Galveston for Thanksgiving last year too. Booked it well in advance, but hindsight showed it wasn't really necessary to do that.

We're going on the Wonder this Thanksgiving. Booked it 38 days before we embark with a pretty great VGT deal. Last I checked, they're still offering some *GT deals for it. Lots and lots of availability when I try to 'book' our family of 4 & we're now only 11 days out.

I do hope they'll come back in some capacity at some point & when they do, I hope the do come in the summer months as well. If they do come back, they've got to promote it better. They've done a terrible job promoting it in our local market. I live 20 minutes from the port & I've only ever seen ONE billboard for DCL in the Houston & surrounding area & that was on the north side of town back when the Magic first came to town. Nothing since then billboard-wise and TV ads for DCL in general (no promoting TX sailings in TX) have only just started in like the last 6-months.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
Macmaro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
We did the Magic out of Galveston for Thanksgiving last year too. Booked it well in advance, but hindsight showed it wasn't really necessary to do that.

We're going on the Wonder this Thanksgiving. Booked it 38 days before we embark with a pretty great VGT deal. Last I checked, they're still offering some *GT deals for it. Lots and lots of availability when I try to 'book' our family of 4 & we're now only 11 days out.

I do hope they'll come back in some capacity at some point & when they do, I hope the do come in the summer months as well. If they do come back, they've got to promote it better. They've done a terrible job promoting it in our local market. I live 20 minutes from the port & I've only ever seen ONE billboard for DCL in the Houston & surrounding area & that was on the north side of town back when the Magic first came to town. Nothing since then billboard-wise and TV ads for DCL in general (no promoting TX sailings in TX) have only just started in like the last 6-months.
We live closer to Dallas and they used to do fair bit of radio advertising. I, too, love that they were in Galveston. I like not needing to fly to a port.
Macmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2allgirls View Post
Does anyone think that maybe DCL may come back to Galveston in 2015 or 2016? It would make my world if they would but knowing my luck the answer will be no

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
As Phil said in the Hangover "Yeah...that's not going to happen."

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

I wish it would come back! Its a lot cheaper on airmiles for Western Canadians to fly to texas than orlando!
Right now we are looking at another cruise out of FL and the flights cost more than the cruise! Don't know if I can do that

Sailing on the Magic again! Jan 25, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #26
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78 View Post
I wish it would come back! Its a lot cheaper on airmiles for Western Canadians to fly to texas than orlando!
Right now we are looking at another cruise out of FL and the flights cost more than the cruise! Don't know if I can do that
Wow! Really? Have you thought about driving to Orlando? Gas is cheap in the US and it would be a great way to see a bit of the US.

Mike
Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

A couple of things killed the DCL-Galveston itineraries.
One- there were precious few less-than-7-day cruises. We snagged one of the 8 nights they split in 2 4 days but they were very rare.
Second- They only came here primarily during the school year.
Excused absences are up to the individual school districts. Where I am you can take a week with prior notification with no penalty.
When we got on the ship we had carte blanche on Palo's. We ate there for brunch or dinner almost every day. Spa appts were there for the taking- Rainforest room constantly empty- you get the idea.
Our Palo waiter told us they were making no money w/ the people they did have onboard.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
Wow! Really? Have you thought about driving to Orlando? Gas is cheap in the US and it would be a great way to see a bit of the US.

Mike
Yes, trust me, its a wishlist... but Alberta to Orlando would be a 5 day drive... easily... when you only have 3 weeks vacation a year... we'd rather not take them all at once! a co-worker did it a last year and I think it was 5 days with 13+ hr days of driving each day.

------

WDW August 7-14 2010
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78 View Post
Yes, trust me, its a wishlist... but Alberta to Orlando would be a 5 day drive... easily... when you only have 3 weeks vacation a year... we'd rather not take them all at once! a co-worker did it a last year and I think it was 5 days with 13+ hr days of driving each day.
Wow! I looked it up and it is over 2700 miles, I mean 4400 km from Calgary to Orlando. Google maps estimates it would take 41 hours. You would need a lot of vacation. We drove from Omaha, NE to Orlando last year and we stopped a few places on the way down and the way back. It was a great trip and we saw a lot of the South, but I wouldn't want 41 hours of driving each way.

Mike
Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

yup a lot of driving!! Our biggest drive was Calgary to Kansas City to see a friend, and we'll do that again but even that was tough on a 2 week trip.

However, that is our goal one day... might have to wait till we retire or the hubby gets 5 weeks vacation in 10 years I think... hahahaha

------

WDW August 7-14 2010

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: