Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #256
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
i wish Disney would post this ..[IMG][/IMG]
This is the sort of thing I was referencing. It seems to go well past "if you don't think FP+ is for you, it's best to cancel" and zooms right into snarking at those who decide to do just that. I mean, it WAS posted on a thread about canceling a trip due to all the uncertainty, so it seems logical that group is the trarget.

Overall, it ridicules those who are not on board with FP+ changes and do not want to blithely accept whatever Disney doles out while paying a fortune to be guinea pigs. You can think of it as whining, and I'll think of it as making a sound financial decision based on my family's vacationing desires.

Even if you are not talking about those who cancel and are simply targeting those who are unhappy with the uncertainty, constant changes and decreased options, I wouldn't call that post anything but snarky.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #257
robpa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Did you read my first post on this thread? I stated that I thought you were doing the right thing for you. Because, it's much better for someone to cancel rather than go, be miserable and then come here to complain.

I don't take it personally. I do think it's tiresome to hear all the gloom and doom but I do have an awareness that some just aren't happy unless they're miserable. Some don't adapt well to change. And yes, many are spoiled.

I'll say it again. If you don't agree with the changes, don't go. I fail to see why that's a "mean" thing to say. I think that people really expect that Disney will say, " The X family hates FP+. Quick, put it back the way it was!" It won't work like that, because most people not only don't mind it, they like it. There will be plenty of people to take the place of the disgruntled. That's not snarky, that's just being realistic.
Then why come into a thread that you know is all doom and gloom? Go find that puppies and kittens and rainbow thread that died real fast.
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #258
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
There will be plenty of people to take the place of the disgruntled. That's not snarky, that's just being realistic.
Perhaps Disney could take a Next Man Up approach if their main motivation was just filling the parks, but their investments demonstrate that they want to sell timeshares out the wazoo. Any move that disenchants repeat customers will definitely not support that obvious goal.

Maybe the purpose of MDE is to clean the slate of spoiled customers, and they mean to have lots of new customers with more reasonable expectations hooked to buy all the new DVC property memberships. I'm not so sure they can convert that many new customers before the Grand Floridian expansion is finished.

I am more confident that they can do it before their continental drift pace for park expansion gets going, which might be good because by then they'll probably need all new unspoiled customers.

[COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="2"]
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #259
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
Been going since 1975... I'm not upset about it.. Nor was I upset about the end of ticket books, the implementation of FP, dining plan etc. These are all frivolous things in the larger spectrum.
To you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
Actually, it's more along the lines of "you whining, spoiled brat, Disney-hating idiot." And that's the short version.
That's the nice version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
Then why come into a thread that you know is all doom and gloom? Go find that puppies and kittens and rainbow thread that died real fast.
I think that some people just want to give other people trouble. I got tired of it and I'll just say that the Ignore feature is a nice one.

I honestly still don't believe that chastising people for having concerns is going to get them to change their mind or quit going to WDW. I don't really understand the motivation for this but it doesn't seem to be working.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #260
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Ok, I have searched and cannot locate the Ignore Button. Can someone please help me out? I wish I would have known earlier.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #261
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherScott View Post
My bad. If your premise is that Disney will use FP to manage park capacity, how do you envision that in practice on the front end (advance selection)? Seems to me that they would have to either group or space individuals based on totality of that group's overall itinerary to achieve whatever goal they have in mind. What good does advance selection provide if the guest has first come, first served access to a day's selection. Baking randomness into a management plan? Doesn't make sense to me.

And what's they're goal: narrowing your window, expanding it, nudging you into routes within the parks for revenue pops?

I don't think Disney is rectifying any problem with FP. I think they are thinking years out.

JMO
Disney execs CFO said they are looking forward to getting as many people booked up in advance for rides. To do this people have to purchase tickets in advance. Get people to commit to as many days as possible at wdw. Also if fastpasses are difficult to obtain (and they will be) people will be less likely to waste them or skip a park day (thus spending more money). When Disney advertising goes into effect, fastpass+ acquisition will become much more of a planning challenge.

Disney people also see fastpasses as a way to get people to use the existing infrastructure more in lieu of building more attractions. Fastpass+ are designed to get people on high capacity rides like pirates and haunted mansion.

Magicbands are designed to wring out an additional 15% of cash out of people.

Interviews with Disney execs can be found in the link in my signature.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #262
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71
Yes, they do have the right to be upset. Others have the right to think it's a little early to panic just yet, and Disney has the right to run their business the way they see fit.
Voicing concerns is not the same as panicking. I'm getting a bit tired of the "doom and gloom", "panicking," (insert negative label here). I have not at any point used any names or negative adjectives for people who are thrilled about fp+. I know there have been a few select people who have gone that route, but *most* of the posters I see repeatedly posting about concerns they have are doing so respectfully. Those same said posters are also not what I would in any way call panicking. It would be nice to see the same in return.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #263
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbyparker View Post
Ok, I have searched and cannot locate the Ignore Button. Can someone please help me out? I wish I would have known earlier.
Copy the name, go into your User CP at the top left and then find the Edit Ignore List tab in the list on the left. That's how I do it anyway.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #264
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbyparker View Post
Go into UserCP on the upper left, Edit Ignore List.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #265
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Quote:
My bad. If your premise is that Disney will use FP to manage park capacity, how do you envision that in practice on the front end (advance selection)? Seems to me that they would have to either group or space individuals based on totality of that group's overall itinerary to achieve whatever goal they have in mind. What good does advance selection provide if the guest has first come, first served access to a day's selection. Baking randomness into a management plan? Doesn't make sense to me.

And what's they're goal: narrowing your window, expanding it, nudging you into routes within the parks for revenue pops?

I don't think Disney is rectifying any problem with FP. I think they are thinking years out.

JMO
It's a brilliant plan on Disney's perspective. Take a look at some of their C-level comments as well as some of the analysts' comments.

It seems you agree that this massive investment is geared towards the vast majority of Disney guests- 1st timers and casual visitors.

In order for them to do long term Capacity Management- what better way than to lock them into a specific Park, minimize Park Hopping and make them feel like they're getting value than having them commit to a Park and establish specific tracking based on their selection of FP+ times up to 60 days in advance?

Go over to the 2 hours and 10 minutes to book FP+ -is this fun yet? thread and you can already see it in action. Disney is pre-populating FP choices and times based on their (Disney's) needs.

You have a good handle on the benefits of the downstream measurement, but it is the upstream management that allows this to happen.

Objectively, this is a brilliant plan. However, it's still painful to many of those outside of the target group.
clsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #266
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Disney execs CFO said they are looking forward to getting as many people booked up in advance for rides. To do this people have to purchase tickets in advance. Get people to commit to as many days as possible at wdw. Also if fastpasses are difficult to obtain (and they will be) people will be less likely to waste them or skip a park day (thus spending more money). When Disney advertising goes into effect, fastpass+ acquisition will become much more of a planning challenge.
Once this system is fully rolled out, Disney wants as many people as possible to be locked in by booking FP+ in advance. I'm sure they will make it as easy as possible, even offering incentives for people to book early.

I see very little chance that same-day FP availability will somehow return to equilibrium once everyone is participating in FP+.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #267
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Copy the name, go into your User CP at the top left and then find the Edit Ignore List tab in the list on the left. That's how I do it anyway.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #268
OtherScott
Finding Humor In Just About Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post
It's a brilliant plan on Disney's perspective. Take a look at some of their C-level comments as well as some of the analysts' comments. It seems you agree that this massive investment is geared towards the vast majority of Disney guests- 1st timers and casual visitors. In order for them to do long term Capacity Management- what better way than to lock them into a specific Park, minimize Park Hopping and make them feel like they're getting value than having them commit to a Park and establish specific tracking based on their selection of FP+ times up to 60 days in advance? Go over to the 2 hours and 10 minutes to book FP+ -is this fun yet? thread and you can already see it in action. Disney is pre-populating FP choices and times based on their (Disney's) needs. You have a good handle on the benefits of the downstream measurement, but it is the upstream management that allows this to happen. Objectively, this is a brilliant plan. However, it's still painful to many of those outside of the target group.
Two things about this don't make sense to me:

Disney offers a high profit product in Park Hopper and this would tend to cut against it while promoting a lesser profit product - additional days. Maybe they make it up through increased concessions and with additional lodging of resort guests?

Secondly, MBs and RFID readers. Disney could achieve your goal of management with existing infrastructure. You could book FP+ online as planned, then use existing card tix and kiosks to print out FPs at park. No need for any new MBs and readers. But they didn't do that. They are investing mightily in disposable MBs and readers at FP attractions.

I don't know what their ultimate goal is, but the investment in the MBs and readers lead me to believe that comprehensive RFID capability may be the driver behind this. RFID enabled cards in pocket don't work as well as bracelets.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #269
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Two things about this don't make sense to me:

Disney offers a high profit product in Park Hopper and this would tend to cut against it while promoting a lesser profit product - additional days. Maybe they make it up through increased concessions and with additional lodging of resort guests?

Secondly, MBs and RFID readers. Disney could achieve your goal of management with existing infrastructure. You could book FP+ online as planned, then use existing card tix and kiosks to print out FPs at park. No need for any new MBs and readers. But they didn't do that. They are investing mightily in disposable MBs and readers at FP attractions.

I don't know what their ultimate goal is, but the investment in the MBs and readers lead me to believe that comprehensive RFID capability may be the driver behind this. RFID enabled cards in pocket don't work as well as bracelets.
This article about Pandora shows where magicbands are going. But I don't see the connection to FP+.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #270
OtherScott
Finding Humor In Just About Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
This article about Pandora shows where magicbands are going. But I don't see the connection to FP+.
Me neither.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: