Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
chip611
Mouseketeer

Disneyland for Easter 2014

We are going to CA just days before Easter! We are experts at WDW but are unfamiliar with what DL does for Easter. Do Mr & Mrs bunny do meet & greets? Is there a special pre-parade or decorations? Thanks!

chip611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip611 View Post
We are going to CA just days before Easter! We are experts at WDW but are unfamiliar with what DL does for Easter. Do Mr & Mrs bunny do meet & greets? Is there a special pre-parade or decorations? Thanks!
Sorry, no Easter bunny, decorations, or special parades. You might find some Easter-themed merchandise. That's about it.
longtimedisneylurker is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

As longtimedisneylurker stated, there has been almost nothing in the way of Easter decor. There is probably some merchandise here and there -- but not the bounty of it that you'd find for Halloween Time or the holiday season -- and you will find a few treats, such as Easter Bunny apples and cookies and things like that.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not sure what will be happening around Easter at DLR in 2014. So I sort of hesitate to even mention anything because I don't want to get anyone's hopes up when we can't be sure how DLR will observe Easter next year, if at all.

But...DIS'er (and recent DIS Unplugged Podcast guest) tayalltheway (Taylor) has a fantastic, well-written, fun, entertaining trip report -- or, as he calls it, a "life report" -- over in the Disneyland TR forum...and it features some Easter-related installments from earlier this year.

This year, as part of the whole Limited Time Magic thing, DLR had a few more Easter-ish things happening. Taylor did an egg hunt in DCA, and he got great photos of that. And then I think he went back another time -- or maybe it was the same day? -- and got some character pictures, if I am remembering correctly.

Here is the Table of Contents for Taylor/tayalltheway's life report. All of his Easter segments are linked in "Part III," as I recall. You'll see at least a couple of Easter-specific listings in Part III (Chapters 71 & 77, for example), as well as Spring-ish stuff too. If you have time to pull up those posts and read them or skim through them, I think you'll find it worthwhile! I was thrilled to see any signs of Easter in the parks!

Again, I have no clue what -- if anything -- will happen for Easter at DLR in 2014. They may do that egg hunt again. They may trot out some characters again. They may not do anything. But it is interesting to see what they did this year!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 11-06-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
SultanPprShkr
Look good up close, better from Jafar!

Last year they did quite a few things. Who knows if they will be doing a similar thing this year. Here's a link with video, from the Disney Parks Blog of what went down.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...eyland-resort/

If they do it again this year (which they totally should), it'd be pretty awesome. I also remember my friend doing a vinylmation egg hunt or something like that, where the egg hunt covered a good chunk of DCA (BVS, Hollywood Land, Bug's Land, and Cars Land) instead of just being inside the Redwood Creek Trail.
runDisney completed: DL Half '12, Tink Half '13, DL Dumbo '13, W&D '13, WDW Full Marathon '14, Tink 10k '14, EE '14 | runDisney upcoming: DL 5k+Dumbo '14, Avengers 5k & Half '14, Star Wars Rebel Challenge '15
JAFAR | World Of Color | IG @sultanpprshkr
SultanPprShkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #5
heidispidi
Mouseketeer

We will be there 13th to 20th April and am hoping for SOMETHING Easter-ish! The above responses have given me hope!

heidispidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I wanted to come back to this thread and report on my Easter/Spring experiences (or is it... eggs-periences?) yesterday at DLR, as I know I was saying here last year that I wasn't sure what DLR would do for Easter in 2014.

I'm sure that everyone who follows the Disney Parks Blog, The DIS and any other Disney-related site heard that the Easter egg hunt would be returning to DLR this year, and that the Springtime Roundup would be in full swing. That was all I needed to know! I missed the egg hunt last year, but this year I was determined to do it. I love a good holiday activity, and this was right in my wheelhouse!

Fellow DIS'er funatdisney and I did both egg hunts at DLR yesterday -- the one in Disneyland and the one in California Adventure. I must say -- I love Easter-ish things anyway, but this was so much fun to do at DLR! I think that hunting for anything in a large, detailed, multi-faceted, crowded place such as DLR is a naturally exciting thing to do, which is why scavenger hunts are so popular as well.

Most of the eggs were pretty easy to spot -- especially in DCA. The maps basically tell you where they are. I would not mind it if the egg hunt was more challenging and the eggs were smaller and more difficult to find, but since this is an activity that is largely geared towards small children, the eggs have to be easy to find. Some of the eggs were located up high, while others were lower to the ground. I loved the locations of some of the eggs in Disneyland, though I was surprised that Toontown was not used as one of the egg locations (just as A Bug's Land was not used in DCA).

At the end of each hunt we returned to the shops where we had purchased our maps (which were about $5 each) and collected our "surprises." We saw many people with many maps wandering around the parks, so as long as DLR keeps moving those eggs around to switch things up a bit each year I think they will have a big hit on their hands. The egg hunts (even if you only do one park) are a fun, inexpensive way to do something new and different at DLR, see the parks, notice some things you may not have noticed in the past, etc.

Meanwhile... over at the Springtime Roundup...

Roger Rabbit, the Easter Bunny and Pluto in his bunny ears were holding court at their photo stations. Minnie Mouse was in her pink springtime dress. There was a choir onstage, performing spiritual songs.

The decorations included beautiful wreaths, and many bits of garland filled with small eggs, carrots, flowers, bunnies and other Easter-ish things.

My favorite part of the Roundup was the area where all of the "egg art" takes place. One of the egg artists also handles some of the amazing pumpkins that you'd see at the Halloween Carnival/Roundup. The eggs are, of course, not real, but that does not make them any less amazing! The 'egg versions' of characters are particularly cute (like the "egg Sulley")!

There were several eggs out in the open, as one of the artists was displaying them there. There was also a case (protected by chicken wire) behind her that contained many more eggs. She kindly opened the doors to the case so that I could take photos to my heart's content.

I would normally go into the candy and bake shops and take photos of the seasonal treats, and if I had been at DLR longer I would have done that, but I was so caught up in hunting eggs and the Springtime Roundup that I never made it to the treats before it was time to leave!

I took a lot of photos of the various eggs, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone if you haven't already seen the public photos posted in other places. I'll happily post some photos here if anyone wants to see them and doesn't mind the spoiler photos.

So, in short, the Christmas/Holiday Season and Halloween Time Superthread-keeper gives a big to the Easter fun at DLR (oh... and the flowers around the parks are gorgeous this time of year too)!!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 04-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
GirlOutlaw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
At the end of each hunt we returned to the shops where we had purchased our maps (which were about $5 each) and collected our "surprises."

Springtime Roundup... Roger Rabbit, the Easter Bunny
Really want to do the Easter egg hunt when we're there over Easter weekend. Could you share what the prize was this year? I read that last year it was mini vinylmations, as a whole our family isn't keen on them. If you don't want to ruin the surprise for anyone could you just give a yes or no, Is the prize different this year?

Oh and ROGER RABBIT!!! That is awesome! Hope to get a photo with him when we get there !
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlOutlaw View Post
Really want to do the Easter egg hunt when we're there over Easter weekend. Could you share what the prize was this year? I read that last year it was mini vinylmations, as a whole our family isn't keen on them. If you don't want to ruin the surprise for anyone could you just give a yes or no, Is the prize different this year?

Oh and ROGER RABBIT!!! That is awesome! Hope to get a photo with him when we get there !
Yes, Roger Rabbit! He doesn't have too many chances to come out and greet guests anymore, so Easter is the perfect holiday for him!

I thought the egg hunt was so much fun -- and it was even better because it took place in both parks. If DLR only could add in the hotels and DTD to the hunt as well, that would be perfect!

I don't mind revealing what the surprise is at all, as long as no one else minds spoilers.

I will just add in a big SPOILER ALERT right here, so that anyone who doesn't want to know can stop reading at this point!

Although I didn't do the hunt last year I, too, saw that the mini-Vinylmations were the surprise/prize. You're in luck -- no Vinylmations this year!

This year, the surprise is more Easter-specific. It is a small plastic egg that opens (just like the kind you'd find in an Easter basket) so you can put candy or other tiny goodies inside. The eggs have different characters on them -- so, for example, I got an egg with Daisy Duck on it and another one with Chip (of Chip and Dale) on it.

At the location in DCA (Elias & Company), we were allowed to pick the character egg we wanted. At the Showcase store in Disneyland, the CMs gave us what we randomly chose, and we didn't get to pick!

Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Vintage Mouseketeer
Mouseketeer

Hello All! :-) We visited the parks this weekend and enjoyed the Easter festivities. It is well done and hope that the Springtime Round Up / EggStravaganza returns next year! My DD(4) enjoyed both egg hunts , decorated a cookie, crafted bunny ears, did the Bunny Hop with Pluto and the Jamboree dancers, and met all 6 rabbits. I don't want to ruin the surprise for some , so I am including a link to my Instagram account where I have, and will continue posting pictures leading up to Easter. http://instagram.com/mouseketeer1955# Let me know if you have any photo request :-D

ETA: there are 2 Flipgrams showing the maps, and eggs in their hiding spots through out both parks.
Vintage Mouseketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Mouseketeer View Post
Hello All! :-) We visited the parks this weekend and enjoyed the Easter festivities. It is well done and hope that the Springtime Round Up / EggStravaganza returns next year! My DD(4) enjoyed both egg hunts , decorated a cookie, crafted bunny ears, did the Bunny Hop with Pluto and the Jamboree dancers, and met all 6 rabbits. I don't want to ruin the surprise for some , so I am including a link to my Instagram account where I have, and will continue posting pictures leading up to Easter. http://instagram.com/mouseketeer1955# Let me know if you have any photo request :-D

ETA: there are 2 Flipgrams showing the maps, and eggs in their hiding spots through out both parks.
The request I have is for photos of Easter treats! As I mentioned above, I didn't get any photos of Easter goodies because I was so caught up in egg hunting, the Roundup and other photo-taking endeavors. I totally skipped getting any shots of the treats (other than the Springtime-colored cotton candy, which I did manage to snap), and that is not my usual practice!

I noticed that the Roundup was not too busy or crowded when I was there. Did you notice that as well? I'm not sure if that will change during this week, or if the Spring/Easter stuff is just not as big of a draw as the Halloween and Christmas stuff in that same location, but it was fairly empty compared to how it has been in the past.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
Vintage Mouseketeer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
The request I have is for photos of Easter treats! As I mentioned above, I didn't get any photos of Easter goodies because I was so caught up in egg hunting, the Roundup and other photo-taking endeavors. I totally skipped getting any shots of the treats (other than the Springtime-colored cotton candy, which I did manage to snap), and that is not my usual practice! I noticed that the Roundup was not too busy or crowded when I was there. Did you notice that as well? I'm not sure if that will change during this week, or if the Spring/Easter stuff is just not as big of a draw as the Halloween and Christmas stuff in that same location, but it was fairly empty compared to how it has been in the past.

You're so right, I look to you to capture all the details. Lol I will be be visiting DL once more before Easter, so I will be sure to look for the treats. :-)

We visited BTRJ two different times in the last 2 weeks , a Saturday and a Sunday. Each time we went there was no crowds! We practically had all the rabbits to ourselves. At one point the White Rabbit was sitting on the floor gently rocking a toddler to sleep. DD had Pluto all to herself to dance with.

It was a nice change of pace, the local mall Easter Bunny line was much longer than Roger's in the park. LOL
Vintage Mouseketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Chasingmarcus
Earning My Ears

Hi Sherry, I was at the park today and took a few pictures of some treats. They aren't the best because they are from my phone but I'd be happy to share them with you.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #13
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Chasingmarcus -

Thank you -- I'd love to see them if you don't mind sharing them here! I was so annoyed with myself that I didn't set foot inside one single candy shop or bake shop to see the Easter-themed treats! I would have to imagine there is a bunny-shaped apple or something?

And Vintage Mouseketeer, that goes for you too! If you get Easter treat photos, I need to see them!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #14
Scottishbrit
Mouseketeer

Im taking the kids in on Saturday! Were heading straight to the ranch area and have 1:30 reservations at Ariels Grotto. Then were going to do the Egg hunt, probably at DCA!
Scottishbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishbrit View Post
Im taking the kids in on Saturday! Were heading straight to the ranch area and have 1:30 reservations at Ariels Grotto. Then were going to do the Egg hunt, probably at DCA!
I hope you have a great time!

I really like what Disneyland did with the Springtime Roundup. The various wreaths and flowers with Easter-ish accents are very pretty. All of the famous Disney bunnies in one place are fun. The egg character art, as I mentioned a couple of days ago, was great -- probably my favorite thing.

As for the egg hunt -- I think the one in DCA might be slightly easier (though both hunts are easy), but I really think the hunt in Disneyland is a bit more interesting as far as where the eggs are hidden.

Do you follow the Disneyland Picture of the Day thread, in the Disneyland Community section of the board? I posted a photo of one of the eggs in the Disneyland hunt earlier today -- it's a very pretty, colorful location!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: