Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #31
Imbri
Mouseketeer
 
Imbri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 248

We were a short courtyard and bridge walk away from the main building (I'd say it took us less than 5 minutes every morning.) We went to the right from the main building, over the first covered bridge, and then we were the second building down. We were a fair distance from the big themed pool (Ol' Man's Island, I think it's called?) BUT we were right next to one of the several (5, I believe?) non-themed pools. The third picture I posted is a picture of the pool, from the path we took to the main building. You entered it from the side/behind (We walked from our second floor room around the side, then down the stairs on the side of the building to it), and you could see it from right after crossing the bridge (although as you can see, it's pretty private). We went to it every night after getting back from the park, and there was never more than 2 or 3 other couples there, and never any kids.

I never feel like there's enough time either! Our next trip, I'm doing the Princess Half Marathon, and when we booked, we had it for 6 days, 5 nights. Yikes. Only 4 days in the park. Then the stay, play and dine discount came out,a nd for $50 more, we were able to add a whole day! Soooo happy!
As far as thinking about the things you could have done, think of it this way (i read this in a trip report on another site, I'll have to find it again): the person didn't view it as a once in a lifetime trip, they fully planned to go back many MANY times, so you live in the moment and take in what you can, and have something to come back for, because with Disney, things are always changing and evolving and it's always a new experience, but then, still old and familiar.
That's the ideal I'm going with this trip, as it'll be our first trip with a child, and I know we won't accomplish half of what we did on our honeymoon.

Harry Potter is fantastic. That is all. <3

If I could plan out a lengthy trip, I think I'd do 2 days per park, plus 1 day Universal (need a HP day, but I'd only need to go to US: Island of Adventure, not US itself), 1 day for a water park, and then 1 day on each end for travel time (which would also be my Downtown Disney days), so thaaat's 12 days, I think? If I did 14 days, 2 would probably be downtime, and I don't think I could justify spending the extra money on a hotel room and not do something.
Imbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran
 
tankgirl427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 1,220

Since they are both Port Orleans I *think* you can use the pools at either location, but maybe someone else would know better. Last fall our room was right around the corner from the food court and super quiet even though it was a corner room right by all the action. It was awesome!
__________________

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause Iíve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers






Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
tankgirl427 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #33
UConnFan
Mouseketeer
 
UConnFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 444

Eating Our Way Through the World (and a change of plans...already)

First of all, I want to thank those who have served our country. I'm so grateful for your sacrifice.




Weíve had a bit of a change in our initial planning. We went to see Kevinís parents this weekend and they reminded us that his grandparents have a timeshare at Vistana that needs to be used. Although we love staying on site, we canít pass up a very inexpensive week on top of a free week. The less we spend on the hotel, the more we have to spend on other fun things to do at Disney.



Iíve heard Vistana is beautiful. It will be nice to have access to a kitchen. Not that weíll be cooking, but we can have breakfast in our room and keep water cold. Kevinís mom told us the pools are really nice, as well. These rooms also have a washer and drier, which will be nice for a two week vacation. I was wondering what we would do about clothes while we are down there, especially in the heat.



If we are able to get the time we are looking for, we will stay at Vistana the first week we are there and then go to the moderate for the week we won. That means our dates will fall at the end of July into the beginning of August.

Iím not sure how this decision will affect our itinerary, but Iím not going to worry about that until we are booked. This does mean we wonít be able to have the dinning plan for the first week we are there, but Iím not that heartbroken about that. I love the dining plan for its convenience, but I donít think itís necessarily the best option for us. Kevin eats a lot, so itís good for him, but I donít eat as much as he does. I also mostly drink water, so the soda or other drink options is a bit of a waste for me. I also donít think we would pay for the dessert at the counter service restaurants. We really donít like to have a planned sit down meal every day. We prefer to have nicer meals a few times a trip. I donít like stopping what we are doing to make a reservation.



With that said, we do love to have some sit down meals and we are super excited to start thinking about where we want to eat on this trip. I have some restaurants we would really like to go back to and some that we would like to try.

Restauarants we would love to go back to:
- Via Napoli
- Yachtsmen Steakhouse

Restauarnts we want to try:
- California Grill
- Artist Point or Citricos
- Whistpering Canyon Cafe
- House of Blues
- Tusker House or Crystal Palace
- Celebration Town Tavern



I really want to do breakfast someday because we love a nice sit down breakfast. The problem is, we also love sleeping in. Itís hard enough to wake up for rope drop, Iím not convinced weíll make it for breakfast before that. Iíve always wanted to go to Crystal Palace before the park opens, though. On my first trip to Disney, we went to Cinderellaís Royal Table before the park opened and it was wonderful! I loved walking down Main Street with few people around. Maybe we need to just suck it up and do itÖ.If we go early in our trip, weíll likely be so excited to get to the parks, we wonít mind getting up early. Also, I can make sure my sleep schedule isnít changed once school gets out so itís easier to wake up earlier.

I am interested in Artistís Point because Iíve always wanted to see Wilderness Lodge and I have heard this restaurant is good. We could also go to Whispering Canyon Cafť. Iím not sure I want to go out of my way so far, though.

We wanted to go to California Grill and watch Wishes on our honeymoon, but unfortunately it was closed for refurb. We definitely want to go this trip.

Where do you like to eat when you go? Have I left off one of your favorite restaurants?
__________________


July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #34
UConnFan
Mouseketeer
 
UConnFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbri View Post
We were a short courtyard and bridge walk away from the main building (I'd say it took us less than 5 minutes every morning.) We went to the right from the main building, over the first covered bridge, and then we were the second building down. We were a fair distance from the big themed pool (Ol' Man's Island, I think it's called?) BUT we were right next to one of the several (5, I believe?) non-themed pools. The third picture I posted is a picture of the pool, from the path we took to the main building. You entered it from the side/behind (We walked from our second floor room around the side, then down the stairs on the side of the building to it), and you could see it from right after crossing the bridge (although as you can see, it's pretty private). We went to it every night after getting back from the park, and there was never more than 2 or 3 other couples there, and never any kids.

I never feel like there's enough time either! Our next trip, I'm doing the Princess Half Marathon, and when we booked, we had it for 6 days, 5 nights. Yikes. Only 4 days in the park. Then the stay, play and dine discount came out,a nd for $50 more, we were able to add a whole day! Soooo happy!
As far as thinking about the things you could have done, think of it this way (i read this in a trip report on another site, I'll have to find it again): the person didn't view it as a once in a lifetime trip, they fully planned to go back many MANY times, so you live in the moment and take in what you can, and have something to come back for, because with Disney, things are always changing and evolving and it's always a new experience, but then, still old and familiar.
That's the ideal I'm going with this trip, as it'll be our first trip with a child, and I know we won't accomplish half of what we did on our honeymoon.

Harry Potter is fantastic. That is all. <3

If I could plan out a lengthy trip, I think I'd do 2 days per park, plus 1 day Universal (need a HP day, but I'd only need to go to US: Island of Adventure, not US itself), 1 day for a water park, and then 1 day on each end for travel time (which would also be my Downtown Disney days), so thaaat's 12 days, I think? If I did 14 days, 2 would probably be downtime, and I don't think I could justify spending the extra money on a hotel room and not do something.
I toally agree about your philosophy of going back many more times. We're pretty sure in the next year or so we're going to invest in DVC. We know we love going and we know we want to take our future kids as much as possible. I'm even tempted to get an annual pass.

The mansions sound perfect! I'm not sure what our reservation will look like (if we'll be able to make requests like a normal reservation), but if I can, I'm going to try for the mansions. Thank you so much for sharing your photos and experience.

Oh, I'm so excited you're doing the Princess Half. Someday I'll do a Disney Run...will you do a trip report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
Since they are both Port Orleans I *think* you can use the pools at either location, but maybe someone else would know better. Last fall our room was right around the corner from the food court and super quiet even though it was a corner room right by all the action. It was awesome!
Now that you say that, I think I may have read that somewhere. I'll have to look into it. I'm guessing that we wouldn't want to walk far to get to the pool if there was a closer one, though.

That room sounds perfect! I'm hoping we'll be pretty close to the main building.
__________________


July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
elaine amj
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,541

Based on everything you say - it sounds like POR (mansions) would suit you best. I remember agonizing for weeks over a resort choice one trip....and finally realised that there are pros and cons at every single resort. Theming was really the biggest difference and one of the biggest aspect of the fun of staying on a Disney property (for me at least).

Have a wonderful time - I love long vacations. Our last trip was 12 nights and it was just about enough (although we weren't quite ready to leave). We went in August and with WPF&M added to our tickets, we decided to make it a waterpark focused trip to minimize ticket costs. We did 6 park days, 4 days at the two waterparks, and 2 days at DQ. It was amazing! A little extreme - but I'm all about optimizing value and I figured we could do a more park-centric trip in the future (prob without the WPF&M add-on so I can save $50 x 4ppl).
__________________
elaine amj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
Imbri
Mouseketeer
 
Imbri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnFan View Post
I toally agree about your philosophy of going back many more times. We're pretty sure in the next year or so we're going to invest in DVC. We know we love going and we know we want to take our future kids as much as possible. I'm even tempted to get an annual pass.

The mansions sound perfect! I'm not sure what our reservation will look like (if we'll be able to make requests like a normal reservation), but if I can, I'm going to try for the mansions. Thank you so much for sharing your photos and experience.

Oh, I'm so excited you're doing the Princess Half. Someday I'll do a Disney Run...will you do a trip report?
I couldn't decide between the two sides of Riverside, so we didn't put in any requests, and Mansions are where we ended up. From what I understand, families tend to be put into the Bayou section and couples get put into the Mansions.

I want to get a DVC someday! I really hope we can afford one eventually. =D

Hehe, yup, I'll do a trip report! I've got a pre-trip report going too (the link in my sig. ) I read a few running blogs, and they go to a bunch of the Disney runs in the same year. I eventually want to do all the runs they do at Disney (and Disneyland), but that'll be awhile.
Imbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #37
spiritsim
DIS Veteran
 
spiritsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ohio
Posts: 895

Por

I have read everything I could find about POR because we were going to stay there but have changed to CSR. you know there is a thread with all the por info and FQ too.......anyways yes you can use either pool as they are sister resorts.
__________________
2014 Trip Myself,Trish with DH Frank, DD Raina, her DH Greg, DGD Audrey, and DGD Evalyn


WDW Commando Member #241
First time in the world! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3134097
spiritsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #38
UConnFan
Mouseketeer
 
UConnFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 444

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
Based on everything you say - it sounds like POR (mansions) would suit you best. I remember agonizing for weeks over a resort choice one trip....and finally realised that there are pros and cons at every single resort. Theming was really the biggest difference and one of the biggest aspect of the fun of staying on a Disney property (for me at least).

Have a wonderful time - I love long vacations. Our last trip was 12 nights and it was just about enough (although we weren't quite ready to leave). We went in August and with WPF&M added to our tickets, we decided to make it a waterpark focused trip to minimize ticket costs. We did 6 park days, 4 days at the two waterparks, and 2 days at DQ. It was amazing! A little extreme - but I'm all about optimizing value and I figured we could do a more park-centric trip in the future (prob without the WPF&M add-on so I can save $50 x 4ppl).
I agree! It was a pretty easy decision for us, this time. We only agonize over the financial reality of value vs. moderate vs. deluxe and our desire to stay in luxury . Every trip we debate about whether we should spend more on where we stay, but we always end up opting to stay cheaper and do more with our money in the parks.

I can't wait to go on a longer trip. I think it's nice to change up the type of trip you take. It's nice to experience new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbri View Post
I couldn't decide between the two sides of Riverside, so we didn't put in any requests, and Mansions are where we ended up. From what I understand, families tend to be put into the Bayou section and couples get put into the Mansions.

I want to get a DVC someday! I really hope we can afford one eventually. =D

Hehe, yup, I'll do a trip report! I've got a pre-trip report going too (the link in my sig. ) I read a few running blogs, and they go to a bunch of the Disney runs in the same year. I eventually want to do all the runs they do at Disney (and Disneyland), but that'll be awhile.
I have to go check out your pre-trip report! I wish there as more time in the day! I hope we're put in the mansions. They look beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsim View Post
I have read everything I could find about POR because we were going to stay there but have changed to CSR. you know there is a thread with all the por info and FQ too.......anyways yes you can use either pool as they are sister resorts.
I've spent some time on the POR thread. There is a lot of information! I can't wait to delve into it some more.
__________________


July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #39
LisaTC
DIS Veteran
 
LisaTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbri
I couldn't decide between the two sides of Riverside, so we didn't put in any requests, and Mansions are where we ended up. From what I understand, families tend to be put into the Bayou section and couples get put into the Mansions.
Actually, many families stay in the mansions because that's where the royal rooms are. We always stay in the mansions. If you have 5, you need to stay in the Bayou section with the fold down mini bed for younger ones. If you select preferred...you will be in the Bayou section because that's where those rooms are. I've tried to stay other places, but always come back to POR. It is just so beautiful! Kudos to anybody who does pre & post trip reports. I should, but never do, but I love to read them!

I have a hard time justifying the expense for the Deluxes because of how little we stay in the room. They are just SOOO much more expensive and aren't truly deluxe with regard to other hotel chains (think Peabody, Waldorf, etc) but they are magically located! POR just always fit the bill. The rooms are smaller than regular hotel rooms, but are nicely decorated. The grounds are the draw. The grounds at POR are stellar. The proximity to DTD is nice. You can take the boat. Handy. They have horse drawn carriage rides at POR if you are interested. The bus ride to MK is very fast. Andre Willey who runs the POR thread has the portorleans.org site as well. There are lots of supporters of Port Orleans and then there are some who just don't get it. My sister and family stayed at CSR and loved that as well. I think their pool may be bigger than POR/FQ.
__________________
(ME) (DH) (DD10)



Last edited by LisaTC; 11-13-2013 at 07:05 AM.
LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.