Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnFan View Post
We just love GKTW. I'm really hoping we can volunteer on this trip. What were your favorite aspects of the resort?
My favorite aspect of the resort...EVERYTHING! We love it all!!! There were a few of the nightly parties that weren't as appealing to us as others; however, even in saying that we had a blast! Who CAN'T love a place where you can have ice cream from the minute you wake up until the minute you go to sleep! I LOVED how they cared about my family and went out of there way to make it special for us. When we took our trip the four years prior had seen one of our family members in the hospital each and every Christmas. We arrived the day it is Christmas (or winter wonderland for those who don't celebrate) at the village (Thursday). I mentioned to the ladies at check in how excited we were to celebrate as a family that night. They told us our villa wasn't ready and to go have some lunch at Katie's Kitchen (we also had our first ice cream of the trip...well I didn't but everybody else did). We returned to the house of hearts and they sent us to our villa with a volunteer. Imagine our surprise when we saw our villa was decorated for CHRISTMAS and I mean even to a wreath and flowers on the porch (we just thought it was part of the village celebration for that night). It was AMAZING!!!! We had Christmas for 6 nights, not just one! All of the common areas were decorated, even down to the placemats on the table!

As for volunteering, definitely worth it! We have been blessed to go back twice since Lisa's wish trip, thanks to my BIL letting us use his time share. We spend LOTS of our vacation there, since we can't afford Disney tickets. We have volunteered at the pools, Ice Cream parlor and the nightly party...so much fun!

Sorry for the hi-jack, I just LOVE GKTW. It feels like home!! We dream of moving to Florida and volunteering every week!

If heat is a huge factor on when to go I would pick April, If you plan to take VERY easy/light days, I would pick August and add more time.
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zianha View Post
I'm in! How exciting for you two!! I can't wait to hear about your planning and then about your trip! It's gonna be awesome! I can just feel it!
Thank you! I know it's going to be awesome too! I'm excited to finally get into the heart of planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Joining in! I live in CT too, so it's always nice to talk to other DIS'ers from the same area!

I can't believe you won this trip, how amazing!! I would definitely look into Port Orleans Riverside for your moderate choice, it's amazing! I know people say it's big, but it's really not, the mansion section is beautiful and romantic!

As far as your dates, I'd go with April, even though it might be crowded, the weather will be so much nicer than July or August, and you have the Flower and Garden Festival going on! If not, I'd say go late August if you can, but avoid July all together, it's just way too hot!
Hello fellow Connecticutian! Unfortunately, I think April would just be too stressful. Plus, I really want to add time on. I think it's probably going to make the most sense for us to go in Summer. We did July once. It was hot, but I didn't think it was that unbearable.

I think the mansion section looks like it's beautiful. I have a feeling we may end up there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemomma View Post
Just watched the Delaware podcast! You can hear Kevin say "That's us!" I was smiling thinking "I know that gal!".

I say go in the summer...plan accordingly for the heat and plan to explore all the indoor stuff much, much more thoroughly... I would think less stress by going in the summer always trumps being exhausted.
We haven't heard it yet! I need to go download it and listen. I'm glad it was caught on tape for us. I think I agree with you about summer. Going during school would just be too hard. Now we just need to figure out if we will be able to make it up to your neck of the woods this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbri View Post
I'm picky about cheesecake, but not in the way most people are. I loooove the fake, out of the box, instant cheesecake, and I'm not really fond of "real" cheesecake. So we'll see how that goes...

Yeah, the boats run just to DTD (and between POR and POFQ). I think the buses were packed because it was during a free dining deal period, so there were more people than usual at the moderate resorts. Although I'm not sure why everyone chose Riverside over FQ, lol! They were PACKED in the mornings, not gonna lie. Me and husband toughed it out, but we heard a lot of complaints, especially from the people with kids.

And as far as when, I'd go in April, personally. I become the BIGGEST baby when hot. We went to Universal Studios 2 summers ago in July/August. Neeever again.
I'm trying to weigh how much I think the bus system will impact us. It's kind of a hard decision, in that way. I really want to try this boat out, though. It sounds so relaxing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
My favorite aspect of the resort...EVERYTHING! We love it all!!! There were a few of the nightly parties that weren't as appealing to us as others; however, even in saying that we had a blast! Who CAN'T love a place where you can have ice cream from the minute you wake up until the minute you go to sleep! I LOVED how they cared about my family and went out of there way to make it special for us. When we took our trip the four years prior had seen one of our family members in the hospital each and every Christmas. We arrived the day it is Christmas (or winter wonderland for those who don't celebrate) at the village (Thursday). I mentioned to the ladies at check in how excited we were to celebrate as a family that night. They told us our villa wasn't ready and to go have some lunch at Katie's Kitchen (we also had our first ice cream of the trip...well I didn't but everybody else did). We returned to the house of hearts and they sent us to our villa with a volunteer. Imagine our surprise when we saw our villa was decorated for CHRISTMAS and I mean even to a wreath and flowers on the porch (we just thought it was part of the village celebration for that night). It was AMAZING!!!! We had Christmas for 6 nights, not just one! All of the common areas were decorated, even down to the placemats on the table!

As for volunteering, definitely worth it! We have been blessed to go back twice since Lisa's wish trip, thanks to my BIL letting us use his time share. We spend LOTS of our vacation there, since we can't afford Disney tickets. We have volunteered at the pools, Ice Cream parlor and the nightly party...so much fun!

Sorry for the hi-jack, I just LOVE GKTW. It feels like home!! We dream of moving to Florida and volunteering every week!

If heat is a huge factor on when to go I would pick April, If you plan to take VERY easy/light days, I would pick August and add more time.

That's sounds amazing! I'm so glad they were able to decorate for you. Everyone I talk to about GKTW is so positive about their experiences. I'm so excited that we will hopefully have the opportunity to volunteer there this summer. I actually know someone who moved there recently and she spends a lot of her time volunteering there.

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Calendar Conundrums

Weíve debated, weíve discussed, weíve read the tea leaves and weíve decidedÖ

Summer it is!

When I went a few years ago, we enjoyed July 4th fireworks in Hollywood Studios. This was a really fun experience that I wouldnít mind repeating. Iím nervous about the extreme crowds during this time, though. I also would like a little bit more time after the end of school to wind down and prepare. The last few weeks of school are crazy. It would be nice to put some time between that stress and our trip.

We could also go at the end of July into the beginning of August, but this coincides with our family trip to Nova Scotia. We love Nova Scotia. Itís the most beautiful place in the world and the beaches are phenomenal. Itís a relaxing trip and we love spending time with Kevinís family while we are there. Since we are taking this trip, Iím pretty sure we wonít be able to go this year. Iím super bummed about this because we werenít able to go this year, either. Iím just worried Kevin wont be able to get the time off. I think it makes the most sense to leave this time frame open, just in case we can make it work.

The last option is to go the second week of August. This way, we can go to Nova Scotia if circumstances allow, weíll hopefully beat some of the crowds, and we can still add time on to our trip. Iím thinking it may be less crowded as people begin to prepare for the start of the school year? Fortunately, if we take a longer trip, the crowds shouldnít be as much of a bother. We can take it slow and be sure to hit all of our must dos.

Ultimately, I think the latter option makes the most sense for us. We can add time, maybe join our family vacation, and hopefully avoid some of the crowds. Additionally, rumor has it we may be able to enjoy some magic of the literary variety in that "other" park. We named our dog Dobby for a reasonÖ

Tentatively, our dates are August 4th Ė 15th, barring any other conflicts. I need to contact Pete and the Dreams team to confirm that these dates work and that we can add days to our trip on the same package. Even if we need to do a split stay, I want to add days on to our trip.

With dates in mind, itís time to finally turn to our resort options. Although I think we have our minds made up, I want to weigh our options. Itís time to do some research!!!

July 2010
June 2004
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Wow, this is an amazing story. How wonderful about everything! Obviously, by my sig I recommend POR! LOVE IT! Period. It is beautiful, serene...good food court. Fun lounge with great entertainment. We've had great luck there. Check out the POR thread and portorleans.org It is larger, but that makes it nice because you never feel crowded. Excellent access to DTD. Bus to MK is fast.

Have fun planning!!!!!!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Just wanted to add my congratulations to you! Not only did you do a really good deed by supporting Give Kids the World, but you got a bonus for doing so!!!!

Oh, and I recognize a bunch of people in that photo even though Val & I couldn't be there. Nice crowd.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #21
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

It's her birthday! (Podcast Recording)

The podcast recording was posted today. The raffle ticket was called at the very end of the episode. My heart was racing again while watching it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98KFrdKRHNs

July 2010
June 2004
Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Wow!!! Congrats! How exciting! I think August is a good choice. We like low crowds and I think it starts to slow down a little in August as families are getting their kids back to school. We do the last week before school starts (so we booked Aug 17-22 at Hilton Head next summer). We did that week at Vero Beach and Universal in 2012 and it was very very uncrowded in Universal while we were there....but yes, it's HOT!!!

Looking forward to more of your posts! I'd recommend POR as a resort...we stayed there in 2005 and really liked it. You should try out Boatwrights with your free DP...mmmmmm (we liked it).

A side note...my DH's name is Kevin and he is an actuary. He became a FSA when he was 31...we got married and had kids right out of college and he took exams while we were raising our babies. Fun stuff!!! Anyway...enjoy your trip planning and then your trip...very exciting!
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
spiritsim
DIS Veteran

Congrats

I have always dreamed of winning a WDW trip always enter every contest I come across. Alas it didn't happen but I did retire for medical reasons and said hey you only live one go now. So am going to WDW 1-12 oct we were going to stay at POR RS but have changed it to CSR BC for several reasons. This will be our first trip to the world we have always done DL. Taking my DD and her DH, 2 DGDs can't wait.

WDW Commando Member #241
First time in the world! But not our last! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3359150
spiritsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #24
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Port Orleans Showdown

vs.

As Iím sure youíve guessed from my previous comments, weíve narrowed our options down to Port Orleans. Although the other moderate resorts sound lovely, I think Port Orleans makes the most sense for us. We just have to decide whether we want to stay French Quarter or Riverside.

Iíve heard from many sources, including you lovely people, that French Quarter has a much better bus system. Weíve also heard that the king rooms have two windows that overlook the water in the back, which sounds lovely. Another plus is the smaller size. After a long day, we donít want to have to walk around even more or wait as the bus drives around to multiple stops.

I have to admit, I like the theming of Riverside better. The scenery and the pretty buildings have always enthralled me. Is it silly to make a resort decision based on the nice buildings and scenery?

We arenít really interested in the sit down meal options, so that doesnít weigh in on our decision. There are too many other places we want to try first. We do eat in the food quarts occasionally, but not enough to make that a deciding factor.

I donít know much about the pools at either resort. Kevin and I love to spend time in the pools, so this could be part of the decision. Does one have a better pool? Iím super excited that the moderates have slides and hot tubs. We love water.

I think the bus situation is the biggest reason people choose POFQ over POR. Iím not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, Iíd rather not wait long for the bus and Iíd like to get back to my room quickly at night. On the other hand, Iíve learned that itís not always best to base a decision solely on other peoplesí experiences. Itís possible we could stay at POR and have a great experience with the busses. Iím also not sure I think staying on the bus for a few extra minutes would be the end of the world. Of course, that depends on whether I have a seat at night, or not ;-). We may even decide to rent a car on this trip, as we have a few plans off property.

Honestly, if I went with my gut I would want to stay at Port Orleans Riverside. I think Iím going to need to think it over some more before I officially make my decision.

July 2010
June 2004
Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #25
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
Wow, this is an amazing story. How wonderful about everything! Obviously, by my sig I recommend POR! LOVE IT! Period. It is beautiful, serene...good food court. Fun lounge with great entertainment. We've had great luck there. Check out the POR thread and portorleans.org It is larger, but that makes it nice because you never feel crowded. Excellent access to DTD. Bus to MK is fast.

Have fun planning!!!!!!
Thank you! I honestly think we would love it, too. Although the negative comments make me a little nervous, I'm pretty sure we'll end up staying at POR. I looked at the thread some, but I need to go dive into it even deeper. The quick bus to MK is such a plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Just wanted to add my congratulations to you! Not only did you do a really good deed by supporting Give Kids the World, but you got a bonus for doing so!!!!

Oh, and I recognize a bunch of people in that photo even though Val & I couldn't be there. Nice crowd.
Oh, thank you! We missed you at the meet. I hope you had a wonderful birthday and a great meal at Citricos. We can't wait to see you and Val at Disapalooza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
Wow!!! Congrats! How exciting! I think August is a good choice. We like low crowds and I think it starts to slow down a little in August as families are getting their kids back to school. We do the last week before school starts (so we booked Aug 17-22 at Hilton Head next summer). We did that week at Vero Beach and Universal in 2012 and it was very very uncrowded in Universal while we were there....but yes, it's HOT!!!

Looking forward to more of your posts! I'd recommend POR as a resort...we stayed there in 2005 and really liked it. You should try out Boatwrights with your free DP...mmmmmm (we liked it).

A side note...my DH's name is Kevin and he is an actuary. He became a FSA when he was 31...we got married and had kids right out of college and he took exams while we were raising our babies. Fun stuff!!! Anyway...enjoy your trip planning and then your trip...very exciting!
I'm really hoping you're right about the lower crowds in August. Whatever happens, though, we'll make the best of it. Fortunately, my travel companion is easy going.

I'm glad that you're recommending POR too. It's nice to hear good things about it...

That's so funny! We married a year after graduating from school (although, I did my master's degree, so we married less than a week after I graduated with my masters). He just took his third test. I'm hoping he'll have quite a few tests under his belt by the time we have kids. He's just having such a hard time finding a job, for some reason. It's really discouraging, considering he has worked so hard to pass the exams. Fortunately, it'll all pay off someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsim View Post
I have always dreamed of winning a WDW trip always enter every contest I come across. Alas it didn't happen but I did retire for medical reasons and said hey you only live one go now. So am going to WDW 1-12 oct we were going to stay at POR RS but have changed it to CSR BC for several reasons. This will be our first trip to the world we have always done DL. Taking my DD and her DH, 2 DGDs can't wait.
Honestly, I feel like I'm living in a dream. I just can't believe we won it! I'm so grateful. We have the same attitude. In fact, we're going to Disney in less than a month for a party because we figure we're only young and childless once.

That sounds like such a great time to go. I hope that you have an amazing time, especially since you have family going

July 2010
June 2004
Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along....
Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #27
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Riverside in February, and absolutely loved it. Great food court, great pool (huge, and good pool bar), quiet resort, boat to DTD, and the cool little bar inside the main building (the River Roost Lounge) was a nice place to relax at the end of the day. The buses were the same as every other resort I've stayed at on property, from Value to Deluxe -- hit or miss. Sometimes they came right away, sometimes not. I didn't find any significant difference between Riverside and Poly or Pop or Caribbean Beach when it came to waiting for buses.

Our room was a corner room (two windows!) in the Alligator Bayou section, river view. Here's some pics -- hope this helps!

View from the our room:

Boats to DTD:

Open Murphy bed:

Pool:

I have lots of food pics from Riverside Mill, too. If you want to see them, just say the word
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #28
Imbri
Mouseketeer

Haha, we stayed in the mansions, and they look so different! Mine are from 2010, I dunno how much it's changed.

Imbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #29
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along....
Welcome! Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
We stayed at Riverside in February, and absolutely loved it. Great food court, great pool (huge, and good pool bar), quiet resort, boat to DTD, and the cool little bar inside the main building (the River Roost Lounge) was a nice place to relax at the end of the day. The buses were the same as every other resort I've stayed at on property, from Value to Deluxe -- hit or miss. Sometimes they came right away, sometimes not. I didn't find any significant difference between Riverside and Poly or Pop or Caribbean Beach when it came to waiting for buses.

Our room was a corner room (two windows!) in the Alligator Bayou section, river view. Here's some pics -- hope this helps!

I have lots of food pics from Riverside Mill, too. If you want to see them, just say the word
That's how I feel about the bus system. I think it will end up being fine. We're pretty easy going, so hopefully it won't bother us.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures! Your room was so nice! I love the double windows. It seems like the rooms are a lot bigger than Pop, which will be nice. The scenery is gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbri View Post
Haha, we stayed in the mansions, and they look so different! Mine are from 2010, I dunno how much it's changed.
If I could pick a place to stay based on aesthetics, I would pick the mansion section. It looks gorgeous. Was it far away from the main building and pool?

July 2010
June 2004
Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Im so grateful for all of the time Ive had in Disney World, but I have to be honest; my trips never feel long enough. I always feel rushed to fit everything in, and then I leave thinking about all of the things I wish I could have done. I also really enjoy at least one day off during the trip to recuperate and to enjoy things outside of the parks.

Ive always wanted to stay for 10-14 days, but this has just never been a financial or logistical possibility. I think this trip might be the perfect opportunity to have a nice long trip.

There are lots of benefits to a longer trip, including:
1) More time to do the things we love more than once
2) More time to try new things we havent had time to do before
3) Stopping to enjoy the small things, like sitting in Epcot while sipping a yummy drink, people watching on Main Street, and walking on the animal trail in Animal Kingdom
4) Exploring things outside of Disney, especially a certain boy-wizard who stole my heart when I was 11 years old
5) Sleeping in! With more time, we wont need to do rope drop every morning.
6) More pool time!
7) A water park! Kevin has wanted to go to a water park every trip weve been on, but weve never had the time. With the hot and humid August weather, this would be the perfect time to visit the water parks!

I could go on and on justifying the added time, and Im sure Im just preaching to the choir. There just isnt such a thing as enough time in Disney.

I'm pretty sure we can't add time on to this package. Rather, we'll need to book a separate trip. I have an email in clarifying this point, but in the meantime, I want to do some planning.

I'm thinking maybe we'll do a split stay? I don't necessarily love the idea of wasting vacation time moving, but I'm thinking about the two extremes of Disney:
- If we're adding more time, we may want to make it cheaper so we can enjoy other things, in which case we may stay at Pop for the second part of our trip.
- Maybe this would be a good time to go luxurious and stay Deluxe. I want to stay at Yacht & Beach club so badly, but we've just never been able to afford it. If we saved, we probably could swing it for this trip.
- We also could request that we stay in the same room for our split stay to make things simpler.

I have this same debate every trip. Kevin is so easy going, he'll stay anywhere. He would love to stay at the Beach Club, too, though.

So, how long should we add on? Im thinking well probably shoot for 14 days. Somehow, when I sketch out my itinerary for 12 days, it still doesnt seem like enough. Im just being greedy! How long do you like to go for? What's your magic number of days?

Speaking of itineraries, I think its time to start thinking about what we actually want to do on this trip :

July 2010
June 2004

Last edited by UConnFan; 11-09-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: