Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

New Disney princess outrage: Is 'Frozen' only for 'pretty' girls?

The next Disney princess film, 'Frozen,' will debut Nov. 27. But an animator has caused a small revolt online by saying of the lead female characters: 'you have to keep them pretty.'
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...ty-girls-video

Quote:
The head of animation for Disney's upcoming film "Frozen" has leaked the secret of the studio's princess success, and it is shocking.

"Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, ’cause they have to go through these range of emotions, but they’re very, very — you have to keep them pretty and they’re very sensitive to – you can get them off-model very quickly," Lino Disalvo told Fanvoice.

I'll pause for a moment to allow you to take in the momentous revelation that Disney has historically liked its princesses to be pretty.

Actually, it's fair to say that the word "pretty" is probably the most modest thing one could say about the appearance of Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Cinderella, or the lot. "Ideal" might be a more accurate term – or, perhaps, "impossibly perfect." Even Merida, the supposedly liberated and down-to-earth princess of Pixar's "Brave" was probably still shopping in the petites section (even before her wasp-waisted marketing transformation).

Still, that hasn't stopped an internet-fueled backlash against Mr. Disalvo's words. One commenter asked: "Why can't women and girls just look human? Why is beauty their most important feature?"

The question, of course, is central to the Disney Princess Dilemma: Is this really the message we want to be sending to our daughters (and ourselves) about beauty and feminine body image?

Disney has made some progress over the years on the matter of making women actual characters instead of merely human topiary (see, "Sleeping Beauty"). But the idea of a plus-size princess – or at least one without a button nose who looks like she has adequate space for all her organs – has so far seemed a bridge too far.

There are reasons for that, of course. Disney's animated films are not indie flicks filmed for a few hundred thousand dollars and then edited on some 20-something's sofa between episodes of "Breaking Bad." Animation of the highest order (which Disney aspires to) takes years of painstaking work and budgets can run into the hundreds of millions. To cast an "untraditional" princess would seem to be an enormous financial risk.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Perhaps the most overlooked bit here is that the leading men are all perfect also.

Also, to add-- all children are beautiful-- When they dress up and play "Ariel" they feel that they are them and feel more beautiful.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Perhaps the most overlooked bit here is that the leading men are all perfect also.

Also, to add-- all children are beautiful-- When they dress up and play "Ariel" they feel that they are them and feel more beautiful.
Amen!

I think my girls believe they ARE as beautiful as the Disney princesses. (Of course I know my girls are prettier.)
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
momofmaz
Mouseketeer

Lol, this post and any "outrage" over this NEW revaluation makes me giggle. All leading ladies in Hollywood, princess or not, have had to be "pretty" since the start. All little girls are beautiful. Dressing up as their fave princess only expounds on that beauty.
momofmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
MrsBusDriver
Earning My Ears

I agree with pp this isn't just Disney its the human condition (and all of Hollywood). Its human nature to want our heroes to be beautiful, doesn't mean I won't watch a movie if the actor isn't the most hansom. But I do enjoy a good looking leading man. I'll watch Sean Bean any day . I do agree that sometimes the princess thing goes a bit to far, I am to old for it and when DD was little she was a tomboy. But I also understand there is a market for it. As long as Disney remembers to market to to those of us who aren't or don't want to be princesses. Which I think they do very well.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

Reading the quote I don't think he even meant "pretty" as in beautiful. He's talking about their emotive movements, and even a pretty person can make an ungly face. In this case he is talking about keeping htem "on model". Making the art pretty is not the same as the character's stardard of beauty. They are cartoons anyway. This outrage is half-baked and overblown in my opinion.

Lifetime WDW Visits: 6 (Plus 1 DL)
When leaving Disney, heed the advice of the Ghost Hostess and...
"Hurry Baaaack! Hurry Baaaack!"
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Comes down to "Hmm, do we want to make a politically correct movie that everyone ignores, or do we want to make a movie people will enjoy watching?"

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I would agree they mean keeping the character looking pretty means making it look "correct" when it emotes. A frame where a character looks like its jaw is falling off because they're surprised wouldn't be "pretty". That being said, there's a certain expectation for princess characters. Its adults reading this crap into what the studio has said, a kid likes a pretty character because its pretty...they do they same thing with people and that comes down to biology. Babies do it automatically. No child is going to read that article let alone throw a fit because the studio should recognize diversity...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Wait a minute - a disney animator has admitted that most of its female characters are PRINCESSES????

Is he insinuating that girls only have worth if they're members of families that are financially wealthy and politically powerful???

HOW DARE HE!!!!!

If you don't want your children to grow up believing that beauty, wealth, and power are important, perhaps Disney princesses aren't such great role models after all...
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
IamDisney1967
Earning My Ears

Hmm,im torn on this one.On one side i do believe Disney kinda makes it look like to be princess you gotta have good looks and be glamourous.Now i cant say one way or the other if it makes a diiference,but that being said i believe beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and it takes the parents to stress this.I am getting tired of everything in Disney being for girls and think they need to come up with some great concepts for boys.While i worked at Disney i noticed it was a priority for the girls to see there princess,s,but the boys really had 1 thing to see and become or interact with and it was pirates.Im just saying they need more for the boys for they dream also.The most beautiful princess i ever saw dressed up was a 10 yr old little girl that had been burnt over half her body,but her personality was one of the greatest i have ever seen and made her so beautiful as a person.
IamDisney1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

This is all fantasy so why can't they be pretty? I personally think that all little girls are pretty.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

I don't think he meant pretty in the traditional sense of the word either. I too think he meant ensuring the character doesn't suddenly look like a monster while showing "emotion."

As far as the princesses being pretty - I think that sells more to little girls. What little girl wants to dress up as a character she thinks is not pretty? What little girls is going to decide she wants to look ugly (a bad word choice - I don't like to consider people 'ugly,' but I'm using it here to mean not pretty from a little girl point of view) for the day? If she dresses up as a princess she wants to feel beautiful.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
cjbcam
Mouseketeer

Not to cause a debate or whatever but how is that any different than women putting on make up everyday and dressing up and doing their hair etc it shows that every girl should do everything possible to look pretty. Today's society in general makes looks the most important thing. Disney is no different.
cjbcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Even the mean and scary villains are good looking....

Well mostly....
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: