Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
dadster
Earning My Ears

Disney Magic or Disney Fantasy 2014 ?

Good afternoon. We actaully booked our next cruise on our last cruise whih was the Disney Dream.

WE are doing a 7 day cruise on the RE-imagined Disney Magic, but starting to get second thoughts. Was hoping to get some feedback. Trip is not until Nov 2014 and I'm hoping that they make more improvements. I have heard some not so good reviews, BUT excited about the new Oceaneers Club and the new Marvel section. and since we went on the Dream we wanted a different experience. I have heard that the Fantasy is basically the same as the Disney Dream, which we loved. Should I play it safe and change back to the Fantasy or shall I stick with the Magic?

One more thing, we are now adding out group we are getting 2 more rooms(3 in total) 4 in each room. we are currently in the 6th floor 6101 inside state room.
They have 3 rooms together in the 2nd floor and deluxe rooms 2629 2631 2633, would it be worth it to make the change or should we stay in the 6th floor.

Thanks in advance

Hector

Last edited by dadster; 01-13-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: adding
dadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
BeanFamily
Earning My Ears

If you have anyone interested in the BBB for your princess or pirate, I would do the Fantasy!
BeanFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
PrincessForLife
Walt Disney World Junky

The Magic is a great ship!! It's smaller and more accessible than the Fantasy and it's just been remodeled. Yes, it is an older ship and it does have it's quirks, but I would stick with it and try it out!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
kittylady1972
Disneyholic

Tough decision. I can definitely give your a better opinion when we get back from our next cruise in a few weeks. Our very first cruise was on the Dream in Nov 2012...first time cruise for our kids but DH and I had done a Carnival cruise YEARS before without kids. I swore I'd never cruise again...and then I experienced a Disney cruise!

Kids had a FANTASTIC time on our 3-night cruise, but we had ill family members and 4 out of 7 of us didn't even get off the boat at Castaway Cay.

DH and I then cruised on the Wonder just this past Sep/Oct for 7 nights for our 15-year anniversary. We actually enjoyed the smaller ship and having more time at sea. We were quite happy with it and that was after having experienced the Dream.

Now we are introducing our kids to their second Disney cruise...this time 4 nights on the Magic beginning later this month. We've told them it will be smaller than the Dream but I think they will be okay with that. I was a little concerned with the refurb issues but lately things seem okay. We are really looking forward to trying Aquadunk and seeing the great kids areas. My kids are not big on staying in the kid clubs for some reason (they are 9, 11 and 13) but we'll see if they change their mind this time.

Hoping for a very different cruise experience this time around and I'll try to post a report (see my PTR link in my siggy below) when we return that might help you decide. We have two connecting outside porthole rooms on Deck 6 for this trip.

The past:*Jan'14: DCL MAGIC*Sep/Oct'13 DCL WONDER*Aug'13:DLR*Jan'13: POP/SSR*Nov'12:VWL/DCL DREAM/THV*Jun'12:SWAN * Mar '12:BDWLK * Jun'11:BLT * Dec'09:SSR * May'09:BC&AKV *Oct'08:BCVDINING REPORT*Jun'08:POP* Nov'07:OKW&SSR*Oct'06:AKL*Jan '06:CR*Feb'04:BDWLK *Oct'03:POLY*Sep'01:CR*Oct'99:POR*Feb'97:ASM
kittylady1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
dadster
Earning My Ears

Thanks PrincessForLife and Kittylady for the encouraging words. Yeah I was leaning on keeping it and just going to hope for the best. I know know matter what we will love the different experience and my kids will LOVE IT!! I guess since I invited my family I just hoping that they have a great time to. I know I will get over what ever little quirks the ship may have, but hope they enjoy it too. Fell a little pressure of them having a great time too.

My family includes myself and DW and my kids will be 7 and 10.

Then my inlaws will have 2 more rooms, my sister-in law and 2/3 kids in her room and grandma and grandpa with have the other 2 grandchildren with them. That's why we had switched over to the 2nd floor Deluxe Inside Statesroom. We were originally at the 6th floor.

I will definately take a peak at your trip that you having coming up Kittylady, and thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

We are struggling with the same decision. We are planning to book for Nov. 2014 and are trying to decide between the Magic and the Fantasy, cost difference is fantasy is 1k more.

We were on the Mgic in 2009 and loved it, sailed the Dream in 2011 and loved that too.

We are torn, older kids want Fantasy, younger one and dh want Magic...it's cheaper and has the Marvel kids club stuff for youngest dh. Although youngest ds wants minigolf too which is not on Magic. I am leaning towards Magic too as 1k less means we'll have $ for excursions stuff.
Tough decision!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
dadster
Earning My Ears

Well glad to hear you enjoyed the Magic before loveysbydesign. And yes the price difference does help. Good luck with the decision, looks like we are sticking with the Magic. Aghain more for a change of pace and the Marvel Kid area
(I wanna be Iron Man) too.

Hector
Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster View Post
Well glad to hear you enjoyed the Magic before loveysbydesign. And yes the price difference does help. Good luck with the decision, looks like we are sticking with the Magic. Aghain more for a change of pace and the Marvel Kid area
(I wanna be Iron Man) too.

Hector
I just booked us on the Magic.
There are pros and cons to each.
15 y.o. DS wanted the Fantasy for more to do and have the teen pool area. 6 y.o. ds wants to do the avengers and minigolf, but of course neither the Fantasy nor the Magic has both and dd wanted to tdo the muppet mystery thing on the Fantasy. But when push comes to shove 1k is alot of money fror us so we went with the cheaper option.
Gives us extra money to play with for excursions and such

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 01-17-2014 at 07:25 AM.
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
EvaAnders
Earning My Ears

We might go for a cruise trip for our first anniversary on Jan 5th 2015. Haven't' decided the cruise and cruise lines. My husband Joe haven't been a cruise yet. I have done cruise trips so far. First one was with blountadventures to Caribbean islands and second one was in an Akaska cruise.
EvaAnders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #10
DisneYE
Mouseketeer

I would recommend the Magic, since you've already been on the Dream which is almost the same as Fantasy. Magic is a smaller ship and more intimate.. being a november sailing I'd imagine the ship not being 100% full so you would have a great time.. IMO when Magic/Wonder are full it does feel a little too crowded...but that's just me, most people don't mind it.

Personally I prefer the Fantasy because it's bigger/newer. But you should also experience the Magic as its a great ship too and if you have kids<teens they enjoy any DCL regardless of the name.
Have fun in your trip.!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
Lisamarie4400
Mouseketeer

I am having a similar problem. I will be in the 3 day magic this week for the first time and plan on booking for nov. 29 eastern on the magic or 30 western for the fantasy. I was leaning towards fantasy but it is $500 more so not sure it's worth it. Any opinions.
October 2013 One Day for Halloween Party
January 2014 3 Days on Disney Magic Cruise Ship

December 2014 5 days on Disney Wonder
Lisamarie4400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: