Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #106
angierae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbcam View Post
Actually I'm not a foreigner and I'm not going to debate that on this thread. Everything I said was true and I do believe Canada should do stuff like food stamps so people's kids aren't starving because their parents spent all their money on booze and smokes. I believe you are the one that posted something about not judging because someone is smoking while lined up at the food bank because its an addiction? Smokes cost nearly 15 dollars a pack so yeah I am going to judge someone who can afford cigarettes but says they can not afford food. People need food to survive they don't need cigarettes. I am a person that also believes Canada should also implement what some of the states are, drug testing to get a welfare check. People fall on hard times and need help sometimes and it's people that take advantage of that that make people reluctant to just blindly give and hope the truly needy get it. I would rather give to people I know that need it, like the little boy that I fed lunch to and sometimes dinner to for nearly two years (with his parents permission) because his parents couldn't. Eventually the bank took their house. They both worked min wage jobs and still couldn't make ends meet. Those are the people that deserve the help.
You do realize that studies have repeatedly shown that drug testing for welfare benefits actually costs MORE to do the testing than any money that is saved in kicking people off; right?

I don't like the idea of parents on drugs and kids not getting food, but if we want to be fiscally responsible with our tax money, spending it drug testing welfare recipients is a bad use of money, that has been shown in several studies.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #107
ceecee
DIS Veteran

The first thing a RESPONSIBLE person would do if they smoke and run short of $, to stop smoking. That would go a long way towards food. Unfortunately a lot of the people on assistance are 3rd and 4th generation and they have not learned responsibility. These are the parents who return their kid's gifts and use their gift cards when the kids get them for toys and it does happen. Govt assistance was supposed to be a help when needed, not a way of life.

Last edited by ceecee; 11-06-2013 at 06:02 PM.
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #108
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angierae View Post
You do realize that studies have repeatedly shown that drug testing for welfare benefits actually costs MORE to do the testing than any money that is saved in kicking people off; right? I don't like the idea of parents on drugs and kids not getting food, but if we want to be fiscally responsible with our tax money, spending it drug testing welfare recipients is a bad use of money, that has been shown in several studies.
Yep. Try to tell that to the fb crowd. Many who have received some sort of benefit from the govt.

Lol, especially drug testing for college students to get their grants and subsidized loans
Old 11-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #109
angierae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
The first thing a RESPONSIBLE person would do if they smoke and run short of $, to stop smoking. That would go a long way towards food. Unfortunately a lot of the people on assistance are 3rd and 4th generation and they have not learned responsibility. These are the parents who return their kid's gifts and use their gift cards when the kids get them for toys and it does happen. Govt assistance was supposed to be a help when needed, not a way of life.
I watched my dad die of lung cancer unable to stop smoking. It's a horrible addiction and this is why I think we should make sure people never start. I am not going to judge someone who can't quit. My dad had just turned 43 when he died.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #110
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angierae View Post
I watched my dad die of lung cancer unable to stop smoking. It's a horrible addiction and this is why I think we should make sure people never start. I am not going to judge someone who can't quit. My dad had just turned 43 when he died.
I'm sorry about your dad. My grandma, the sweetest little home ec teacher passed of lung cancer. :/
Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #111
Ladygoldenhair
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
I read on AOL today that last Friday EVERYONE receiving food stamps had their amount CUT as of that date. I feel badly for those people who depend upon food stamps to feed their families. There was speculation that food banks would feel the crunch as well because those families would have to depend more heavily upon them. I fear that some children will go hungry this month as a result of the cut.
Cash assistance was removed in our area last year too. I have a mom I barter service with, cleaning in exchange for rides. One of the trips is to the food bank. I was concerned how many items were past their expiration dates. It is one thing to have day old bakery goods, but the cans some were from 2009, or earlier.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #112
pampam
DIS Veteran

My sister will only give cereal to the food bank. Her reasoning is this. If the parent responsible for the child is unable to get the child ready for school for what ever reason ( drunk, ill, sleeping, looking after whatever responsibilities they may have etc) even a small child could open up a box of cereal and get somethin to eat. Even if a child is left alone with a box of cereal, they can have dinner.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #113
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
My sister will only give cereal to the food bank. Her reasoning is this. If the parent responsible for the child is unable to get the child ready for school for what ever reason ( drunk, ill, sleeping, looking after whatever responsibilities they may have etc) even a small child could open up a box of cereal and get somethin to eat. Even if a child is left alone with a box of cereal, they can have dinner.
So smart. I will start giving cereal too. Thanks.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #114
trinchick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
This just makes me too sad to even think about.

We give regularly to several food pantries (via our own church, DD's school, our town, and another local church). I always feel good when I give, and I always try to focus on the children and the elderly who benefit from these programs.

I do, however, agree that there are many people who receive SNAP and/or food pantry benefits who make choices that I can't agree with (e.g., cigarettes, smart phones, fancy sneakers, etc.). Let's face it, it's often (not always) an accumulation of poor decisions that get these people into situations of need or want.

And honestly, I don't necessarily trust many of these people to choose nutritious food for their kids over getting their nails done, lottery tickets, or other non-necessity. Therefore, I have to consciously choose to let these reservations go, and give with a generous heart in the hope that the children are the people who I'm helping.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #115
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinchick View Post
This just makes me too sad to even think about. We give regularly to several food pantries (via our own church, DD's school, our town, and another local church). I always feel good when I give, and I always try to focus on the children and the elderly who benefit from these programs. I do, however, agree that there are many people who receive SNAP and/or food pantry benefits who make choices that I can't agree with (e.g., cigarettes, smart phones, fancy sneakers, etc.). Let's face it, it's often (not always) an accumulation of poor decisions that get these people into situations of need or want. And honestly, I don't necessarily trust many of these people to choose nutritious food for their kids over getting their nails done, lottery tickets, or other non-necessity. Therefore, I have to consciously choose to let these reservations go, and give with a generous heart in the hope that the children are the people who I'm helping.
"These people". Wow.

Coming from a town hit hard "these people" poor choices came from trusting a company not to go down the toilet putting 18000 out of work. Those poor people. Probably deserved it...
Old 11-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #116
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
"These people". Wow.

Coming from a town hit hard "these people" poor choices came from trusting a company not to go down the toilet putting 18000 out of work. Those poor people. Probably deserved it...
Yes the "these" people at my food bank included seniors who worked hard, saved, retired, had their savings demolished by Wall Street and then had to make choices between food and medications they needed... I guess their "poor choice" was continuing to live past retirement?
And of course my friend's husband who made the "poor choice" to go to Iraq and got shot for his country.
And "these" old ladies that made the poor choice to care for children that weren't their responsibility.
And "these" families that got laid off ....
Well at least you give a can of soup to go with your judgment.... Wonder how many hearts here would be opened by spending a few hours down at the food bank and actually getting to know some of the clients?

Last edited by pocomom; 11-08-2013 at 02:17 PM.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #117
trinchick
Mouseketeer

Actually that's a mis-quote... I said "Many of these people." There's a big difference, but it's a nuance that is easily missed if one is feeling a bit defensive.

Just as every SNAP/food pantry recipient isn't a fraud, nor are they all victims of circumstance.

I think that's the take-away from this entire thread. We've all seen situations where people with genuine need were able to access assistance, and we've all seen situations where we don't agree with all the actions of the recipients. Rather than debate it, I think it's best to acknowledge that the system isn't perfect, but there are people who truly need it. I, for one, am glad that there's a privately-funded neighbor-to-neighbor way of achieving this, i.e., the food pantry.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #118
RainbowBrite
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlites View Post
Your view is better than mine, it sounds like the individuals at your area food bank need the help.

I drive by a bus stop that is located in front of the food bank in my city. I drive by every weekday. I see adults in their 20s, and 30s who have their food bank bags on the floor of the bus shelter because they are always texting on their phone with one hand and have a cigarette in the other.

I live in Canada where cell phone service ($150 a month minimum) and cigarettes ($90 a carton) are very expensive.

I believe the people who really need the help often don't get the food and the others are using the local food bank to allow them spending money for their vices.

Last year on the news there was video of families lined up for their turkey and toy basket for Christmas. I noticed as did my coworkers that everyone in the shot had a phone in their hand.
You know, my uncle, who is on disability because of a very rare skin disorder as well as a rare eye condition that left him blind in one eye was given a free cell phone and a certain number of minutes/texts per month. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

RainbowBrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #119
Andrea
DIS Veteran
I couldnt decide which one to do first, come check here or the coupons
The Tag Fairy thinks Andrea rocks too!

I am a very heavy couponer. Meaning I get whatever I can cheap or free. I have two sections in my car when i grocery shopping. One section comes home with me the other section goes straight to our local food bank. They are always in need and when i drop off once a week the workers are so happy to see me.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #120
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I am a very heavy couponer. Meaning I get whatever I can cheap or free. I have two sections in my car when i grocery shopping. One section comes home with me the other section goes straight to our local food bank. They are always in need and when i drop off once a week the workers are so happy to see me.
I do the same. Some coupons but also loss leaders

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: