Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Black Friday really no longer exists. All stores are opening on Thanksgiving now. It went from 6am on Black Friday a few years ago, to 4am, to midnight, to 10pm on Thanksgiving and now we're down to Thanksgiving afternoon. It's a disgusting trend that has no end in sight and really is a reflection of how we're deteriorating as a society. Our priorities are all out of whack. People really would rather fight vicious (people have been trampled and killed on Black Friday after all) masses to save 20 bucks on something than spend precious time with loved ones? IMO, those people I see waiting outside the Best Buys, Walmarts, Toys R Us', etc. early in the day every year on Thanksgiving while on my way to my cousin's house must be living a sad, pathetic existence if that's where they are choosing to be.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #32
GoofyCampers09
Earning My Ears

I keep reading and I guess I don't get what the big deal is working on a holiday after all I've worked a holiday for the last 25 yrs. this year I get to work Christmas Day for the first time my children will have to wait until the late afternoon to open presents (usually I work evening shift on x-mas) when you choose to work in certain jobs it's the price you pay if you don't like it don't work there! And there are some religions that don't celebrate certain holidays so they should have to sit home and watch tv or not work because others do celebrate maybe it's more convenient for them to shop that day, I think it great that some stores now give you the option to shop on holidays because in my job we can't say close the hospital it's a holiday everyone stay home if your sick come tomorrow and if your already in the hospital well sorry call your families to come take care of you because we'd love to stay home with our families!
GoofyCampers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #33
cjbcam
DIS Veteran

Many people work holidays so do I feel bad about shopping on Black Friday? No. My dad was a firefighter my mom does ECGs in the hospital so when I was a kid they weren't home on a lot of the holidays and guess what? We celebrated a day late or early or whatever and it worked fine. After all my mom couldn't tell people to have heart attacks on another day please or my dad refuse to fight a fire because it was Christmas.
cjbcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
Black Friday really no longer exists. All stores are opening on Thanksgiving now. It went from 6am on Black Friday a few years ago, to 4am, to midnight, to 10pm on Thanksgiving and now we're down to Thanksgiving afternoon. It's a disgusting trend that has no end in sight and really is a reflection of how we're deteriorating as a society. Our priorities are all out of whack. People really would rather fight vicious (people have been trampled and killed on Black Friday after all) masses to save 20 bucks on something than spend precious time with loved ones? IMO, those people I see waiting outside the Best Buys, Walmarts, Toys R Us', etc. early in the day every year on Thanksgiving while on my way to my cousin's house must be living a sad, pathetic existence if that's where they are choosing to be.
It is kind of sad you are judging a bunch of people you don't know by how they chose to shop. Many people have worked for years on the holiday, why shouldn't the rest of their family go and shop? Or maybe they are on a limited budget, and shopping on Thursday/Friday is the best way to stretch their money as far as it can go?

I have to ask too, do you think it is sad and pathetic that people go to Disney World on holidays, thereby forcing others to work??? Maybe they should close the parks so that their CMs can spend the holidays with their families.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #35
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
What a sad and pathetic judgmental statement to make, you dont' know anything about those people you saw there.
Not everyone's time with family is precious.
Some families (like mine) don't get together on Thanksgiving, we celebrate on a different day.
Some families shop together, and that is a precious tradition to them.
Not everyone has to celebrate the way you do for the Holiday to mean something to them. And just because they aren't spending the day together doesn't mean they don't have their own "precious" time with eachother.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #36
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It is kind of sad you are judging a bunch of people you don't know by how they chose to shop.
Yes, this.

Do you know who their relatives are? How many relatives they have, and where they live? What they did with the rest of their day? What are their plans for tomorrow? How do they feel about Thanksgiving? How did they experience Thanksgiving growing up - if they experienced it at all? Are they allowed to care about it less than you do - and if so, does that automatically make them bad people?
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #37
FireWife70
Earning My Ears

Right. Maybe their spouses are in public safety, for example and have to work, so they're not celebrating Thanksgiving until Friday night or Saturday. Why not go shopping overnight, if that floats your boat? Just because they aren't with family at the exact moment you are doesn't mean they won't have family time. If you think shopping on or around holidays is bad, then don't do it ... but don't presuppose you know anything about people who do!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It is kind of sad you are judging a bunch of people you don't know by how they chose to shop. Many people have worked for years on the holiday, why shouldn't the rest of their family go and shop? Or maybe they are on a limited budget, and shopping on Thursday/Friday is the best way to stretch their money as far as it can go?

I have to ask too, do you think it is sad and pathetic that people go to Disney World on holidays, thereby forcing others to work??? Maybe they should close the parks so that their CMs can spend the holidays with their families.

I do actually find it odd that people would want to be at WDW on an actual holiday like Thanksgiving (if you're American), or Christmas and Easter (if you're Christian - and believe me, I'm not a religious person at all either). I just think those days are meant to be spent with family. I've always wanted to go to WDW during December to see all the decorations and all....but I would never want to be there on Christmas Day - so I'd have no issue if they closed the parks.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #39
JaimeA
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I do actually find it odd that people would want to be at WDW on an actual holiday like Thanksgiving (if you're American), or Christmas and Easter (if you're Christian - and believe me, I'm not a religious person at all either). I just think those days are meant to be spent with family. I've always wanted to go to WDW during December to see all the decorations and all....but I would never want to be there on Christmas Day - so I'd have no issue if they closed the parks.
I will be at WDW for thanksgiving, and get this...i will be with my family and I am American. Is isn't about where you spends a holiday it is about who you spend it with.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #40
mikek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei528 View Post
I worked in a buying office as an assistant buyer years ago, and our office (and corporate headquarters) were open on Black Friday....

my sister in law was a director in the buying office of a major department store chain in NYC. They close the office on black friday. BUT NO ONE gets off- they send everyone to work at a mall shop someone- they dont know anything about working a cash register or stocking that stores shelves so they basically just fold clothes and bag them for the person running the register. It's totally stupid financially that people that might cost the company 100 bucks an hr in salery and benefits are folding socks. But i think it's more about "we're all in this together, no one is shirking their duty to work that day"
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #41
mikek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
All WDW employees, everyone at all airlines and hotels everywhere, convenience stores / gas stations, not to mention the doctors, police, EMTs, etc. Lots and lots of people work holidays.

I work retail, and although I haven't had to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas yet, I've worked pretty much every Black Friday Christmas Eve, and "Boxing Day." Tradition is just another word for routine. When you've worked dozens of Christmas Eves, work is just another thing you do on that day.
boiler operator's, security guards, bakers, etc, etc. there's tons of them when you think about it.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #42
mikek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's always hard to judge people's meanings on the internet without seeing them in person but this thread sure seems to have it's share of judgmental posts...

Myself, "As an American" I find it way more offensive that as a country we consider Memorial Day the start of summer, a great time to have a 3 days weekend, and a day to barbecue rather than thing about it's real meaning. I'd rather complain that nothing closes that day then worry about people vacationing or shopping on Thanksgiving, or any particular religion's holidays (even if it happens to be mine).

(and memorial day isn't the only one)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #43
Aunt Michelle
There is no television in your room

Quote:
Two years ago we spent Thanksgiving at WDW. Three generations in a Treehouse Villa. We cooked a turkey and all the trimmings in our room and invited the neighbors up for pie and the kids gave turkey sandwiches (we were right next to bus stop) to the bus drivers when the buses came through. Family, fun, and Disney. My nieces voted it the best Thanksgiving ever, and they'll always remember the year we had a turkey at Disney.

************************************************** ******************************
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~Lewis Carroll
Aunt Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #44
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

There are several angles on holidays at wdw.

One is "we would spend just as much anyway at home...might as well go to Florida"...that one is particularly for Christmas...

Some people swap the trip for the junk... I guess I can see that.

The one I find laughable is that you can get "both" a holly jolly christmas, thanksgiving, whatever and a week of summer at the same time.
The crowds and prices (since they went to over screw during holidays) negates any positives of the "get away" Holiday...my opinion.

I always thought the reason Caribbean beach was full was because people trick themselves I to thinking they're getting the magic kingdom AND Aruba in one shot... Laughable.

Or "luxury" at the grand Floridian... Even more laughable. But I digress...

Holidays aren't better in Disney world...much worse.
But again...it must be working cause they charge double and pack em in.

Not for me.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
snausman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
There are several angles on holidays at wdw.

One is "we would spend just as much anyway at home...might as well go to Florida"...that one is particularly for Christmas...

Some people swap the trip for the junk... I guess I can see that.

The one I find laughable is that you can get "both" a holly jolly christmas, thanksgiving, whatever and a week of summer at the same time.
The crowds and prices (since they went to over screw during holidays) negates any positives of the "get away" Holiday...my opinion.

I always thought the reason Caribbean beach was full was because people trick themselves I to thinking they're getting the magic kingdom AND Aruba in one shot... Laughable.

Or "luxury" at the grand Floridian... Even more laughable. But I digress...

Holidays aren't better in Disney world...much worse.
But again...it must be working cause they charge double and pack em in.

Not for me.

Good for you that is not for you. But why are you judging others, they sure don't seem to be judging you. Everyone does what they want to do on the holidays. Some people might not have family to spend time with and this might be the best way for them to be spending the holidays. Don't judge other people when you have no idea why they are doing what they are doing. JMOHO

Laura

All the Wonderful Places we have stayed
***Grand Floridian***Polynesian***Contemporary***BoardWalk Inn***Yacht Club***Beach Club***Wilderness Lodge***Disney Inn (now Shades of Green)***Port Orleans French Qtr.***Port Orleans Riverside***Dolphin***Swan***Pop Century***
snausman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: