Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Should I feel bad about being at WDW on Thanksgiving?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

I worked in a buying office as an assistant buyer years ago, and our office (and corporate headquarters) were open on Black Friday....

It is what it is, I knew I had to work that day working for a retail company. I really didn't mind.

My husband is a mover and usually works Black Friday, again, it is what it is. He works Christmas and New Year's Eve too, sometimes not getting home till 8 or 9 pm, and sometimes the customers give lousy tips on Christmas Eve....but again, we just roll with it, it is how our lives our right now.

May 2014 (BLT), Dec 2013 (BLT/AKL), Sept/Oct '12 (AKV/DCL), Jan '11 (AKL),Sept/Oct '10 (AKL/BLT/DCL/BWV), Sept '09 (BLT), April/May '09 (BW/AKL), Sept/Oct 08 (POP/AKL), Nov 03 (ASMovies/AKL), Nov 01 (CBR), Nov 97 (Disney Village Resort), '87 (off property), '77 (CR)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk0323 View Post
I think it's crazy too and feel bad for the employees.....but think about the Disney resorts. They operate every day. I was a CM for nearly 12 years. I remember my first couple of years, I worked EVERY major holiday. I don't think most guests who decide to vacation over holidays really appreciate the cast members who are there ....and that they have to miss time away from their own family's to make guests holidays magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
All WDW employees, everyone at all airlines and hotels everywhere, convenience stores / gas stations, not to mention the doctors, police, EMTs, etc. Lots and lots of people work holidays.

I work retail, and although I haven't had to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas yet, I've worked pretty much every Black Friday Christmas Eve, and "Boxing Day." Tradition is just another word for routine. When you've worked dozens of Christmas Eves, work is just another thing you do on that day.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
bmwdw
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWiJo View Post
In general, it's only worth standing in line waiting for the store to open on Black Friday if there is a great buy on something that is in limited supply that you really want to get.

Even then, it can be questionable. A report I saw a few years ago said that most doorbuster items like TVs are either models that are on their way out (inventory clearance) or specially made items that are basically the same as a main model, but with some key features removed. While I can't personally verify that report, based on what I've seen, it's largely true. When the ads come out this year, Google the model number on advertised doorbuster TVs (or computers, cameras, etc.) and you might well find items that were released last year or are things that have very limited info on them anywhere, even from their own manufacturer.

So your doorbuster bargain might not be as good as you think. There are exceptions, of course.

With that said, it's not so bad hitting the stores late morning. The worst of the vultures have left by that time. The stores are still quite busy, but will have enough cashiers and other employees to keep things moving fairly well.
As previously stated I worked for a retail store that sold electronics. I can assure you that the doorbusters are indeed products that are a lower tier than what is normally sold. At least that is how it was with the company I worked for and I imagine it is that way industry wide. The products were either models we did not carry and were brought in specifically for holiday promotions or items that had been discontinued by the manufacture and were held back for the holiday shopping season. So in my opinion the doorbusters especially were not worth waiting in line during the wee hours of the morning to make sure you got them.
bmwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
MommaChip
Earning My Ears

Black Friday shopping is a tradition for our family. But last year we didn't go because it was getting so ridiculous that stores were open on thanksgiving But on a good note JC Penny's is starting their snowglobes again this year
MommaChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
MommaChip
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if it was just this store that was listed, or all disney stores that might be opening early? Thanks!
MommaChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nope, but you should be very jolly and treat those working with respect. Let them know you appreciate their efforts!

I avoid black Friday (did it once, never again) as it is just not worth it, especially considering you can get the same or similar deals in December if you look hard enough. I do understand the thrill of the chase that is basically what black Friday is and wish luck to those that enjoy it. Keep shopping and let's keep the economy rolling.:good vibes

I will never step foot in a store on Thanksgiving or Christmas day (you know that is next). It is a family holiday and we choose to spend it that way. Of course I long for the days when stores were not open on Sundays too. I have fond memories of Sunday being the day that was for relaxing and family activities. We try to spend Sundays without rushing around,but like most others, it has become a normal day with way too much to accomplish.

With regards to the original post. The Disney store has to decide if not opening with everyone else can be done. I am guessing the potential lost revenue would be too severe and they will open like everyone else. remember that the first store opening on Thanksgiving was to get you in there before the others opened. Now it's just "see who can get you to their store first". I will be watching HS football in the morning, heading home for nice dinner with loved ones and then spending some relaxing family time with them all by the fire.

mm1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaChip View Post
Black Friday shopping is a tradition for our family. But last year we didn't go because it was getting so ridiculous that stores were open on thanksgiving But on a good note JC Penny's is starting their snowglobes again this year
I used to Black Friday shop with family and loved it! I would wake up at 3am, get some coffee in me and home by 8am before the men in the family were awake. It was a wonderful tradition that went downhill when midnight openings started. Last year we all stayed up and the men tagged along for midnight openings but many deals were staggered throughout the evening and morning making shopping for a deal confusing and time consuming. Now some are opening earlier than midnight so we decided this year we will sleep in and enjoy our deals on cyber Monday. No more Black Friday or Thanksgiving shopping for our family.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

I also wish retail stores would stay closed on Thanksgiving but it gets worse every year and I think it's unlikely to ever change back.

Quote:
I think it's crazy too and feel bad for the employees.....but think about the Disney resorts. They operate every day.
Las Vegas is the same way, holidays and weekends are busy so we just expect to work.

Quote:
No, just be extra nice. It's frustrating to work Thanksgiving but not the end of the world.

Example: 2 years ago I worked a day shift on Thanksgiving while my dad, brother, sister and her family were at my house cooking and waiting for me, I was so annoyed I hated my job by the end of the day. On my drive home I stopped at a stoplight and a homeless guy with a sign asking for food walked by, it really put my day into perspective. I instantly went from annoyed with work to feeling blessed I had a job and was going home to a house filled with family and food.

Working Thanksgiving sucks but not working is worse.

Viva Las Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #25
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Nope, but you should be very jolly and treat those working with respect. Let them know you appreciate their efforts!

Oh heck yes, I will bend over backwards for them. I am usually over the top nice to servers, but them taking care of me on Thanksgiving will lead to me being super extra nice to them.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
cleverclovers
Mouseketeer

I work in a financial institution. You'd be surprised at how many people get upset that we are not open on major holidays and Sundays. "What if I need money for shopping?" Really? Ever hear of an ATM?????? We are always open on Black Friday. Most people load up on money on Wednesday. The rest are at the doors right at opening on Friday. By 9am it's usually dead for the rest of the day.
cleverclovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #27
raeolight
Ears to the ground Eyes to the Castle

Personally I don't have a problem with black Friday. The complaint was about working on thanksgiving. That's where I draw the line. Give people a freakin holiday.
raeolight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #28
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

2013 Toys R Us Black Friday (Thanksgiving Day) Ad Leaked

Doorbusters start Thanksgiving Day at 5PM.

View the full 28 page ad here: http://blackfriday.com/stores/toys-r...s/black-friday

First Page:

Last Page:

Last edited by Rumors Rocks; 11-07-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: fixed linked
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayBells View Post
My experience I customer service is that EVERYONE has to work. Even if you are part time or if you said in your job interview that you can't work Fridays. It doesn't matter everyone works "Black Friday"

I like the idea of volunteers but nobody probably would. Or at least not enough. I quit one job cause they tried to make me work Christmas when I was a teenager. I didn't NEED the job and they were over staffed. But it makes it fare if everyone has to work I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Black Friday is not a holiday and anyone working in retail should expect to work that day. I do think stores should ask for volunteers first for working on actual holidays. The stores I worked in were never open on Thanksgiving, but I would have volunteered to work if they were. Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving the same way.

Quote:
I think it's crazy too and feel bad for the employees.....but think about the Disney resorts. They operate every day. I was a CM for nearly 12 years. I remember my first couple of years, I worked EVERY major holiday. I don't think most guests who decide to vacation over holidays really appreciate the cast members who are there ....and that they have to miss time away from their own family's to make guests holidays magical.
I guess some don't realize that we have "dealt with big business" on holidays for ever. Amusement parks, hotels, movie theaters, gas stations, grocery stores, convenience stores have been open on Holidays for as long as I can remember. Now that some stores decide to be open its a travesty? Where was the outrage for the last few decades for everyone else that had to work?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #30
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

I'm usually a 100% advocate for better treatment of all Disney workers... But I don't see the "outrage" angle here.

Ground zero for all Disney employees is the cash register at the giftshop...anybody with a ganglion can see that in about 4 seconds after they first put on the nametag.

If there are sales to be made...it's part of the deal.

The longest/busiest/hardest days on the Disney parks calendar are Christmas, New Years, thanksgiving, and July 4th...in that order.
You don't get normalcy when there's junk to sell. That is what it is.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: