Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Emh to require magic bands

Starting next week if you want to enter the parks for EMH you will need to have a magic band. This is for all Disney resorts. Those staying at resorts like the swan and dolphin can still show their hotel room key. Disney is really punching magic bands and I think a full rollout will happen soon.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagi...-next-week.htm

rteetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Checked the link and it says that if you don't have a MB you can still use your KTTW card.
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Checked the link and it says that if you don't have a MB you can still use your KTTW card.
Which makes zero sense. Why would you write "required" in one sentence and then turn right around and say that KTTW cards can also be used.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
nkosiek
Mouseketeer

Because there are still those of us who would rather carry around a KTTW than wear a MB. I hate wearing anything other than my wristwatch...and that includes my wedding ring. I have no desire to wear a MB.
nkosiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
OKW Lover

Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Which makes zero sense. Why would you write "required" in one sentence and then turn right around and say that KTTW cards can also be used.
Agree. I think the OP is the one who introduced the word "required" into this story when titling the thread. Clearly they are not required.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
Because there are still those of us who would rather carry around a KTTW than wear a MB. I hate wearing anything other than my wristwatch...and that includes my wedding ring. I have no desire to wear a MB.

Oh, I get that. I was just referring to the author and wording of the article.

Quote:
Agree. I think the OP is the one who introduced the word "required" into this story when titling the thread. Clearly they are not required.
It is in the bolded part of the article after the title, but before the rest. Although, I would suggest that the thread title be corrected.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post

Similar to them not "offering" no expiration options on tickets anymore at the booths or the Internet...
Except you can still ask for it and buy it.

You just have to not let them outsmart you...

By saying "bands only!!!" They force you into them...but they can't exclude those that pay the price and don't want the band...as their cards now do the same thing.

There will a huge press to get rid of the cards starting with this and intensifying...my guess.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The first sentence of the article says required

Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
OKW Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
The first sentence of the article says required
You are correct, sorry to cast aspersions.

Just to clarify, the referenced article is not an official Disney communication. I'm sure they based their story on something from a Disney source but they should have done a better journalistic job in how it was worded.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You are correct, sorry to cast aspersions. Just to clarify, the referenced article is not an official Disney communication. I'm sure they based their story on something from a Disney source but they should have done a better journalistic job in how it was worded.
I understand. They have been a trusted source for disney info a long time and they are similar to the DIS so I check them once a week for their information. I saw that story and found it interesting.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
LaurLaur04
Mouseketeer

KTTW cards are being phased out from what I understand. But I think there will still be a card option for magic band....just will be called something different I guess.

My divorce is NOT the end...it is the BEGINNING!

My September 2010 TR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38382769
LaurLaur04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurLaur04 View Post
KTTW cards are being phased out from what I understand. But I think there will still be a card option for magic band....just will be called something different I guess.
You are correct

Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

The article is a bit off in a number of ways. It should have said "RFID" is required, not MagicBands. Disney allows you to opt out of a MagicBand (no matter how much they push it on you), but you can't opt-out of RFID. I don't know of they'll change the name of it, but it is still called a Key To The World card for now. "MagicCard" seems a likely alternative, if someone doesn't already have the trademark...

It forgets to mention how they will check guests already in the parks during evening EMH, etc.

The plan at this time is that attraction greeter CMs will be iPad-and-reader equipped during evening EMH and will scan everyone going in to the attraction.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
The V Gang
The V Gang

I hope so! I liked the old days when u got a wristband for EMH. I preferred it to having to flash kttw cards to get onto the rides. Cast members never checked the dates and never made sure each person in my party had a card. Other times I noticed they didn't even ask to see the cards. Diligence in making sure that only current guests enjoy EMH (especially now that they have been shortened during evening emh) would be a welcomed change.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
ilovethisplace
Mouseketeer

So what stops you from keeping the Magicband in your pocket and never putting in on your wrist?
ilovethisplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: