Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #61
robpa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Drums,Pa
Posts: 361

Forgot to add Go Blue even though it looks like another rough yr.
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #62
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 4,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Why is everyone so shocked and outraged by this. When FP+ was originally announced and tested, this was how it was presented, that there would be two tiers of pre-booked FP.
For me...it's because Disney has NOT tried to market this... Really...at all.

And that is what is a scary thing.
No angle... No sales pitch.

Based on what you know...what does that mean?

I think this leads to even worse treatment of the employees (mainly reduction) and price increases that will drive the whole place out of many of "our" price range.

And remember...nobody ever said they wanted this. Iger's regime seems even more hellbent on unfettered profit than eisners was... And that's saying alot...
This is full steam ahead on " something"... And it's understandable that we, the loyal customers, are somewhat apprehensive...

We don't want "our" disneyworld to go away. And we used to not second guess it because we had an informal partnership with Disney management.

Me...myself...is worried that their new business model has voided that partnership.

Did you see any of the reports about Brazilian tourism to the US rising? 30 million visitors to the US last year...
18 million to Orlando.

The times... They are a changin...and none of us want to be rendered obselete.

It's natural.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #63
buk110
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmadden View Post
this is the beginning of class warfare. Next they give more fast pass selections for headliner attractions fr deluxe resort guest. Penalizing people who are not millionaires but still love their kids just as much or more & want to give them a magical experience
Good if I'm staying at grand Floridian I'd like a better experience than the unwashed masses staying at all-star
buk110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #64
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 4,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by buk110 View Post

Good if I'm staying at grand Floridian I'd like a better experience than the unwashed masses staying at all-star
Back under the bridge, troll
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #65
robpa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Drums,Pa
Posts: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
For me...it's because Disney has NOT tried to market this... Really...at all.

And that is what is a scary thing.
No angle... No sales pitch.

Based on what you know...what does that mean?

I think this leads to even worse treatment of the employees (mainly reduction) and price increases that will drive the whole place out of many of "our" price range.

And remember...nobody ever said they wanted this. Iger's regime seems even more hellbent on unfettered profit than eisners was... And that's saying alot...
This is full steam ahead on " something"... And it's understandable that we, the loyal customers, are somewhat apprehensive...

We don't want "our" disneyworld to go away. And we used to not second guess it because we had an informal partnership with Disney management.

Me...myself...is worried that their new business model has voided that partnership.

Did you see any of the reports about Brazilian tourism to the US rising? 30 million visitors to the US last year...
18 million to Orlando.

The times... They are a changin...and none of us want to be rendered obselete.

It's natural.
Whoever could sell this in its current state would be one hell of a salesman.
Probably could sell ice to the Eskimos.
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #66
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 4,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post

Whoever could sell this in its current state would be one hell of a salesman.
Probably could sell ice to the Eskimos.
It's not that I think it can be sold... It's that they didnt even TRY.


They have...almost literally...sold swampland to alligators in the past. And everything has been done with too much fanfare.

The fantasyland redo a recent, brutal example.

My favorite of course was "magical gatherings"...the whole "bring your whole family...what a great, new idea!" Concept...which differed from before...how?

But they sold it like sand to saudis
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #67
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,478

I have Maelstrom, TT and Soarin' as my 3 FP+ on one day and TT, Soarin' and SSE as my 3 FP+ on another day. I just check and they are still there.
__________________
What does $3.00 ham have to do with Mexico?
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #68
mickeyfan0805
Mouseketeer
 
mickeyfan0805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
I have Maelstrom, TT and Soarin' as my 3 FP+ on one day and TT, Soarin' and SSE as my 3 FP+ on another day. I just check and they are still there.
I don't think they are changing arrangements in place before the change. This appears to only apply t those who haven't made the FP+ arrangements yet.
__________________
mickeyfan0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #69
karly05
DIS Veteran
 
karly05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I am here with the Bird
Posts: 1,865

I've stayed out of all the FP+ threads so far, but wanted to chime in here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb68 View Post
Well, considering there have been so many reports/complaints about FPs running out by 9.30-10am for popular rides, maybe this is an attempt to stop people with FP+ booking all the most popular rides and make more fastpasses available for those not able to access FP+?
This was exactly my immediate reaction to the Epcot Tiers announcement. Given the recent distress over same-day FPs running out so early, I would seriously bet that was a major factor in the newest tiered test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Disney doesn't want FP+ pre-booked weeks in advance. They need to be able to market a system where people entering the park day-of will still find ride times available. The only realistic way to do that is to make each guest choose between a reservation for Soarin OR Test Track OR fireworks viewing OR some similar experience.

Same is true at Hollywood Studios. Toy Story Mania and Rock n Rollercoaster cannot accommodate every guest. They'll have to force people to choose.

I always though the most equitable way of implementing FP+ would be to allow a certain number of pre-booked ride reservations and then allow for additional selections upon park entry.
Agree completely. And call me naive ('cause I am), but that last paragraph is exactly how I'm thinking FP+ is finally going to shake out. Pre-book one headliner and a couple of 2nd tier attractions, then once you're actually in the park, FP+ will work like the old system for same-day FP, just with mobile apps and magic bands instead of paper FPs.

1 more comment about Maelstrom being a "top tier" choice: FWIW, the longest standby waits I've done the past two years have been at Maelstrom (albeit in the afternoon), and I'm guessing that "Frozen" is going to give it a whole new popularity (esp. with Anna and Elsa meeting in the pavilion).
__________________
1999 - Beach Club - Me & Sis
2004 - Polynesian - Me, Sis & Dad
2012 - Beach Club - My Awesome Solo Trip Adventure!
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #70
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 4,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Disney doesn't want FP+ pre-booked weeks in advance. They need to be able to market a system where people entering the park day-of will still find ride times available. The only realistic way to do that is to make each guest choose between a reservation for Soarin OR Test Track OR fireworks viewing OR some similar experience.
So in reading this...I'm gonna have to assume that you feel that labor control is NOT part of the program here...to predict is to limit.

Fundamentally disagree...they aren't going to all this trouble to provide all the children with "better flow" on fastpasses...or because they desperately need a reprogramable avatar ride.

There is an economic upside to the cheese here...or not one dime gets spent.
Period.

And "increased value" isn't what they bank on...it's all short term changes that lead to large profits across a 50 million visit spectrum.

We shall see.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #71
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw FL
Posts: 1,150

This whole thread is so highly based on personal touring styles that the real point is being missed. If there are x FP for soarin, and there are 10X people in the park, 90% of the visitors will not get a FP. It doesn't matter when they give them out-- most people won't have one. ( my numbers are not researched, and I would assume 90 % is low.)

What is the benefit for Disney to reserve a group of passes for day of reservation? I don't think there is one. If 90 % of the guests will be disappointed by not getting a FP for soarin, what does it matter which 90 % that is? As the roll out finishes, I am fairly sure that all will get the same or similar access to pre booking, and then everyone will have the same or similar chance to get the coveted passes.

What has changed? Mostly the ability of a few to over use the FP system, making any given pass more available to a higher number of guests, making them happier. So if one person who pulls multi passes for soarin is limited to one, that is several others who will feel their experience has been improved.

This system will make a higher percentage of visitors have a better experience than the percentage that it disappoints. Overall that makes it a better system. If Disneys plan is to please the largest group of visitors, I think this will work.

Not to mention all of Lockedouts reasons pertaining to staffing and overall control.
__________________
Give a man a beer and he wastes a half an hour, but teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #72
Tekneek
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bethlehem, GA
Posts: 366

This is most absurd at a park like Epcot where TT and Soarin' get the most visitors and the rest are walk on attractions the vast majority of the time. It does nothing to help people differentiate or determine which one they should use an FP+ slot on. At least once you are at the parks, you can see which one you should FP and which does not need it. Pushing the decision out 60 days makes it impossible to make a decision based on crowd conditions.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #73
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw FL
Posts: 1,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
This is most absurd at a park like Epcot where TT and Soarin' get the most visitors and the rest are walk on attractions the vast majority of the time. It does nothing to help people differentiate or determine which one they should use an FP+ slot on. At least once you are at the parks, you can see which one you should FP and which does not need it. Pushing the decision out 60 days makes it impossible to make a decision based on crowd conditions.
I agree that most epcot attractions are walk on-- but as far as soarin and TT-- they both need a FP at any given point. People have to pick which one they want I guess. I'm not happy about it, but it levels the playing field. I'm not a FP comando, but have been and I understand the complaints of many who still are. I'm just saying that we don't matter so much since there are so many who will benefit in the long run.
__________________
Give a man a beer and he wastes a half an hour, but teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #74
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
This whole thread is so highly based on personal touring styles that the real point is being missed. If there are x FP for soarin, and there are 10X people in the park, 90% of the visitors will not get a FP. It doesn't matter when they give them out-- most people won't have one. ( my numbers are not researched, and I would assume 90 % is low.)

What is the benefit for Disney to reserve a group of passes for day of reservation? I don't think there is one. If 90 % of the guests will be disappointed by not getting a FP for soarin, what does it matter which 90 % that is? As the roll out finishes, I am fairly sure that all will get the same or similar access to pre booking, and then everyone will have the same or similar chance to get the coveted passes.

What has changed? Mostly the ability of a few to over use the FP system, making any given pass more available to a higher number of guests, making them happier. So if one person who pulls multi passes for soarin is limited to one, that is several others who will feel their experience has been improved.

This system will make a higher percentage of visitors have a better experience than the percentage that it disappoints. Overall that makes it a better system. If Disneys plan is to please the largest group of visitors, I think this will work.

Not to mention all of Lockedouts reasons pertaining to staffing and overall control.
ITA All the ones who are complaining that I get to ride X 10 times in a day with FP- are going to be unhappy. They will have to explore other parts of the park. They might even discover other things they like. Some will stop coming. Others will replace them and have a better experience with them gone.

They are like the guy I had the "pleasure" of being in our work cafeteria with. They changed how they did something. He *****ed and *****ed at the cashier and told her he was never coming again. This change has been in effect for a few weeks. Guess what, the cafeteria is as busy as ever.
__________________
What does $3.00 ham have to do with Mexico?
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #75
Tekneek
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bethlehem, GA
Posts: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
Guess what, the cafeteria is as busy as ever.
That says more about the psychology of human beings than it reveals about whether the change was good or bad. They tend to keep doing whatever they were doing before, even if it means putting up with more inconvenience or paying more for less, than drastically changing their habits in response.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.