Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

Disney Park Profits up to $2.2b

Article here..
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201311/3763/

So Disneys plan of announcing new attractions early, but delivering them incredibly sloooowly (while upping ticket, food and merch prices) seems to have worked!
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
PuppyJonathan
Mouseketeer

Does this mean more new attractions??
PuppyJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
In our dreams
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Tink575
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
No, it most likely means higher prices, more cost cutting and more schemes to cram every body possible into the parks.

I do have a (probably unrealistic) hope that FP+ had enlightened them to how few headliners they have. Epcot is well, ridiculous. Considering the revenue from Food & Wine etc. I doubt they care.

On the other hand Disney stock is up .95 today... but it was up $2 at one point.

Sept. - Oct. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

It just means we're paying more for the same old crap that was paid off decades ago...

Nothing to see here
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
It just means we're paying more for the same old crap that was paid off decades ago...

Nothing to see here
And we keep coming back. I own DVC and hardly do parks anymore. Restaurants off site are even better. And most times cheaper.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post

And we keep coming back. I own DVC and hardly do parks anymore. Restaurants off site are even better. And most times cheaper.
Can't argue...

We still like the look and feel of EPCOT... The hotels, blizzard and typhoon... The lakes and waterways...

But your point is dead on.

I can remember not TOO long ago coming out of restaurants and thinking "yeah, that was a little pricey...but it was fantastic"...almost every place and time

No if we an average meal the response is a shocked "hey...that was actually decent".

It seems to me that in their attempts to make the place more exclusive/profitable...they've actually made it far more ghetto. Which will lead to longterm erosion.

The problem of casting a net too large while squeezing every nickel on the molecular level.

Which is where the rubber bands are going...ultimately.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

I wish some of those profits were at least put into training/compensation for CMs. The decline in CM quality is one of the determining factors for us. If they need to pay better to get better, then do it. If they need more training to be better, then do it. Only Wall Street and the executive compensation plans really benefit from massive profits. Guests and CMs benefit much more from re-investing the money into the business.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I wish some of those profits were at least put into training/compensation for CMs. The decline in CM quality is one of the determining factors for us. If they need to pay better to get better, then do it. If they need more training to be better, then do it. Only Wall Street and the executive compensation plans really benefit from massive profits. Guests and CMs benefit much more from re-investing the money into the business.
I completely agree...

Which means that you and I know that there's no way in HELL that's gonna happen.

That's the hill they'll die on.
They are comfortable paying 1985 non-inflation adjusted wages. Good at the time - but completely unacceptable once it was increases in raw numbers expended. Not cutting into profits - just raw increases.

If this corporatist scam of "elimination of the minimum wage will help everybody - the market is always right" dogsh...I mean "dogma" ever gains ground...
The suits in the dwarve building will be donating their entire war chest to make sure it happens

They'll just try to hide it...you know... Can't be "anti-family"
And slitting throats might be perceived as such.

Yo ho

Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I can remember not TOO long ago coming out of restaurants and thinking "yeah, that was a little pricey...but it was fantastic"...almost every place and time

No if we an average meal the response is a shocked "hey...that was actually decent".

It seems to me that in their attempts to make the place more exclusive/profitable...they've actually made it far more ghetto. Which will lead to longterm erosion.
"Exclusive" is a marketing term. They should put less emphasis on "exclusive" experiences and more on "excellent" experiences. Disney, once upon a time, wrote the book on excellent service.

Now we have servers coming to tables and saying things like, "I can't get to the other side of the table, so someone will need to pass these around." I don't mind my family or friends talking to me that way, but for $50+ a seat I would actually appreciate being politely asked to pass drinks or food around the table (considering also that I am paying for the experience AND the mandatory gratuity for a party of 6 or more). When a ride goes down while waiting in the queue for an hour, and a CM comes through telling everyone they will get a FP on the way out, I don't expect a CM to be standing at the exit saying, "Sorry, we're all out of fastpasses" as if Disney does not have a way to generate more of these. These are insulting to guests who know better and taking advantage of guests that don't realize Disney can (and has in the past) do better.

Obviously, they're making a whole lot of money by winding down tough to measure things like guest service. It's a race to the bottom to provide as little of service quality as required to keep the profits rolling in. A great short term strategy, but one that could ultimately be destructive to the brand. They tried it with the movies and animation before, which ended up costing them a lot of money to restore the reputation to the brand. Shame to see they may have to learn that lesson elsewhere in the business as well.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
HIGHWIND
Earning My Ears

Isn't this though the same model that we experience with every other business?
HIGHWIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:

Here's a question I raise to you as well as to myself-- Could the perceived quality of the meals/ experience be due to the fact that we are becoming bored with the same, as opposed to the offerings becoming worse? As in anything in life, when I first experience something enjoyable (or unpleasant for that matter) it is more enjoyable than the subsequent experiences ( like crack?) ( not that I would know) because of it being a new and exciting experience. Maybe this is a case of too much of a good thing? People inherently look for flaws, and with increased exposure comes increased scrutiny. The special becomes the norm.

Wait-- what is the title of this thread? Oh....sorry.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post

Here's a question I raise to you as well as to myself-- Could the perceived quality of the meals/ experience be due to the fact that we are becoming bored with the same, as opposed to the offerings becoming worse? As in anything in life, when I first experience something enjoyable (or unpleasant for that matter) it is more enjoyable than the subsequent experiences ( like crack?) ( not that I would know) because of it being a new and exciting experience. Maybe this is a case of too much of a good thing? People inherently look for flaws, and with increased exposure comes increased scrutiny. The special becomes the norm.

Wait-- what is the title of this thread? Oh....sorry.
Maybe...I would say that's a "percentage"

But come on...it's wasn't hard to track the dining plan "rollout" and see what happened.
Right in clear view if you're looking

Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWIND View Post
Disney had a standard model from 1955-1995...

They have abandoned many of the aspects that lead to their reputation since...and are kind of "playing out the string" now.

Disney ground employees were trained to tout "service" on a daily basis once upon a time.

Find one who'll whisper the word now...

Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWIND View Post
In this case...it's a departure

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: