Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #106
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNGTE View Post
Good luck at check in. It took a long time for me yesterday (~1.5 hours). The line was long to begin with, at least 3 separate parties were having MB issues and waiting to be fixed at check in. When it's finally my turn, things weren't peachy either. The MB just wouldn't work right for charging dinning plan for all members of my party except for mine MB and half of the MB in my family won't open the resort doors. My wife's band won't allow pins to be attached for making a purchase either. (IT issues)
The regular cards though worked in all cases.
Let's say that MBs and MDE work perfectly for 99%+, and this level of malfunction only affects 1% of those coming to WDW...

That's still hundreds of thousands of grumpy MB/MDE/FP+ orphans running around the parks.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #107
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networth View Post
Those that say spending more on a Deluxe only entitles us to the room and the hotel amenities better stop using 180+10 ADR, or Disney Transportation , or Extra Magic Hours. After all off-site guest pay the same amount for park admission but can't do EMH. Everyone pays the same for ticket prices right? So no perks for staying on-site no matter the level. If you stay Value your paying for that room and hotel you should have no other perks because your only paying for the hotel. See how the whole "everyone" pays the same for park admission falls apart because Disney already shows they wish to give "perks" to those that spend more.
Yeah good point and there's nothing wrong with that. US/IOA has an amazing front of the line perk for folks staying at their resorts. There isn't any reason Disney shouldn't do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
At the resort that you pay more for, fine. You get better rooms, better amenities, and best of all proximity to the parks. At the parks however, I am of the opinion that since we all pay the same price for entry we should all get the same "perks" in the parks.
You generally pay more to stay onsite which is why you get the perks. The perk of staying offsite is getting a better room rate and/or getting an entire condo or house for the same rate as say a moderate. So yes, you will have better digs, but no you shouldn't get the same level of park perks too.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #108
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
At the resort that you pay more for, fine. You get better rooms, better amenities, and best of all proximity to the parks.

At the parks however, I am of the opinion that since we all pay the same price for entry we should all get the same "perks" in the parks.
And there are those who believe that WDW is the experience, and don't differentiate between the costs of the parks and the hotels. After all, they're staying in the hotels because of the parks. It's unlikely there'd be ALL those rooms unless the parks were there.

Just like all those who pay for the privilege of the VIP tour experience. They pay more at WDW -- they get more at WDW.

Finally, the beauty of MBs/MDE is that should Disney decide to tier their entry fees (already being implemented at MK vs other parks) you could literally have different levels of experience at different price points: an "entry only" level... an "A-B-C Ride Experience" level... an "All-Rides Experience" level.

Oh, the humanity!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #109
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
And there are those who believe that WDW is the experience, and don't differentiate between the costs of the parks and the hotels. After all, they're staying in the hotels because of the parks. It's unlikely there'd be ALL those rooms unless the parks were there.

Just like all those who pay for the privilege of the VIP tour experience. They pay more at WDW -- they get more at WDW.

Finally, the beauty of MBs/MDE is that should Disney decide to tier their entry fees (already being implemented at MK vs other parks) you could literally have different levels of experience at different price points: an "entry only" level... an "A-B-C Ride Experience" level... an "All-Rides Experience" level.

Oh, the humanity!!!
This

From a previous post: Disney occupancy rate for on-site hotels has been dropping the last few years and was around 80 or so percent last year (I believe that was the number I saw posted in another discussion). FP+ is focused specifically on increasing that. Disney gets 99% of dollars spent by on-site guests not close to that for off-site. If FP+ can help get that number into the mid-upper 90's, they will have accomplished their goal.

It's the razor/razor blade or printer/printer ink analogy: Printer companies make 3 times the revenue on printer ink as do shaving companies with razor blades. The added perks, such as more FP+ reservations available for on-site guests, are Disney's "razor".

That is why the increase in standby time (especially for off-site) is a secondary concern for them and why it's a safe bet that on-site will have more FP+opportunities in number and lead time for reserving. The added revenue from the additional on-site guests will more than off-set dollars lost by off-site standing in line.
clsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #110
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post
It's the razor/razor blade or printer/printer ink analogy: Printer companies make 3 times the revenue on printer ink as do shaving companies with razor blades. The added perks, such as more FP+ reservations available for on-site guests, are Disney's "razor".
Great analogy for the point you're making!
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #111
sonogirl
Fan of the Disney World Snake thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkt View Post
The FP+ whining is the very definition of First World Problems. I am heading down tomorrow and I am just astonishingly grateful that a) a place like WDW exists at all, b) that I don't have to work for a week, and c) that my kids are going to be really happy. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #112
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Yeah good point and there's nothing wrong with that. US/IOA has an amazing front of the line perk for folks staying at their resorts. There isn't any reason Disney shouldn't do the same.
Realistically, I don't see how Disney can do the same thing as US/IOA does (and I am a huge fan of the FOTL perk there). The 3 resorts at Uni combined have a max of about 2,400 rooms. That is about equivalent to only AOA and BLT at Disney - add in the thousands of other WDW rooms and there are just too many to support the same kind of perk. Even Uni is not including their latest soon-to-open value resort in their FOTL perks.
I guess WDW could always offer an extended FP+ booking window and/or extra FP+ picks to their on-site guests, but even that could take quite a bite out of available FP+s for others just due to the sheer volume of rooms.
We'll see.

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #113
kate2961
Mouseketeer

I don't personally like the idea of being able to buy better access to the rides, shows, etc. I would like it better if the family struggling to even go to the park for one visit would have the same opportunity to ride rides as the family that can afford to buy a home at Golden Oak.

It's not that management can't do it, they can. I just don't want them to.

Kate
kate2961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #114
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post
This

From a previous post: Disney occupancy rate for on-site hotels has been dropping the last few years and was around 80 or so percent last year (I believe that was the number I saw posted in another discussion). FP+ is focused specifically on increasing that. Disney gets 99% of dollars spent by on-site guests not close to that for off-site. If FP+ can help get that number into the mid-upper 90's, they will have accomplished their goal.

That is why the increase in standby time (especially for off-site) is a secondary concern for them and why it's a safe bet that on-site will have more FP+opportunities in number and lead time for reserving. The added revenue from the additional on-site guests will more than off-set dollars lost by off-site standing in line.
I agree. I have always believed that Disney is working towards keeping guests onsite for the duration of their stay. DME was a great start. No need to rent a car or pay for transportation....you just hop aboard and enjoy the ride. Add the inexpensive rollout of the previous DDP....no distinction between resorts, no need to pay tips, eat where you want and enjoy those experiences. Well, the DDP is no longer inexpensive and is probably not an incentive to staying onsite. DME is nice, and I admit a huge perk for my family, but is not enough to entice families to choose onsite resorts. What to do, what to do??? Give folks a head start to booking attractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe there will be charges later. Maybe there will be distinctions between resorts. Maybe there will be nothing offered to offsite guests. Who know? But any advantage that onsite can offer those people who want to maximize their stay may be the difference between capturing all of their vacation dollars and losing some of those dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate2961 View Post
I don't personally like the idea of being able to buy better access to the rides, shows, etc. I would like it better if the family struggling to even go to the park for one visit would have the same opportunity to ride rides as the family that can afford to buy a home at Golden Oak.

It's not that management can't do it, they can. I just don't want them to.

Kate

I am not sure how I feel, but from a management POV, if I can fill my resorts, keep the majority of the vacation dollars my guests have allocated towards their vacation....it is my obligation to try to do just that.

There have always been families whose spending is limited. I was not able to take my children until my fiance paid for us to go. Had he not had the funds, I would have had to continue to take them on less expensive vacations, and I would have done so. Other families make decisions that mirror those I had to make every day.

Once you enter the parks, I believe that much of the playing field is evened out, and while Disney is in this testing phase, it is not possible to see how this will all pan out. If Disney chooses to allocate earlier booking times, or perhaps a few more bookings if they are onsite guests, I believe this is fair. If they choose to shut out offsite guests from FP + altogether, I think there will be a huge negative fallout, and I bet Disney will not chance that.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #115
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate2961 View Post
I would like it better if the family struggling to even go to the park for one visit would have the same opportunity to ride rides as the family that can afford to buy a home at Golden Oak.
Like they did for the past decade and a half under the legacy FP system.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

Last edited by magicbob; 11-03-2013 at 10:09 AM.
magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #116
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post

I have a friend here now who is diagnosed OCD, and sometimes goes off her meds. And she assures me that in no way would an OCD person be making so many changes. To quote her, "We like our rituals. We fear change."

OCD people do not embrace change, they do not experiment with things.

If she was in charge of Disney, you'd all still be on the original ticket-book system, cash only. And none of you would be allowed to use credit cards for your purchases. Too newfangled!

Know your mental illnesses, before using them pejoratively.

(Personally, I think it's more likely that a bunch of chaos-worshippers like me are in charge.)
No, I think they are new to Disney, and that's why we are having all these changes - they want to have control so they can have their rituals! Or would this control of every little thing possible be more spectrumish? Whatever it is, it is definitely a new atmosphere of control that wasn't there before. If it was a single person coming up with these ideas, I'd be calling for a personnel review. Anyways, pretty soon we'll have to have magic bands to access toilets, and we'll only get 3 visits a day...
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #117
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I'm not gleeful but I do marvel at how people's views can be changed so quickly when the shoe is on the other foot so to speak. It also makes you wonder what if anything Disney will come up with next.
This was the original plan, the last 6 months or so have been a diversion.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #118
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Someone on one of these threads called it "magic." That's a very good analogy. One of the foundational principles of magic is misdirection... getting you to look at the pretty assistant so you don't notice the surly stagehand opening the trap door!

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #119
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Exactly! But it did make their charts and graphs seem to flow a little more to the positive side of things. Corporate doesn't like things in the negative.
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #120
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
No, I think they are new to Disney, and that's why we are having all these changes - they want to have control so they can have their rituals! Or would this control of every little thing possible be more spectrumish? Whatever it is, it is definitely a new atmosphere of control that wasn't there before. If it was a single person coming up with these ideas, I'd be calling for a personnel review. Anyways, pretty soon we'll have to have magic bands to access toilets, and we'll only get 3 visits a day...
Yeah... obsessive-compulsive disorder really doesn't work like that. Nor does autism spectrum disorder. Like I said, it'd be awfully nice if you tried to educate yourself before using actual mental illnesses as pejorative terms to label groups of people (such as Disney's management teams).

Anyway, there's been a number of intelligent, thoughtful posts on here already explaining all of this from a management perspective, so I don't need to go into that again.

I'll just say that I'm just very much enjoying the recent spate of "Just back! Loved the MagicBands/FP+!" posts today. It's making me feel excited, looking forward to my December trip!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: