Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #91
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networth View Post
I really hope they tier it for resort levels. If I am spending $500+ a night for a hotel room I want some perks beyond what the person spending $120 a night is getting.
your perks are at your hotel. If you don't feel like you are getting your money's worth, then stay someplace else.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #92
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

"Entertained" is not the word I would use. ;-)

Despite all the MDE, FP+, MB craziness, I am still looking forward to our January trip. I think we'll have fun.

However, I am not only a vacationer, but a stockholder. My concern is that I just do not see where the billions that they have invested will yield returns. For billions, I would expect much, much more. Like a new park. Or at least new amazing rides. Or new restaurants (and I don't mean a lounge here or there where you can grab a glass of wine, but a real new wow experience). I'm just not seeing the ROI on this. And every time they "detract" from the experience, I think about folks like my DH that has to be convinced to go to WDW (we did not go this year, simply because I could not convince him!) and how frequently we will really get to go in the future.

For me it's not about riding Test Track or Soarin' and it isn't for my DH either. We like to spend time in the resort and look at the little details and enjoy the parades, etc. But the kids want to ride the attractions and so we ride them and then leave time for us to do the other relaxing stuff. So if we have to spend more time in lines, it's just not as relaxing or as fun of a vacation anymore.

I think the BTG and the likes will fill the void left by those who do not want to wait in lines, so at the end of the day, maybe my Disney stock won't do too bad. No sense in worrying about it anyway. Disney has clearly embarked in this process and there is no turning back.

P.S. - The whole concept of where to vacation is really a first-world problem. If you don't have enough resources to put dinner on the table or have a safe roof, you are simply not going to be able to spend any time deciding where to go on vacation. But think about the huge leisure travel industry. Think about all the companies that offer leisure travel services, hotels, cruises, destinations, restaurants, etc. Think about all the web discussion forums dedicated to travel. I've participated in many different ones throughout the years with a different focus. WDW is competing against many other more interesting locales than Orlando and unless they can put a superior product on the table, they will not get back the billions that they have put into this.

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu

Last edited by vinotinto; 11-02-2013 at 05:15 PM.
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #93
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS4210 View Post
Gotta say I agree with this. Call me a Disney snob, elitist or whatever, but if I'm plunking down $600-$700/night to get a Boardwalk view concierge room, I see nothing wrong with this. It's just another perk. If you wanna save some cash and stay at All Stars or Pop Century, so be it.

We stayed at Portofino Bay in Universal and loved having the front of the line access to all of the rides (except HP) and, I gotta admit, I didn't feel guilty at all walking past everyone else and hopping on the rides.

What's wrong with giving a bit extra to those who spend more? I save $100 on APs every year since I'm a DVC member and I feel like that is a well deserved perk. They've gotten a lot of my cash over the years (a lot of it upfront) and will continue to get more in the upcoming years. Perk away, I say...

Jim
At the resort that you pay more for, fine. You get better rooms, better amenities, and best of all proximity to the parks.

At the parks however, I am of the opinion that since we all pay the same price for entry we should all get the same "perks" in the parks.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #94
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post

At the resort that you pay more for, fine. You get better rooms, better amenities, and best of all proximity to the parks.

At the parks however, I am of the opinion that since we all pay the same price for entry we should all get the same "perks" in the parks.
I concur.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #95
rajahfan7
Mouseketeer

I am entertained by everyone freaking out over MB in general. Things change. sheesh. Just have fun!

rajahfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #96
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

I could be wrong, but I thought the original tests were with tiers, and you could only pick one from the "better" tier for each park. Am I remembering correctly? I know it is all still in test, but I thought the tiered system was the intention from the beginning.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #97
Networth
It all started with a mouse...or something like that.

Those that say spending more on a Deluxe only entitles us to the room and the hotel amenities better stop using 180+10 ADR, or Disney Transportation , or Extra Magic Hours. After all off-site guest pay the same amount for park admission but can't do EMH. Everyone pays the same for ticket prices right? So no perks for staying on-site no matter the level. If you stay Value your paying for that room and hotel you should have no other perks because your only paying for the hotel. See how the whole "everyone" pays the same for park admission falls apart because Disney already shows they wish to give "perks" to those that spend more.

Next “official" Trip: 12/12/14-12/21/14 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
Networth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #98
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought the original tests were with tiers, and you could only pick one from the "better" tier for each park. Am I remembering correctly? I know it is all still in test, but I thought the tiered system was the intention from the beginning.
You are correct that this was once the norm for FP+ testing, but there is no way to know what Disney's original intention was.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #99
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
Yes. I got to test in May 2012 and it was tiered.

I'm a very "go with the flow" type of person. plus, I've been to WDW many times. It's not all about the rides for me.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #100
pavicich
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Those that say spending more on a Deluxe only entitles us to the room and the hotel amenities better stop using 180+10 ADR, or Disney Transportation , or Extra Magic Hours. After all off-site guest pay the same amount for park admission but can't do EMH. Everyone pays the same for ticket prices right? So no perks for staying on-site no matter the level. If you stay Value your paying for that room and hotel you should have no other perks because your only paying for the hotel. See how the whole "everyone" pays the same for park admission falls apart because Disney already shows they wish to give "perks" to those that spend more.
This exactly.

If you prefer offsite I can see how this would be bothersome, however the list above does lead one to seriously wonder why FP+ advantages wouldn't be extended to on-site guests over those that don't stay on property (tiered or otherwise). Of course, this assumes some version of FP+ will be offered to offsite guests also eventually.

Disney is promoting an "experience" not just a hotel stay or park visit. They are tweaking the business model and it is a huge change. We all just don't know yet once the dust settles if we will be happy with the new "experience" vs what we have come to expect.
pavicich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #101
JimS4210
Counting down the days until our next vacation...

Quote:
Exactly. Disney already doesn't play by the same rules with all of its guests. There are already benefits to staying onsite vs. offsite when it comes to EMH or dinner reservations within the parks. So the argument that "We pay the same for park admission so we should get treated exactly the same" doesn't work. I think this is the next logical step and I hope Disney considers this.

Jim

JimS4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #102
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavicich View Post
This exactly.

If you prefer offsite I can see how this would be bothersome, however the list above does lead one to seriously wonder why FP+ advantages wouldn't be extended to on-site guests over those that don't stay on property (tiered or otherwise). Of course, this assumes some version of FP+ will be offered to offsite guests also eventually.

Disney is promoting an "experience" not just a hotel stay or park visit. They are tweaking the business model and it is a huge change. We all just don't know yet once the dust settles if we will be happy with the new "experience" vs what we have come to expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS4210 View Post
Exactly. Disney already doesn't play by the same rules with all of its guests. There are already benefits to staying onsite vs. offsite when it comes to EMH or dinner reservations within the parks. So the argument that "We pay the same for park admission so we should get treated exactly the same" doesn't work. I think this is the next logical step and I hope Disney considers this.

Jim
Walt Disney Company is bigger than just WDW though. There is also Disneyland Resort in California, the overseas parks, etc. DLR & WDW had the same FP- system in place in both locations. Can we assume the same FP+ system will eventually be in place in both locations? DLR's bread and butter comes from the local SoCal population. There are only 3 small Disney hotels and a handful of good neighbor hotels. I really don't think DLR's day guests would like it if FP+ was reserved only for Disney hotel guests. Would Disney risk biting the hand that feeds them like that?

Most of us assume (without official numbers of course), that WDW's guests are split 30%-50% on site and 70%-50% off site, depending on the time of year. That's a lot of offsite guests to p*ss off. Can Disney afford to do that?
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #103
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
You really think the DIS is the only forum talking about this? We aren't talking about someone sporting a lime green Mickey head paint chip from Home Depot here anymore.
It does seem to be the unhappiest one, from what I've seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Between the magic bands tracking where we are in the parks and hotel rooms, ADR with the CC hold, FP+ planning in advance, and now a lame tiered system (not one thing on the second tier needs a FP!) I'm thinking Disney has been taken over by a bunch of OCD control freaks off of their meds.
I have a friend here now who is diagnosed OCD, and sometimes goes off her meds. And she assures me that in no way would an OCD person be making so many changes. To quote her, "We like our rituals. We fear change."

OCD people do not embrace change, they do not experiment with things.

If she was in charge of Disney, you'd all still be on the original ticket-book system, cash only. And none of you would be allowed to use credit cards for your purchases. Too newfangled!

Know your mental illnesses, before using them pejoratively.

(Personally, I think it's more likely that a bunch of chaos-worshippers like me are in charge.)
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #104
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

A lot of people have mentioned the enormous costs Disney has incurred in creating the Magic Bands system, the universally negative reviews of the new system, and how everybody everywhere has nothing but bad things to say about Magic Bands from Disney's financial perspective.

So, after all this bad news, how is it affecting Disney financially, especially in terms of its stock price, you ask?

Disney's stock price

It's at all time highs! Sure, the parks are only one arm of the enormous Disney conglomerate, but Magic Bands aren't even a blip on the financial radar. Nobody cares.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #105
HUNGTE
Earning My Ears

good luck

Last edited by HUNGTE; 12-06-2013 at 06:30 AM.
HUNGTE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: