Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #211
robpa
Mouseketeer

It will probably be free for resort guest and a ticket add on for everyone else
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #212
robpa
Mouseketeer

It will probably be free for resort guests and a ticket add on for everyone else
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #213
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogicllc

Oh yeah everyone who stays onsite should get the exact same experience as someone staying offsite. *not*.

Oh yeah when you pay $500/nt to stay at the Poly it's for a nicer room. Hah. Have you seen the Poly rooms? They look like -- oh yeah. A hotel room. With housekeepers who make animals out of your towels. You are not paying for just a room.

If you feel the off-site is enough of a savings that it's worth it to you to do so, given you wont get on rides as fast, that is your CHOICE. If you want the fast passes, then pay the extra $100-$300/nt to stay on property. But certainly don't complain that Disney won't give you something for free that others paid a premium for.

Of course Disney is going to offer perk after perk - some of them being things that ARE REALLY VALUEABLE like FPs - to entice guests to spend big bucks and stay at their resorts.

This is business. Disney's goal is to maximize its own profit while killing off all the competing business. Remember those competing Holiday Inns and HoJos only exist there because they are leeching off the Disney attractions in the first place... now, they will have one more obstacle in their way while they attempt to suck Disney guests offsite by offering cheaper rooms.

I can't help but think all the new changes are AWESOME. It is progress -- picking your FPs from the convenience of your home. No rush for Kiosks. Less abuse by FastPass Runners / Masters. More money spent by most guests. More profit for Disney = more capital investment. There may be some volatility during the mmHg rollout but that happens w everything new, leading to much better later.

It's just... too funny to read some of these rants.
This...exactly. Others may view the resorts/parks as separate entities, unfortunately for them, however, Disney does not, as evidenced by park specific perks they offer their on-site guests...such as EMH, and right now, access to FP+ (which has been amazing so far...)

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #214
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgardesign View Post
Well....I guess I am a bit of a moron, then. As I just don't see how this new-fangled system is really going to solve any issues.

Ultimately, it is a just a high-dollar shell game. The same numbers of visitors (or more) will be visiting the parks. Ergo, they same numbers of people will still be jockeying for the same number of attractions (or in WDW methodology.....SLOWLY increasing numbers of attractions). But instead of pulling FastPasses at the park for an attraction (or if they want to be all hi-techy 'n' stuff, use the new fangled MagicBands to swipe a head thingy and get a return time....maybe without....GASP....a printed pass....it could go to relatively working, almost connected to wifi smartphone, if you want....and if the battery has poohed the bed yet).

But now.....the same number of people will be jockeying for online attraction reservations, or.....joy.....standing in an insanely stand-by line if they don't think to make reservations (or, if they stay off-site, or are locals, whatever....at least as it is now).

Can they justify it with number crunching? I am sure they can, but it doesn't change the fact that a certain amount of traffic will be going to a certain number of attractions.

Makes no sense to me.
I have Lots of summary articles on the page in my signature. Disney wants people locked into rides 60 days in advance to keep them in the parks. If FP+ are valuable people won't want lose them and the treat them like gold. Or golden carrots.

But I think your analysis is missing one important piece... A much higher percentage of people will be using fastpasses, so there are far fewer per person. And that is why the tiers are necessary.

Disney has said they do not plan on holding any back for the day of attendance.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #215
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogicllc

Oh yeah everyone who stays onsite should get the exact same experience as someone staying offsite. *not*.

Oh yeah when you pay $500/nt to stay at the Poly it's for a nicer room. Hah. Have you seen the Poly rooms? They look like -- oh yeah. A hotel room. With housekeepers who make animals out of your towels. You are not paying for just a room.

If you feel the off-site is enough of a savings that it's worth it to you to do so, given you wont get on rides as fast, that is your CHOICE. If you want the fast passes, then pay the extra $100-$300/nt to stay on property. But certainly don't complain that Disney won't give you something for free that others paid a premium for.

Of course Disney is going to offer perk after perk - some of them being things that ARE REALLY VALUEABLE like FPs - to entice guests to spend big bucks and stay at their resorts.

This is business. Disney's goal is to maximize its own profit while killing off all the competing business. Remember those competing Holiday Inns and HoJos only exist there because they are leeching off the Disney attractions in the first place... now, they will have one more obstacle in their way while they attempt to suck Disney guests offsite by offering cheaper rooms.

I can't help but think all the new changes are AWESOME. It is progress -- picking your FPs from the convenience of your home. No rush for Kiosks. Less abuse by FastPass Runners / Masters. More money spent by most guests. More profit for Disney = more capital investment. There may be some volatility during the mmHg rollout but that happens w everything new, leading to much better later.

It's just... too funny to read some of these rants.
This...exactly. Others may view the resorts/parks as separate entities, unfortunately for them, however, Disney does not, as evidenced by park specific perks they offer their on-site guests...such as EMH, and right now, access to FP+ (which has been amazing so far...)

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #216
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I have Lots of summary articles on the page in my signature. Disney wants people locked into rides 60 days in advance to keep them in the parks. If FP+ are valuable people won't want lose them and the treat them like gold. Or golden carrots.

But I think your analysis is missing one important piece... A much higher percentage of people will be using fastpasses, so there are far fewer per person. And that is why the tiers are necessary.

Disney has said they do not plan on holding any back for the day of attendance.
Well....that all sounds lovely.

But, at the end of the day, our trips have always resulted in being able to (pretty easily actually) do pretty much all attractions (without using many FastPasses....save for the odd, super-strong draws) and no REAL long lines.

But, it would seem (speculatively, on my part, of course), that the FP+ system with its tiered makeup, will limit the accessibility, across the board. So, one would be (at this point) limited to three attractions in one park per day that can be reserved. The rest will need to be accessed by stand-by lines, yes? Lines, that by the law of averages will be longer (due to limited FP+ accessibilities and longer waits to accommodate those who DO have a FP+ for that attraction).

As my wife stated when I was trying to explain the tiered dealio to her, "So....we could get a FP+ thing for Soarin' but not TT? And if we want to ride TT we'll have to wait in line....like a potentially REALLY long line? Getting a FP will no longer be an option? Yeah....we're not paying $4,000 - $5,000 for that privilege."

Have to agree with her.

And I am sure, as I mentioned, this probably makes sense to the number-bangers in Disney corporate cubicles, somewhere. But, I think it will result in frustration for many visitors. Hopefully not. And I am sure many people will have splendid, albeit VERY regimented vacations.

But, I think we probably won't be some of them.

Last edited by metzgardesign; 11-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.
metzgardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #217
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:

But, at the end of the day, our trips have always resulted in being able to (pretty easily actually) doing pretty much all attractions (without using many FastPasses....save for the odd, super-strong draws) and no REAL long lines.

But, it would seem (speculatively, on my part, of course), that the FP+ system with its tiered makeup, will limit the accessibility, across the board. So, one would be (at this point) limited to three attractions in one park per day that can be reserved. The rest will need to be accessed by stand-by lines, yes? Lines, that by the law of averages will be longer (due to limited FP+ accessibilities and longer waits to accommodate those who DO have a FP+ for that attraction).

As my wife stated when I was trying to explain the tiered dealio to her, "So....we could get a FP+ thing for Soarin' but not TT? And if we want to ride TT we'll have to wait in line....like a potentially REALLY long line? Getting a FP will no longer be an option? Yeah....we're not paying $4,000 - $5,000 for that privilege."

Have to agree with her.

And I am sure, as I mentioned, this probably makes sense to the number-bangers in Disney corporate cubicles, somewhere. But, I think it will result in frustration for many visitors. Hopefully not. And I am sure many people will have splendid, albeit VERY regimented vacations.

I'm just hoping that somehow the corporate cubicles and the creative minds can meet halfway in the middle to somehow straighten out this mess. I have my fingers crossed.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #218
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgardesign View Post

But, at the end of the day, our trips have always resulted in being able to (pretty easily actually) do pretty much all attractions (without using many FastPasses....save for the odd, super-strong draws) and no REAL long lines.

Have to agree with her.

Lovely is not the word I have been using.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #219
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Disney wants people locked into rides 60 days in advance to keep them in the parks. If FP+ are valuable people won't want lose them and the treat them like gold. Or golden carrots.
Then wouldn't it make sense to include off-site guest in the pre-booking too? The way I see it on-site guest are already more committed to being in the park. How are they going to get the off-site guest to commit? It is hard for me to believe that they are losing high numbers of on-site guest to other theme parks. Sure, maybe a day or 2 here and there but why would someone pay the higher rate for a Disney room to visit other parks?
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #220
robpa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
Then wouldn't it make sense to include off-site guest in the pre-booking too? The way I see it on-site guest are already more committed to being in the park. How are they going to get the off-site guest to commit? It is hard for me to believe that they are losing high numbers of on-site guest to other theme parks. Sure, maybe a day or 2 here and there but why would someone pay the higher rate for a Disney room to visit other parks?
I can speak from my experience, when we went we spent 2 days @ Universal, 2 days @ Seaworld(only because of the 2nd day free thing they had) and 5 days in the Disney parks. My thinking was if we are flying down to Fla and spending money we might as well do and see as much as we can. So I spent 4 days giving my money to someone other than Disney. That was the 1st 2x we went. The 3rd trip was a little different.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #221
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

If roughly 50% of those who visit the Disney parks are offsite visitors, will FP+ really change that that much? Will those people be happy to commit to more expensive and smaller hotel rooms in order to get one headliner FP?

The new visitor might be but I can't imagine that those who go to WDW often will be particularly impressed with this. Of course I could be very wrong.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #222
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
If roughly 50% of those who visit the Disney parks are offsite visitors, will FP+ really change that that much? Will those people be happy to commit to more expensive and smaller hotel rooms in order to get one headliner FP?

The new visitor might be but I can't imagine that those who go to WDW often will be particularly impressed with this. Of course I could be very wrong.

I think this is a major flaw in Disney's logic behind FP+.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #223
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
The original material from all Disney spokespeople said on and off site guests would have similar access. I think it is coming. The fastpasses are connected to tickets.

If off site guests weren't allowed pre booking, that would open up a lot of fastpasses to sell. But, there hasn't been any hint of this. Staggs outright said off site guests are important and will have access. These current tests are connected to on site rooms so CMs can coach you at check in. Although, the Kidani people couldn't tell me much a few weeks ago.

I still believe the "three free for all"Motto will be the end result. After that, there won't be much to hand out except at MK. It's those pesky local ap holders that provide the intrigue. How will Disney stop them from over booking? That mystery is still very much an enigma.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #224
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post

Regular customers will be strung along with promises of new lands in the parks. The response to Harry potter London. Just hints of a Carsland, Star Wars land, a new restaurant keep us coming back for more.

Plus we have the wave of interactive queues and ride experiences. What are those hidden monitors at the end of small world going to do? :-). We must return. And someday the new mountain will open.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #225
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

I've been reading these threads for the last hour all from my balcony at AKL... (our first time staying in a Disney 'Deluxe' hotel) I feel lucky we are getting out of Dodge tomorrow morning. FP+ worked fairly well for our family, especially on Friday when we couldn't get out of our room fast enough and arrived at DHS at 10:30- just inside our first FP window for ToT. Do you know how good it felt walking into DHS with my DD7, DS2 (Mr. Cranky pants), DD5m knowing I had my ToT, RnRC, and TSM FPs already in our hands?

I booked all of our FP+ rides a few weeks ago using Disney's quirky website. We have been to WDW average 2x for the last 6 years. I can see where a tiered system might be beneficial especially to the 1st timers or guests that 'have no clue' Imaging booking your 3 FP+ reservations on IASM, Main St. Mickey, and the teacups? Walking through those shiny new FP+ entrances passing 10 people in the Standby line? Don't you think those people would get upset? However, to people who know what they want, it will be back to being at the park for RD to hit the missed 1st tier FP+ attractions first. Will that make the lines any shorter? Doubt it.

The crowds were still pretty busy this week but the lines for rides weren't horrible- if you knew what you were doing. I did find that the entrances for the FP lines were long. The bands take longer to scan than showing a FP ticket. Also there were many people who would scan the bands at the FP entrance and be told they didn't have FP+ booked. Maybe they thought they could get into any ride with the MBs?

I was able to change a few FP+s on the fly using the APP. A nice family handed us Little Mermaid ride FP- tickets and I had that booked on our 2nd MK day. So I was able to cancel Mermaid and add Jungle cruise. Why Jungle cruise? The standby was getting long early in the morning and I didn't want to chance missing the backside of water. The android version of the APP is super slow compared to the iPhone version. (I compared it to a friend I met up with) I also found the APP to be confusing when it came to changing FP+ rides/times. Sometimes it worked other times not so much. I never connected to Disney's wifi while in the parks... I was getting close to 40mbps on my HCTone with ATT 4g LTE service.

Anyway, what am I trying to say? I found FP+ to be a help (mostly) to a planning family. Are the days a winging it done? What will be available to someone who books last minute? What about the family who stays offsite? Are they screwed? Will Disney allow 3FP+ at more than 1 park per day(MK needs at least 4 IMO)? Will the tired system stay or go? (hopefully go) I guess only time will tell. Glad I'll be on an airplane tomorrow afternoon and won't have to worry about this drama. Its back to reality for me.

Hopefully I'll get a survey and tell 'em what was good and not so good with the system.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: