Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #196
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa
I would not be happy if I was unable to have the same opportunity to enjoy an amusement park the same as everyone else after having paid the same price.
Universal Studios guests all pay the same entry ticket price, just like Disney's guests. But Universal gives their on site guests one hour early entry to WWoHP AND unlimited express pass. Off site guests don't get any early entry (like EMH at Disney) and they must pay for express pass, which is ONCE per ride, not unlimited like it is for on site. The new value resort that Universal is building will not have express pass, only the WWoHP early entry.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #197
robpa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Universal Studios guests all pay the same entry ticket price, just like Disney's guests. But Universal gives their on site guests one hour early entry to WWoHP AND unlimited express pass. Off site guests don't get any early entry (like EMH at Disney) and they must pay for express pass, which is ONCE per ride, not unlimited like it is for on site. The new value resort that Universal is building will not have express pass, only the WWoHP early entry.
I think the difference is that there are more rides in the 2 Universal parks. When we last went in Oct of 2010 we wouldn't have needed FOTL access. Lines were not long at all. Even with non resort guests at Universal you would still get to ride all of the express pass rides once which is more than the 3 rides that Disney is offering now. Which is the better deal if your goal is to ride rides?
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #198
f19810
Mouseketeer

Is comparing Universal to Disney really like comparing apples to apples? Rollarcoarsters don't like me and since Universal has a lot of rides that I can't ride, I haven't been there for around several years. When I priced things out, three days at universal was cheaper than three days at disney. Adding the express pass evened things up. If disney wants off site guests to pay for a fast pass, then universal will be cheaper. Also, most people will spend more time at disney so 5 days of fast passes can really add up for a family compared to two or three days at universal.
f19810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #199
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
I don't see how that fits. Coach is coach is coach. Everyone is treated the same in coach regardless of how or what you paid. You get a bag of nuts and a soda. LOL
I flew Cryin' Air to Dublin last month and you don't even get a bag of nuts and a soda unless you pay extra for it. I did spring for the $10 euros extra to reserve a seat. The race from the terminal to the tarmac for a Ryan Air flight (first come, first served seating) makes the old Toy Story Mania dash look like a walk in the park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmychuds View Post
I'm kind of having a good time watching grown adults lose grip on reality a little bit, I'll admit it.

It seems funny to see someone who obviously is an obsessive planner get upset because fp+ was obviously not in their plans and now their plans are ever so slightly changed.
I don't have a trip to WDW planned until well after FP+ should be well established and (hopefully) all the kinks and bugs worked out. But I have a lot of sympathy for people who are spending thousands of dollars on their vacation during this tumultuous testing. It's not about being obsessed and not able to deal with a slight change. This is not a slight change if someone finds themself fighting huge crowds/lines or they have to spend hours at guest relations just to fix a glitch so they can even enter the park. A lot of people offer the advice to just "go with the flow" but I'd be interested to see how well your vacation flows if it's YOU that's waiting in the hours long GR line because a glitch is preventing you from entering the park and meanwhile you have skrimped and saved for this trip and you're having to spend a significant chunk of it missing out on the vacation while you're trying to get the problem fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCharlotte View Post
And if you happen to start your WDW stay at the end of the week instead of the beginning, good luck getting a headliner FP+ for Friday when everyone else's booking window opened six days earlier.
I see this as a very concerning systemic problem. The overlapping windows of different guests' visits will wreak havoc on availability. Under legacy FP every morning was a clean slate. If you chose to get up and go to the park early enough, there were always FPs available. Under the new system, EVEN IF you get up at the crack of dawn 60 days before your trip, all the FPs could be gone because someone else's (a lot of someone elses) trip begins sooner than yours. Someone explain to me again about that level playing field?

Quote:
Can't wait 'til people book two (or more) weeks at a resort, grab FP+ for the second week with a jump on the competition, and then cancel the first week/s. People do that to get spots at our popular state park campgrounds, so I'm pretty sure they will at Disney.
But I thought the FP+ system is tied to tickets and not hotel reservation. You would need two weeks worth of tickets to reserve FP+ for the following week. Unless someone goes to the expense of adding NE option to the ticket, this seems an unlikely practice. But I'm sure if there's a loophole to exploit, we'll be the ones to figure it out.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

Last edited by magicbob; 11-04-2013 at 05:24 PM.
magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #200
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Disney to Universal isn't apples to apples. I'm not implying it is. I AM telling all the "Disney can't/won't do" that it's not impossible nor without precedent, both within Disney & at other theme parks.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #201
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Fun!

It's as if the WDW leadership (and I use that term very loosely, at this point) said "Hey....this whole FP+/MagicBand rollout isn't going quite badly enough. What can we do to FUBAR it just a bit more? Wait.....I know....."

metzgardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #202
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Universal does have more headliners to spread people out more than some of the Disney parks. Notice how MK isn't having the same issues as Epcot or DHS.

As for comparing a Disney resort to a Universal resort, I only commented because the Universal resort wasn't described correctly. It is possible for other resorts to be as nice or even nicer than Disney resorts. Of course that part is irrelevant if the goal is to stay onsite.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #203
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgardesign View Post
Fun!

It's as if the WDW leadership (and I use that term very loosely, at this point) said "Hey....this whole FP+/MagicBand rollout isn't going quite badly enough. What can we do to FUBAR it just a bit more? Wait.....I know....."

I agree with your sentiments, but having tiers is how this program was introduced last December. Disney went away from it temporarily. There simply aren't enough headliners to go around outside of MK when everyone gets on board. This really isn't a new development.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #204
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post

But I thought the FP+ system is tied to tickets and not hotel reservation. You would need two weeks worth of tickets to reserve FP+ for the following week. Unless someone goes to the expense of adding NE option to the ticket, this seems an unlikely practice. But I'm sure if there's a loophole to exploit, we'll be the ones to figure it out.
It depends on how the final version of this measures the window for onsite guests -- 60 days before the first day you plan to use a ticket or 60 days before the first day of your resort stay. (Or whatever the length of the window they end up using.) Even if people can only book 60+10, similar to ADRs, that still provides a significant advantage.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. I honestly can't wait to find out how many people actually start booking at the exact moment they can, and how well Disney informs the average guest.
KatieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #205
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
It depends on how the final version of this measures the window for onsite guests -- 60 days before the first day you plan to use a ticket or 60 days before the first day of your resort stay. (Or whatever the length of the window they end up using.) Even if people can only book 60+10, similar to ADRs, that still provides a significant advantage.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. I honestly can't wait to find out how many people actually start booking at the exact moment they can, and how well Disney informs the average guest.
Is this a joke?

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #206
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I agree with your sentiments, but having tiers is how this program was introduced last December. Disney went away from it temporarily. There simply aren't enough headliners to go around outside of MK when everyone gets on board. This really isn't a new development.
Ahhh....my Disney Fu failed me.

So, if'n you get a FP+ to, say, Soarin', then you're kinda screwed for a FP+ to, say, Test Track, for that day?

This plan is asinine. An absolute messed up mess.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #207
disneyerin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ahhh....my Disney Fu failed me.

So, if'n you get a FP+ to, say, Soarin', then you're kinda screwed for a FP+ to, say, Test Track, for that day?

This plan is asinine. An absolute messed up mess.
Yeah, and if/when they do away with FP-, you're kinda "screwed" for ANY FPs other than that one.
disneyerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #208
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Well....I guess I am a bit of a moron, then. As I just don't see how this new-fangled system is really going to solve any issues.

Ultimately, it is a just a high-dollar shell game. The same numbers of visitors (or more) will be visiting the parks. Ergo, they same numbers of people will still be jockeying for the same number of attractions (or in WDW methodology.....SLOWLY increasing numbers of attractions). But instead of pulling FastPasses at the park for an attraction (or if they want to be all hi-techy 'n' stuff, use the new fangled MagicBands to swipe a head thingy and get a return time....maybe without....GASP....a printed pass....it could go to relatively working, almost connected to wifi smartphone, if you want....and if the battery has poohed the bed yet).

But now.....the same number of people will be jockeying for online attraction reservations, or.....joy.....standing in an insanely stand-by line if they don't think to make reservations (or, if they stay off-site, or are locals, whatever....at least as it is now).

Can they justify it with number crunching? I am sure they can, but it doesn't change the fact that a certain amount of traffic will be going to a certain number of attractions.

Makes no sense to me.

Last edited by metzgardesign; 11-04-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #209
robpa
Mouseketeer

If you can even get soarin
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #210
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

But now.....the same number of people will be jockeying for online attraction reservations, or.....joy.....standing in an insanely stand-by line if they don't think to make reservations (or, if they stay off-site, or are locals, whatever....at least as it is now).

Can they justify it with number crunching? I am sure they can, but it doesn't change the fact that a certain amount of traffic will be going to a certain number of attractions.

Makes no sense to me.
Yep. Just moving stuff around.

The idea is to move the FPs in a way to create more profit. Therefore, they transform a previously "free" service into a monetized one. I don't know how they plan to do that, but I bet they do.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: