Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #256
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
I really don't care about your mathematics.

You made the statement (I think it was you) "This is a downgrade for everyone". You're assuming that everyone tours that way.

It is not a downgrade for me because your scenario is not how MY family tours Disney. We hardly ever took advantage of FP because it just wasn't something we did.

NOW, we can. We can pre schedule them and show up, and ride. My family was thrilled. We got to ride Soarin', TT, TSM, Splash, BTMR etc this last week. Definitely NOT a downgrade OVERALL, for ME.

So you can try to use all the mathematics you want. It is not a downgrade for everyone.

ETA... Also I am speaking about the FP+ system as a whole. Are you only talking about after October 14th? Because that's now how I read your first statement.
I think what they are trying to say is, lets say that if you showed up at the gate at 9:00, they would give you $10. If you showed up at noon, you only got $3. Now you didn't want to show up at 9:00 and just didn't feel like it was worth the $10 so your family came at noon and only got $3. With the new system is like Disney is saying, everyone can have $5 no matter when you show up. So since you didn't want to show up until noon, you end up getting more. But the point she is making is you always had the chance to get the $10. Disney was not taking that chance away from you. It was your choice. Now Disney has taken that from you weather you used the option or not. True it is better for you because you didn't like to be there until noon but that doesn't mean that Disney didn't take your chance of getting $10 from you.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #257
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,255

clsteve, can I ask you to give an opinion about the Disney MDE site? Do you think the functionality of it is any good? Do you like the user interface? Do you think they have built up enough infrastructure to handle what is coming at the end of the month (Holiday crowds)? (I find the site slow, so I can only imagine what will happen while trying to use Disney wifi while in the parks with 80,000 other people).
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #258
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
We'll definitely do Universal when my kids are older, I'm sure. Right now at 4 and 6 and not fans of loud noises it'll have to wait.
Your kids are really prime age to do Seussland though. I'm so glad I got my daughter there when she was little. I want to go back, but really enjoyed doing it with her at age 4.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #259
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran
 
rebbyparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 854

Quote:
I think what they are trying to say is, lets say that if you showed up at the gate at 9:00, they would give you $10. If you showed up at noon, you only got $3. Now you didn't want to show up at 9:00 and just didn't feel like it was worth the $10 so your family came at noon and only got $3. With the new system is like Disney is saying, everyone can have $5 no matter when you show up. So since you didn't want to show up until noon, you end up getting more. But the point she is making is you always had the chance to get the $10. Disney was not taking that chance away from you. It was your choice. Now Disney has taken that from you weather you used the option or not. True it is better for you because you didn't like to be there until noon but that doesn't mean that Disney didn't take your chance of getting $10 from you.
Excellent!
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #260
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.
 
Mad Hattered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Down in a Hole
Posts: 4,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
Mad, excuse me for asking, as I've not been to universal in years.. With pricing relatively cheap for the passes,
1. Is it massively used?
2. What are the affects to the fp lines? I have it in my head that if it's a commonality that line becomes relatively another standby?
The unlimited ride passes are more expensive than the "each attraction" once ones which are the prices I quoted.

The FP lines move very quickly at Universal, at least in my experience. I have never been during Holiday seasons so I can't really give any accurate detail on that. They stand outside the entrance and shoot the barcode with a scanner which moves you through pretty quickly. It appears to be a much smoother process than the MB offers. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney takes that approach eventually.

Don't get me wrong. The people in standby still give you dirty looks just like you get at Disney for using FP.
__________________
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #261
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!
 
AmyB2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
But, if you're not riding a headliner you would have otherwise ridden, that's a downgrade regardless of how you spin it.
Not if when I used to go I never hit headliner rides. Which is what would happen. We are late risers and get there at noon. Forget TSM, that was never a possibility. TT, Soarin', and the others... if paper FPs were left, we'd take advantage, but you can still do that now.

So with FP+ I can schedule stuff in advance and know that I will be able to do them.

Making the statement that it is a downgrade for everyone (because that is how you feel regarding your own experience) is just as silly as if I were to say it is an upgrade for everyone, because that's how I feel regarding my experience.

But whichever. I know it's great for me and that's really all that matters.
__________________

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #262
MickeyOCD
Mouseketeer
 
MickeyOCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa, IL
Posts: 353

Dies anybody else see this a harkening back to the old days (70's) when you got a ticket book (E ticket, etc) and you used it for whatever level of ride you wanted. Of course you paid for the book, now we're paying an entrance fee & we're getting ride restrictions (at least FP restrictions)
__________________
Linda

1st cruise Sept 12, 2009; Last Call for Tortola
DVC members since 1998
Linda ; Ron ; Hanna (8) ; and Matthew (5)
MickeyOCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #263
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieGVB View Post
Sorry - it was coming from my signature...which I've had for a couple of years now... I've removed it.
Thanks for removing it, now I can finally read page 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beffiegirl View Post
Well, I just changed my FP+ times in Epcot on MDE this morning.(before I saw this thread) and it allowed me with no problems. Though I only changed Test track and Mission space. I kept Soarin the same time. It didn't say anything about the new rules. I hope my FP+ times stay right where they are!!
For now it is only affecting you if you try to book the whole day over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
I really don't care about your mathematics.

You made the statement (I think it was you) "This is a downgrade for everyone". You're assuming that everyone tours that way.

It is not a downgrade for me because your scenario is not how MY family tours Disney. We hardly ever took advantage of FP because it just wasn't something we did.

NOW, we can. We can pre schedule them and show up, and ride. My family was thrilled. We got to ride Soarin', TT, TSM, Splash, BTMR etc this last week. Definitely NOT a downgrade OVERALL, for ME.

So you can try to use all the mathematics you want. It is not a downgrade for everyone.

ETA... Also I am speaking about the FP+ system as a whole. Are you only talking about after October 14th? Because that's now how I read your first statement.

Regardless, I'm happy with even one headliner scheduled vs nothing.
I think the person was saying that the new FP+ has been downgraded for everyone, you used to be able to get 3 headliners at Epcot and now you can't. Since the ones listed in the top tier are the only ones you usually need FP for it is definitely a downgrade from the way FP+ worked for you. They weren't claiming that FP+ was a downgrade overall, just that the new version of FP+ is a downgrade from the version you experienced. Scheduling 1 is better than scheduling none as you say, but scheduling 3 like you got to do is better than scheduling 1 like newer guests have to do. It is indeed a downgrade no matter how you spin it.
__________________
Sheilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #264
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyOCD View Post
Dies anybody else see this a harkening back to the old days (70's) when you got a ticket book (E ticket, etc) and you used it for whatever level of ride you wanted. Of course you paid for the book, now we're paying an entrance fee & we're getting ride restrictions (at least FP restrictions)
Yep. That's exactly how I see it. And I think they're hoping you just forget that you are paying all-access pricing and are still willing to ante up some more to add some extra FP options (pure speculation there).
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #265
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!
 
AmyB2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
True it is better for you because you didn't like to be there until noon but that doesn't mean that Disney didn't take your chance of getting $10 from you.
But you confirm what I'm saying right there!! LOL It is better for me. I get it isn't for everyone. And if they took my "chance" of something I never took advantage of anyway, away... I don't care. I'll gladly give up what I never took advantage of to get something better in return.

Listen.... I really didn't want to argue about this LOL Ok, yes I did, but... Making blanket statements of any kind is never a good idea, because there are always going to be situations where it doesn't apply. Saying it is a downgrade for everyone simply isn't true. That is all I'm sayin'.
__________________

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #266
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize
 
BayouMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Paradis, La.
Posts: 3,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
The unlimited ride passes are more expensive than the "each attraction" once ones which are the prices I quoted.

The FP lines move very quickly at Universal, at least in my experience. I have never been during Holiday seasons so I can't really give any accurate detail on that. They stand outside the entrance and shoot the barcode with a scanner which moves you through pretty quickly. It appears to be a much smoother process than the MB offers. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney takes that approach eventually.

Don't get me wrong. The people in standby still give you dirty looks just like you get at Disney for using FP.
Still even it just being once an attraction, relatively cheap. Only if my family were into anything at universal.. My girls are full blown princesses and Mickey.. maybe when they are older..
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #267
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,867

Whether it is a "downgrade for everyone" is a matter of definition...it is a downgrade on your *ability* to make selections. Whether you *wanted* to make those selections is another matter. But it can still be said to be a downgrade.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #268
MichaelaF
Mouseketeer
 
MichaelaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 408



(Am I the only one who thinks that both Soarin and TT are overrated?)

On topic, this is a definite bummer, no matter which rides are included. It won't ruin my trips, but just a bummer if it continues.
__________________
Michaela


Nov 2014 - Fort Wilderness
March 2014 - Disneyland Off-site
Oct 2013 - Fort Wilderness and Villas at Wilderness Lodge
1994 - Polynesian Resort - Concierge and Magic Kingdom View
1992 - Polynesian Resort
1984 - Disneyland
MichaelaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #269
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now
 
surferdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
Making blanket statements of any kind is never a good idea, because there are always going to be situations where it doesn't apply.
__________________
surferdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #270
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,255

AmyB2006, what if your family wanted to do TT, MS, and Soarin' all in a day with you arriving at noon. Prior to today you could do that. Now you can't. How is that not a downgrade?

And you are not allowed to just say, "I would never ride those two in the same day" because now that option to do those two has been taken away from you. It's gone. No option at all to be able to do that now.
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.