Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #241
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
It is NOT a downgrade for everyone. Just because it is for you doesn't mean it is for me. And just because I think it's an upgrade for me doesn't mean it is for you.

I LOVED our FP+ experience this last week. I got to ride TSM for the first time in 5 years. Go me!
Mathematically speaking, IT IS. On a given day at Epcot (prior to Oct. 14), you could get FPs for TT and Soarin' in addition to attractions like Mission: SPACE. Now, you only get one headliner. So, there's a net LOSS of a min. of one FP for a headliner. I've also tested this system and can say that the test enviornment has greatly changed over the last couple weeks with changes in FP distribution ratios and now, more importantly, headliner FP+s restrictions. Go math and reasoning!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #242
CookieGVB
S/D Cheerleader & SSB Tormentor
Would go to the Copacabana with Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
first, yes I got the malware warning too.

next, but we don't know that, which has been my point all along.. why fret over something we as of now, today, this second, we know nothing about?

finally, No, I'm not biased at all, the fact that I don't use them doesn't mean I don't advocate them. It's just a matter of it's not a factor that we must use them.
Sorry - it was coming from my signature...which I've had for a couple of years now... I've removed it.
CookieGVB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #243
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I don't think it's a huge deal right now. Wait and see, be patient. Stuff like that.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #244
beffiegirl
Earning My Ears

Well, I just changed my FP+ times in Epcot on MDE this morning.(before I saw this thread) and it allowed me with no problems. Though I only changed Test track and Mission space. I kept Soarin the same time. It didn't say anything about the new rules. I hope my FP+ times stay right where they are!!
beffiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #245
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Mathematically speaking, IT IS. On a given day at Epcot (prior to Oct. 14), you could get FPs for TT and Soarin' in addition to attractions like Mission: SPACE. Now, you only get one headliner. So, there's a net LOSS of a min. of one FP for a headliner. I've also tested this system and can say that the test enviornment has greatly changed over the last couple weeks with changes in FP distribution ratios and now, more importantly, headliner FP+s restrictions. Go math and reasoning!
I really don't care about your mathematics.

You made the statement (I think it was you) "This is a downgrade for everyone". You're assuming that everyone tours that way.

It is not a downgrade for me because your scenario is not how MY family tours Disney. We hardly ever took advantage of FP because it just wasn't something we did.

NOW, we can. We can pre schedule them and show up, and ride. My family was thrilled. We got to ride Soarin', TT, TSM, Splash, BTMR etc this last week. Definitely NOT a downgrade OVERALL, for ME.

So you can try to use all the mathematics you want. It is not a downgrade for everyone.

ETA... Also I am speaking about the FP+ system as a whole. Are you only talking about after October 14th? Because that's now how I read your first statement.

Regardless, I'm happy with even one headliner scheduled vs nothing.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #246
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Got it.

Now question... how much money are these said express passes for off site guests? Right now, FP and FP+ are "free" or included with admission.
It depends on the time of year you go. During slow times you can purchase them for $20. In peak season they go as high as $120 during Christmas season. It could be anywhere between those two prices based on perceived crowds.

At least they gave SDMT a 25 day head start...
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #247
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
NOW, we can. We can pre schedule them and show up, and ride. My family was thrilled. We got to ride Soarin', TT, TSM, Splash, BTMR etc this last week. Definitely NOT a downgrade OVERALL, for ME.
Well, as of now with this system, one can assume that you won't be riding both TT and Soarin' by just showing up; you'll have to choose one and wait in line for the other unless you arrive at RD.

If this works for you, great, but you're not the only one who visits a Disney Park.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 11-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #248
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
It depends on the time of year you go. During slow times you can purchase them for $20. In peak season they go as high as $75. It could be anywhere between those two prices based on perceived crowds.
That's a per day price?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #249
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Unfortunate

Well, I had been on the fence about FP+ and it's potential impact on my upcoming trip- now I'm not. I see the potential of the system, understand the why, but am shocked at the rollout.

Last year, we spent 8 wonderful days with Disney at the Boardwalk Villas last December 1st, did RD, had a specific touring plan for each park and had an amazing time.

I have to be in Orlando for a conference mid-Jan and had 5 nights at the Yacht Club booked through the Convention. But, since the Convention will not confirm all of the rooms with Disney until the 30 day mark, I will be unable to link tickets with the room until 30 days prior to arrival- putting me way behind on reserving FP's with the new sys. I have 2 pre-teen DS's, so riding the headliners as much as possible is a must.

Unfortunately, I have now cancelled and moved my stay to Portofino Bay, the Darkside and Universal Express. With me spending mornings at the conference and meeting up with them in the afternoons, I won't put them through the stress between now and then not knowing what type of vacation to expect.

Don't get me wrong, we love Disney and will (most likely) come back. But, I will not spend $5,000+ to be a guinea pig during this test.

Some background, I am a recently retired Director of R&D of a major product line for one of the big 5 software companies and I'm astounded by the lack of info coming from Disney. Having done scores of major implementations in the Fortune 500, there is no excuse for this. Without getting too deep for those who don't have experience in this, Disney knows exactly, down to the task-level, what functionality they expect, when it will be delivered, when it will be tested, and who it will affect. They have to since I would seriously doubt they are doing the majority of the development.

Contrary to popular belief, Very few (if any) major companies do their own software development anymore- it's too expensive to keep large numbers of developers on staff unless that is 60%+ of your business model. Accenture, EDS, Infosys (mostly India-based), etc., contract to the Fortune 500 to provide that- meaning there are incredibly detailed contracts in place with very specific change control/order methodology.

Sorry for the long rant, but this specific type of implementation and development has been my life for 20+ years, I've seen it done well many times and many places, but this is professionally unacceptable. Information is key and would stem all of the speculation- both for and against.

If I offended anyone- I apologize in advance.
clsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #250
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Well, as of now with this system, one can assume that you won't be riding both TT and Soarin' by just showing up; you'll have to choose one and wait in line for the other unless you arrive at RD.

If this works for you, great, but you're not the only one who visits a Disney Park.
LOL, yes I get that. Actually I'll ride the one I scheduled, and probably skip the other one. But that's neither here nor there.

Of course I'm not the only one, but I am at least one, and that's why this isn't a downgrade for everyone, overall. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. Just seems like that here because I'm the only one with the opposing "voice" right now. Well and Bayou Mickey

Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #251
LvsTnk
Disney Crazy

Quote:
It depends on the time of year you go. During slow times you can purchase them for $20. In peak season they go as high as $75. It could be anywhere between those two prices based on perceived crowds.
Can you hop with this or would you need to buy one for each park?

LvsTnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #252
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Mad, excuse me for asking, as I've not been to universal in years.. With pricing relatively cheap for the passes,
1. Is it massively used?
2. What are the affects to the fp lines? I have it in my head that if it's a commonality that line becomes relatively another standby?
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #253
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
That's a per day price?
Yep. That's why staying onsite at their awesome hotels is such a good deal.

At least they gave SDMT a 25 day head start...
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #254
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL, yes I get that. Actually I'll ride the one I scheduled, and probably skip the other one. But that's neither here nor there.

Of course I'm not the only one, but I am at least one, and that's why this isn't a downgrade for everyone, overall. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. Just seems like that here because I'm the only one with the opposing "voice" right now. Well and Bayou Mickey
But, if you're not riding a headliner you would have otherwise ridden, that's a downgrade regardless of how you spin it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvsTnk View Post
Can you hop with this or would you need to buy one for each park?
There's an extra fee for hopping.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #255
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Yep. That's why staying onsite at their awesome hotels is such a good deal.
We'll definitely do Universal when my kids are older, I'm sure. Right now at 4 and 6 and not fans of loud noises it'll have to wait.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: