Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

OFF SITE GUESTS, December 18 or later, READ THIS

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagi...al-kingdom.htm

(I know there's a DISBoard discussion thread about this, but unsuspecting guests visiting Animal Kingdom on December 18 or later may not wade through it to get to this link. Seems only fair to warn as many as possible of what they will be facing: "At rope drop, do I head to Everest, the Safari, or a FP+ kiosk?")

Update, December 21, 2013:
FP+ ONLY continues at Animal Kingdom. Has been this way ever since December 18 (no paper Fast Passes for all guests, both onsite and offsite). Offsite cannot book FP+ in advance. Can only do it at FP+ kiosks in park.

Other 3 parks still have paper FPs.

Last edited by g-dad66; 12-21-2013 at 11:45 AM.
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
ExBellhop
Vice President of Spider-Man

I'd skip FP+ entirely, and go pick off my 3 favorite headliners while everyone else is standing in a 90-minute kiosk line.

Obviously tongue-in-cheek, but I probably will not stop laughing if this is what works when we're there the morning of the 31st...

No trips scheduled at this time. Watch this space for new details soon!

ExBellhop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBellhop View Post
I'd skip FP+ entirely, and go pick off my 3 favorite headliners while everyone else is standing in a 90-minute kiosk line.

Obviously tongue-in-cheek, but I probably will not stop laughing if this is what works when we're there the morning of the 31st...
Yep, yep, agreed. Two weeks before Christmas, the highest crowd level ever and this is what they come up with. Sigh.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBellhop View Post

In all seriousness, this may actually be a good strategy.
Personally, I'd be there well before opening and high tail it to the safaris once let in. Then I'd head to EE and see what the wait is. If it's not bad, I'd jump in line.
Then I'd visit the kiosks. The article says there is one at EE and one at KRR so they would be nearby. Unless the lines are atrocious, in which case I'd keep touring for a while longer.
If you've already done the two biggies, it won't matter as much what you're FP+ is for.

Just my opinion, others may know better. The whole thing is pretty ridiculous.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
In all seriousness, this may actually be a good strategy.
Personally, I'd be there well before opening and high tail it to the safaris once let in. Then I'd head to EE and see what the wait is. If it's not bad, I'd jump in line.
Then I'd visit the kiosks. The article says there is one at EE and one at KRR so they would be nearby. Unless the lines are atrocious, in which case I'd keep touring for a while longer.
If you've already done the two biggies, it won't matter as much what you're FP+ is for.

Just my opinion, others may know better. The whole thing is pretty ridiculous.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
DisneyMountainWoman
Mouseketeer

What a mess...

Universal and Disneyland are looking better and better.

I mean what can go wrong with 1,000 plus people all trying to go on the glitchy fp+ system at the same time....

That is assuming they have any fp+ for headliners and it has not already been picked over. At least with the system they had in place for off site guests for the last few months we had a fighting chancing of getting fp- for headliners as long as we were there for rope drop. Now if they do not save some fp+ for the day of people we will have no chance....

Again I am loving Disneyland more and more....
DisneyMountainWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMountainWoman View Post
Universal and Disneyland are looking better and better.

I mean what can go wrong with 1,000 plus people all trying to go on the glitchy fp+ system at the same time....

That is assuming they have any fp+ for headliners and it has not already been picked over. At least with the system they had in place for off site guests for the last few months we had a fighting chancing of getting fp- for headliners as long as we were there for rope drop. Now if they do not save some fp+ for the day of people we will have no chance....

Again I am loving Disneyland more and more....
Agreed. I said in another post, Universal, right now, is where Disney was in it's infancy. They're new, they're expanding (and expanding the RIGHT things) and their customer service is impeccable. They don't have the crowd level problems yet. I'm thinking that with the new attractions opening, this is probably the best time to visit.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
sixxmum
Mouseketeer

Thank you. I think this is going to be a mess, but they didn't ask me

August 1977 (with Parents) - Fort Wilderness campground
January 2002 - Old Key West
January 2005 - Off site at Westgate
January 2007 - Off site at Vistana
January 2008 - Off site at Vistana
January 2010 - Off site at Vistana
January 2012 - Off site at Vistana
January 2014 - Off site at Vistana
Next trip! - January 2015 - Off site at Vistana
For blog posts about feeding a vegan or multivore family (at WDW and otherwise), visit me at http://theveganasana.com
sixxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxmum View Post
Thank you. I think this is going to be a mess, but they didn't ask me
Me either.

Which brings up another point. Did anyone in power, at any time, before this mess started, ask ANY guest anywhere, whether this was feasible or not? Whether this would be a "magical" guest experience? Do a little preliminary data gathering before they jumped right into this? I wonder.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Protip: Sign up for a MyDisneyExperience login NOW so you don't have to do it at the park if you don't have one.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbyparker View Post
Agreed. I said in another post, Universal, right now, is where Disney was in it's infancy. They're new, they're expanding (and expanding the RIGHT things) and their customer service is impeccable. They don't have the crowd level problems yet. I'm thinking that with the new attractions opening, this is probably the best time to visit.
I promise I'm not following you around picking on you, but you cannot be serious. Universal does have crowd problems. My daughter and I were at Universal two years ago in May. We didn't stay at a Universal hotel, but I'd bought a 2 day base pass through Costco. We ended up only using one day of it, so Universal very kindly agreed to convert our passes to a one day park-to-park ticket with the express pass. This meant that we were able to use the express line on each attraction except for Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey, once. It made all the difference. But on-site guests have unlimited express access (they can use the express line as many times as they want) and they get admitted to Harry Potter land one hour before park opening (like EMH). But all guests ride Harry Potter FJ standby because there is no express line. Universal's distribution method has been widely criticized because it's heavily weighted toward Universal hotel guests and/or highly monetized. Had my daughter and I not had the express passes, it would have been miserable. And this was on a weekday in early May.

So, although I do like Universal, especially for its commitment to improving its attractions and park experience, I'm not sure one can say it doesn't have crowd problems or laud it for its line distribution system.
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt View Post
I promise I'm not following you around picking on you, but you cannot be serious. Universal does have crowd problems. My daughter and I were at Universal two years ago in May. We didn't stay at a Universal hotel, but I'd bought a 2 day base pass through Costco. We ended up only using one day of it, so Universal very kindly agreed to convert our passes to a one day park-to-park ticket with the express pass. This meant that we were able to use the express line on each attraction except for Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey, once. It made all the difference. But on-site guests have unlimited express access (they can use the express line as many times as they want) and they get admitted to Harry Potter land one hour before park opening (like EMH). But all guests ride Harry Potter FJ standby because there is no express line. Universal's distribution method has been widely criticized because it's heavily weighted toward Universal hotel guests and/or highly monetized. Had my daughter and I not had the express passes, it would have been miserable. And this was on a weekday in early May.

So, although I do like Universal, especially for its commitment to improving its attractions and park experience, I'm not sure one can say it doesn't have crowd problems or laud it for its line distribution system.
Keep in mind that you are only looking at 3 resorts at Universal. It's nothing like the massive number of onsite guests all trying to reserve FP+ for a handful of rides at WDW.

We normally go in August and have little trouble touring Universal without Express. We go at rope drop, ride the popular rides first and devote a complete day to each park so that they each get a rope drop. It works well but I'm ever mindful that Express is available if everything gets too backed up.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt

No. Not in any way do crowds at Universal compare to Disney crowds. There were numbers posted a month or so back comparing the two, you can look it up. Universal may need some upgrades on line arrangement, that's subjective and I don't have a problem with the way it is. But Universal is just starting this race and thus far, they've been doing it right, focusing on attraction and dining expansion rather than resorts. That may change, but so far I would compare Universal NOW to what Disney was THEN.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

Is this the way Disney is going for off-site guests, or still part of the test? Meaning, they're setting up the perk of advance booking for on-site guests up to 60 days out and then making off-site guests scramble at the parks?
dwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheaton View Post
Is this the way Disney is going for off-site guests, or still part of the test? Meaning, they're setting up the perk of advance booking for on-site guests up to 60 days out and then making off-site guests scramble at the parks?
No one really knows for sure. That's part of the fun.
KatieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: