Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #61
JMW123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll buster View Post
Exactly! These are the same people who would be first in line to sue if their child was injured.
I would love to see the data that led to this statement. I am assuming you have this data, otherwise, this statement really seem to fit wiki's definition for...

internet troll
Web definitions

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
JMW123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #62
Dawn Dis
Mouseketeer

Speaking of height requirements here's a question. My 4 yr old is 39 7/8 inches tall bare feet. With shoes she's just over 40 inches. We were at a local amusement park and she didn't make the 40 inch requirement ( bogus) Anyone know how Disney world runs? Are they pretty precise or will she have a problem getting on 40 inch rides. By sept. She might be there without shoes, but i m worried they are as accurate as Knoebels.
Thanks for your response
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #63
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

They are very precise. Your child will be measured twice, once at the beginning of the queue and once just before boarding. Even if your child makes the first cut, they can still be turned away at the second.

If the CM can pass a piece of paper between your child's head and the top of the measure, they will turn the child away.

Practice with your child now on how to get measured. Have him or her stand up straight (but not on tippytoes). Go to the big rides early in the day as throughout the day our spines compress and thus, everyone stands taller first thing in the morning.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #64
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Dis View Post
Speaking of height requirements here's a question. My 4 yr old is 39 7/8 inches tall bare feet. With shoes she's just over 40 inches. We were at a local amusement park and she didn't make the 40 inch requirement ( bogus) Anyone know how Disney world runs? Are they pretty precise or will she have a problem getting on 40 inch rides. By sept. She might be there without shoes, but i m worried they are as accurate as Knoebels.
Thanks for your response
Aim to try for the rides that require 40'' first thing in the morning, that is when we are at our tallest. Prepare her that even if she gets to ride once, she may not be allowed on again (height fluctuates during the day, usually your back compresses and we are shorter at the end of the day)

Also, teach her how to stand up tall. How to mentally reach to hit the bar (without lifting her feet). Have her practice against the wall and have her stretch her neck up and straighten her back, etc. Some kids naturally slouch and some do it because they dont fully understand that they have to actually touch the bar.

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports
Altoqueenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #65
Dawn Dis
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #66
MuddyTires
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post

First, you will be scolded

1) How dare you
2) It's for your child's safety you monster
Check!
MuddyTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #67
mare1203
Mouseketeer

To answer a PP's question about how often the sticks are measured. Every. single. day. It is a check box on the opening checklist for any ride that has measuring sticks.

CM's get pretty good at judging who does and doesn't meet the height requirement. Most CM's will do their best to get the child to stand up straight, but it is up to the parent to get them to do so (CM's are told not to touch kids, but this is not something that many CM's follow strictly as some parents welcome the help and many CM's do want to measure correctly). If a piece of paper can get through then yes, your child is unfortunately too short to ride.

When I worked at DAK we were told that hats had to come off and hair didn't count, but shoes did not. I can see the policy changing a bit because some girls come in big wedges and cowboy boots can add a bunch of height. Either way, it would be very rare for a kid to be asked to remove their shoes.
mare1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #68
Maggie Lizer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl View Post
They are very precise. Your child will be measured twice, once at the beginning of the queue and once just before boarding. Even if your child makes the first cut, they can still be turned away at the second.
Actually, the child MAY be measured twice. My son was just a tad over 40" and we were measured at the queue entrance for BTMRR and Soarin'* but not at boarding. We cleared the height requirement by only 1/2 or 1 inch, so I was prepared for him to be double-checked, but it didn't happen.

* Those were the only 2 height requirement rides he wanted to go on (except that Goofy rollercoaster, which he clearly was tall enough for).

First trip with DS2 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Maggie Lizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #69
Dawn Dis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Lizer

Actually, the child MAY be measured twice. My son was just a tad over 40" and we were measured at the queue entrance for BTMRR and Soarin'* but not at boarding. We cleared the height requirement by only 1/2 or 1 inch, so I was prepared for him to be double-checked, but it didn't happen.

* Those were the only 2 height requirement rides he wanted to go on (except that Goofy rollercoaster, which he clearly was tall enough for).
Thanks I measured her today and she's over 40 inches with shoes on so we should be ok. I just know that some places they actually overestimate the height mark for it to be 40 1/2or sometimes even 41 . my question was really does Disney World overestimate or is the height requirement bar actually at 40 inches
Old 07-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #70
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Dis View Post
Thanks I measured her today and she's over 40 inches with shoes on so we should be ok. I just know that some places they actually overestimate the height mark for it to be 40 1/2or sometimes even 41 . my question was really does Disney World overestimate or is the height requirement bar actually at 40 inches
You should be fine. AFAIK they are as accurate as a measuring stick can be and are not intentionally skewed.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #71
BuzzinDownToDisney
DIS Veteran

As someone who has stalked every height requirement thread on this board (DS is 37.4 and has seen that damn Mine Train commercial a million times) I can say from the experiences shared, meeting the height requirement is not enough, and you need a little more. One poster even had her pediatrician's summary of her son's annual checkup stating he was 40' and GS still denied him. Do whatever you can to get that extra half inch, despite what the Tsk Tsk Tsk crowd says, your kid won't be decapitated on Splash Mountain.

Contemporary: '82 & '86
Caribbean Beach Resort 2000 & 2004
Bay Lake Towers: 2014 Summer
Contemporary: 2014 Last minute Christmas Trip
BuzzinDownToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #72
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinDownToDisney View Post
As someone who has stalked every height requirement thread on this board (DS is 37.4 and has seen that damn Mine Train commercial a million times) I can say from the experiences shared, meeting the height requirement is not enough, and you need a little more. One poster even had her pediatrician's summary of her son's annual checkup stating he was 40' and GS still denied him. Do whatever you can to get that extra half inch, despite what the Tsk Tsk Tsk crowd says, your kid won't be decapitated on Splash Mountain.
I know you're not making it, but I never understand this argument--that pediatricians are the last word at measuring a child's height. Do they have super-special measuring sticks or something? Do they take a class for it?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #73
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I know you're not making it, but I never understand this argument--that pediatricians are the last word at measuring a child's height. Do they have super-special measuring sticks or something? Do they take a class for it?

Additionally, in this digital age, Disney will never take something on a piece of paper as certification of anything. Especially when they have a measuring stick right there.

I'm not saying the PP did this, but there are many out there who would, and that's why Disney won't take it.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #74
BuzzinDownToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post

Don't know if they are super special, but those classic height/weight scales are federally inspected for accuracy at the factory level (in theory, I have no clue if those inspections actually happen)

Contemporary: '82 & '86
Caribbean Beach Resort 2000 & 2004
Bay Lake Towers: 2014 Summer
Contemporary: 2014 Last minute Christmas Trip
BuzzinDownToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #75
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinDownToDisney View Post
Don't know if they are super special, but those classic height/weight scales are federally inspected for accuracy at the factory level (in theory, I have no clue if those inspections actually happen)
Oooh. The federal government is involved so it must be better.

Do the feds have super-special calibration equipment or something? Are they cracking down on the fly-by-night, elixir-producing, fake-measuring-stick quack doctor industry? Is that why my taxes are so high?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: