Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #106
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Glad you got to see a little more of Norway than just DD's princess pals! Not that they aren't great, though

Love, love, love that first shot you posted from China! That pavilion is so colorful and I love those umbrellas. I always want to buy one but I've got no clue what to do with it at home

What is the picture with the light up flowers? Is that something in a gift shop? Or just the store lighting? Either way I really like it! Makes a very warm, sort of welcoming shot.

If I'm remembering right, you've been so South Korea, yes? If I don't have my geography mixed up, how did the booth compare to the real deal?

Great shot of the sidewalk art! I'd love to catch that in person one trip!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #107
SunDial
Where Are The Umbrella Hats

Awesome pictures Dave. I have been busy with life priorities for the past week so I am finally getting time to catch up on your trip.

Do you use a fixed or variable ND filter for the long exposure shots. Not long ago I picked up a variable ND filter but have not had the time to really take pics around the parks with it. Once time becomes available I will be taking quite a few photo trips.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #108
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Just got caught up on your post from the DHS event. It looks like they really went all out. It's nice that you were able to get in some short waits for attractions and some beautiful nighttime shots that probably wouldn't have been doable on a regular park closing night. I had to laugh at the CM sneaking up on you to see what camera settings you were using. It would have been funnier only if it was a ToT CM intentionally trying to scare the crap out of you.

More great shots in Norway! Toting kids along makes it difficult to really enjoy the WS pavilions. I have definitely felt that! And it doesn't help than Epcot is not one of our favorite parks, so even when we were on adults-only trips, we didn't plan enough time there to really explore. So for that reason, I look forward to more of your WS posts & photos!

I totally have to agree on Maelstrom. I love that ride, but I don't know that it makes me want to run out and book a trip to Norway anytime soon. Apparently, not only could a troll push me over a waterfall, I could also encounter polar bears on attack or be locked in a theater and forced to watch a movie about their country.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #109
chattadisser
Mouseketeer

Awesome pictures as always!

I love the ones from China, those lights are so pretty. We've never spent too much time in there.

The thing about Maelstrom that is always odd to me, you're enjoying the ride and then BOOM! Done, over and get out of the boat! Oh and by the way...you can watch our movie.. It all seems so disjointed.

chattadisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #110
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Well, turned out I ran out of steam, time, and stomach space

Quote:
Speaking of neglect, I went on Maelstrom for the first time ever. My impression at the end of the ride can be described as utter confusion and puzzlement.
As a fan of said attraction, I have to say...

you make a very good point...

Quote:
Was the purpose of the boat ride to attract or repel more tourists to Norway? I actually really do want to visit this beautiful Scandinavian country but after that ride I had a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. If I was a child, I would be staying the heck away from the lands of ghostly Vikings and hungover trolls.
And another good point.

Quote:
Seriously, look how blood shot that eye is!
Cool picture!

Quote:
Taking these pictures I could almost pretend that I was strolling through a quaint little rural Norwegian village. Of course suddenly running into a Chinese umbrella can bring that daydream to an abrupt halt!
Talk about a culture shock...

Quote:
These giraffe pictures came out a whole lot better than the one from my safari at AK! It helps that these donít really move.
I bet you could get better lion pictures there too...
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #111
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
You captured the light from the eye on Malestrom perfectly. I'm usually so blinded by it that I can't see the face. I like this ride but my hubby says that it's like a bad troll dream. I do agree that when you think about the creatures it is not too endearing to children. Except for the giant troll in the dump shop where 91.8% of all the kids and adults stick their finger in the trolls nose. I speak from experience.

Perhaps the South Korean food booth was piloting the exchange CM program with another non-Asian country? Just to mix it up a little you know since Rob had a hard time finding an authentic German CM for his CM around the world (insert trademark) tour. It could happen.
Hmmm. An exchange program within World Showcase. I think you're on to something Brenda!

I like that description of Maelstrom. A Bad Troll Dream. And that troll in the gift shop is just asking to get his nose picked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Love, love, love that first shot you posted from China! That pavilion is so colorful and I love those umbrellas. I always want to buy one but I've got no clue what to do with it at home

What is the picture with the light up flowers? Is that something in a gift shop? Or just the store lighting? Either way I really like it! Makes a very warm, sort of welcoming shot.

If I'm remembering right, you've been so South Korea, yes? If I don't have my geography mixed up, how did the booth compare to the real deal?

Great shot of the sidewalk art! I'd love to catch that in person one trip!
I had the same thought about the umbrellas. What everyday use would they have once I brought it home?

The lit up flowers were for sale and they were part of the collection of lighting decorations.

I have to say that the overall look of the South Korea kiosk itself was pretty spot on even if the food wasn't. Yep, you memory is correct. We visited Korea over the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDial View Post
Do you use a fixed or variable ND filter for the long exposure shots. Not long ago I picked up a variable ND filter but have not had the time to really take pics around the parks with it. Once time becomes available I will be taking quite a few photo trips.
I actually haven't gotten around to investing in a ND filter mostly out of laziness. The long exposure shots were done without a ND filter. I really need one though for my daytime long exposures. I tried it a couple of times without it and nearly blinded myself when I pulled up the image on my laptop from the overexposed whiteout images!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Just got caught up on your post from the DHS event. It looks like they really went all out. It's nice that you were able to get in some short waits for attractions and some beautiful nighttime shots that probably wouldn't have been doable on a regular park closing night. I had to laugh at the CM sneaking up on you to see what camera settings you were using. It would have been funnier only if it was a ToT CM intentionally trying to scare the crap out of you.

More great shots in Norway! Toting kids along makes it difficult to really enjoy the WS pavilions. I have definitely felt that! And it doesn't help than Epcot is not one of our favorite parks, so even when we were on adults-only trips, we didn't plan enough time there to really explore. So for that reason, I look forward to more of your WS posts & photos!

I totally have to agree on Maelstrom. I love that ride, but I don't know that it makes me want to run out and book a trip to Norway anytime soon. Apparently, not only could a troll push me over a waterfall, I could also encounter polar bears on attack or be locked in a theater and forced to watch a movie about their country.
Yeah, that CM snuck up on me as well as a ToT CM!

Ooooh. I forgot about the polar bear. I don't know why I don't have a picture of that. Maybe I was so disoriented by the ride that I missed a lot of photo opportunities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
Awesome pictures as always!

I love the ones from China, those lights are so pretty. We've never spent too much time in there.

The thing about Maelstrom that is always odd to me, you're enjoying the ride and then BOOM! Done, over and get out of the boat! Oh and by the way...you can watch our movie.. It all seems so disjointed.
Thanks! That was my first time in the China gift shop as well. I did notice how the ride seem to come to an end without much warning. I was a little surprised it was over already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

As a fan of said attraction, I have to say...

you make a very good point...

And another good point.

Cool picture!

Talk about a culture shock...

I bet you could get better lion pictures there too...
Thanks Andy!

Hmmmm. Now that you mention it I probably could have gotten all of my safari pictures there at the outpost and called it a day!

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #112
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I originally had an ambitious plan of touring the World Showcase and spending a considerable amount at each country while sampling each of the Food+Wine kiosks. Well, turned out I ran out of steam, time, and stomach space near the end of my trip to do so. So big apologies to Japan, Morocco, UK, France, and Canada. Nothing personal. I just happened to start on the other side of the Showcase and worked my way clockwise and your countries just happen to be on the wrong side of the clock.
This is why when I finally get to F&W I will need a buddy (or two...three....) to share everything with! We ate around the world once and by Italy we were done by Italy... There was 4 of us.... All very hungry adults...

Quote:
First stop was Norway! Nope didnít forget about Mexico and thatís coming up on another post. Iím just going to put this out there right now that I have shamefully neglected the World Showcase in general during past trips. For some reason I have found it difficult to do with two young children in the past. Iím pretty sure now though that DD7 will get a lot more out of it. Anyway, my past experiences in Norway started and ended with the princess meals at Akershus. This was the first time I actually looked around.

How was it that I had never before seen this cool looking wooden carving ofÖ..ummmÖ..bird?.......no maybe a dragon? The answer: because it was tucked all the way in the back by the restroom entrances!
I get how things get neglected, I think often when you travel with munchkins you spend so much time tending to them that it is hard to take in everything around you. The details in all the countries is absolutely amazing, and I honestly have skimmed over so many, just because I am taking care of someone.

Quote:

Speaking of neglect, I went on Maelstrom for the first time ever. My impression at the end of the ride can be described as utter confusion and puzzlement. Was the purpose of the boat ride to attract or repel more tourists to Norway? I actually really do want to visit this beautiful Scandinavian country but after that ride I had a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. If I was a child, I would be staying the heck away from the lands of ghostly Vikings and hungover trolls.

Seriously, look how blood shot that eye is!

I think they miss out on a lot here... They could do some serious marketing with the Viking end of it.... Little kids - awesome helmets... wooden swords and shields.... I kinda like the trolls, but also think it would be a little much for my kiddos. They would not be fans.... And that troll needs some Rohto Eyedrops for his eyes! Doesn't he know you can pick them up at Walgreens?

Quote:

My favorite part of Norway turned out to be its exteriors and landscaping. Iíve seen this Viking warrior from pictures many times. It was still interesting to see it in person.

Then I found myself obsessed with the flowers that were lining the Norway landscape.

I love that Viking! :D I think he was who inspired us to try on the Viking hats last December!

I have heard Norway is done up very well for Flower and Garden as well... One of these days I will get there! Im actually anxiously awaiting 2015 and the point chart with DVC to see if my kids spring break will line up well with it... We have spring break in mid april up here which seems to be later than the rest of the country. I love flowers, one of the many things I miss living so far north is the lack of gardens....

Quote:

Taking these pictures I could almost pretend that I was strolling through a quaint little rural Norwegian village. Of course suddenly running into a Chinese umbrella can bring that daydream to an abrupt halt!
I have to laugh at this... You just went from one day dream to another! You were in Disney!!

Quote:

I walked around the store and found some interesting lighting products.

Not sure where this door leads to. I should have tried pulling it open.

Then I came across the South Korean Food and Wine Kiosk!

I was really looking forward to trying their pork lettuce wrap. It was good and I liked it. Hit the spot quite well as lunch time was approaching. I probably wouldnít call it authentic though but still delicious. I also chuckled to myself that there were three CMs working the kiosk and none of them Korean. In fact, none of them were even Asian!

I liked the patterns in your lighting pictures - especially the ones that where like cherry trees (maybe?) I also think you should have opened the door - if you did it innocently enough what would they do?

I actually "LOL'd" at your comment about the CMs not even being Asian! I imagine a lot of food at the festival has been Americanized to meet the taste buds of many pallets...

Quote:

The African F+W kiosk served me a Spinach Paneer pocket which was reeeeeally good. I found a nice shady spot by the curve of the walkway when a CM came up and began performing some sidewalk art. Not bad!

I love the sidewalk art! I think the first time I saw it I was so surprised. Its just a really great detail that adds to the whole Disney magic.... I can't wait to see and read more! :D
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #113
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
This is why when I finally get to F&W I will need a buddy (or two...three....) to share everything with! We ate around the world once and by Italy we were done by Italy... There was 4 of us.... All very hungry adults...

I get how things get neglected, I think often when you travel with munchkins you spend so much time tending to them that it is hard to take in everything around you. The details in all the countries is absolutely amazing, and I honestly have skimmed over so many, just because I am taking care of someone.

I have heard Norway is done up very well for Flower and Garden as well... One of these days I will get there! Im actually anxiously awaiting 2015 and the point chart with DVC to see if my kids spring break will line up well with it... We have spring break in mid april up here which seems to be later than the rest of the country. I love flowers, one of the many things I miss living so far north is the lack of gardens....
Since our kids are beginning to get older I'm going to try to make an effort to look for some of these details in the parks with them in January. I think they'll get a kick out of these. DD is now starting get a lot of the inside jokes so I bet she would really appreciate some of the little things.

Hmmm. We did visit WDW during Flower/Garden Festival a couple of years ago and I can't remember at all what Norway looked like! All I remember are the character topiaries in each country.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #114
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Look! Up in the Sky! It's a Bird! It's a.....oh wait, it is a bird!

Along with Lion King and Nemo, Flights of Wonder forms the trifecta for our family when it comes to Animal Kingdom Attractions. Itís a very well put together show. I also like to think when they wrote the script and part for Guano Joe that Disney had the foresight and a sense of satire to poke fun at the culture of tour groups. I know thatís a stretch but it makes the show extra enjoyable if I imagine that Joe is providing a tongue-in-cheek commentary when he obsesses over his tour guide flag.

Of course the stars of the show are the birds themselves and they do a great job integrating some humor into the exhibition of natural behaviors of these avian friends. If you havenít seen this yet and Iím pretty sure a good number of folks have skipped it in the past, you should at least give it a try once.

I found a seat near the center aisle once again to find a spot most optimal for my photography. The money shot I was looking for was when one of the birds swoops into a volunteer in the audience holding out a dollar bill and snatches it out of his/her hand. Not knowing who that eventual lucky person would be was making me a little anxious since I had my telezoom lens on. If the person turns out to be someone sitting right next to me thereís no way I can capture that moment.

The first part of the show was this bird flying vertically up to catch a thrown grape in midair with its beak.

IMG_9592 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I donít know where the grape is in this particular picture but the bird surely does. You'll have to take my word - the bird nailed it.

IMG_9595 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

They asked for a child volunteer from the audience to toss the second grape up and I could just picture DDís hand shooting up. Hereís the bird taking five while they figure out who the volunteer is going to be.

IMG_9602 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

My favorite bird of the show. He steals Guano Joe's tour guide flag and pole in two separate swoops. The flag is returned near the end of the show to Joe all shredded. My hero.

IMG_9605 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Hereís the parrot who shows off some its vocal skills.

IMG_9608 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Near the end they picked another kid from the audience to challenge the bird in a math competition. This boy was a very good sport about this. The bird answered the questions correctly and much faster than him. Of course it helps that the answers to all of the math questions were ďFour!Ē. The host did fess up later what the trick was. I would have been great at math too if all the answers were four.

IMG_9610 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Ah now comes the time for the dollar bird. Yeah, I still donít have an idea what the bird species name actually is. All I know is that this bird can snatch a dollar from your hand with stealth and speed rivaling the birds camped out at Flame Tree BBQ waiting for the rogue French fry to hit the ground. The host picked a volunteer from the center section and sufficiently distanced from me. Whew, disaster avoided. Funny thing was this particular volunteer was not prepared for the bit because she had to search quite a bit to locate a dollar bill. I was not as successful getting a clear and well-focused photo of the bird taking the bill but I was able to get one when the bird returned the money.

IMG_9627 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9632 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

They demonstrate a few more birds swooping and buzzing by the audienceís head. For this owlís portion of the show the host asked for a volunteer with a camera. Yeah, no way am I going up on the stage with my comically gigantic camera lens and risking a collision with an owl. I was perfectly happy trying to capture the image from the audience.

Look out! He's coming straight for me!

IMG_9642 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Seriously, if I were a mouse in a field I don't stand a chance against this guy.

IMG_9643 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

This picture gives you an idea just how low these birds fly by.

IMG_9675 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Vulture!!

IMG_9659 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

This one demonstrated a much more graceful landing.

IMG_9703 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The show ends with an uplifting story about the success of conservation and making a difference using the case of the Bald Eagle as an example.

IMG_9706 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

As I said before we really enjoy this show.When we go back in January I think I will put down the camera and actually raise my hand to volunteer. Oh who am I kidding. Of course Iíll still have my camera clicking away.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #115
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Amazing shots!!! I love the one of the owl head on - I am hoping to do this show with my oldest in January, with such a long trip I'm going to make it happen.

Birds are so amazing - we have tons of different types up here. We occasionally have the opportunity to see Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles and other birds that we probably would have lost if not due to conservation- and what a sight they are!! One thing I really enjoy about AK is the focus on conservation. I sat and had a wonderful chat with a CM about how the animals are treated there. I love that they can touch so many people with what they do - in a healthy and entertaining manner.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #116
SAT887
DIS Veteran

And I want to add--- no way would I be sticking my arm out for a bird to grab a dollar bill from!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #117
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

Flights of wonder is a great show DW is not a huge fan so we tend to skip this and not sure DS would be entertained for the whole show. Don't want him causing a comotion during the show and upsetting the birds. It's so hard to sit through shows when DS only has the attention span of 30seconds.

You were able to capture some very nice shots of the birds in action. The dollar bill shot and the Owl look fantastic. Looks like your seat choice was a good one.

Also liking the new water mark for a nice clean professional look and one that doesn't distract from the photo.
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2014 - May - Wilderness Lodge - Adventures at 40"!
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #118
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
I know thatís a stretch but it makes the show extra enjoyable if I imagine that Joe is providing a tongue-in-cheek commentary when he obsesses over his tour guide flag.
You know it has to be...

Quote:
My favorite bird of the show. He steals Guano Joe's tour guide flag and pole in two separate swoops. The flag is returned near the end of the show to Joe all shredded. My hero.

So, tell me how you feel about tour groups?

Quote:
All I know is that this bird can snatch a dollar from your hand with stealth and speed rivaling the birds camped out at Flame Tree BBQ waiting for the rogue French fry to hit the ground.
That's fast!

Quote:
Yeah, no way am I going up on the stage with my comically gigantic camera lens and risking a collision with an owl. I was perfectly happy trying to capture the image from the audience.
Chicken.

Pun intended.

Quote:
Look out! He's coming straight for me!
Those are some great shots!

I especially loved the pictures of the owl, but all of them were great. You did a great job catching the birds in motion.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #119
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Wow, I haven't seen this show in ages, but I do remember really enjoying it. It's very well put together.

Oh God I LOVE those owl shots. Just WOW!!!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #120
RatherBeInAK
Mouseketeer

I loved your pictures of the Flights of Wonder show. We didn't make it to that show while we were there, we'll have to add it to our to-do list for the next trip. Your pictures were wonderful. I really liked your shots of the bird returning the dollar and the ones of the owl. They were fantastic. Wow, that owl looks intense!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: