Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #91
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Just realized that when I typed up a response to your second last post, your latest had already been posted and I missed it! Dratted iPad messes me up. Ok, here's to your DHS/event night post!
I vote yes for Star Wars land. Like... before you ever put another cent or minute into Avatar land.
A private event (even if "Private" = 10,000!) would be so amazing. Look at the DJs everywhere! So cool! Love that shot of the little girl dancing her feet off.
I like that angle of the limo too, I think it's because you can see the dash and steering wheel. I always get it from the front!
Amazing shots of Sunset Blvd. after the crowds left. I love hanging around the parks to take photos while everyone rushes for the exit!
Too funny about the CM sneaking up behind you. I tend to scare the wits out of people that way by accident. I'll just walk up and apparently I'm really silent (also I'm pretty small! ) and then when they turn, BAM! There I am. I don't mean to!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #92
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Wow, talk about a deal on the room. I would have been on top of my computer immediately too so I could get the reservation.

Feels awkwardly slow but I like it speed! That makes absolute sense. Sadly, I don't move at that speed naturally, even when I'm relaxed.

You captured Luke's theme music perfectly!

Whew, thank goodness your tripod didn't decapitate anyone.
IheartDDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #93
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
I vote yes for Star Wars land. Like... before you ever put another cent or minute into Avatar land.
Couldn't agree more! I really can't get excited about Avatar Land. Maybe I'll change my mind after I see the sequel but I'm skeptical about the next two movies as well.

Quote:
A private event (even if "Private" = 10,000!) would be so amazing. Look at the DJs everywhere! So cool! Love that shot of the little girl dancing her feet off.
Mulch and Sweat (? I think that's their name) also had a mini concert stage along Sunset Blvd. It was pretty awesome.

Quote:
I like that angle of the limo too, I think it's because you can see the dash and steering wheel. I always get it from the front!
This! I think that's why my past shots always felt soooo incomplete and unsatisfactory from up front. It gives the picture more life to see more of the interior of the limo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Wow, talk about a deal on the room. I would have been on top of my computer immediately too so I could get the reservation.
Right? It's just so cheap! I found another conference that's more suited for DW in March that's held in Disney. The hotel is CR at a rate of $200! I don't think we can swing that trip this time but it's an annual conference always at CR/Disney so will have to keep that in mind for future years.

Quote:
Feels awkwardly slow but I like it speed! That makes absolute sense. Sadly, I don't move at that speed naturally, even when I'm relaxed.
I'm like you in every day life. Always briskly walking and have to stop myself from out walking my family for more than a block!

Quote:
You captured Luke's theme music perfectly!
Thank you! Been working on it since I was in first grade.

Quote:
Whew, thank goodness your tripod didn't decapitate anyone.
Aaaaand I'm pretty sure the lawyers at WDW share your sentiment.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #94
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Loving the YC/Epcot resort area shots! I especially like the one of the ship wreck! I'm totally with you about jumping resorts. I mean, they're both pretty similar and both deluxe. Still a great deal no matter where you are!

Love all the DHS shots too! Glad you enjoyed your slow, kid-free touring pace. The empty park shots are awesome- even if you jumped out of your skin a little for that second one!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #95
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Loving the YC/Epcot resort area shots! I especially like the one of the ship wreck! I'm totally with you about jumping resorts. I mean, they're both pretty similar and both deluxe. Still a great deal no matter where you are!

Love all the DHS shots too! Glad you enjoyed your slow, kid-free touring pace. The empty park shots are awesome- even if you jumped out of your skin a little for that second one!
Thanks Emily! I loved the look of the shipwreck on the beach as well.

Yeah I'm still shaking my head about that CM.

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #96
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Wait, Norway and China Are Neighbors?

I originally had an ambitious plan of touring the World Showcase and spending a considerable amount at each country while sampling each of the Food+Wine kiosks. Well, turned out I ran out of steam, time, and stomach space near the end of my trip to do so. So big apologies to Japan, Morocco, UK, France, and Canada. Nothing personal. I just happened to start on the other side of the Showcase and worked my way clockwise and your countries just happen to be on the wrong side of the clock.

First stop was Norway! Nope didnít forget about Mexico and thatís coming up on another post. Iím just going to put this out there right now that I have shamefully neglected the World Showcase in general during past trips. For some reason I have found it difficult to do with two young children in the past. Iím pretty sure now though that DD7 will get a lot more out of it. Anyway, my past experiences in Norway started and ended with the princess meals at Akershus. This was the first time I actually looked around.

How was it that I had never before seen this cool looking wooden carving ofÖ..ummmÖ..bird?.......no maybe a dragon? The answer: because it was tucked all the way in the back by the restroom entrances!

IMG_0836 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Speaking of neglect, I went on Maelstrom for the first time ever. My impression at the end of the ride can be described as utter confusion and puzzlement. Was the purpose of the boat ride to attract or repel more tourists to Norway? I actually really do want to visit this beautiful Scandinavian country but after that ride I had a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. If I was a child, I would be staying the heck away from the lands of ghostly Vikings and hungover trolls.

IMG_0838 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Seriously, look how blood shot that eye is!

IMG_0843 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

As we disembarked our boat the CM reminded us about the film we could watch about Norway. After hearing crickets from the group he quickly responded ďAnd please, try to contain your excitement.Ē I thought about it then I saw that there were ZERO people watching it in the theater so off I went into the gift shop.

Hmmmm, more trolls. Someone really needs to rethink the marketing campaign for Norway tourism.

IMG_0846 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Thatís a little better!

IMG_0847 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

My favorite part of Norway turned out to be its exteriors and landscaping. Iíve seen this Viking warrior from pictures many times. It was still interesting to see it in person.

IMG_0849 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Then I found myself obsessed with the flowers that were lining the Norway landscape.

IMG_0854 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0855 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0856 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0857 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Taking these pictures I could almost pretend that I was strolling through a quaint little rural Norwegian village. Of course suddenly running into a Chinese umbrella can bring that daydream to an abrupt halt!

IMG_0860 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

So then I clearly became fixated on the umbrellas with my camera.

IMG_0861 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I walked around the store and found some interesting lighting products.

IMG_0863 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0865 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Not sure where this door leads to. I should have tried pulling it open.

IMG_0868 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Didnít see Mulan roaming the grounds this time. Walked over the bridge over the lotus pond.

IMG_0870 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Then I came across the South Korean Food and Wine Kiosk!

IMG_0876 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I was really looking forward to trying their pork lettuce wrap. It was good and I liked it. Hit the spot quite well as lunch time was approaching. I probably wouldnít call it authentic though but still delicious. I also chuckled to myself that there were three CMs working the kiosk and none of them Korean. In fact, none of them were even Asian!

This is the view that enhanced my taste buds as I chowed down on the reinterpreted Korean cuisine. I think I could have sat there all afternoon but I had to move up to the Outpost.

IMG_0874 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

These giraffe pictures came out a whole lot better than the one from my safari at AK! It helps that these donít really move.

IMG_0881 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Loved how they put together the sign for the facepainting spot.

IMG_0880 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The African F+W kiosk served me a Spinach Paneer pocket which was reeeeeally good. I found a nice shady spot by the curve of the walkway when a CM came up and began performing some sidewalk art. Not bad!

IMG_0878 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

So there you have my experience from the first half of my Epcot World Showcase Tour!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #97
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

No Korean or Asian CMs in S Korea F & W I know a really lovely Asian girl
who is here on the college program where do they put her ? Merchandise in Canada we laugh all the time about her red & black plaid lumberjack style shirt
Yep she feels right at home

"Crickets " re Norway film I presume it was NOT Jiminy Looks like you missed going in the church museum set up There are 3 Vikings in there ( one is a king sorry don't remember the history) but one that always sticks in my mind is the one with an axe held up in a menacing way and wearing some kind of leather hood....if you ever go in there the eyes are so real looking do NOT take the children in there Maybe Norway will become more children and chicken adult friendly with the release of the movie " Frozen " I heard they were going to have a new film update for Norway we'll see Landscape shots are beautiful so that saves Norway for me I always admire the wood carvings in that area

I'm FINALLY going to F & W tomorrow...yes the LAST day and always enjoyed Africa I will take your recommendation along with making a beeline for Italy...where the CMs will call me Bella because they ARE from Italy.... and OH that ravioli !

a story of renewed hope & the power of the Dis:UPDATE 7/19http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #98
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Holy smokes, this was your first trip on the classic that is Maelstrom??? Being a lover of scary things, this ride is an absolute must do. Heck, I even booked a FP for it!

I swear that poor CM at the end has to have the lonliest job in Disney. "Welcome Back" over and over and over...

Seeing the Showcase through you lens really brings it to life Dave.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #99
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
I originally had an ambitious plan of touring the World Showcase and spending a considerable amount at each country while sampling each of the Food+Wine kiosks. Well, turned out I ran out of steam, time, and stomach space near the end of my trip to do so. So big apologies to Japan, Morocco, UK, France, and Canada. Nothing personal. I just happened to start on the other side of the Showcase and worked my way clockwise and your countries just happen to be on the wrong side of the clock. First stop was Norway! Nope didn’t forget about Mexico and that’s coming up on another post. I’m just going to put this out there right now that I have shamefully neglected the World Showcase in general during past trips. For some reason I have found it difficult to do with two young children in the past. I’m pretty sure now though that DD7 will get a lot more out of it. Anyway, my past experiences in Norway started and ended with the princess meals at Akershus. This was the first time I actually looked around. How was it that I had never before seen this cool looking wooden carving of…..ummm…..bird?.......no maybe a dragon? The answer: because it was tucked all the way in the back by the restroom entrances! IMG_0836 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Speaking of neglect, I went on Maelstrom for the first time ever. My impression at the end of the ride can be described as utter confusion and puzzlement. Was the purpose of the boat ride to attract or repel more tourists to Norway? I actually really do want to visit this beautiful Scandinavian country but after that ride I had a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. If I was a child, I would be staying the heck away from the lands of ghostly Vikings and hungover trolls. IMG_0838 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Seriously, look how blood shot that eye is! IMG_0843 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr As we disembarked our boat the CM reminded us about the film we could watch about Norway. After hearing crickets from the group he quickly responded “And please, try to contain your excitement.” I thought about it then I saw that there were ZERO people watching it in the theater so off I went into the gift shop. Hmmmm, more trolls. Someone really needs to rethink the marketing campaign for Norway tourism. IMG_0846 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr That’s a little better! IMG_0847 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr My favorite part of Norway turned out to be its exteriors and landscaping. I’ve seen this Viking warrior from pictures many times. It was still interesting to see it in person. IMG_0849 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Then I found myself obsessed with the flowers that were lining the Norway landscape. IMG_0854 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_0855 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_0856 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_0857 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Taking these pictures I could almost pretend that I was strolling through a quaint little rural Norwegian village. Of course suddenly running into a Chinese umbrella can bring that daydream to an abrupt halt! IMG_0860 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr So then I clearly became fixated on the umbrellas with my camera. IMG_0861 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr I walked around the store and found some interesting lighting products. IMG_0863 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_0865 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Not sure where this door leads to. I should have tried pulling it open. IMG_0868 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Didn’t see Mulan roaming the grounds this time. Walked over the bridge over the lotus pond. IMG_0870 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Then I came across the South Korean Food and Wine Kiosk! IMG_0876 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr I was really looking forward to trying their pork lettuce wrap. It was good and I liked it. Hit the spot quite well as lunch time was approaching. I probably wouldn’t call it authentic though but still delicious. I also chuckled to myself that there were three CMs working the kiosk and none of them Korean. In fact, none of them were even Asian! This is the view that enhanced my taste buds as I chowed down on the reinterpreted Korean cuisine. I think I could have sat there all afternoon but I had to move up to the Outpost. IMG_0874 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr These giraffe pictures came out a whole lot better than the one from my safari at AK! It helps that these don’t really move. IMG_0881 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Loved how they put together the sign for the facepainting spot. IMG_0880 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr The African F+W kiosk served me a Spinach Paneer pocket which was reeeeeally good. I found a nice shady spot by the curve of the walkway when a CM came up and began performing some sidewalk art. Not bad! IMG_0878 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr So there you have my experience from the first half of my Epcot World Showcase Tour!
The African spinach paneer pocket was a family favorite for us. Even my pickiest kid who eats nothing green grabbed it from daddy's hand for more! I know it's probably blasphemy but we liked that much more than the filet from Canada (we we had late in the evening so maybe that mattered?) It was well done and dry. Like super dry. Nowhere close to the best filet I've had and certainly not even the best F&W tasting.
Love your photos. We hasn't done world showcase before either and I can't say my kids (age 4) enjoyed it much. Maybe in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #100
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

so I realized I had joined your TR in progress, but this morning rectified that and went back to read all the beginning - holy smokes you take good pictures!

And I have to comment that I just loved the picture of the small Minnie statue looking at the Partners Statue - so your efforts to get that shot were not in vein.

Glad you enjoyed the private event - gotta love being a Disney veteran and hearing non-veterans utter phrases like "So what is Toy Story Mania?" That is really cool that they ran things like Jedi Training Academy and Fantasmic!

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #101
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
"Crickets " re Norway film I presume it was NOT Jiminy Looks like you missed going in the church museum set up There are 3 Vikings in there ( one is a king sorry don't remember the history) but one that always sticks in my mind is the one with an axe held up in a menacing way and wearing some kind of leather hood....if you ever go in there the eyes are so real looking do NOT take the children in there Maybe Norway will become more children and chicken adult friendly with the release of the movie " Frozen " I heard they were going to have a new film update for Norway we'll see Landscape shots are beautiful so that saves Norway for me I always admire the wood carvings in that area
I tried attempting to go inside the church but the door was locked with a sign hanging out that it was closed. Was hoping to see it. Something to look for next time. I think they are starting meet and greets with the two main characters from Frozen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
I'm FINALLY going to F & W tomorrow...yes the LAST day and always enjoyed Africa I will take your recommendation along with making a beeline for Italy...where the CMs will call me Bella because they ARE from Italy.... and OH that ravioli !
Hope you have a great time at F+W!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
I swear that poor CM at the end has to have the lonliest job in Disney. "Welcome Back" over and over and over...
Definitely. That whole unloading area is so desolate and he's got no other CM in sight to talk to. I think I'll be a little more prepared as far as taking picture is concerned the next time I go on Maelstrom. I just wasn't expecting it to be so dark lighting wise that I didn't have my low light lens on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
The African spinach paneer pocket was a family favorite for us. Even my pickiest kid who eats nothing green grabbed it from daddy's hand for more! I know it's probably blasphemy but we liked that much more than the filet from Canada (we we had late in the evening so maybe that mattered?) It was well done and dry. Like super dry. Nowhere close to the best filet I've had and certainly not even the best F&W tasting.
Love your photos. We hasn't done world showcase before either and I can't say my kids (age 4) enjoyed it much. Maybe in a few years.
Although I didn't try the F+W kiosk at Canada, I can totally agree with you that a lot of the food items were better than the filet. I don't know what to think about Le Cellier anymore. The first time I ate there a couple of years ago for lunch I had their house burger which was totally awesome. Then they got rid of it from the menu and last time I was there I had the filet. I was a bit disappointed which is why we're not making an attempt to eat there this time. Plus it was sooooo expensive I want to try other steakhouses in WDW before going back to LC. The cheese soups is pretty good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
Glad you enjoyed the private event - gotta love being a Disney veteran and hearing non-veterans utter phrases like "So what is Toy Story Mania?" That is really cool that they ran things like Jedi Training Academy and Fantasmic!
I've noticed that if I keep my ears open I hear those kind of comments and questions all the time at Disney. I don't like to interject on other folks conversations but sometimes I just have to so that I can stop them from doing something completely unnecessary or wrong. Like this trip when I was waiting for the Mexico Pavilion to open up at 11am with a handful of people, this family came up asking the woman standing next to me "Is this where we can go on the boat ride?". The woman's answer "No, you want to go over there to the docks at the lake to catch the boat." She clearly were directing to the Friendship Boats and the family was about to head over there so I HAD to stop them. "Are you talking about the boat ride with Donald and the Gran Fiesta?" which they said yes to. I told them to stay put and head inside when the door opens.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #102
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Hi there! I'm new to your reports.. I believe we were in the same October 2013 FB group but that is not why or how I ended up here! Several of the TR's I've been following are coming or came to an end so I needed more to read. I asked Brenda (emmysmommy) for her recommendations and yours was one of them! I'm really happy I found it as your pictures are absolutely beautiful and bring a whole new light to seeing WDW!

Can't wait to see more of your awesome pictures!

Your Minnie one with the Partners statue is just perfection! I also tell those chipmunks apart by the nose!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #103
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great update!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #104
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Hi there! I'm new to your reports.. I believe we were in the same October 2013 FB group but that is not why or how I ended up here! Several of the TR's I've been following are coming or came to an end so I needed more to read. I asked Brenda (emmysmommy) for her recommendations and yours was one of them! I'm really happy I found it as your pictures are absolutely beautiful and bring a whole new light to seeing WDW!

Can't wait to see more of your awesome pictures!

Your Minnie one with the Partners statue is just perfection! I also tell those chipmunks apart by the nose!
Welcome and thank you!! It's great to have you on board!

Telling apart Chip and Dale by the nose color was a recent find for me. Before that I was completely clueless as to which one was which.

I've been very grateful for Brenda and her shout outs for my trip report. Love her trip reports and her adventures with Em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great update!
Thank you!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #105
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Dave your photo safari through WS has not disappointed! Loved the Viking statue in relief against the sky.

You captured the light from the eye on Malestrom perfectly. I'm usually so blinded by it that I can't see the face. I like this ride but my hubby says that it's like a bad troll dream. I do agree that when you think about the creatures it is not too endearing to children. Except for the giant troll in the dump shop where 91.8% of all the kids and adults stick their finger in the trolls nose. I speak from experience.

Those giraffes stood so still for their photo... they didn't even blink. Practice for January I'm sure. Great job!

Perhaps the South Korean food booth was piloting the exchange CM program with another non-Asian country? Just to mix it up a little you know since Rob had a hard time finding an authentic German CM for his CM around the world (insert trademark) tour. It could happen.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: