Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #61
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakkira View Post
Thank you for sharing these
Thank you for following!

I've been having so much fun posting these pictures and sharing the stories!

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #62
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm definitely joining this one. I'm LOVING your pictures. I'm such a non-photographer, but I love and appreciate amazing photos.

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #63
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm definitely joining this one. I'm LOVING your pictures. I'm such a non-photographer, but I love and appreciate amazing photos.
Welcome and thank you!! I'm so happy to have you on-board! I've been really enjoying your TR.

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #64
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Living the High Life at the Yacht Club.......without a Yacht.

This update will be light on pictures. This was the first time I ever stayed at one of the Epcot Resorts that are lined up along Crescent Lake. Even though the conference was taking place in Orange County Convention Center, they contracted through Disney Meetings and Conventions to secure rooms for Beach Club. And are you ready for this? At about half the rack rate. The room rate was $180 per night! Obviously, the rooms sold out pretty quickly as soon as reservations opened back in June but you know that being a well-trained DISer I was in front of my computer right at the time the reservations opened up and snagged a ressie.

When I showed up to check in at the Beach Club after spending most of the day at the conference the place was packed. There were tons of people that were trying to check in most of whom were attendees from the same conference all sporting the same bright blue tote bags from the meeting. As expected for any hotel when they are booked to the gills the day before and the day of check in, the rooms werent ready. The front desk staff asked me how badly I wanted my room preferences. I told him that I would just lovvvve to have any room right now where I can dump my stuff in and head out to the parks. He called around then asked me if I would be good with a room in the Yacht Club instead because he could get me one in the next 30 minutes. Thats how I ended up in YC instead of BC.

I hung around the Yacht Club lobby while my room was getting ready. As I found out sitting there YC was in the last day of hosting the Florida Democratic Convention. There were a lot of hobnobbing in that lobby between local politicians and aides. A big crowd gathered around Charlie Crist who spent about 20 minutes in the lobby shaking hands, signing autographs, and taking pictures which was sort of reminiscent of a character meet and greet at Disney.

My room was ready and I quickly found out why this one was available right away. Right across from my door in the hallway and probably no more than 20 feet away was the ice vending machine that sounded like it was in dire need of some maintenance. I did have a balcony on the second floor. The view was of the parking lot and directly in front of me was the Disney Bus Station. Still I was perfectly happy with my room. After all I was in Disney!

Hmmmm. So many beds to choose from. Which one do I pick?

IMG_8162 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

There were hidden mickeys everywhere in the room. I guess theyre really not that well hidden. Couldn't have been happier as I was paying half the price. I pretty much used the room for just sleeping anyway thanks to my busy itinerary of jumping back and forth between the parks and the convention center.

The service was impeccable. I know youre supposed to expect a certain degree of high level of service at Disney but both the BC and YC had an abundance of CMs everywhere you turned that was ready to jump in even if you had a hint of confusion or question flash across your face which happened a couple of times in the morning for me as I tried to located some of the amenities. Mainly caffeine!!

I didnt get a chance to photograph the resort much. I kept putting it off because each night I got back to the resort it was past midnight and I was just too exhausted. On my last evening, I just gave up. You can thank the creamy milkshake from Beaches and Cream for that which put me in a nightlong coma. By the way, for those of you who are familiar with the Beaches and Cream take out order section: They reeeeeally need to change the queue and the flow. Not enough room for everyone to be in line for both the register and the order pickup. Just asking for someones ice cream to get smeared on another persons shirt on the way out.

After my first night at the resort I did get an opportunity to take a few of these pictures during sunrise. I was intent of sleeping in this particular morning (which for parents with young children means 7:00am) but my body clock said No way! DS usually comes into our room at home around 5:45am every morning. So naturally, my eyes opened at 5:45am and I couldnt fall back asleep. I decided to make the most of it by taking my tripod out with the camera to catch the sunrise. Afterwards I grabbed a cup of coffee and a muffin from the lobby area then I went off to the convention center.

IMG_8349-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_8357 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

During the first evening I also got a chance to walk around the Boardwalk area after the great dinner at bluezoo and caught these images at dusk.

IMG_8174 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_8179 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_8185 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I did enjoy the convenience of being in walking distance to some awesome restaurants around the lake. Being able to walk back and forth to Epcot was a huge plus especially after Illuminations. I dont think though we as a family will be staying the Epcot Resorts for at least another 3-4 years. Our children are still young and still tend to gravitate more towards the themings of AoA or AKL. Plus Magic Kingdom continues to be our familys favorite park because of their age. I can imagine once they get older and their tastes and interests change we will find more things to take advantages of at one of the Epcot Resorts.

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 11-06-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #65
quigs3
Winds in the east, mist comin' in, like somethin' is brewin', about to begin!

Love the beautiful pictures of the boardwalk area at sunset! Glad you were able to get a room at YC-it's one of my favorite resorts!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #66
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
I told him that I would just lovvvve to have any room right now where I can dump my stuff in and head out to the parks. He called around then asked me if I would be good with a room in the Yacht Club instead because he could get me one in the next 30 minutes. That’s how I ended up in YC instead of BC.
Well, with your conference and park schedule, it isn't like you planned on hanging out in the room much anyway.

Quote:
My room was ready and I quickly found out why this one was available right away. Right across from my door in the hallway and probably no more than 20 feet away was the ice vending machine that sounded like it was in dire need of some maintenance
And you'll be so tired when you get back, you'll crash so hard it won't matter anyway.

Quote:
I was still at Disney and there were hidden mickey’s everywhere. I guess they’re really not that well hidden.
I've always thought that. I mean they're not really hidden if they're intended to be found. To me, there are like 2 degrees of hidden Mickeys. The ones that are blatantly obvious, and not really hidden (kind of like the designs in carpet, wallpaper, etc.) and those that you have to look to find (like a mickey in the props in an attraction).

Quote:
On my last evening, I just gave up. You can thank to creamy milkshake from Beaches and Cream for that which put me in a nightlong coma.
That actually sounds really good right about now...

Quote:
After my first night at the resort I did get an opportunity to take a few of these pictures during sunrise. I was intent of sleeping in this particular morning (which for parents with young children means 7:00am) but my body clock said “No way!”
My body clock usually just says no way because I'm in Disney World.

And knowing that I'd be at a conference in a few hours, I'd know I'd have time to catch up on missed sleep anyway...

Beautiful sunrise/sunset pictures. Too bad you didn't get an opportunity to get more around the resort, but I totally understand. I don't think that would have been the top priority for me, either.

I think you make a great point about the EPCOT resorts. I definitely want to stay at one, but it does lend itself more toward adults and older kids. I'm sure it was the perfect place to stay for a solo trip!
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #67
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh Dave I was thrilled when you said they had a room at YC, noisy ice machine and parking lot view aside, it really is a lovely resort. That conference rate was awesome.

Your sunrise photo by the lighthouse pier is spectacular! The Boardwalk area is very photogenic as well. I love the dusk photos showing both sides of Crescent Lake.

Ha ha! I'm picturing the line at B&C and someone shouting out I've been smeared!! I've not been to the walk up counter before but we've been seated on the other side of the little wall and worried that a drip of ice cream may find its way onto us.

Completely agree that the ambiance and theming is definitely not marketed to the little ones here. Try to find a character incorporated into the theming anywhere at YC.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #68
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

Still an awesome room for the price. With as much as you were at the parks quite time in the room didn't seem like a priority. You could always have just went over an unplugged the machine for a little bit if it was keeping you up. By the time someone noticed and plugged it back in you would have already been asleep.

The convenience of being able to walk back to your room at the end of the night is a big plus. Not having to fight the crowds out is always nice.

Have to agree about the theming being much netter at some of the other resorts for the kids. Animals and characters are much more interesting.
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2014 - May - Wilderness Lodge - Adventures at 40"!
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #69
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Light on pictures??? WHAT?!! I've been bamboozled!

Wow what a great rate. I would love to stay in one of those resorts and be able to just pop over to Epcot or DHS. Not to mention how gorgeous the area is anyway. At $180 I may have pulled that off. Nice score Dave!

Despite the lack of photos, I do love the ones you got. I so enjoy the atmosphere as the resorts "wake up" each morning. So peaceful and beautiful.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #70
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigs3 View Post
Love the beautiful pictures of the boardwalk area at sunset! Glad you were able to get a room at YC-it's one of my favorite resorts!
I really liked the atmosphere at YC! Oh and how I wished I had more nights there because there were a few more restaurants I wanted to try in the Epcot Resort area including a couple of steakhouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
And you'll be so tired when you get back, you'll crash so hard it won't matter anyway.
And that's exactly what happened each night.

Quote:
My body clock usually just says no way because I'm in Disney World.
I have the same problem with that too which is why I can never seem to take a nap while at Disney.

Quote:
Beautiful sunrise/sunset pictures. Too bad you didn't get an opportunity to get more around the resort, but I totally understand. I don't think that would have been the top priority for me, either.
I would have really liked to have explored the awesome swimming pool. Something to look forward to in the future.

Quote:
I think you make a great point about the EPCOT resorts. I definitely want to stay at one, but it does lend itself more toward adults and older kids. I'm sure it was the perfect place to stay for a solo trip!
It worked out great for my solo trip. After our next trip at AKL in January, if we do decide to go deluxe again we'll probably shoot for one of the MK resorts, probably CR or BLT. We still spend the most time at MK of all the parks with the kids. It would be so awesome being able to just walk back to the room after Wishes and not have to deal with the crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Oh Dave I was thrilled when you said they had a room at YC, noisy ice machine and parking lot view aside, it really is a lovely resort. That conference rate was awesome.
As soon as the BC front desk CM said Yacht Club I thought of you and the Celine Dion suite! I thought to myself "Sweeeet! I'm going to stay in Brenda's resort!"

Quote:
Ha ha! I'm picturing the line at B&C and someone shouting out I've been smeared!! I've not been to the walk up counter before but we've been seated on the other side of the little wall and worried that a drip of ice cream may find its way onto us.
I think when someone yells "I've been smeared!" they should blare out the sirens like they do for the Kitchen Sink!

Quote:
Completely agree that the ambiance and theming is definitely not marketed to the little ones here. Try to find a character incorporated into the theming anywhere at YC.
I did find Mickey himself holding up the desk lamp! But that was about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuck4Life View Post
You could always have just went over an unplugged the machine for a little bit if it was keeping you up. By the time someone noticed and plugged it back in you would have already been asleep.
Now why didn't I think of that! It really didn't keep me up though. Too exhausted by the time I hit the bed that nothing could have kept me up.

Quote:
The convenience of being able to walk back to your room at the end of the night is a big plus. Not having to fight the crowds out is always nice.
That walk back from Illuminations through International Gateway was beautiful. Especially since I watched Illuminations from the UK-France bridge. There was very little walking.

Quote:
Have to agree about the theming being much netter at some of the other resorts for the kids. Animals and characters are much more interesting.
DD's been lobbying for another stay at Art of Animation. There's a very good chance we may end up there in 2015. But for next January I'm standing my ground with AKL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Light on pictures??? WHAT?!! I've been bamboozled!
Or as Josh from EasyWDW would say "Vacation Ruined!!"

Quote:
Wow what a great rate. I would love to stay in one of those resorts and be able to just pop over to Epcot or DHS. Not to mention how gorgeous the area is anyway. At $180 I may have pulled that off. Nice score Dave!
It was just too good of a deal. Oh and all those restaurants in walking distance - I was in foodie heaven. Got to eat at bluezoo, Kouzzina, and Flying Fish. More on the solo dining experiences in a future update!

Quote:
Despite the lack of photos, I do love the ones you got. I so enjoy the atmosphere as the resorts "wake up" each morning. So peaceful and beautiful.
This has become somewhat of a ritual for me now every time we go on vacation. DW and the kids would still be sleeping while I explore the resort area around sunrise time. There's usually no one around and as you said very peaceful and quiet as the sun comes up.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #71
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

While I know waking up at 5:45 am on vacation just HAD to be a bummer, I have to say, all your readers definitely benefit from your internal alarm clock when you get to share such beautiful sunrise photos with us! I also had to laugh that you mentioned 7 am being considered "sleeping in." SO TRUE!

The inside of your YC room looks beautiful, despite the noisy location and the substandard view. The colors really pop in there with all of the white!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #72
chattadisser
Mouseketeer

I'm just getting caught back up on your TR…but
  • No Mickey treats or Dole Whips???
  • Boo to the rental lens being bad. That had to be a disappointment after the anticipation of the fun that you would have with it.
  • No candy from the party?? I would think with all that running around during the party you would need a sugar high.

Wonderful pictures from the Nemo show. You caught elements that I don’t remember seeing watching the show and I’ve seen it several times. I think in person, there is just sooo much going on at once, that its hard to catch all the details. I love the details!

Awesome pictures of the statues around the partner statue. I have some of these but I like how you have focused the entire picture on the statue being photographed. Without the competing background it makes the character in question come to life.

I had to laugh at your reference to the character meet and greet with Charlie Crist.

Isn’t that the way it always is when you’re a parent and you get a chance to “sleep-in”…you never can and you’re still up early. I don’t fight it anymore and just enjoy the quiet. Gorgeous sunrise pictures!

Christine

chattadisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #73
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Those are some great Sunrise/Dusk photos!

We love the location for the EPCOT resorts but do get what you say about little kids loving theming. When they are a bit bigger they probably will enjoy Storm Along Bay more as well

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #74
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

I felt like I was standing right beside you at the YC when you took those shots
It is such a pretty area and the beauty of getting up early is that you can get these

Great idea about unplugging the ice vending machine so easy so obvious of course it never would have occurred to me either yep " vacation ruined" ala Josh
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #75
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
While I know waking up at 5:45 am on vacation just HAD to be a bummer, I have to say, all your readers definitely benefit from your internal alarm clock when you get to share such beautiful sunrise photos with us! I also had to laugh that you mentioned 7 am being considered "sleeping in." SO TRUE!

The inside of your YC room looks beautiful, despite the noisy location and the substandard view. The colors really pop in there with all of the white!
It's funny how I almost didn't go out for those sunrise pictures. I initially left the room without my camera gear just to find some coffee and a muffin. I was mumbling to myself that I was too darn sleepy to bother with trying to get the sunrise pictures. Then as I was passing by the windows in the lobby looking east I saw the faint but beautiful colors beginning to dawn on the sky. I just couldn't resist. I immediately ran back to my room and grabbed my tripod/camera. Two minutes later I was out and setting up the shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
I'm just getting caught back up on your TR…but
  • No Mickey treats or Dole Whips???
  • Boo to the rental lens being bad. That had to be a disappointment after the anticipation of the fun that you would have with it.
  • No candy from the party?? I would think with all that running around during the party you would need a sugar high.

Wonderful pictures from the Nemo show. You caught elements that I don’t remember seeing watching the show and I’ve seen it several times. I think in person, there is just sooo much going on at once, that its hard to catch all the details. I love the details!

Awesome pictures of the statues around the partner statue. I have some of these but I like how you have focused the entire picture on the statue being photographed. Without the competing background it makes the character in question come to life.

I had to laugh at your reference to the character meet and greet with Charlie Crist.

Isn’t that the way it always is when you’re a parent and you get a chance to “sleep-in”…you never can and you’re still up early. I don’t fight it anymore and just enjoy the quiet. Gorgeous sunrise pictures!

Christine
I'm still kicking myself for not stopping for a Mickey bar or a Dole Whip! Those are two of my favorite treats at Disney.

Just watching Charlie Crist got me all exhausted and reminded me why I could never be a politician. I would get tired within two minutes of shaking strangers hand and my mouth would probably start spasming from all the smiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
Those are some great Sunrise/Dusk photos!

We love the location for the EPCOT resorts but do get what you say about little kids loving theming. When they are a bit bigger they probably will enjoy Storm Along Bay more as well
Welcome and thank you!!

I think I would LOVE to come back at one of the Epcot Resorts during Food and Wine Festival once the kids are a little older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
I felt like I was standing right beside you at the YC when you took those shots
It is such a pretty area and the beauty of getting up early is that you can get these

Great idea about unplugging the ice vending machine so easy so obvious of course it never would have occurred to me either yep " vacation ruined" ala Josh
Thanks Ruthie! The whole Crescent Lake area is very photogenic!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: