Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #436
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

I've become very neglectful in commenting, but I've been diligently following your pictures and they're all absolutely stunning! Your pictures of FOTLK in particular are a beautiful tribute to a show that will be greatly missed on it's hiatus. I almost wish the performers could see what beautiful pictures you took of them- I'm sure they'd be in awe!

You have another trip right around the corner, I believe, right? Your kids must be getting excited!!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #437
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Wow... just wow. Your photos just really capture the beauty of this show. The costumes are so beautiful and spectacular. Not to mention the facial expressions of the performers. Bravo!

Thanks so much for including the final Minnie-Mickey performance video. The energy from that crowd was off the charts. Just goes to show how popular this show really is and why it was a good decision to move it and not close it. Can you imagine this show not part of AK? Probably the best overall collection of songs of any single Disney movie ever.
There was a period last year in the midst of swirling rumors involving the closure of Camp Minnie and Mickey that the fate of FotLK was not entirely clear and I have to tell ya that gave me a lot of heart palpitations! You can imagine how ecstatic I was when I heard not only that the show was going to go on but that they were going to get a brand new home! Here's to hoping that they make improvements and updates where is needed (the floats come to mind) while keeping the main elements and spirit of the show intact as the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Wow. Easily the best FOTLK photos I've ever seen! I love the close ups. It's absolutely my favourite show in all of disney. I like that they're building a new theatre in Africa, it seems a lot more appropriate! I hope it's an amazing new place for them!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Thanks Wendy! One of the reasons I have fallen in love with shooting stage shows with my 70-200mm is the range it gives me to get really up close shots of the performers and their expressions. It's so much fun to capture those expressions that embody the spirit of the show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
I've become very neglectful in commenting, but I've been diligently following your pictures and they're all absolutely stunning! Your pictures of FOTLK in particular are a beautiful tribute to a show that will be greatly missed on it's hiatus. I almost wish the performers could see what beautiful pictures you took of them- I'm sure they'd be in awe!

You have another trip right around the corner, I believe, right? Your kids must be getting excited!!
Thank you! Yes, we have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks!! It's just starting to feel real now so getting a lot more excited about it this week. I'll post an update on my plans for the upcoming trip later tonight since I'm not doing a PTR this time. Been too preoccupied with this trip report.

As for your comments about sharing the pictures with the performers and CMs, funny you should mention that. A week before Christmas I sent a USB drive to Disney World Guest Relations filled with pictures of the various cast members and performers from my entire October trip. Sent a cover a letter addressed to all of the CMs thanking them for making my October trip and all of our previous trips so memorable. As a gesture of thanks I asked if the pictures could be forwarded to the individual CMs in them. A couple of weeks later I received a letter from a Guest Relations CM thanking me for sending the pictures and that I could be "rest assured" that the pictures will be forwarded to their respective department leadership for distribution!

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #438
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Some Disney Scheming

Our family trip to Disney is a mere 2 weeks away!! Ok, 2 weeks and 1 day but I'm all for rounding down when it comes to my Disney countdown!

I know my Disney trip is just around the corner not just because my countdown app on my iPhone tells me so but also because 1) I've begun checking the weather in Orlando even though forecasts are horribly inaccurate this far our, 2) I've been scrutinizing my touring plans looking for any problematic areas to fix, and 3) I've been desperately searching for ways to secure plans for another trip to Disney! Because as all DISers know the severity of post-Disney depression is equally proportional to the length of time until the next trip.

The 3) activity led to some major developments this evening. By the way, does anything about me look different today? Nope, didn't get a haircut. Nope, I'm not wearing new shirt. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of this post, perhaps you see something new? YES, there's a brand new ticker added! Let me tell you how this came to be.

So here's what happened over the holidays. On Christmas day while at my in laws we were all watching the Disney parade as the kids were running around trying the best to break the new toys they opened merely two hours earlier when my sister in law (DW's sister) asks when we were heading back to the World. I gleefully told her in about a month and asked her when they were going to visit Disney again after their first trip back in May of 2012. It turns out they are planning for a visit in June of 2015. Now, my sis in law has been wanting to go with us to Disney for awhile now but going in June has not been exactly my first choice. But she's a teacher and has very little to no flexibility for a Disney trip during the school year. Being in the Christmas spirit I said to myself "Why not in June?" If we planned for a week long trip with rope drops and afternoon breaks I could see this working even with the heat and crowds. So I offered that we could go with them in June of 2015 if they would like and both sister and brother-in-laws quickly said YES! DW was very happy too and this will most likely turn into a mini family reunion with my in laws with father-in-law and DW's brother joining us as well. The more the merrier! I'm very excited about this trip!

Only this created a small problem for me. Between our upcoming trip in a couple of weeks and June 2015 is a 17 month gap. I had gotten used to the idea of our shorter annual trips and this long gap was starting to pose a problem to my Disney addiction. So that Christmas morning I asked my wife about taking a short trip during the kids' mini fall break over Halloween. Before I even finished that sentence she said "No!" Yes, that was a shock to my system. As I was recovering from that jolt of a rejection she added "I don't want to just go to Disney World all the time. It would be nice to visit other places too!" Ok, that's a fair argument that I'm sure has echoed through many of DIS households. Except we do go to other places as I reminded her - Korea this past summer, Hawaii for my Dad's 70th birthday next summer. But I kept quiet because I knew I had to formulate a better strategy to convince her of going in Halloween. I had such a great time on my solo trip I've been dying to take the kids to MNSSHP!

I've been scheming for the past couple of weeks. I needed to entice DW with something that would make this trip feel less like a Disney trip and more of a Florida trip. Then it hit me. DW has been wanting to visit her aunt and uncle who retired and moved to Port Charlotte near Fort Myers. Google Maps tells me that's only a 2.5 hour drive from Orlando! The plan began falling into place in my head. As long as we got to do MNSSHP I would be happy. This didn't need to be a full length Disney trip, just something to tidy me over and bridge the long gap. If we took DD out of school just for a couple of days and piggy back those days on to her 4 day school holiday this could work.

So here's what I proposed to DW this evening. We arrive in Orlando on the evening of Wednesday 29th and spend one night at an off site hotel at DTD. Then we check into Contemporary Resort just for two nights since our plans will mostly be concentrated at MK. Thursday night and Friday night we attend MNSSHP! The kids will get to go trick or treating ON HALLOWEEN in Magic Kingdom! Between the parties on Friday we'll take things easy. No parks. A late brunch at Ohana. Pool time. Nap time. Spa time for DW before we go to our second party. Saturday we go to DW's favorite park AK then that night drive to her aunt and uncle's where we will spend Sunday, Monday, and part of Tuesday before driving back to MCO to head home. Yes, I stacked the deck for her.

Her answer? THUMBS UP!!!

So the bottom line of this story is

We're going to Disney World for Halloween!

I'm beyond excited! Our kids will get to see Boo To You, Hallowishes, and all of the goodies that come with Halloween at Disney! We'll also get to go on the Mine Train ride which will be open by then! AND we'll get to see the new FotLK!

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 01-14-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #439
MEK
DIS Veteran

Yay! for a Halloween trip! We were there last year for Halloween, which happens to be DH's birthday. Next year we will be there for our anniversary which is earlier in the month. Sorry we'll be missing you, but I'm very excited your got your Halloween trip!

Fort Myer's is supposed to be lovely. I am sure you will enjoy that as well!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #440
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

Nice work getting your October trip!! That sounds like a nice Disney/non-Disney split. We go in Feb and then probably not again until 2016. My DH thinks there are other places to visit too. Blah, blah, blah.

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW
Nov 2014-Coronado Springs and AKV Kidani Feb 2015 All Star Music April 2015 AKV Jambo and BWV Oct 2015 POFQ
Valgoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #441
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Yay! for a Halloween trip! We were there last year for Halloween, which happens to be DH's birthday. Next year we will be there for our anniversary which is earlier in the month. Sorry we'll be missing you, but I'm very excited your got your Halloween trip!

Fort Myer's is supposed to be lovely. I am sure you will enjoy that as well!
I'm sorry too that we'll miss each other in October. Very excited about attending MNSSHP on Halloween even though it will be a packed house - that's why I thought attending two parties with our kids will be a bit easier and give us more time to enjoy.

I'm starting to research a bit about the Fort Myers area for the kids. Although the idea of just lounging on the beach and enjoying some good food sounds perfectly fine to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgoof View Post
Nice work getting your October trip!! That sounds like a nice Disney/non-Disney split. We go in Feb and then probably not again until 2016. My DH thinks there are other places to visit too. Blah, blah, blah.
Thanks! Your DH sounds a lot like my DW I'm all for other places as long as I can get sprinkles of Disney here and there.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 AM   #442
RachelleBeaney
PrincessShelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post

I have mixed feelings about the Finding Nemo Musical. On the one hand I love the colors and production design as well as the enthusiasm the performers bring to the stage. On the other hand Im not so hot on the musical numbers. I know they had to create all of the songs from scratch since the movie itself just had 4 bars of tune when Dori sings Just keep swimming. You have to admit, even thats an earworm. I guess expecting composition in the calibers of the Lion King or Beauty and the Beast would be unfair for a production at a theme park located in middle of a Dinosaur laden carnival. But considering how well the other parts of the production are done it just gives you that feeling of what could have been.

Continued in Next Post (I really wish DIS would let me post more than 25 pictures at a time!)
I completely agree! I swear there was one song that's lyrics were something along the lines of "I'm so sad because Dad's so mad!" I think that they needed to really bring in one of their composers who does Disney so well (aka Alan Menken) to do justice to creating a musical out of something that isn't...I'm glad to hear someone else agrees as I was a little let down by reviews of how brilliant this show is. Sure the puppetry and sets are great but music, to me at least, is the glue of a good show and Finding Nemo the Musical had no glue! And I think it's totally fair to expect Disney to put on a musical with good music given their continuing excellence at movie musical scores and songs.

I also wish DIS would allow me to post more than 25 photos in each post - perhaps we should petition them!

Great report by the way - your photos are awesome
Disneyland Resort - 2009, Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando - 2011, Disneyland Resort - 2012, Tokyo Disney Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and Disneyland Resort - 2013

PLANNED - 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise - Disney Fantasy, Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando with the new WWOHP - Diagon Alley and Disneyland Resort - 2015

2012 Disneyland trip report:

2013 Disney trip of a lifetime pre-trip report:

2013 Disney trip of a lifetime trip report

2015 Our First Disney Cruise - 7 night Eastern Carribbean, WDW, UOR and DL Pre-Trip report
RachelleBeaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #443
RachelleBeaney
PrincessShelle

Also, those photos of Flights of Wonder at AK were amazing! I was so excited when we got one shot of the bald eagle with his wings outstretched

But your are WAAYY better! Getting the birds in flight is so hard - they move so fast!

Loving your photos by the way. I also realise I need a better camera!
Disneyland Resort - 2009, Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando - 2011, Disneyland Resort - 2012, Tokyo Disney Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and Disneyland Resort - 2013

PLANNED - 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise - Disney Fantasy, Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando with the new WWOHP - Diagon Alley and Disneyland Resort - 2015

2012 Disneyland trip report:

2013 Disney trip of a lifetime pre-trip report:

2013 Disney trip of a lifetime trip report

2015 Our First Disney Cruise - 7 night Eastern Carribbean, WDW, UOR and DL Pre-Trip report
RachelleBeaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #444
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleBeaney View Post
I also wish DIS would allow me to post more than 25 photos in each post - perhaps we should petition them!

Great report by the way - your photos are awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleBeaney View Post
Also, those photos of Flights of Wonder at AK were amazing! I was so excited when we got one shot of the bald eagle with his wings outstretched
Thank you! Love your photo of the Bald Eagle!!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #445
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! Yes, we have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks!! It's just starting to feel real now so getting a lot more excited about it this week. I'll post an update on my plans for the upcoming trip later tonight since I'm not doing a PTR this time. Been too preoccupied with this trip report.

As for your comments about sharing the pictures with the performers and CMs, funny you should mention that. A week before Christmas I sent a USB drive to Disney World Guest Relations filled with pictures of the various cast members and performers from my entire October trip. Sent a cover a letter addressed to all of the CMs thanking them for making my October trip and all of our previous trips so memorable. As a gesture of thanks I asked if the pictures could be forwarded to the individual CMs in them. A couple of weeks later I received a letter from a Guest Relations CM thanking me for sending the pictures and that I could be "rest assured" that the pictures will be forwarded to their respective department leadership for distribution!
What a good idea- I'll bet those pictures really made someone's day! I imagine it would be exciting to be 'recognized' as an individual performer when they are so used to coming together to put on large, spectacular shows.

Woohoo! A halloween trip! I'm also planning an October trip this year- though not quite on the holiday as you are. As you said- sometimes between trips just becomes too long of a wait not to pop back down!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #446
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
What a good idea- I'll bet those pictures really made someone's day! I imagine it would be exciting to be 'recognized' as an individual performer when they are so used to coming together to put on large, spectacular shows.

Woohoo! A halloween trip! I'm also planning an October trip this year- though not quite on the holiday as you are. As you said- sometimes between trips just becomes too long of a wait not to pop back down!
Awesome that you're going in October too! Sorry to hear we'll miss each other. I think I saw you in the October 2014 FB group? I just joined today

Old 01-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #447
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Dave, I LOVE that you did that. So considerate and I bet the CM'S adored it. This is just awesome!!!

Moving along...

Aww Dave this is fantastic news about your extra trip. Super well done on the planning/scheming too. I particularly enjoyed the added "Spa time". NICE!!

Obviously you already know how amazing Halloween is in the World and TWO PARTIES sounds amazing. I'm hoping to do the same this year.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #448
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Wow! Before you even go to this trip you have two more planned? Nothing to sneeze at for sure!! Sounds like two great plans, and I love how you made October work. (Did you talk to my mother in law about those tactics???)

teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #449
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Dave, I LOVE that you did that. So considerate and I bet the CM'S adored it. This is just awesome!!!

Moving along...

Aww Dave this is fantastic news about your extra trip. Super well done on the planning/scheming too. I particularly enjoyed the added "Spa time". NICE!!

Obviously you already know how amazing Halloween is in the World and TWO PARTIES sounds amazing. I'm hoping to do the same this year.
I thought about it and it just made sense for our kids to go for two parties. I'm absolutely sure that the kids will want to spend a considerable amount of time trick or treating on Halloween. Plus I'm pretty sure the party on Halloween which is also on a Friday will be PACKED! Going to two parties will take the pressure off of trying to get a lot of things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Wow! Before you even go to this trip you have two more planned? Nothing to sneeze at for sure!! Sounds like two great plans, and I love how you made October work. (Did you talk to my mother in law about those tactics???)

As I was putting together my plans, the story of your mother-in-law did cross my mind.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #450
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

Quote:

Great idea! I had thought about saying that I bet a lot of those performers would love to have those shots for their portfolios, but hadn't thought of a way you could make that happen. Hope it actually works -- it will be wonderful for them to see them. You are amazing -- you seem too good to be true (now I can almost understand people falling in love on the Internet!).

Your upcoming trip plans are terrific!
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: