Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #31
chattadisser
Mouseketeer

Wouldn't it be so much fun to be a HM CM? You could be grim and mess with guests all the time!

Part of the problem on HM, to me, is aside from the darkness and it's issues is that you are limited to the direction that your doom buggy turns. You have no control over that part. For some shots you either need to be lucky or ride a lot.

I've never gotten to see Carlotta/Renatta in person. From what I have seen on You Tube they are a hoot!

From a photography perspective are there any on-line tutorials that you recommend?

Christine

chattadisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #32
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

I love how awesome the Mansion is anyway, but at Halloween it's even more spectacular.

OK, so what was on the T-Shirt? Or did I miss that somehow.

I have mixed feelings on those who recite the dialogue in the stretching room. I mean, it's SO hard not to and I admit to being guilty at times (I do it with Wishes too, and ToT, and...). But at the same time, I feel bad for those who've never been there before. Part of me feels that they deserve to experience it first hand as opposed to listening to the dialogue from other guests. But as a Disney fanatic, I can't help but love it when guests recite along, and would probably be smiling right along with you.

I so agree and Renata and Carolotta. They are an absolute hoot and you could honestly spend the entire party watching either of them and be entertained.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

A very appropriate update for Halloween. I'm glad that you were able to kind of just stand back and take some time to enjoy the ambience and capture the ghost of Renata and the CM's outside the HM. That isn't really something you see a lot of in TR's.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Love the HM Halloween shots I always laugh at the Here Lies Fred one ( DH name ) this really seemed creepy though this time of year with those effects and Brother Dave Too !! Carlota ( ? ) she was a riot agreed with you, could have spent much more time listening to her hackling the guests ..again amazing shots

See Ed made it over to your TR, would be pretty nice if you two do get to do a photo walk, I would invite myself and soak up the knowledge you two have

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDial View Post
Main Street was lit much better for the parade. At least in the hub where I was at.

This was hand held although I did have my tripod with me for the fireworks. It was on shutter priority. 1/100 ISO 6400 with the 24-70 2.8
Yup, that's about the setting I was using for my manual mode. ISO cranked up somewhere between 4000-6400. F stopped down to 2.8. And shutter speed 1/100 and higher for some of the faster moving performers.

For the second parade I positioned myself on the other end of Main Street in front of the flag pole looking straight on towards the castle. I was able to get much better photos there especially if I hit the shutter button when the performers hit one of the spotlights. Stay tuned! Those pictures will be posted soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Oh my gosh! How did I fall behind when you just started? What an amazing start and I love the first post on Halloween being filled with HM fun for the party! Your photos with the progression from light to dark are amazing!!

This is better than a Mickey treat! I'm so looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip and of course the fabulous photos.
Hi Brenda! I hit the ground running with the trip report but now I'm stuck in post-processing land rummaging through pictures. Needless to say, it is going very very slowly.

I dunno. I think I still prefer my Mickey treat. By the way, I just came to the realization that I completely forgot to have one. And totally blanked on the Dole Whip as well. Nooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Amazing shots, as expected. Can't believe that even with your f1.4 it was still so dark in HM! I've never really tried to take very much in there. If I get my new lens in time I'll have to try some too! Hahaha
I love HM anyway, but it really does get even better at the Halloween party. The interactions with the cms around there are pretty awesome too!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Thanks Wendy! HM was definitely a highlight of MNSSHP!

I have to say I had some issues with the 35mm 1.4 I rented. I have a suspicion that part of it may have been that the quality of the rental lens was not great. It did have that worn down look on the outside and UV filter that came with had a ding on it. The images just didn't come out sharp like I was hoping to even in daylight. Had a lot of issues with lens flares that I didn't want. And focusing was very difficult and cumbersome. I may have to rent again from a different place before I render my verdict on this one. I gave up on the lens after the first two days and stopped using it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
Wouldn't it be so much fun to be a HM CM? You could be grim and mess with guests all the time!

Part of the problem on HM, to me, is aside from the darkness and it's issues is that you are limited to the direction that your doom buggy turns. You have no control over that part. For some shots you either need to be lucky or ride a lot.

I've never gotten to see Carlotta/Renatta in person. From what I have seen on You Tube they are a hoot!

From a photography perspective are there any on-line tutorials that you recommend?

Christine
Hi Christine! Definitely would be good to be a CM at HM. You could be having a bad day but no one would notice as everyone would assume you're in character!

I totally agree with you about in ride photography for HM. There's a lot of luck involved with it. I know the ride sequence pretty close to heart so I can anticipate things better. Also that was the other reason I went on the ride back to back. My biggest issue has been focusing in the past which I found manual focus works the best for the ride - at least for me.

I haven't used an online tutorial per se. The way I learned from the internet was googling a certain question about photography and pulling up the answers from a few different photography forums and message boards. I think the very first question I googled was "What settings for Fireworks?" and things took off from there. Whenever I notice an issue with my technique or if the picture doesn't come out the way I had intended to when I'm reviewing it on my laptop, I would google the issue and try to trouble shoot. The more I did this the more I learned about exposures and that darn triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
I love how awesome the Mansion is anyway, but at Halloween it's even more spectacular.

OK, so what was on the T-Shirt? Or did I miss that somehow.

I have mixed feelings on those who recite the dialogue in the stretching room. I mean, it's SO hard not to and I admit to being guilty at times (I do it with Wishes too, and ToT, and...). But at the same time, I feel bad for those who've never been there before. Part of me feels that they deserve to experience it first hand as opposed to listening to the dialogue from other guests. But as a Disney fanatic, I can't help but love it when guests recite along, and would probably be smiling right along with you.

I so agree and Renata and Carolotta. They are an absolute hoot and you could honestly spend the entire party watching either of them and be entertained.
Hi Rob! Totally forgot to post the picture of the t-shirt. Here it is!

Untitled by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I wish I could have seen them both. But still very happy that I caught at least one of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
A very appropriate update for Halloween. I'm glad that you were able to kind of just stand back and take some time to enjoy the ambience and capture the ghost of Renata and the CM's outside the HM. That isn't really something you see a lot of in TR's.
I did a lot of that during this trip where I just laid back and walked around in a very relaxing pace which made things extremely enjoyable. I think the only time I really booked it was trying to get to a FP+ window and made with no time to spare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Love the HM Halloween shots I always laugh at the Here Lies Fred one ( DH name ) this really seemed creepy though this time of year with those effects and Brother Dave Too !! Carlota ( ? ) she was a riot agreed with you, could have spent much more time listening to her hackling the guests ..again amazing shots

See Ed made it over to your TR, would be pretty nice if you two do get to do a photo walk, I would invite myself and soak up the knowledge you two have
Thanks Ruthie! We'll have to see if we can line up our schedules together!

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

Following along. Just settling down after having to jump back into the work world coming back from our trip. I love all the haunted mansion shots, I'm still kicking myself that I wasn't able to make it over there. It's rough going back to work the next day after coming back from vacation especially when things are crazy here. I've managed to weather the work storm for now to catch up and chime in on your trip report. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

You were able to get some great shots! Really liking the HM CM shots, they really do go all out.
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2014 - May - Wilderness Lodge - Adventures at 40"!
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #37
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuck4Life View Post
Following along. Just settling down after having to jump back into the work world coming back from our trip. I love all the haunted mansion shots, I'm still kicking myself that I wasn't able to make it over there. It's rough going back to work the next day after coming back from vacation especially when things are crazy here. I've managed to weather the work storm for now to catch up and chime in on your trip report. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

You were able to get some great shots! Really liking the HM CM shots, they really do go all out.
Yeah, that first day back to work is always brutal and takes awhile to settle back into reality. Good to hear you made it back home safely!

I just want to hand those CMs at the HM a lint roller!

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #38
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

Hi DIFC -- am thrilled you have started a TR here with wonderful photos. I was a little worried when you were talking about twitter, which I don't follow (tried it in its early days and it was just ugly, maybe I should check it out again). I just got back today and definitely underachieved in the photo department. Back in the day, I was the one lugging around a bunch of 35mm stuff, lenses, tripod, filters, etc. Now it's just pocket-sized point and shoot and photopass. So, delighted to see your wonderful photos, esp of MNSSHP. I tried to get the fireworks on video with my DD's new GoPro, but its fisheye field of vision worked against me -- I loved the show. And I missed some of the key elements of the parade -- had other priorities (Maleficent, 7 dwarves, Jack and Sally). And I didn't even know they added all that great stuff to HM. I do want to go back for the party another year, since I missed so much -- and it was great, a lot of fun, just couldn't get to everything (like any trip to WDW).

I enjoy my solo trips (and did have some family time also on this trip).

Looking forward to enjoying as many more of your photos as you are able to get around to posting (it's not like you have an overfull life at home or anything, right? -- lots of free time to play around on the computer!).

Thank you for your enthusiasm and sharing your visions with us.
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #39
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post

Thanks Wendy! HM was definitely a highlight of MNSSHP! I have to say I had some issues with the 35mm 1.4 I rented. I have a suspicion that part of it may have been that the quality of the rental lens was not great. It did have that worn down look on the outside and UV filter that came with had a ding on it. The images just didn't come out sharp like I was hoping to even in daylight. Had a lot of issues with lens flares that I didn't want. And focusing was very difficult and cumbersome. I may have to rent again from a different place before I render my verdict on this one. I gave up on the lens after the first two days and stopped using it all together.
That's disappointing your rental experience was poor. I enjoyed renting my lens so much that now I want the lens I rented.... My 55-200 is so soft and I've now been spoiled....
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #40
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecllap View Post
Hi DIFC -- am thrilled you have started a TR here with wonderful photos. I was a little worried when you were talking about twitter, which I don't follow (tried it in its early days and it was just ugly, maybe I should check it out again). I just got back today and definitely underachieved in the photo department. Back in the day, I was the one lugging around a bunch of 35mm stuff, lenses, tripod, filters, etc. Now it's just pocket-sized point and shoot and photopass. So, delighted to see your wonderful photos, esp of MNSSHP. I tried to get the fireworks on video with my DD's new GoPro, but its fisheye field of vision worked against me -- I loved the show. And I missed some of the key elements of the parade -- had other priorities (Maleficent, 7 dwarves, Jack and Sally). And I didn't even know they added all that great stuff to HM. I do want to go back for the party another year, since I missed so much -- and it was great, a lot of fun, just couldn't get to everything (like any trip to WDW).

I enjoy my solo trips (and did have some family time also on this trip).

Looking forward to enjoying as many more of your photos as you are able to get around to posting (it's not like you have an overfull life at home or anything, right? -- lots of free time to play around on the computer!).

Thank you for your enthusiasm and sharing your visions with us.
After experiencing my first MNSSHP I realized that if someone wanted to experience everything the party had to offer it would require two parties. As you know my priorities were the parades, fireworks, and stage shows. I didn't line up for any of the meet and greets and still I found myself constantly on the move without a break. So much so that I didn't even get to collect any candies!!

On my full day at Disney I made an impromptu decision that morning that I really wanted to go to the party again. Unfortunately when I pulled up the ticket site online it was already sold out so that ended my little pipe dream.

I'm very happy to be sharing my trip and pictures with all of you. I tried showing a few to DW but her eyes glazed over after the second picture. She's just not that into Disney as I am. I'm working on the next update as we speak and uploading pictures on to Flickr. Hoping to post it in the next hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
That's disappointing your rental experience was poor. I enjoyed renting my lens so much that now I want the lens I rented.... My 55-200 is so soft and I've now been spoiled....
I'm hoping my next rental experience is better and I think I'm going to go with the online company you had used. This time around I used a local camera shop which for the most part I had been very pleased with when purchasing camera equipment.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #41
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

In the Big Blue World Part I

While nothing can rival Festival of the Lion King for me when it comes to stage shows at Disney World, I still enjoy the other two shows at AK so I did my best to squeeze out some time to watch them. I basically ended up touring AK piecemeal. An hour here, an hour there whether it was hopping from another park or showing up at rope drop one morning before heading out to the convention center.

I have mixed feelings about the Finding Nemo Musical. On the one hand I love the colors and production design as well as the enthusiasm the performers bring to the stage. On the other hand I’m not so hot on the musical numbers. I know they had to create all of the songs from scratch since the movie itself just had 4 bars of tune when Dori sings “Just keep swimming”. You have to admit, even that’s an earworm. I guess expecting composition in the calibers of the Lion King or Beauty and the Beast would be unfair for a production at a theme park located in middle of a Dinosaur laden carnival. But considering how well the other parts of the production are done it just gives you that feeling of what could have been.

I signed up FP+ for this viewing and I was rewarded with one of the best seats I could have asked for. I showed up at the beginning of the time window posted on my FP+ which was 15 minutes before show time. For some reason as I approached the FP+ queue entry, the CM without even a word or a question just pointed me towards the standby queue. I looked at him, showed him my Magic Band, then asked “Sorry, is this not the Fastpass plus entry?” to which he appeared to have finally woken up from his dazed state and said “Oh yes. You’re in the right place.” At that moment my mind was asking if my appearance was just not FP+ worthy enough. I placed my Magic Band against the Mickey reader and it turned green. There, I showed that CM! We were let in before the rest of the crowd and led all the way down to the front section. I ended up about the 5th row from the front and right next to the catwalk portion of the stage. It was perfect for photography. No obstruction. Not a single head in my line of sight.

As I sat there adjusting my camera settings and making sure all flash and LCD lightings were completely off, a family of four sat next to me. The younger boy was about my DS’ age and with still 10 minutes before show time was beginning to get restless as his mom struggled to try to keep him seated on the bench or her lap. So I leaned over to her and said “You know, you can try to play the “Finding Nemo” game in those bubbles on the side of the stages. That usually keeps our 4 year old in his seat until the show starts.” She laughed at first thinking I was completely making up that game on my own. I smiled back and said “No, really – Nemo does randomly swim through those bubbles.” As soon as I finished that last sentence, Nemo flashed by a bubble and she said “Oh! I just saw it!” Her son was fixated on those bubbles for the rest of the way until the show began and watching him reminded me of my DS and how much he loved this show. I’ll definitely have to bring him back to see it in January.

Once the show started everything seemed to be going at a fast pace. It sort of feels like hitting the 2x fast forward speed button on your DVR when you’re trying to skip through the commercials. The 2+ hour movie is condensed to about 35 minutes of showtime.

Peaking out from the ameno....aneno....amemonie.....oh just forget it!

IMG_9293 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I never noticed this hermit crab before. I really hope he or she has some face time during the show.

IMG_9302 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Wait. Shouldn't this part be played by that guy who played Cliff Claven from Cheers??

IMG_9318 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Wish they could have found a way for that squid to squirt ink like in the movie.

IMG_9327 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

By far my favorite performer in the musical.

IMG_9336 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce!!

IMG_9341 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I just love these sharks. They should have their own spinoff movie.

IMG_9349 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

This is one of my fav pics from this time around. I just love the wicked look the performer has.

IMG_9353 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

And only Bruce's performer can pull off this shadowy look.

IMG_9357 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Go Dori! Go Dori!

IMG_9359 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

It's your birthday! Seriously, she's my favorite. Did I already say that?

IMG_9363 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Fish are Friends and Not Food! Until one of them starts having a nose bleed then all bets are off!

IMG_9368 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9374 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I think the fish tank provides the most colorful backdrop of the entire show.

IMG_9384 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Gill in front of the glorious Mount Hockaloogie.

IMG_9387 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9396 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Okay, who made Dori sad?!? Marlin.....I'm looking at you!

IMG_9397 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I love the facial expressions on the supporting CMs in this sequence.

IMG_9404 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9409 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9410 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Continued in Next Post (I really wish DIS would let me post more than 25 pictures at a time!)

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 11-02-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #42
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

In the Big Blue World Part II

Continued from Previous Post

IMG_9418 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Here comes my favorite dance/song sequence - Go With The Flow

IMG_9426 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

There's so much going on and so many moving parts to this sequence that my camera is usually shuttering away non-stop!

IMG_9437 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9445 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Look, in the air. It's a bird! It's a Plane! It's SQUIRT!

IMG_9453 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9464 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9470 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Can't forget about the supporting CMs who dance their hearts out!

IMG_9488 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9490 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I mean, just look at that detail on the pacifier!

IMG_9492 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9494 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

And we've come to the final scene where all is well! And it always gets me a little misty in the eyes.

IMG_9508 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9307 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9321 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

During the show I couldn’t help notice the little girl who looked to be about 2 years old sitting with her family in the row in front of me. During the more emotionally heavy portions of the show, you know when everyone thinks Nemo died, she got so upset that she just started crying and sobbing. Her dad tried his best to comfort her but it was just too much for her. That reminded me of our DD who when we first took her to see this show when she was two did the exact same thing. To this day, our DD who is 7 continues to get very emotional with certain scenes. I remember when I took her to see Wreck It Ralph a couple of years ago in the theater, she started sobbing uncontrollably when Venellope appeared to be on the brink of being left behind in a video game that was crashing around her. I love how DD can react and be so emotionally invested in theater (which is why I signed her up for some theater class this fall) and watching the family in front made me think of her.

I had a blast shooting the show!

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 11-02-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #43
SAT887
DIS Veteran

So beautiful! We still haven't caught this show (or any shows.... Oh 3 is the magic age right? ) I really love your picture with Crush and the current behind him, very very cool! You had a great location with Fastpass+ somehow I need to map these all out for our Jan trip.... What lens did you shoot with here? Also, my 4 year old is so similar - sooooo emotional, we watched some Santa Paws or buddies movie the other day and she came into me bawling because there was a fire in it... With that little paragraph/thought you can see that you were missing your family : . Annnnnnnd great bubble tip, if we get there sometime soon hopefully I will remember it for my über impatient 2 year old
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #44
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
So beautiful! We still haven't caught this show (or any shows.... Oh 3 is the magic age right? ) I really love your picture with Crush and the current behind him, very very cool! You had a great location with Fastpass+ somehow I need to map these all out for our Jan trip.... What lens did you shoot with here? Also, my 4 year old is so similar - sooooo emotional, we watched some Santa Paws or buddies movie the other day and she came into me bawling because there was a fire in it... With that little paragraph/thought you can see that you were missing your family : . Annnnnnnd great bubble tip, if we get there sometime soon hopefully I will remember it for my über impatient 2 year old
Sarah, I think your children will love this show. In fact, they should like all three shows!

I've been using my big gun 70-200mm f2.8 for all stage shows lately. Just nice to have degree of close up potential. Shutter speed gave me some issues at the beginning of the show so I had to increase it and so with it my ISO which I cringe each time I turn the dial higher and higher.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #45
jkc0325
Mouseketeer

Fabulous pictures Dave!!! I feel like I was there and I've never even seen this show. Your pictures are making me wish I had brought my DSLR I chose to go with a P&S and I did get some great pictures, but now I'm thinking of what could have been. Next time I won't be so lazy, LOL.

I can't wait to see more pictures!!!

Care to give out some advice? Next week I want to shoot some pictures of my girls playing soccer but I always seem to have trouble getting good action shots. Any tips for me???

Thanks,

Jen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: