Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
boreas154
DisDads #728

Wow! Incredible teaser photos. Looking forward to your TR. I have a solo planned for like 15 months from now, so I'll grab all the hints I can from yours.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

You know I'm in!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
bsjs0708
DIS Veteran

Fantastic pics!!!

bsjs0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
sanders0460
Earning My Ears

Another follower from our DIS'er Oct facebook group!
sanders0460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Here! I can't wait to see your all your pictures!
Hi Sarah!! You're the first one here! I don't have a prize for you unfortunately but am very happy to see you here! And we both have January trips to look forward to so we can chat about that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
I'm in... Those teaser photos got me!
Welcome and thank you so much for joining in!! Hopefully those teaser photos won't turn out to be like some of those movie trailers where they show the best parts up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Here!

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!
Hi Emily! So good to have you on board for another go around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
I'm so in!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Wendy! Your trip is getting close isn't it? I'll have to live vicariously through your next trip to get me through the next 89 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
I'm in! I still can't believe that you have only been at the photography thing for such a short time. Can't wait to see all the fantastic pictures!

Christine
Hi Christine! So good to have you again! Hope I won't disappoint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Well you KNOW Dave I'm in since the S Korea trip or shortly before You had me there was no doubt about it; not just for the awesome " I'm taking you right there with me" photography but for the way you paint the experience with your words too Now that we have met, I can tell anyone that hasn't had the pleasure that you are just as warm and down to earth as you are on your reports Happy to have yet another real life nice guy Dis friend

Ruthie ( who can totally relate to the 5 hrs sleep and the gallons of coffee )
Ruthie, it was such a pleasure meeting you yesterday! Hopefully we'll get to do again soon not later. Thank you so much for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Dave, I can't wait to see the rest of this TR. I realize you're a hobby photographer and in the process of getting a side business going, but I have to say that these teaser photos look amazing and very professional. Any of them would look like they belong on the pages of a Disney brochure or book. I really look forward to seeing the rest of what you have!
Welcome back Andy! Thank you for the kind words about my pictures! Hopefully the rest of the pictures come out okay as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterMom View Post
I'm in! Following from our FB DISers group. I've been seeing all your pics there, and I just had to come over to see the whole thing!
Welcome!! So good to see my FB DIS friends from the October Page! I really enjoyed the company on that page!

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDial View Post
Thanks to Ruthie for the link to here. I am in. I am not to far from Ruthie but life prevents me from being there as much as i want to.

Photos look great. Love doing the long exposures shots especially at night in the parks when they are almost empty.

I see you are coming back in January. When will that be? I will be up there for the Disney Marathon weekend. It would be nice to meet up and do photo walks around the world if schedules permit.
Welcome!! And thank you for joining in!

We are slated to return to Disney during the last week of January so I think we'll miss each other. But I'm always up for a DIS meet and would love to have company for some photography!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Thanks for joining in again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunkistJoy View Post
Hopping over from our FB group. Was already following along...just making it official. Love your pics!
Welcome! And yeaaa for the October DIS FB page and friends! So happy to see you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc0325 View Post
Hey Dave...followed over from the DisOct group. I'm impressed that you have only started up photography in the last year or so. The pictures I've seen so far are simply amazing. Can't wait to see more!!!

Jen
Hi Jen!! I'm so excited to have my friends from the FB October DIS page here and very happy to have you join in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Hi Dave, I'm really looking forward to your report, particularly due to the solo nature of it. I did my very first earlier this year and have a second booked this coming December, so I'm particularly interested in that aspect of your trip.

Not to mention the beyond amazing photos you take. My Good God they're fabulous!!
Welcome and thanks for joining in! This was my very first solo to WDW so I learned a lot about touring the parks by myself. I had a lot of fun doing it although I missed my family during certain times of the day. And thank you for the kind words about my pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreas154 View Post
Wow! Incredible teaser photos. Looking forward to your TR. I have a solo planned for like 15 months from now, so I'll grab all the hints I can from yours.
Welcome and Thank you!! Please feel free to ask away any questions about going solo to the parks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
You know I'm in!
Hi Kristy! I had a great time meeting you and your family for both Hallowishes and dinner at BOG! Hope the rest of your stay was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjs0708 View Post
Fantastic pics!!!
Thank you!! And welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders0460 View Post
Another follower from our DIS'er Oct facebook group!
Welcome! Thanks for following over and am very happy to see you here!

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #22
SunDial
Where Are The Umbrella Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch

Welcome!! And thank you for joining in!

We are slated to return to Disney during the last week of January so I think we'll miss each other. But I'm always up for a DIS meet and would love to have company for some photography!

Thanks for joining in again!
Sounds like a plan for a two week turn around trip I live 2 1/2 south of Disney and have made many one day trips. Parents first trip took the family not long after Disney World opened. Yes i am showing the age First time seeing anything Disney in person was at the 1964/65 New York Worlds Fair. I was 5 then.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDial View Post
Sounds like a plan for a two week turn around trip I live 2 1/2 south of Disney and have made many one day trips. Parents first trip took the family not long after Disney World opened. Yes i am showing the age First time seeing anything Disney in person was at the 1964/65 New York Worlds Fair. I was 5 then.
That's not far at all! Ok, once I get my touring and park plans straightened out for my family and my brother's family (yes, one family wasn't enough for making Disney plans so I'm working on two!), I'll take a look at the park hours and see if there's a time I could split off from the gang for a few hours for some photography touring.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Grim Grinning Ghosts Come Out to Socialize!

Happy Halloween Everyone!!

Being Halloween today I thought it would be perfectly fitting to make my first TR update post be about the one and only Haunted Mansion! Ok, now that I think about that statement theres really more than one. How many Disney Parks are out there now? But you get the idea.

Theres something special about visiting the famed Mansion during Halloween season and especially during MNSSHP. This being my first MNSSHP I made plans of visiting the Gracey residence during the party. The Ghost Host and his friends of Happy Haunts are hosting this shindig after all. Isnt it polite to say hello to the hosts and hostesses when you enter a party? Which is what I did. Well, I may have snuck in a ride with the pirates on my way to the Mansion but that can be forgiven, right? It is a long walk from the train station to HM.

So for those of you who have never been what would be different about the HM at MNSSHP? That was the very question I wanted answers to. I must have spent a good 50 minutes total at the HM. I got there at dusk around 6:30pm and ended up going on the ride twice. By the time my second go through was over, nighttime settled in. At the strike of 7pm, the bells tolled all over Magic Kingdom thanks to some very well placed speakers letting everyone know that the Party had begun (and everyone without a wristband need to get out now! Boy, they have a very aggressive system of screening for non-party goers to get them out of the park) and the Mansion came to life with Happy Haunts materializing!

Here's a "time-series" of pictures of the Mansion as we approached the party start time!

Not so spooky yet.

IMG_0024 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Spookier......

IMG_0046-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Party Time!

IMG_0058 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I LOVED how the CMs dressed up their looks for the occasion. The CMs at the Mansion always carry a grim mood on their faces which is them staying in character. I mean seriously, what's there to smile about when you know you have a crazed homicidal ghost of a woman living in the attic who enjoys the occasional decapitation. Sometimes they're so effective I start wondering if I did something to offend them when they greet me with a grimace or a scowl.

Anyway, the servants took it up a notch for the party. I had to quickly get over my personal awkwardness and shyness about photographing portraits of complete strangers because the servants' appearances were just so priceless. From the looks of it they're pretty used to it as a lot of people walked up to the entrance of the FP+ queue to ask for pictures. This is the two I got. I asked the maid if I could take a picture of her and she gave me the perfect dead-eyed pose! This is my favorite picture from the HM!

IMG_0056 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I was too intimidated earlier to ask for a straight on portrait of this servant so kept my distance.

IMG_0030 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I didn't get to chat much with the servants but one of the non-HM CMs who were standing in front of the entrance checking everyones wrist bands did notice the t-shirt I was wearing for the occasion. He asked where I got it from and I told him that I bought it from Mouse Street USA.

The interactive portion of the queue remained the same.

IMG_9931 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9932 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9933 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Actually most people just sort of breezed on through. One of the servants slightly hid himself from view as we exited the interactive queue portion and then would quietly slide behind guests and stand there until one of the guests would inevitably turn around and scream at the ghostly face staring right in front of them.

Here he is sneaking up behind a group of teenagers. I stayed back to watch.

IMG_9934 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The fog was filling in and spilling over the graveyards. Very cool effects if you ask me.

Poor Fred.

IMG_0064 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0068 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I seem to have a picture of this particular headstone from every trip. Hmmmm, I wonder why.

IMG_0061 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Even the Pet Cemetery had the fog going.

IMG_0049 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I think the Haunted Mansion has one of the most ardent fan following of all of the attractions at Disney World. This was very evident both times when I entered the stretching room. Each time I found myself standing next to a guest who knew every line from the Ghost Hosts welcoming remarks and reciting them along down to the sinister laugh. And each time I couldnt help smile. During our past trips Ive been trying to get DD to come along for a ride on the Doom Buggy and each time she absolutely refused. Shes been a lot more curious about HM the past few months so I think I can get her to join me on our next trip but the stretching room is the part that always worries me for DD. Heres the only portrait in the room I got on my camera - in honor of one of our DIS friends, Abbybeth

IMG_9937 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The ride itself was the same unlike the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland where they do the Nightmare Before Christmas theming. But I still love this ride. Even though the ride gave me fits as I exited and looked through the images on my camera only to find out that pretty much every image was either underexposed or out of focus, I still came out of the building humming the tune to Grim Grinning Ghosts

As for the pictures, even with my low light fast lens that I rented for the trip (f stop of 1.4 for you photographers out there) it was just about impossible to grab the shots I really wanted. The holy grail continues to be the hitchhiking ghosts as my attempts this time around came woefully underexposed. I did get one shot that had eluded me in the past which was all of the singing busts in the same frame. One of these days Ill finally luck out and get it. Anyway, here are the shots that did come out ok.

IMG_9949 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9959 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9965 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0071-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The second time I came out, Madame Renata had taken her seat in the front lawn of the Mansion. I think thats her name. Its either Renata or Carlotta. As best as I can tell, Renata holds a fan and Carlotta holds the umbrella. Help me out here HM fans!

IMG_0094-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0093 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Anyway, this lady was an absolute hoot. I stood there for 10 minutes with a handful of other people. Most of the other guests were more focused on lining up to get their Magic Shot picture of the carriage. Madame Renata would chat with the guests cracking jokes about her Gracey cousins. It was very interactive and I probably could have stood there all night watching and listening in on the conversations she had with all of the guests.

One guest confused her as Constance (The Bride) which led to a hilarious rebuke by Renata that she does NOT find pleasure in collecting heads. The best interaction came when Renata overhead one of the guests making their way through the ride queue ask another guest "Is she a real person?" Renata yelled out "Honey, (pointing out her entire body with her hands) this is aaaaaaaall real." Then she proceeded to pretend to be an animatronic for a full minute just to confuse the other guests walking through the queue which involved her sitting very very still without so much of a blink and turning her head and neck slowly from one side to the other and back.

Here is animatronic Renata turning her head to the right.

IMG_0096 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

And here's animatronic Renata turning her head to the left.

IMG_0098 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

She eventually broke out into laughter saying she fooled a couple of the visitors walking by.

IMG_0100 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

It was eventually time to leave as the parade time was nearing but I was so glad to have done this at the beginning of the party. It really put me in the right mood for the rest of the evening.

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 11-01-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
SAT887
DIS Veteran

These are soooo awesome- you truly have a great natural talent. I think I'm going to have to go stalk your Flickr account to get a better view of these. I love the one of the gravestone and fog creeping out.

I also have to agree, the HM CMs are the best, and I think they take their ominous foreboding style of character very seriously (better than ToT I think!) and I am amazed at the straight faces they keep. I also love the cobwebs!! We were only able to sneak on this 1x on our trip during the day.... It's one of my all time favs, so I don't want to scare my munchkins too much (this year was waaaaaay better than last December!)

I look forward to more pictures and I do enjoy your commentary as well!
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

OMG! Your pictures are incredible! I ran into the same problem as you
, tasking tons of pictures but only part of them are any good. I got a DSLR camera last year but I am not even close to mastering it. We just got back from WDW on Sunday. We went to MNSSHP and my pictures are all blurry. I have four headless horseman pictures and none are any good. Fireworks, forget it! My major pro lem is night shots. I still don't shoot in manual mode. I find it difficult. I am hoping to take more classes at the camera shop. I seem to learn better by being shown. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pictures!

2014 Old Key West 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas
2012 Wilderness Lodge
BELLE & THE 3 BEASTS JUNE 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post45239041
2007 Wilderness Lodge
August 2007 Dining Review http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1556109

2003 Wilderness Lodge
2000 All Star Movies 1998 Fort Wilderness Cabins
1993 Caribbean Beach 1985 Polynesian - Honeymoon1976/1979 Fort Wilderness campground
POLY1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
I also have to agree, the HM CMs are the best, and I think they take their ominous foreboding style of character very seriously (better than ToT I think!) and I am amazed at the straight faces they keep. I also love the cobwebs!! We were only able to sneak on this 1x on our trip during the day.... It's one of my all time favs, so I don't want to scare my munchkins too much (this year was waaaaaay better than last December!)
I agree with you that the HM CMs are more ominous than ToT CMs. In fact, I think the ToT CMs tend to be more humorous with their interactions. I have some stories to tell about the ToT CMs because they had me laughing and made the queue a fun experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLY1985 View Post
OMG! Your pictures are incredible! I ran into the same problem as you
, tasking tons of pictures but only part of them are any good. I got a DSLR camera last year but I am not even close to mastering it. We just got back from WDW on Sunday. We went to MNSSHP and my pictures are all blurry. I have four headless horseman pictures and none are any good. Fireworks, forget it! My major pro lem is night shots. I still don't shoot in manual mode. I find it difficult. I am hoping to take more classes at the camera shop. I seem to learn better by being shown. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pictures!
Welcome!! Thanks for joining in and for the compliments!

I'm with you about taking pictures at MNSSHP. I wasn't expecting the Boo To You Parade to be so darkly lit especially over at Frontierland. So I ended up setting up the tripod out on Main Street for the second parade and that helped a just a bit. The Headless Horseman was the most difficult shot because not only was it dark but he was trotting along so quickly.

If you see any pictures that you would like to find out the settings I used on my camera, feel free to PM me or post on the thread! Would be happy to share!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #28
SunDial
Where Are The Umbrella Hats

Main Street was lit much better for the parade. At least in the hub where I was at.

This was hand held although I did have my tripod with me for the fireworks. It was on shutter priority. 1/100 ISO 6400 with the 24-70 2.8
Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #29
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh! How did I fall behind when you just started? What an amazing start and I love the first post on Halloween being filled with HM fun for the party! Your photos with the progression from light to dark are amazing!!

This is better than a Mickey treat! I'm so looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip and of course the fabulous photos.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #30
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Amazing shots, as expected. Can't believe that even with your f1.4 it was still so dark in HM! I've never really tried to take very much in there. If I get my new lens in time I'll have to try some too! Hahaha
I love HM anyway, but it really does get even better at the Halloween party. The interactions with the cms around there are pretty awesome too!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: