Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #151
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I love these! The electrical parade is my favorite. I grew up going to Disneyland in California so this was a staple of my youth. Your shots are outstanding and that is truly a perfect location! I missed the waffle two times now. maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I couldn't have asked for a better spot. I was surprised how not crowded it was in that area but I guess that's to be expected for a second parade.

Before the trip I was intent on trying the nutella waffle that everyone seems to be raving about. But at 10:30pm it just sounded too heavy. So went with the strawberry one instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Wow! Amazing Indy photographs!! They look like they are for a layout for the stunt show!! I liked your "Shiny" comment.... Hehehe I'm often distracted by shiny pretty things!

Also, MSEP! We did this last December and loved it! We stumbled upon a spot right in Liberty Square by mistake. It was fantastic. Also, love the patriotic shots! We were lucky enough to get one decent one from my iPhone last December. We were vacationing with a member of the military and I know they appreciated the display of support

Can't wait to see more!
Thanks Sarah! In January I hope that I can be less distracted by shiny things in the Indy show and more focused on fireballs and boulders.

I think the last float of MSEP ends it on a perfect note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
I'll try to refrain from my normal Spectromagic (R.I.P.) vs MSEP to focus just on your glorious photos.

It's things like this that really make me wish you could FP+ in more than one park a day. I so want to FP this parade, but all my FP's are used in a different park earlier in the day.

It looks like you got a great spot anyway though. At the risk of divulging my favourite spot, it's down in Liberty Square right around where the stockades are located. What makes it great is it's a turning point for the parade, so you get it head on and also from the side. OK I've said too much!
I was fortunate enough to have caught Spectromagic once way back when it was available.

I know exactly the spot in Liberty Square you speak of because a couple of years ago I watched it from that location during a late night MK tour after the rest of the family went to bed. It's a great spot as you said because the route turns right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigs3 View Post
What a perfect spot with the castle in the background! Your pictures of the parade are beautiful!
Thank you! I really liked how well the castle worked especially with Cinderella's coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuck4Life View Post
Great shots of the parade. This is my favorite parade as well. Probably because it was the first night time parade I ever saw makes it extra special. Nice location for the parade. I really love the shot of the train approaching with the castle in the background.

I was disappointed when we saw MSEP because the train was missing. I guess the train was not working that day for some reason. Mickey and Minnie were just walking down the street. I was let down that the main icon float was not there.

Sounds like a fun night grabbing a table and snack to relax a little and people watch. That is something that's hard to do when traveling with the family.
I'm with ya. Childhood nostalgia is definitely a huge part of this parade. And I agree that a MSEP without the train just wouldn't be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Amazing photos of MSEP! I've seen this show so many times in passing but have never stopped to really enjoy it until last trip. Seeing as how it was dark and I was not in a great spot your awesome photos show the details that I failed to see.

Your Indy Stunt Show photos catch the action so well. Too bad about missing your shot of the giant boulder. Darn! I haven't seen this show since 2006 and I have to say that I haven't really missed it.
Thanks Brenda! I think I can sit through the Indy show again at least one more time since I have a few pictures I want to try to get. Also I'm very curious to see how our kids will react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suziannie View Post
Best TR ever! I recently bought a nicer camera and am really enjoying learning more about photography. I know my trip photos won't be this nice on our next trip (it's in two weeks) but maybe by the next one.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Thank you for following and am so happy to hear that you're enjoying it! I hope you're able to enjoy your new camera at Disney in your upcoming trip! It's such a wonderful place to explore photography.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #152
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

I agree with you that Epcot is hard with young kids. I also seem to struggle with it with adults too though, I guess it's a lot of walking for anyone!

Oh and I think we got the half of the World Showcase you didn't get! So between the two of starting on opposite sides, I think we have it covered!

Wow, the bird show looked very awesome! You got some great shots! It is pretty amazing what they can learn to do!

Love the Indy show! I was a volunteer once...definitely a good time! The frustration of people walking in front of your perfectly timed picture is such a headache! Hope you get it next time! You got a lot of other great action shots!

Your MSEP pics are awe-inspiring! They came out so great! I really love the castle in the background! You really hit those ones out of the park!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

princess_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #153
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
I agree with you that Epcot is hard with young kids. I also seem to struggle with it with adults too though, I guess it's a lot of walking for anyone!

Oh and I think we got the half of the World Showcase you didn't get! So between the two of starting on opposite sides, I think we have it covered!

Wow, the bird show looked very awesome! You got some great shots! It is pretty amazing what they can learn to do!

Love the Indy show! I was a volunteer once...definitely a good time! The frustration of people walking in front of your perfectly timed picture is such a headache! Hope you get it next time! You got a lot of other great action shots!

Your MSEP pics are awe-inspiring! They came out so great! I really love the castle in the background! You really hit those ones out of the park!
Thanks Kimmy!

It's funny about touring the World Showcase. For some reason in our past trips we have always started with Canada and worked our way around counter clockwise. Probably because we used to start our WS tour with a lunch at Le Cellier. Of course we usually call it a day after only half way through so those countries after the American pavilion have traditionally been neglected by us and we never ever made it to Mexico. That's why I decided to buck the trend and start on the opposite end which I'm glad I did. Plus all the boat rides are on that side of the lake.

Can't wait to see how your tour of WS went on your TR!

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #154
jkc0325
Mouseketeer

Dave, you did it again!! Those are amazing pictures! I could hear the music in my mind as I looked at the pictures. I'm so jealous that Cinderella actually looked your way for a picture. Characters always seem to be looking away from me at the exact moment I want to take their picture. Too shy I guess

Sorry about missing your boulder shot. That is the story of my photography life. Last year at my girls recital I seemed to have that happen during every one of my girls' dances. So annoying. Of course, I didn't set up my camera settings very well so all the pictures came out horrible anyway. White backdrop for a dance recital = very tough for a beginner.

Thanks for another fabulous installment. I hope your kids enjoy the show. My girls are a bit older, but they loved it a couple years ago. This year we did the stunt show and they loved that as well.

Can't wait for more pictures!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #155
Paradise18
DIS Veteran

Oh to have your talent behind a lens. Your pictures are gorgeous.
Paradise18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #156
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Beautiful pictures of the parade! It looks like you had a really amazing spot. I'll have to keep that in mind for future trips. I used to be all about seeing everything from Main Street, but have become a total Frontierland convert after recent trips. Never tried seeing it from Liberty Square, but it looks like you can get some great views there and still have the Castle in the background.

It's probably good you did not see it the same night we did. We didn't realize it until the parade was almost over, but there was no train title float! I don't think it dawned on us until we saw Mickey & Minnie walking at the back of the parade and realized they are usually riding on the train.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #157
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Indiana Jones 4 reference, nice. What an atrocious movie. I actually went to the theater to see it, and the entire time was just like "whaaaaaa?"

Boulder shot ruined by a family of heads! That's the worst.

Wow, that wasn't a figurative banana suit, huh?

I love the MSEP. It's extremely nostalgic for me, and I too love the synthesizer voice. I may listen to it on my iPod all the time. :good vibes

I'm glad to hear that you got a waffle from Sleepy Hollow, because I would have been extremely disappointed if you were right there and didn't get anything.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #158
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc0325 View Post
Sorry about missing your boulder shot. That is the story of my photography life. Last year at my girls recital I seemed to have that happen during every one of my girls' dances. So annoying. Of course, I didn't set up my camera settings very well so all the pictures came out horrible anyway. White backdrop for a dance recital = very tough for a beginner.

Thanks for another fabulous installment. I hope your kids enjoy the show. My girls are a bit older, but they loved it a couple years ago. This year we did the stunt show and they loved that as well.

Can't wait for more pictures!!!
Thanks Jen! I'm with you. Everytime I see pictures of MSEP I can hear the pleasant music coming through.

As much as I wanted the boulder shot, it actually gives me something to look forward to for the next showing of Indy.

I think the most difficult thing about photographing stage performances is all the different colored lighting. It just completely confuses the camera's auto white balance. On top of that the bright white center spotlight also messes with the metering process because it's so much brighter than the rest of the stage. I always shoot in RAW these days for staged performances because I know I'll have to go back to Lightroom and readjust the white balance manually.

I'm contemplating whether we should make time for the car stunt show this January since rumors are abound that the show may go away soon to make room for Cars Land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise18 View Post
Oh to have your talent behind a lens. Your pictures are gorgeous.
Thank you so much for the kind words! And thank you for following!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Beautiful pictures of the parade! It looks like you had a really amazing spot. I'll have to keep that in mind for future trips. I used to be all about seeing everything from Main Street, but have become a total Frontierland convert after recent trips. Never tried seeing it from Liberty Square, but it looks like you can get some great views there and still have the Castle in the background.

It's probably good you did not see it the same night we did. We didn't realize it until the parade was almost over, but there was no train title float! I don't think it dawned on us until we saw Mickey & Minnie walking at the back of the parade and realized they are usually riding on the train.
Ohhhh, didn't realize they made Mickey and Minnie walk near the end of the parade. I blame all of this on Goofy. I bet he crashed the train into a tree Barnstormer style.

I love watching parades from Frontier Land or Liberty Square! Usually not crowded and it definitely gives you a different flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Indiana Jones 4 reference, nice. What an atrocious movie. I actually went to the theater to see it, and the entire time was just like "whaaaaaa?"

Boulder shot ruined by a family of heads! That's the worst.

Wow, that wasn't a figurative banana suit, huh?

I love the MSEP. It's extremely nostalgic for me, and I too love the synthesizer voice. I may listen to it on my iPod all the time. :good vibes

I'm glad to hear that you got a waffle from Sleepy Hollow, because I would have been extremely disappointed if you were right there and didn't get anything.
I don't know how anyone could resist the waffle after smelling the sweetness for 30 minutes. Resistance was definitely futile.

I saw Indy 4 in the theaters too. The moment of "Whaaaaaa?" for me happened in the scene when Shia Labeouf is swinging along the vines and trees with a bunch of monkeys while being chased by the Russians. There was no recovering from that.

I have urges to listen to the soundtrack of MSEP. But then I know I'll be humming that tune non-stop for the next 7 days and drive DW up the wall in the process.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #159
TheGreyStuff
Earning My Ears

Referred from our October group. Thanks so much for these amazing photos, Dave. I'm very envious of your solo trip! Perhaps someday I can have one too, .or at least just my DH and me

I especially enjoyed your photos at HM and MSEP, both favorites of mine. Unfortunately, I missed the Gracey cousins during MNSSHP, so it wwas great seeing you capture her.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #160
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyStuff View Post
Referred from our October group. Thanks so much for these amazing photos, Dave. I'm very envious of your solo trip! Perhaps someday I can have one too, .or at least just my DH and me

I especially enjoyed your photos at HM and MSEP, both favorites of mine. Unfortunately, I missed the Gracey cousins during MNSSHP, so it wwas great seeing you capture her.
Thank you for coming over! Great to have you here. I've got more pictures on the way. I think I'm just about 1/4 of the way through all of the pictures.

I had a great time with my solo trip but I'm almost sure that another one won't happen for awhile. An adult only trip is very unlikely as well since DW is not as into Disney as I am.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #161
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Great job, Dave! I'm sorry your ideal spot was taken, but your backup looks like it was just as good. The castle in the background of the shots is really a neat touch. Well done!

Oh... and congratulation on your ability to resist the siren song of Sleepy Hollow. At least until after the parade was over.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #162
MEK
DIS Veteran

Subbing in even though I am ridiculously behind on the DIS boards. We were at the world at the same time.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #163
geckodani
DIS Veteran

Wow. That's all I've got. Wow. Seriously, your pics are amazing. The ones of MSEP had me tearing up at my desk - I swear I could hear the music playing!
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #164
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Great job, Dave! I'm sorry your ideal spot was taken, but your backup looks like it was just as good. The castle in the background of the shots is really a neat touch. Well done!

Oh... and congratulation on your ability to resist the siren song of Sleepy Hollow. At least until after the parade was over.
In hindsight I think I ended up liking my Sleepy Hollow spot a lot more than the FP+ hub location. At the hub I may have had a tougher time fitting in the castle in its entirety in my pictures.

Yep, it was a test of will trying not to leave my spot to grab a waffle. Good pictures vs. sugary goodness. Good pictures won out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Subbing in even though I am ridiculously behind on the DIS boards. We were at the world at the same time.
Welcome!! Happy to have you on-board! Hope you had a good trip in October as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post
Wow. That's all I've got. Wow. Seriously, your pics are amazing. The ones of MSEP had me tearing up at my desk - I swear I could hear the music playing!
Thank you and Welcome!! I think this crop of pictures of MSEP are one of my favorites from this trip. I have some pictures that are upcoming in future posts including FotLK, Dream Along with Mickey, and my pictures from Tower of Terror that I would rank slightly above them. (A little teaser for coming attractions )

Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #165
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Street Scenes: Animal Kingdom Asia Edition

There are so many things to look at in Animal Kingdom and every building, corner, and alley is filled with small details that are easy to miss but when combined produces the atmosphere that is uniquely Disney. I think this is especially true in the Asia section. During past trips a lot of these details and theming went by in a flash as we hustled to the next show or ride. So I made it a point during this trip to take a slower stroll through Asia.

Riiiiiight after I finished my ride on Everest. Priorities, people. Thereís no way I could walk through Asia without a Yeti sighting. If you followed my last trip report you saw the extremely (and I mean EXTREMELY) lucky shot I got of Mr. Disco Yeti. I wasnít so lucky this time as all of my shots were not in sync with the strobe lights. I still had a great time on that runaway train and the scenes leading up to it. Like ToT, I have rarely in the past used the standby queue so I spent some extra time in the queue scoping out some of the details.

Everest looked especially inviting this day.

IMG_8565 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

You see that little booklet hanging behind the statue? Itís actually exists in the real world! I googled it and sure enough the author is a famous mountain climber.

IMG_8539 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I found this poster quite amusing because it really didnít say what kind of meat or food is packaged in that can. Could it be that they are selling Yeti meat??? Does it taste like chicken? Yeeesh. Well at least itís hygienic!!

IMG_8541 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Iím in the process of trying to talk DD into going on this with me in January. Sheís tall enough but last year she refused to go on it after watching the drop from the viewing location. So Iíve been slowly grinding away for the past 10 months trying to convince her that itís a fun coaster. I think Iím making some headway. Sheís mostly worried about Mr. Yeti. Iíve even told her that the Yeti is really frozen due to the extreme cold temperatures and canít move so she has nothing to worry about.

How my brain felt after a single ride on the Expedition served as a reminder that I am now a middle aged man. The ground wouldnít stop spinning for a couple of minutes and I had to lean up against a post in the gift shop for a couple of minutes. While doing so I happened to look up and saw this.

IMG_8560 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I donít think I noticed before that this shop was themed as a supply store. Cute. So I had to take a picture even though the room seemed to be spinning slowly and with it my camera aim. Thank goodness for Image Stabilizers!

Also during my prolonged stay in the gift shop I noticed the small Yetis they were selling in the toy section. So naturally I grabbed one to purchase thinking I could give it to one of my kids as a souvenir from this trip. By the time I approached the cashier the cobwebs in my head cleared up and I realized I was making a huge mistake. So I went back to the shelf and grabbed a second Yeti. Seriously, what was I thinking? I was inviting weeks of arguing and fussing between the two children on who gets to play with the one Yeti I brought home.

It was time to start my slow stroll through Asia. Itís amazing how many abandoned vehicles line the streets. There are wagons packed to the brim and just sitting there waiting to be taken. Then there are the numerous snack locations. I donít think I truly appreciated exactly how many snack and drink stations Disney built and positioned throughout the parks until this trip. Normally the only time Iím paying attention to these is when DD and DS is in dire need of a drink because their dad made them go attraction to attraction non-stop. Whatís even more amazing is the extent Disney went to design a lot of these little huts and shacks. Sure they still have the vendors out there with just a cart and an umbrella but many of the other vendors are situated in permanent structures.

Hereís one example that I just happened to stumble onto after crossing the bridge into Asia from Discovery Island. Itís sort of tucked away in the corner so it makes sense that I hadnít noticed it before. Plus I think I crossed that bridge maybe twice all together before this trip. Speaking of the bridge I found these cool carvings on one of the pillars of the bridge.

IMG_9551 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Anyway, I had to look up the name of this snack location after I got home. Drinkwallah. All they sell are drinks and some assorted fruit cups. But I just loved what they did with this place.

Not sure what those things are hanging down from the roof. They sort of remind me of the ďfruitsĒ from Monsters Inc . but Iím pretty sure thatís not it.

IMG_9556 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Another abandoned wagon next to Drinkwallah. This one happens to have lots of Coke on it.

IMG_9557 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Ok. Maybe Drinkwallah is sort of like a giant billboard for the Coca Cola company. Still very cool. Like Club Cool.

IMG_9560 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I probably should have gotten a drink from there to commemorate the occasion but I had a pretty full bottle of water still on my backpack so I was still good from the hydration standpoint.

A tour of Asia wouldnít be complete without a trek through the Tiger Trails.

IMG_9564 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Not sure what the definition of "frequently" is in this Asian country because I rarely get to see the said tigers. Still the rest of the trail is filled with other interesting animals and I just love the design of the trail that transports you to the jungles of Asia.

Have no idea what these plants are called but they look so other worldly.

IMG_9566 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9571 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The temple ruins are my favorite part about these trails.

IMG_9574 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The infectious disease doctor in me shudders at the mere image of this.

IMG_9577 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The bat cave (as I call it even though itís really not a cave) is always a fun visit for me. These were one of the bat sculptures lining the top of the entrance.

IMG_9568 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Oh and the Tibetan Prayer Flags. I love these and they are so much fun to photograph.

IMG_9579 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_9584 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Finally the bird sanctuary is one of my kids' favorite part of the trail. This was right above the exit of the sanctuary.

IMG_9588 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Now that I've gone through all these pictures I'm coming to the realization that some how I managed not to take a single photo of an actual animal on this ANIMAL TRAIL! Not even the Komodo Dragon which usually just sits out in the open like a sack of potatoes for all to see. I'll try to do a better job in January of photographing the animals but we all know that all I'm going to end up with is another 100 pictures of the prayer flags.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: