Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #136
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Aw Dave did you have to go and remind me of the atrocity that was Indiana Jones 4? I've tried to remove that from memory.
We must never forget the wrongs that Lucas has forced on our precious childhood memories in the last 10 years. Ok, Spielberg had a hand in it too but I'm just going to blame George.

Quote:
Haha, my fav part of the entire show is the "plant". I so enjoy watching the audience to see if they figure it out or they really think this poor guy is getting the crap kicked out of him.
That raises a good question. Just how long on average does it take an average viewer of the show to realize that Disney would never sanction such a liable situation.

Quote:
Um... that one kick photo... OUCH!!!! Sometimes great photography is tough to look at.
Yeah I agree. Sometimes too much zoom is not good. Wait till you see the one picture I have of Hook and Smee from Dream Along with Mickey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixleyyy View Post
GORGEOUS photos! This makes me want to take more time for photography on my upcoming visits. Can't wait to see more!
Thank you!! I hope I get another chance visiting Disney where I'll have the time and leisure to focus on photography.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #137
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Gotta ask about the camera equipment. You seem to get a lot of range from your lens. What are you shooting with?
pixleyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #138
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixleyyy View Post
Gotta ask about the camera equipment. You seem to get a lot of range from your lens. What are you shooting with?
My camera body is a Canon 7D. During this trip I used a 17-55mm f2.8 as my walk-around lens and my 70-200mm f2.8 for the staged shows and other close up photography. I rented a 35mm f1.4 but I'm convinced there was a defect in the lens I received because I just didn't have the same experience that others have reviewed and reported.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #139
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Initially I was planning on doing this one during the private event. But after I finished checking in on arrival day I realized I had a couple of hours I could try to squeeze out in the parks before my dinner ressie at bluezoo. So I headed out to DHS and decided to knock this one out to make more time for ToT at the private event later in the evening.
I'm glad it worked out that way for you. I love the Indiana Jones show (even though I haven't seen it since 2008), but it takes a while and I'd hate to waste valuable private party time doing it.

Quote:
There was one girl who I think said was visiting from Scotland that was wearing a giant banana costume as were the rest of her extended family in the stands.

Apparently someone really wanted to stand out and be picked for the show?

Quote:
YES! Indy! In his young and glory days. And before all that alien skull and hiding in a refrigerator from a nuclear blast non-sense.
There were parts of that movie that I liked.

Quote:
I was eagerly awaiting for the giant boulder to rumble its way on to the stage and I swear at that exact moment when Indy and the boulder magically filled my viewfinder, a family of four decided that it was the best time to enter the theater and walk down the row in front of me.

Quote:
I think my kids would actually enjoy this one. Not knowing what was in the show we had been keeping them away from it because DD gets frightened easily. But it’s heavy on cool action and the live aspect of it will keep them entertained.
I've been afraid of taking the kids just because it is such a long show and you know how a toddler's attention span is. DS is old enough now that I know he'd love the action. We'd just have to bring his earmuffs to keep the explosion noise down... that's the one thing that would freak him out. I think we'll definitely need to go see it next time we're there.

Quote:
But I don’t think the behind the scenes stuff works very well anymore considering how most of the modern special effects are now digitally created and a lot of the things they show at DHS are very outdated at this point.
I actually think it works well. I realize there's a lot of CGI stuff these days and less "real fire" effects, but it is still cool to see how they made these kinds of scenes. I mean Raiders is a classic that is still very popular and seeing how it was made is a fun diversion.

And besides, a stunt show where you go through the motions fighting an invisible foe in front of a green screen wouldn't be anywhere near as entertaining.

Quote:
Hope you enjoyed the picture show!
I certainly did!
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #140
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
One of these days the henchmen will finally come to the realization. "Hey, instead of us attacking our target one at a time how about we try swarming him all at the same time!"
OMG YES!! I think this ALL THE TIME during movies and TV shows. Yes, of course each bad guy is going to wait their turn while the hero is manhandling their buddy...

I haven't seen the Indy show in quite a long time. Not even really because of DS, although that's probably been our excuse, but because it's old news after seeing it a couple of times.

Although we probably won't be back to see it any time soon, you did manage to get some really amazing shots. It's not like the show is really terrible or anything, just can get repetitive especially when you know the shtick. What a bummer about that family ruining your boulder shot!!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #141
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

Apparently someone really wanted to stand out and be picked for the show?

I didn't quite connect the two but she looks exactly like the dancing banana emoticon we have here on DIS!

Quote:
I've been afraid of taking the kids just because it is such a long show and you know how a toddler's attention span is. DS is old enough now that I know he'd love the action. We'd just have to bring his earmuffs to keep the explosion noise down... that's the one thing that would freak him out. I think we'll definitely need to go see it next time we're there.
I think I'm going to go for it with the kids in January. I'm pretty sure DS4 will eat it up and I think even DD7 will find it entertaining. With DS turning 4 I'm starting to find a lot of our outings to be easier so I think his attention will hold for the duration of the show.

Quote:
I actually think it works well. I realize there's a lot of CGI stuff these days and less "real fire" effects, but it is still cool to see how they made these kinds of scenes. I mean Raiders is a classic that is still very popular and seeing how it was made is a fun diversion.
I loved the action sequences and fireballs! I should have been more specific in that what I could have done without was the whole facade of them making it look like they're actually doing a movie filming with having a director and camera set up. If they just came out with a host and explained the special effects in between the scene changes I think I would have perfectly content.

Quote:
And besides, a stunt show where you go through the motions fighting an invisible foe in front of a green screen wouldn't be anywhere near as entertaining.
Very very true. But on the flip side it would be the most entertaining mime show ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
OMG YES!! I think this ALL THE TIME during movies and TV shows. Yes, of course each bad guy is going to wait their turn while the hero is manhandling their buddy...

I haven't seen the Indy show in quite a long time. Not even really because of DS, although that's probably been our excuse, but because it's old news after seeing it a couple of times.

Although we probably won't be back to see it any time soon, you did manage to get some really amazing shots. It's not like the show is really terrible or anything, just can get repetitive especially when you know the shtick. What a bummer about that family ruining your boulder shot!!
Yeah I can see myself getting a little Indy fatigue after about the third time or so. For the next showing my focus is getting the perfect boulder shot!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #142
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Imagination in Thousands of Sparkling Lights

On this particular evening there were two showings of MSEP thanks to some extended late night park hours. I decided to watch the second one hoping that it would be less crowded which it was. I was also hoping to find a spot where the Castle would serve as a backdrop for most of my pictures. By the time I arrived at the Hub all the spot was taken except the large swath of roped off area reserved for the Fastpass+ folks. I sadly was not one of those lucky few with FP+ for this event. So I kept walking towards Liberty Square.

As soon as I crossed the bridge a perfect spot was awaiting for me right across from Sleepy Hollow which was not crowded at all even by the time the parade started. I made a mental note to remember this spot for our future trips. The hardest part was standing and waiting. The sweet smell of sugary goodness that was emanating from Sleepy Hollow was not helping matters either and I was kicking myself for not grabbing a treat before I positioned myself. Now I was too afraid to leave my post and risk losing my spot.

Over the speakers the familiar robotic synthesizer voices announcing the beginning of the parade came through. I still get goose bumps when I hear that. Then the music started which carried a hefty dose of nostalgia with it.
What can I say. This parade is a classic and I love every single float. The Castle backdrop was perfect.

The first float with Tink! This is my favorite of all the floats. It's the most colorful.

IMG_1341 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1344 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Love the train and the steam coming out from the top and below

IMG_1347 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1349 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

How is it that Goofy continues to land in the driver seat? Has Mickey not seen what he did with the Barnstormer?

IMG_1355 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1363 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1368 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Down the rabbit hole we go!

IMG_1371 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1376 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1378 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1385 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Too dark to figure out if this is Suzy, Perla, or Mary?

IMG_1394 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Not midnight yet!

IMG_1401-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

This almost never happens. Cindy is looking and waving straight at me!

IMG_1407 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The Jolly Roger!

IMG_1411 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

And its Captain. Up to no good I'm sure.

IMG_1418 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

That's a whole lot of valuables for just one dwarf to be in charge of.

IMG_1429 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Snow White being regal.

IMG_1445-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Aaaaand Snow White being silly.

IMG_1446 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1466 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

My favorite dragon.

IMG_1472 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The patriotic finale

IMG_1480 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1482-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1483-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Had so much fun watching this through my camera! As soon as the parade ended I immediately made my way across to Sleepy Hollow to grab me some waffle goodness. I went with the strawberry one and picked a nice table right across from the glowing castle. I couldnt nearly finish all of the waffle but it was sooooo good. The sight of the castle I think just made it taste even better. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and watching the other families with young children enjoying their late night snacks.

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 11-16-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #143
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On this particular evening there were two showings of MSEP thanks to some extended late night park hours. I decided to watch the second one hoping that it would be less crowded which it was. I was also hoping to find a spot where the Castle would serve as a backdrop for most of my pictures. By the time I arrived at the Hub all the spot was taken except the large swath of roped off area reserved for the Fastpass+ folks. I sadly was not one of those lucky few with FP+ for this event. So I kept walking towards Liberty Square. As soon as I crossed the bridge a perfect spot was awaiting for me right across from Sleepy Hollow which was not crowded at all even by the time the parade started. I made a mental note to remember this spot for our future trips. The hardest part was standing and waiting. The sweet smell of sugary goodness that was emanating from Sleepy Hollow was not helping matters either and I was kicking myself for not grabbing a treat before I positioned myself. Now I was too afraid to leave my post and risk losing my spot. Over the speakers the familiar robotic synthesizer voices announcing the beginning of the parade came through. I still get goose bumps when I hear that. Then the music started which carried a hefty dose of nostalgia with it. What can I say. This parade is a classic and I love every single float. The Castle backdrop was perfect. The first float with Tink! This is my favorite of all the floats. It's the most colorful. IMG_1341 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1344 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Love the train and the steam coming out from the top and below IMG_1347 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1349 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr How is it that Goofy continues to land in the driver seat? Has Mickey not seen what he did with the Barnstormer? IMG_1355 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1363 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1368 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Down the rabbit hole we go! IMG_1371 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1376 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1378 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1385 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Too dark to figure out if this is Suzy, Perla, or Mary? IMG_1394 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Not midnight yet! IMG_1401-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr This almost never happens. Cindy is looking and waving straight at me! IMG_1407 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr The Jolly Roger! IMG_1411 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr And its Captain. Up to no good I'm sure. IMG_1418 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr That's a whole lot of valuables for just one dwarf to be in charge of. IMG_1429 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Snow White being regal. IMG_1445-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Aaaaand Snow White being silly. IMG_1446 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1466 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr My favorite dragon. IMG_1472 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr The patriotic finale IMG_1480 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1482 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr IMG_1483 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Had so much fun watching this through my camera! As soon as the parade ended I immediately made my way across to Sleepy Hollow to grab me some waffle goodness. I went with the strawberry one and picked a nice table right across from the glowing castle. I couldn’t nearly finish all of the waffle but it was sooooo good. The sight of the castle I think just made it taste even better. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and watching the other families with young children enjoying their late night snacks.
I love these! The electrical parade is my favorite. I grew up going to Disneyland in California so this was a staple of my youth. Your shots are outstanding and that is truly a perfect location! I missed the waffle two times now. maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #144
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Wow! Amazing Indy photographs!! They look like they are for a layout for the stunt show!! I liked your "Shiny" comment.... Hehehe I'm often distracted by shiny pretty things!

Also, MSEP! We did this last December and loved it! We stumbled upon a spot right in Liberty Square by mistake. It was fantastic. Also, love the patriotic shots! We were lucky enough to get one decent one from my iPhone last December. We were vacationing with a member of the military and I know they appreciated the display of support

Can't wait to see more!
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #145
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

I'll try to refrain from my normal Spectromagic (R.I.P.) vs MSEP to focus just on your glorious photos.

It's things like this that really make me wish you could FP+ in more than one park a day. I so want to FP this parade, but all my FP's are used in a different park earlier in the day.

It looks like you got a great spot anyway though. At the risk of divulging my favourite spot, it's down in Liberty Square right around where the stockades are located. What makes it great is it's a turning point for the parade, so you get it head on and also from the side. OK I've said too much!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #146
quigs3
Winds in the east, mist comin' in, like somethin' is brewin', about to begin!

What a perfect spot with the castle in the background! Your pictures of the parade are beautiful!
Old 11-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #147
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

Great shots of the parade. This is my favorite parade as well. Probably because it was the first night time parade I ever saw makes it extra special. Nice location for the parade. I really love the shot of the train approaching with the castle in the background.

I was disappointed when we saw MSEP because the train was missing. I guess the train was not working that day for some reason. Mickey and Minnie were just walking down the street. I was let down that the main icon float was not there.

Sounds like a fun night grabbing a table and snack to relax a little and people watch. That is something that's hard to do when traveling with the family.
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2014 - May - Wilderness Lodge - Adventures at 40"!
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #148
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Amazing photos of MSEP! I've seen this show so many times in passing but have never stopped to really enjoy it until last trip. Seeing as how it was dark and I was not in a great spot your awesome photos show the details that I failed to see.

Your Indy Stunt Show photos catch the action so well. Too bad about missing your shot of the giant boulder. Darn! I haven't seen this show since 2006 and I have to say that I haven't really missed it.
emmysmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #149
Suziannie
Mouseketeer

The photos of the statues are amazing! I am loving this TR!
Suziannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #150
Suziannie
Mouseketeer

Best TR ever! I recently bought a nicer camera and am really enjoying learning more about photography. I know my trip photos won't be this nice on our next trip (it's in two weeks) but maybe by the next one.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Suziannie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: