Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #31
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
CM told us that tonight is the last party and to prepare because they have to give out all the candy and tend to hand you truck loads of it. I'm thinking of employing a US concept I found out about last night... the "Switch Witch". Apparently, people tell their kids if they leave their candy out for the switch witch she'll take it away and replace it with a toy or gift card. I guess it's a lot cheaper than the dentist bill
Oh no, don't do that. You pay your taxes - the NHS is your Switch Witch

You will probably be handed more candy when you leave the park, just outside the turnstiles. There have been a few we have attended where end of the night they were giving us last stragglers filled bags of candy instead of scooping loose items up for our bags. Our loot between 2 of us for our 3 parties last year exceeded the 23kg allowance of the extra suitcase we booked. Needless to say most was left behind

Enjoy your party! I've done the first one of a season, but not the last. Should be a great atmosphere
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
karentan
my main job for tomorrow is to give cerby a bath, and make a cheesecake

sounds like you're having a great time, can't wait to hear more about it when you guys get back!
Its really nice that you're going to GKTW too, i had such a lovely evening there last month
28/8/14-11/9/14 Solo trip @ Celebration suites!! 24/9/13-2/10/13 Solo trip @ ASMo + DDP!! 22/2/13-1/3/13 @ POP!! 19/1/13-26/1/13 2 nights POP, 3 nights POR, 2 nights Poly!! 8/9/12-22/9/12 - 3 nights Edenton NC, 7 nights SSR, 3 nights WL CL and DDP!! 5/5/12-12/5/12 Celebration Suites!! 10/9/11-29/9/11 - Disney Magic WBTA, WDW, Edenton, NC!! 5/6/10-12/6/10 - Barcelona to Dover on Disney Magic repo!! 12/9/09-28/9/09 - SSR, AKV, DDP, MNSSHP, 3 nights Disney Wonder!! 4/11/08-25/11/08 - AKL CL, Disney Wonder, villa!! 11/05 - disney fairy tale wedding and honeymoon!! 11/02 - disneyland, 05/99 - disneyland paris, 7/98 - WDW, 11/92 - WDW, 11/91 - WDW
karentan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #33
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Oh no, don't do that. You pay your taxes - the NHS is your Switch Witch

You will probably be handed more candy when you leave the park, just outside the turnstiles. There have been a few we have attended where end of the night they were giving us last stragglers filled bags of candy instead of scooping loose items up for our bags. Our loot between 2 of us for our 3 parties last year exceeded the 23kg allowance of the extra suitcase we booked. Needless to say most was left behind

Enjoy your party! I've done the first one of a season, but not the last. Should be a great atmosphere
Oh good lord.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #34
Lisash
Knows all the words to 'It's A Small World'
Doesn't tell friends of her DISboard addiction

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Look forward to reading more
June 2003 & August 2004 - Off-site Wyndham Orlando (I-Drive)December 2005 - Off-Site Doubletree at Universal. July 2005, December 2006, August 2007, December 2008, August 2009 & December 2010 - Marriott Fairfield LBV - August 2013 on site Disney's Yacht Club - December 2013 Marriott Fairfield LBV

Lisash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #35
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Forgive my pretty short update, we got back from MNSSHP at 1am last night and I am not kidding when I say my blisters have blisters on them today!

OK, let me prefix this with saying that the party was a sell out. Being the last chance saloon all the remaining tickets were sold yesterday and it was ridiculously busy. That said, I think we made a bit of a hash of MNSSHP...

I really didn't enjoy a large chunk of it but toward the end I warmed to it a bit more. So, let me explain why I wasn't a happy bunny...

1. We got swept up in the moment and didn't follow the plan we had.
2. My costume (and DDs) were a poor choice for 9 hours in 90 degrees
3. Crowds were ridiculous until about 10.30

I got SO many compliments on my costume and I got to hang out with Abu which will result in some awesome PP+ pictures. However, a fleece costume and brown slippers do not make for a good choice!

We hauled 20lbs of candy out of there and got quite a few characters done but the big ones were 2+ hour lines most of the night.

I would definitely do it differently next time and learned some lessons.

On the positive side...DD made it to the end of the party and I enjoyed the latter part of it. Hallowishes was awesome, though we didn't have the perfect vantage point, the parade was great, but again, didn't have the best vantage point. I think the Christmas Party next week will be better because we've learned a thing or two.

Today we are off the DTD for lunch and then DHS tonight for the Fantasmic Package!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
Forgive my pretty short update, we got back from MNSSHP at 1am last night and I am not kidding when I say my blisters have blisters on them today! OK, let me prefix this with saying that the party was a sell out. Being the last chance saloon all the remaining tickets were sold yesterday and it was ridiculously busy. That said, I think we made a bit of a hash of MNSSHP... I really didn't enjoy a large chunk of it but toward the end I warmed to it a bit more. So, let me explain why I wasn't a happy bunny... 1. We got swept up in the moment and didn't follow the plan we had. 2. My costume (and DDs) were a poor choice for 9 hours in 90 degrees 3. Crowds were ridiculous until about 10.30 I got SO many compliments on my costume and I got to hang out with Abu which will result in some awesome PP+ pictures. However, a fleece costume and brown slippers do not make for a good choice! We hauled 20lbs of candy out of there and got quite a few characters done but the big ones were 2+ hour lines most of the night. I would definitely do it differently next time and learned some lessons. On the positive side...DD made it to the end of the party and I enjoyed the latter part of it. Hallowishes was awesome, though we didn't have the perfect vantage point, the parade was great, but again, didn't have the best vantage point. I think the Christmas Party next week will be better because we've learned a thing or two. Today we are off the DTD for lunch and then DHS tonight for the Fantasmic Package!
Have to say having done a sold out party we have said 'never again' - there are just too many people to get the full enjoyment.

Fleece costume - all I can say is eek! My last witches costume was sleeveless with a cape and that was warm enough!

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #37
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Mmmm fleece costume ...ewwwww definite no no our cotton brushes pj bottoms were quite warm enough and they were worn with tshirts.

What happened to the plan then ..... why did it get so spectacularly dropped ???
Old 11-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #38
foxxxy83
DIS Veteran

Not sure if MNSSHP was a sell-out or not when we were there (10th Oct) but was a lot more people than we expected there to be. Before we went, ALL the reviews, party itineraries etc said most rides are pretty much a walk-on all night but we encountered lines 15 mins plus for most things and we queued nearly as long for Donald & Daisy as we did for 7 Dwarves! Alice & Mad Hatter was a good M&G but that was only coz we got in the queue by accident and the CM said we were going to be the last ones to see them.. there were only 3 or 4 families in front of us! Didn't get as much candy as other folks either so am not sure what happened there. CMs didn't seem to want to part with the candy too much coz we seemed to do LOADS of Trick or Treating stands but only came away with our bag (similar size to Disney carrier bag) about fifth full.
foxxxy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #39
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Hectic & Hopelessly behind....

Ok, I have fallen hopelessly behind with these live updates -- good thing I am planning on doing a full TR when I get back

A few quick updates...

1. We found where we will be moving to
2. Crowds are completely manageable
3. Few hiccups with FP+ but overall a simple system that works well for us
4. Be Our Guest --- AWESOME! Had lunch today and it was delicious!
5. Had a few character meals and have decided 1900 Park Fare is still the best for character interaction

Overall, the weather hasn't been bad, but it has been cloudy, cooler than usual and sporadic rain showers. Today was warmer, but the last few days have been mild.

Definitely recommend PP+ saves a lot of time and money.

Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #40
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

You can be forgiven for not getting to the forums, given where you are right now

Good to hear a positive experience of FP+

It must be a good feeling knowing where you're moving to. I trust that it is good news to you My dad moved with his job a lot when we were younger and there were a few trans continental moves; leaving was a bit easier when we could tell our friends exactly where we were going to be

We also love 1900 Park Fare. Did you do the breakfast or the dinner? We've done breakfasts there and I am wondering if we should go for a dinner too (it's purely for the step sisters ) The food quality and variety as well as the atmosphere and character interaction has been consistently good in our experience.

I'm looking forward to this full blown trippie on your return
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #41
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Today was the Jingle Jungle 5K Run!!! It was a lot of fun and we did surprisingly well considering our injuries. So far we've raised £282 for Great Ormond Street Hospital and our target was £200 so we're happy with that.

The problem is the 5K is a VERY early start, we were up at 4am, ready to head out at 4.30am and on the bus to Animal Kingdom at 5am. Race started at 7am but we were in the last corral because it was our first one and we didn't get going for a while after the official start time. We think we saw a fellow DISer in our corrall (Tabz was it you in D this morning?)

Feeling a little tired and achy but glad we did it.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #42
tinks_1989
need a like button

Glad you enjoyed the 5K we did it in October part ot Tower of Terror 10miler weekend. We really enjoyed it. We aren't runners so we were also in the final coral. The atmosphere was amazing the morning we went and really enjoyed being involved. I agree though it was very early. Not that I would want to run in the afternoon early October in Florida lol x
tinks_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #43
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Just got back from Discovery Cove and wanted to post this update ASAP

In the past I have been a huge fan of DC and have actively encouraged people to try it out because it's an expensive day and many people are wary of spending that kind of money. We went last year and we LOVED it. We were so impressed I wrote them to thank them and to express how great we thought our experience was.

Today, we left 2 hours early absolutely disgusted by it. It has generally gone downhill but a couple of things were really bad.

So, let me start with a couple of the poor but not intolerable things. Food choices have been reduced a lot and the standard of the food has dropped significantly. Staff are not just less attentive they are damn right rude most of the time. One person particularly irritated me because she rudely had a go at me over something a child (who was clearly not my child!) was doing. This kid was clearly South American and was irritating the Rays with his feet about 5 feet from me and my daughter. We were snorkerling just looking at the Ray from the surface while this boy (who was around 13 or 14) was putting his feet on it and kicking sand at it. The staff member shouting at me " you can't put your feet on the Rays when they are resting on the bottom" I said "we're not, that boy is not with us" to which she said "they are delicate creatures and you'll hurt them" --- OK which part of that boy is not with me do you not get lady! I didn't say anything just distanced myself from the child but it's irritating.

We paid extra for a cabana. We had one last year and paid an extra $200 this year because it was awesome. As part of it, you get an attendant who will bring you dry towels, drinks and snacks. It was 3 hours before we saw our attendant who said hi and walked away. We saw him 3 times in all... the second time he asked me if I wanted him to bring some beer and snacks over. I said that would be great. An hour later he rocks back up with a beer. REALLY... an hour? I could have got one myself in 2 minutes.

The final straw that broke the camels back was serious and I intend to write to Discovery Cove and complain. Walking back to our cabana from Grand Reef, I tripped. I looked and saw a cable running under the sand with part of it above the sand that had tripped me over. I wasn't badly hurt just pulled a muscle but I went straight to guest relations because it was clearly a hazard that they needed to deal with. 2 staff at guest relations and I explain that I had fallen over because of an exposed cable and that I was not too badly hurt but someone could really hurt themselves. I was told to go back to my cabana and someone would be right over to deal with it. I sat there for an hour waiting for someone to come. No one came. I'm sitting there directing people around it to stop someone else falling like some sort of unpaid warden. After an hour and 10 minutes, I was really angry and feeling pretty sore so I just left without collecting our picture or anything.

There were plenty of smaller issues but I won't bore you with them, I would just say that it has really gone down in my estimations and I can no longer recommend it. Today cost me $800 in total and all I got for my money was a pulled muscle and a lot of disappointment.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #44
Tony Toon
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear about your really bad day at DC. We've been several times in the past and like you, have loved it. Yes it was expensive but we've always felt the overall experience of whole day was worth it. We tried to book again last summer, but left it too late and our available days were fully booked. We reckoned this was down to the change in policy allowing non swim parties and if your experience is anything to go by then this has not been a positive move. We had thought we'd try to be better organised and book for our visit in July next year. Perhaps not!

Mrs TT
Jan '97 Disneyland Jul 02 - Villa Indian Ridge Oaks Jul 03 - Villa Indian Creek Oct 04 - DLP Jul 05 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 06 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 07 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 08 - 1 wk Fort Myers Beach Condo, 3 wks at (you've guessed it) Villa Indian Creek Oct 08 - birthday trip July/Aug 09 - 4 wks to settle DD in Disney job Oct 09 - Homewood Suites Lake Buena Vista. Xmas 09 - Villa Indian Creek. Easter 2010 - Beach Club. Summer '10 - 5 weeks inc cruise on Disney Wonder (wonderful), Jul '11 - Indian Creek.Jul '12 - 2 wks OKW&Indian Creek; Jul '13 POFQ & offsite; Jul '14 SSR & Offsite; Jul'15 - Let planning commence!
Tony Toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #45
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Toon View Post
So sorry to hear about your really bad day at DC. We've been several times in the past and like you, have loved it. Yes it was expensive but we've always felt the overall experience of whole day was worth it. We tried to book again last summer, but left it too late and our available days were fully booked. We reckoned this was down to the change in policy allowing non swim parties and if your experience is anything to go by then this has not been a positive move. We had thought we'd try to be better organised and book for our visit in July next year. Perhaps not!

Mrs TT
We loved it last year and we were so excited for today. I think they have become a little too complacent. They have been voted top attraction in Orlando for a long time in a lot of polls and I think they've stopped giving two hoots. Almost every member of staff we encountered today was rude and it started the moment we got in.

We went for breakfast (which was terrible btw!) and the guy in front of us said he wanted some eggs and some waffles. The server woman said "you have to have the full breakfast it'll be at the end for you" and when he said he didn't want to waste the other stuff, she practically threw a plate of eggs and waffles at the guy.

It was clear too that it was a problem that spanned all of the staff because even "guest relations" didn't seem to care about anything. It's a shame because it used to be an awesome day of relaxation. I'm going to write to them and I'll update with what they say, but I don't hold out much hope because they really didn't seem to care about anything today.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: