Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #601
DisNorth
DIS Veteran

Glad you dad is doing well and you can be there to help him thorough this time. Glad you have found a place that is not icky and has room. Hopefully the issue with the church can be worked out. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers
Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #602
ladylyons
Wishing I was closer to Disneyland

Glad you've found a place for your dad. Continued prayers for him and the rest of your family.

What do you mean we're driving to WDW from CA? PTR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3179094
ladylyons is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #603
lovedonaldduck
DIS Veteran

Thinking of you and your dad this morning. I hope things are going smoothly and you both will get back to some normalcy soon.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #604
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Just super quickly, busting my dad out of the hospital now. He is going to the nursing home from here, he looks fantastic and happy to start this new chapter. Please keep him in your prayers, even though he is happy, it may be difficult for him.

Much love to all of you.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #605
Terkina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Just super quickly, busting my dad out of the hospital now. He is going to the nursing home from here, he looks fantastic and happy to start this new chapter. Please keep him in your prayers, even though he is happy, it may be difficult for him.

Much love to all of you.

D~
That's good news Crossing my fingers that he will like the nursing home.

My Pre-Trip report My Trip report
Me Tantor Terkina Esmeralda
Terkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #606
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Continued thoughts & prayers for him I don't recall who said it but I agree not only will the church members want to be updated on what happened but most congregations as you know will arrange for transportation It will do him a world of good since this is an important part of his life and its not that far really

Glad things are looking up Have a Merry & Blessed Christmas

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #607
Texan
No extra charge for the Tag Fairy entertainment! :)

I got into work late; had some issues to take care of; you and your Dad have been in my prayers and thoughts all morning; he is going to have some adjustments to get used to; I am praying everything goes smoothly for both of you; putting your parent in a "home" is so hard, when you leave you cannot stop worrying about them; praying for peace and strength for you D; hope you have someone to help you too

BTW everyone; I do not know why I have all that computer script language this and that garble after my posts; it does not show up when I am typing and submitting my post; it happens after it is posted; I will try to fix it but I am so not savvy to tech issues; this is something new that is popping up; ARGH
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = '02/04/2005 11:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=purple>Been too long, much too long </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Finally!!!!!!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #608
KatMark
DIS Veteran

D, I'm sorry I've not been posting for a few days (week), but I've been trying to read...work just has been insane with the end of the year.

I jsut wanted to pop in and say that I am so happy that your Dad is being sprung from the hospital today and that he will go to rehab and that you found him someplace for after that.

KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #609
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Hospice is such a comfort, though, not only for the patient, but the family as well. At least that was our experience. I will be praying for you and your family.
Thank you. My mom just got the hospice papers filled out yesterday and today she needed to call someone about a concern. They got right back to her and told her what to do. I know this is the best thing. My mom just keeps saying "I hope I made the right decision". It is right, just not sure why she feels this way. Hospice will definitely help at this point. Thanks for the prayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthequeen
Sorry to hear about Gwen.

Prayers to everyone who needs them.

D....
Just saw your post about your dad. Medical stuff is difficult. I'm glad he is on his way to a good nursing home. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #610
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

D~ so glad your Dad is out of the hospital and sporting a good attitude. Don't be surprised if this changes as he comes face to face with this new reality and all that it means. That would be normal. But hopefully temporary. Your Dad sounds like a great guy and once he's feeling better, he'll get to meet and make new friends. Maybe he won't be so lonely any more. I am praying for all of you, but especially for strength for you. This is a very tough time to be away from Josh and the girls. Take care of yourself! Oh, and thanks so much for taking time out to give us updates. I know that can't be easy. We appreciate it!:
Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #611
DMGeurts

It's been a crazy week, and I am totally mentally exhausted. But - as they say - the show must go on...

Just when I feel the sigh of relief, I am being catapulted into Christmas festivities...

So, yesterday started off with my Dad's discharge. I was there at 8:30am, but due to a mess up in the paperwork trail - he did not get discharged until 10:30am. I was really annoyed, because each minute that ticked by was one minute less I was able to be with him and settle him at the nursing home. I had to be on the road by 1pm to get through rush hour traffic in the Cities...

I was able to get him to the nursing home, and do most of the admission paperwork. Thankfully, they were very understanding, and allowed me to only do the necessary stuff - I will do the remainder today when we go back.

Once I saw his room, I knew right then and there that this was the right decision. I had seen a few nursing homes this week, and I hated all of them. My mom lived in a nursing home for the last 6 years of her life - so I am very sensitive to the smell and feel of them - and avoid them whenever possible. Touring all of these nursing homes this week was NOT something I enjoyed - and more than anything - it was NOT something I wanted for my dad. When I toured this facility earlier last week, I did not even look at the nursing home portion, I only looked at the assisted living apartment - at that time, I didn't realize that he would need nursing home care after being discharged from the hospital. However, I did a "walk through" of the nursing home section - so I knew the hallways and main gathering areas were very nice. And most important to me - it did not look/feel/smell like a nursing home.

I was still a bit nervous about it though - as it was really sight unseen. But when they showed him to his room - I nearly lost it.

Here is my dad... A gentle, loving, kind and caring person - who has lived a very HARD life with mental and physical disabilities, most often on the brink of homelessness and very much living in poverty. Because of his various disabilities, he was never able to handle a job that was much more than washing dishes or janitor work... He lived a VERY hard life, and a very physically taxing life... His body shows every bit of it.

I never once thought that his "retirement" would be easy... He has lived so much in poverty that there was never a penny put towards his care in the future... He would depend solely on his social security - what little of it that he receives.

And then my brother's foster-mom mentioned this "nursing home" that is close to where they live.

God smiled down on us - and somehow opened this bed for him - in the nicest/cleanest/safest home he has ever lived in, as far back as I can remember. A place that I could have NEVER dreamed he would be lucky enough to stay, to have people care for him, and for me to KNOW he is being treated with fairness/dignity/care/compassion...

I cried the whole way home yesterday, it was a happy cry... A cry of relief. Finally, finally, finally - my dad is in a place where I don't have to worry about him being lonely/clean/fed properly/cared for/safe... Any and all of the things that we all worry about. But more-so, because I always thought places like this were reserved for the people who COULD save for their future...

Prayers were answered yesterday... And God smiled down on my family - I am certain of that. So many things happened, and so many things fell into place - there is no other explanation. So, thank you - all of you - from the very bottom of my heart... This means absolutely the WORLD to me... And just LOOK at him... Wonderful - wonderful, it makes my heart so very, very happy, as the tears just stream down my face again.

Today starts our Christmas celebrations...

We are starting off our day with a stop at Target... I printed off a TON of pictures for my Dad's shadow-box outside of his room... So the girls and I plan to decorate that today.

Our first stop, after that, is the nursing home... The girls are so excited to see their Grandpa, they have been so worried about him all week. And I just KNOW, once they see where he is living - they will be the happiest girls in the world.

Josh went out shopping yesterday... After spending some time in my Dad's apartment this week, I knew that none of his clothes would survive washing... So, Josh purchased all new clothes for my Dad, which we will give him today... It will be disguised as part of his "Christmas gifts" - but not really, as we would have done it anyways.

Tonight, we have Christmas dinner with my foster parents... It's the first time I have been home for Christmas in several years. We are all very excited to go!

Tomorrow, I have Christmas with my Mom's family... BIG family Christmas.

Afterwards, we will do Christmas with my Dad at the nursing home again.

Then, FINALLY, we will come home... And I can breathe a sigh of relief that I can relax for a few days.

My dad will be spending Christmas day with my brother and his foster family... Thank God for them! They have been a HUGE support to me through out all of this. I couldn't have survived this week with out them!

I thought I would close this non-Disney post with a photo of the girls I printed for my Dad's room... I hope it makes him smile when he sees it... And I hope it makes all of you smile too...

Now that all of this is over... Or, I should say, not as crazy... I hope to have some Disney updates for you all soon.

Much love to all of you... Many hugs... And our prayers go out to all who need them.

D~

Last edited by DMGeurts; 12-21-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #612
DMGeurts

Flower UPB set

With all of the craziness of the last week, I forgot to post my last bag... I just love all of the fabrics of this bag and the bright colors! It was so much fun to make!

I will try to add official pictures later, but I have NO idea where my camera is currently - just that I took pictures and they are on it.

For now... A nice cell phone picture to tide you over.

D~
Old 12-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #613
Terkina
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad it all turned out well for your dad. I hope you have a nice Christmas celebration with all of your family the next days.

Your latest bag looks really nice.

My Pre-Trip report My Trip report
Me Tantor Terkina Esmeralda
Terkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #614
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

answered prayers and in this particular time of miracles

I am thrilled for you all Your Dad looks very happy

Merry Christmas D'

Ruthie

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #615
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

I don't post often, but I read your updates weekly over my morning coffee on Saturdays or Sundays when the girls are watching their cartoons.

Your bags are beautiful. We will be a small bag kind of family next summer as my youngest is now potty-trained!! Very excited to start looking at smaller bag options.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your dad but I was in tears reading about how things turned out. My mother lead a hard life and never got a chance to see how her life may have actually had a happy ending (she committed suicide 8 years ago). I'm glad your dad is able to enjoy his later years.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Jan '10 POFQ; Jul '10 POP; Sep '10 POP; May '12 POFQ

mom2clr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
august, bags, park bags, sewing, weight loss

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: