Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #181
Terkina
DIS Veteran

Sounds fun having a family night watching a movie and playing Mario Kart. The stockings looks great.

My Pre-Trip report My Trip report
Me Tantor Terkina Esmeralda
Terkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #182
Clio
Mouseketeer

I hope you get to work on your stocking project today. I'm glad youur got use use your friend's machine for a while. Now you know what you really what in one.
I agree about stores being open on Thanksgiving. At the moment, I don't know when our sales will start that day. I'm guessing around five pm. Balck Friday was always afunday to work even though we had to get up super early. What gets me, is all the customers that tell us that it's horrible that we have to work on Thanksgivng but if they wouldn't come it to shop then we wouldn't have to be there.
We're going to Good Will today to drop off a couple of boxes of books and clothes. We'll probably go in because my daughter is obsessed with olld pyrex and corningware. I've never seen a sewing machine at ours.
Liz
Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #183
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran

I'm going shopping tomorrow - need to go to JoAnns since their interfacing is 50% off and I need to pick up a few more things. Going to hit the thrift shops and see what I can find in the way of sewing machines. If not, its ok.

I got out my 1926 Singer knee control machine to use and the belt on it discintregated on it so I need to pick one of those up too. Guess I should make a list.

Hope you got most of your stockings finished today. I've been working on Kate's quilt all day and have made good progress, but its not quite ready to put together. I have 4 rows of blocks finished, but I need six. I think I'm going to have to order more fabric.

Ok, break time over....
Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #184
ladylyons
Wishing I was closer to Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Thanks Sandra! Yah - me neither... I used to LOVE opening on Black Friday - it was my favorite shift of the entire year. But now that they are opening on Thursday night, I still get my early Friday morning shift - which by then, we are usually dead and we are all bored. It's not very fun working BF anymore.
I don't blame you for not liking to work BF anymore. I wouldn't either. I didn't mind the getting up at 4 am (or earlier) to be one of the first people in line. I've always gotten everything I wanted by going to Target. But now with us probably going to Oregon for Thanksgiving I won't be able to go since they don't have a Target where my parent's live. So I'll have to deal with Wal Mart. But luckily they live in a very small town so it's not as crazy as it is here.

Glad you got all the embroidery done. That's great your almost done saving for the machine you want.

Wait this isn't the way to WDW! TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3346971
ladylyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #185
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup3 View Post
Love the new bag, it might be one of my favorites!!! 'Ohana is a deal breaker for us, so is Crystal Palace before park opening. The choices look great, makes me hungry for Disney food...
Thanks so much! I just love working in grayscale, it's so much fun!

'Ohana is not a deal breaker for us, but we do enjoy going there. But CP is definately a must-do... We usually try to do it on our last MK day, and yes, before park opening - there is no better time to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
well Sami loves her high chair so it was a success and cheapy me bought the 39.99 basic bones one. I honestly don't think she will be long for it. Also I have no one to pass it to so I figured when I am done with it I will donate it to the church my parents and sister go to.

Good luck on your stocking project.I am going to be cutting out pjs today. SOme for Christmas and I owe C a pair from her birthday.
Yay!!! Glad Sami likes her high chair! There is nothing wrong with getting a cheap one, they grow so fast - and since you don't think she will get that much use out of it - it doesn't make any sense to spend extra IMO. So, WTG!

Thanks! I hope you are able to get all of your projects done today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terkina View Post
Sounds fun having a family night watching a movie and playing Mario Kart. The stockings looks great.
Thanks! Yes, it was a great night... Gotta love family Mario Kart nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clio View Post
I hope you get to work on your stocking project today. I'm glad youur got use use your friend's machine for a while. Now you know what you really what in one.
Exactly! And I was also able to find out what I didn't want. LOL

Quote:
I agree about stores being open on Thanksgiving. At the moment, I don't know when our sales will start that day. I'm guessing around five pm. Balck Friday was always afunday to work even though we had to get up super early. What gets me, is all the customers that tell us that it's horrible that we have to work on Thanksgivng but if they wouldn't come it to shop then we wouldn't have to be there.
I don't know when we will open either... Target is usually very tight lipped about it. The last 2 years, they wouldn't even tell us our BF opening time until the schedule was posted... I really think it's because they knew their employees would be upset (Many were very upset). I think a lot of us would have been less upset had we known earlier and been able to change our plans, but as it was - many employees had to cancel all of their holiday plans because of the late notice. What used to be a really fun day has turned into a greedy event.

Quote:
We're going to Good Will today to drop off a couple of boxes of books and clothes. We'll probably go in because my daughter is obsessed with olld pyrex and corningware. I've never seen a sewing machine at ours.
Liz
I shouldn't laugh - but I love old Pyrex and corningware items too. I only have 1 or 2 pieces, but I would love to find my parent's set someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthequeen View Post
I'm going shopping tomorrow - need to go to JoAnns since their interfacing is 50% off and I need to pick up a few more things. Going to hit the thrift shops and see what I can find in the way of sewing machines. If not, its ok.
Wanna get me some red Gutermann while you are there? LOL Just kidding... I have to go sometime over the next week to get some though - I fear I won't have enough for one of my next orders. Hopefully you can get out of there with out spending too much money.

Quote:
I got out my 1926 Singer knee control machine to use and the belt on it discintregated on it so I need to pick one of those up too. Guess I should make a list.
I hope you are able to find a belt for it - I don't have any belt driven machines, so I am a bit clueless about if they have changed over the years? Otherwise, sew-classic.com does carry vintage supplies, I have ordered from Jen several times, and she is always very prompt.

Quote:
Hope you got most of your stockings finished today. I've been working on Kate's quilt all day and have made good progress, but its not quite ready to put together. I have 4 rows of blocks finished, but I need six. I think I'm going to have to order more fabric.

Ok, break time over....
I made a nice dent in them... I will explain below. Ooh - I hope you'll show us pictures of Kate's quilt... I hate when I run out of fabric too... See below. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylyons View Post
I don't blame you for not liking to work BF anymore. I wouldn't either. I didn't mind the getting up at 4 am (or earlier) to be one of the first people in line. I've always gotten everything I wanted by going to Target. But now with us probably going to Oregon for Thanksgiving I won't be able to go since they don't have a Target where my parent's live. So I'll have to deal with Wal Mart. But luckily they live in a very small town so it's not as crazy as it is here.

Glad you got all the embroidery done. That's great your almost done saving for the machine you want.
Well, hopefully you are able to get some decent items at Walmart for BF shopping... I have not even started looking for the ads online... I like to watch them, but I have never gone out.

I am very excited to be almost done saving... Hopefully this week!

I was holed up in my sewing room all day yesterday... It was kind of crazy!

I started off by cutting out all the cuffs for the remainder of the stockings, and getting them prepped for quilting. Then I cut out the remainder of the stockings themselves and prepped those for quilting. When Victoria woke up - I offered her $10 to help me quilt... I was so excited when she took me up on my offer!

So, Victoria quilted all the remaining cuffs on Patience. And I quilted all of the remaining stockings on Mr. Rocket - which was an adventure in itself, because Mr. R is strictly an applique machine for me - I have never sewn a straight stitch on him, so it was a bit awkward and weird, but we made due and he did a great job. I was quite impressed by his straight stitch actually - it's not often that you find a machine with zig-zag capabilites that can do a nice (non-wobbly) straight stitch.

Victoria and I finished up our quilting a little after 1pm. Just in time for a late lunch. I was so thankful for her help yesterday - she saved me about 3 hours of quilting time. And thanks to her, after lunch, I was able to go upstairs and start all of the stocking assembly.

So, now I am completely done with Thomas', Nic's, Allison's & Victoria's. I have Jeff's cut out/quilted and ready to assemble. I have Lynn and Chris' cut out and quilted, but I ran out of lining fabric... So, I had to order more last night. But the hard/lengthly part for these stockings is done, and the assembly won't take long at all. If I were to guess - I have about 2 hours of work left on this stocking project and I will be finished - until someone gets married or has another baby.

I will post pictures of my progress later today... It was too dark yesterday to take pictures when I was done, and it's too dark now.

Josh made a bacon wrapped meatloaf for dinner last night on his smoker - it was amazing. And I fried up fresh sweet potatoes in coconut oil - they were very delicious!

Then, again, we played Mario Kart after dinner.

Today, I start my next custom order... It's a BIG one! I've been nervous for a while now that I won't be able to finish it in the time I've allowed, but I have been swamped in my off time and haven't been able to work ahead on it, so I will just do the best I can. I am very excited about it though - it promises to be EPIC! I just love the fabrics and the theme is unique!

Which means, I better get going on my day! I hope you all have a wonderful one... Sending out prayers to all in need.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #186
cogero
DIS Veteran

so glad you made a huge dent in your sewing. I can't wait to see all the stockings.

I wasn't able to get anything done yesterday because it was a rough day for J

makes me sad when he has meltdowns and I can't figure out why.

I have to go to work for a short while today to get some work done but I am going to use Mabel today.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #187
spiritsim
DIS Veteran

wow page 13

ok I don't know how I missed this but am here now and going back to read up on your doings.......

edit: Ok read all the way through love the steamship willy I have some fabric that would have gone perfect with that apliqua.....if I knew how to make them I might do a bag sort of like that...lol

WDW Commando Member #241
First time in the world! But not our last! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3359150

Last edited by spiritsim; 11-11-2013 at 09:27 AM.
spiritsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #188
Tinkercc
Mouseketeer

Hi D,

I am looking forward to seeing your finished stockings!! Please tell Josh "Happy Veteran's Day", and a huge thank you for his service to our country.
Tinkercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #189
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Ok all, here's all the completed stockings so far....

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #190
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Your stockings are gorgeous!!!! You do an amazing job!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #191
Restrasz
Mouseketeer

The stockings are beautiful! How fun to look forward to Santa filling them!
Restrasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #192
Sweetly
Mouseketeer

Wishing all those who have served or are serving a HAPPY VETERANS DAY!!

Steamboat Willie was amazing! love the grayscale you worked in.

I know what you mean by expensive class trips, but sometimes they are worth it in the end.

To answer your question about which Singer I purchased - it was a Deluxe Zig-Zag Model 758. For me was it a great purchase because I had all the attachments from the other machine that broke.

So many great options for dining on your next trip. We have done The Plaza. We thought the food was good and the portions were a nice size. I too always have a hard time to decide on what places to eat. Our list is always too long and our visit is always too short.

The Christmas Stockings are looking fabulous!! I bet Santa can't wait to fill them all. I have completed four of them. The one I did for my new niece was my favorite. I went over to there house last night (while they were out) and I able to hang it up. I just couldn't wait!!!
Not sure I will start any more sewing projects, as Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up. I already starting my holiday shopping and wrapping.

I too am having a hard time with stores opening on Thanksgiving Day or any holiday for that matter. I just feel bad for the workers and their families who sacrifice family time.

Have a wonderful day to all!
Sweetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #193
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

The stockings are so gorgeous! What a special gift for everyone this Christmas! Not much to comment, but just wanted you to know I am still around for your "daily ramblings."
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #194
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Sure.... we have exactly one comfortable seat left in the van...and my son will have two comfortable seats left....

(Don't you wish you had sprang for the annual passes last August!)

I don't know if I told you about my stocking adventure. Every year for Christmas (when I host the Christmas dinner) I make something to use for place cards. Sometimes it is an ornament... one year I made stockings. I spent 3 months, making each one different, using all the Christmas fabrics I hoarded for years. They were all patchwork and quilted on my long arm then cut out and assembled. They were a hit! (In fact, my son's family and my daughter's family uses theirs each year. ) We had 25 people for dinner that year.

The only complaint I got was I did not put their names on them...it was the year before I got my embroidery machine.

They are all asking for a redo...just don't know when I would ever have the time to do it!

Love your stockings!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #195
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Caught up:
Saw Steamboat Willie on FB & commented - I love how the interior fabrics match the patterns on the applique. Very Arty.

The stockings look fabulous. My MIL and SIL made stockings for all their family the year before I married into it. I've never had to be the odd one out, though, because until this year my MIL had misplaced them in her attic. Cale found them though, this summer, so I guess my future NIL and I will have to be the odd girls out.

I was submit my total disaster area of a sewing room for consideration in the "Messiest Sewing Room" contest, but after reading Iamthequeen's description, I think the best I could go for is a Tie. Although mine is still a complete and utter mess - even if I did get some sewing done.

Well, back to work for me. Prayers for those that need them, Thanks to those that served & high hopes for the future.
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS 2014: Sick Trip
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
august, bags, park bags, sewing, weight loss

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: