Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
"I've never believed in doing sequels. I didn't want to waste the time I have doing a sequel; I'd rather be using that time doing something new and different. - WALT DISNEY

Enough said
~QFT. That was really good, I wonder how Walt would feel about five Pirates of the Caribbean sequels!

~Anyway, kids are just fascinated with planes, in general. The last kids movie we saw was Wreck It Ralph and I really enjoyed that. My little commando's showed no interest in Despicable Me 2, Monsters U, Epic, The Croods, and Turbo. I was so happy. But, Disney's Planes proved to be too irresistible for them -- to my dismay, of course. LOL.

~I wasn't joking when I said DHS may get Planes land. We'll see.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
You are very correct, that was his opinion on most things!

There were exceptions, Like Davy Crocket, which started as a 2 part, Wonderful World of Color feature and ended up with 5 parts and later put together to make a movie, released to theaters.

If its good and its making money..............go with the flow!

AKK
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
You are very correct, that was his opinion on most things!

There were exceptions, Like Davy Crocket, which started as a 2 part, Wonderful World of Color feature and ended up with 5 parts and later put together to make a movie, released to theaters.

If its good and its making money..............go with the flow!

AKK
There was also The Absent Minded Professor and it's sequel, Son of Flubber.

It was also a much different time, when Disney was releasing 1 feature animated film about every 2 years, instead of 3 or more per year.

Snow White 37
Pinnochio 40
Fantasia 40 (not a feature animated film, but will count here as it is a classic)
Dumbo 41
Bambi 42
Cinderella 50
Alice 51
Peter Pan 53
Lady & Tramp 55
Sleeping Beauty 59
101 Dalmations 61
Sword & The Stone 63

That is 12 animated features in 26 years, though you can discount a few of those years as WWII lean years when not much was going on.

They've had 12 major animated pictures in just the past 5 years (some did very well, some did just okay) -

Planes
Monsters U.
Wreck It Ralph
Brave
Winnie the Pooh
Cars 2
Mars Needs Moms
Tangled
Toy Story 3
The Princess and the Frog
Up
Bolt

You can comb through the Disney animated films the past 26 years (including Pixar since 2006) and find at least 12 that are about on par with those original 12.

Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Alladin, Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan, Ratatouille, Up, Princess & the Frog, Toy Story 3, Tangled, Brave, Wreck It Ralph are 12 off top of my head.

I'd put Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, and Toy Story 3 up there with any movie ever made by Disney. Tangled is up there with any Princess movie other than maybe Snow White and Cinderella, though Snow White gets extra credit for being first.

They are producing tons more content than they were in the 40's, 50's, 60's. If Walt was putting out 15 movies or so every 3 years instead of 2, I'm sure his feelings on sequels would've changed. It's a much different time as well, as sequels weren't all that popular in that time, as movies itself were relatively new.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
There was also The Absent Minded Professor and it's sequel, Son of Flubber.

It was also a much different time, when Disney was releasing 1 feature animated film about every 2 years, instead of 3 or more per year.

Snow White 37
Pinnochio 40
Fantasia 40 (not a feature animated film, but will count here as it is a classic)
Dumbo 41
Bambi 42
Cinderella 50
Alice 51
Peter Pan 53
Lady & Tramp 55
Sleeping Beauty 59
101 Dalmations 61
Sword & The Stone 63

That is 12 animated features in 26 years, though you can discount a few of those years as WWII lean years when not much was going on.

They've had 12 major animated pictures in just the past 5 years (some did very well, some did just okay) -

Planes
Monsters U.
Wreck It Ralph
Brave
Winnie the Pooh
Cars 2
Mars Needs Moms
Tangled
Toy Story 3
The Princess and the Frog
Up
Bolt

You can comb through the Disney animated films the past 26 years (including Pixar since 2006) and find at least 12 that are about on par with those original 12.

Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Alladin, Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan, Ratatouille, Up, Princess & the Frog, Toy Story 3, Tangled, Brave, Wreck It Ralph are 12 off top of my head.

I'd put Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, and Toy Story 3 up there with any movie ever made by Disney. Tangled is up there with any Princess movie other than maybe Snow White and Cinderella, though Snow White gets extra credit for being first.

They are producing tons more content than they were in the 40's, 50's, 60's. If Walt was putting out 15 movies or so every 3 years instead of 2, I'm sure his feelings on sequels would've changed. It's a much different time as well, as sequels weren't all that popular in that time, as movies itself were relatively new.
I totally agree!
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
mickey&minnie04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
Still haven't seen it. Tried to take the kids and they lasted about 40 minutes. Bored them out of their skulls. They LOVE Cars. Planes, eh, not so much.
Same here! I took my 7 year old niece and she asked if we could leave because it was boring! I didn't care for it either, and I'm a dedicated Disney lover!!

August 1996 ~ Fort Wilderness Campground
May 2002 ~ All Star Music
September 2004 Honeymoon~POFQ
November 2007 ~ Pop Century
May 2009 ~ All Star Movies
September 2011 ~ Pop Century
November/December 2014~ All Star Movies
mickey&minnie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
tinkachew
Earning My Ears

Really looking forward to it. Son loved cars, cars 2 and planes. He's vehicle mad and I'm glad they're doing a far few "boys films". There doesn't seem to be as many male characters which are prominent when you say compare to the princesses. Yeah I know they're vehicles but hey ho

Previous Trips
August 1994 Santa Fe 3N/4D // August 1999 Santa Fe 4N/5D // August 2003 Santa Fe 4N/5D // December 2006 All Stars Sports 9N/10D // December 2008 Pop Century 9N/10D // March 2013 4N/5D
Planned Trips
March 2015 Santa Fe 5N/6D
Me Matt (DH) Orly-Jack (DS)
tinkachew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
JoWiJo
Longing to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
That must've been something they added, because it wasn't in the original release when we took the kids to see it mid August.
Certainly plausible. From my experience, the cheap theater I sometimes visit clearly uses film that's been shown many times. On the other hand, the picture quality was quite clean when I saw it, which suggests either a new reel or a digital format. Either way, it very well could have been added since the initial release.

The announcement for the sequel is at the VERY end. Practically end of reel. And most people won't wait around for that. So if you didn't wait that long, you wouldn't have seen it. The only reason I saw it was that I was there for the next showing about 20 mins later.

At any rate, it's there now.
Fourth visit 2009 -- Celebrated birthday by visiting Animal Kingdom.
Next visit -- Who knows?
JoWiJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: