Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #46
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Yeah, the servers always seemed happy when we told them we weren't on the dining plan. I have to say, the food was generally bad, but the TS servers were all great.

We thought the biggest problem, and this was from QS to TS, was the quality of the meat. Whether it was cold cuts, or chicken, or steak, whatever, there was something wrong with the meat. Over-processed, seemed like it came out of the freezer, chewy, reconstituted, hockey puck, something. It became laughable at a certain point. It reminded me of the meat we would get in college at the dining halls.

The Signatures we went to were different...They were using real meat.

Last edited by ArwenMarie; 10-31-2013 at 07:55 AM.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #47
Jesobelle
Earning My Ears

Just a different perspective from a Brit who has enjoyed Free Dining the last 2 trips (August 2011 and 2013). Over here it is offered across dates most of the year, including Summer, and I have no complaints. I couldn't easily get my vacation cheaper without it (no RO discounts that are better.)

It allows me to give myself permission to order expensive things I'd never consider doing OOP. Sticker shock is totally eliminated and I have enjoyed many delicious TS meals - although tend to stick mostly to resort restaurants/DTD rather than in-park. Quality may be decreasing, but it's better than I'd permit myself if I had to order OOP. When I stayed offsite in 2000, I ate at Ponderosa most nights and had a grab-bag of cheetohs for lunch or warm packed lunches put together from Walmart, as Disney prices scared the life out of me!

I tip at least 18-20% every time and don't see why DDP would make people not do that. The suggested amounts are printed right on there on the check. Anyone that ignores that is rude, regardless of what method they are using to pay.
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #48
mj333
Earning My Ears

We gave up on the dining plan free or otherwise a long time ago. Just can't stay in front of the bean counters. You can't be the convenience, but they are counting on you not getting the value out of it.

And free dining helps fill the parks during slow seasons and gets you to pay rack for a room. I will take the room discount and pay cash for my food.
mj333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #49
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

I think it was last year, maybe the year before, that they added more participating restaurants. Before that I was able to get decent food at the non participating restaurants. I now look to see who participates and avoid as much of that as I can. I found that signature dining is ok as well, not as good as it used to be but not the inedible things I get at most TS that take the DDP.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #50
cjbcam
DIS Veteran

I know that as a family of six we automatically have to pay 18% for tip. It annoys me because they make you pay it, it's not based on service. They funny thing is if we weren't forced to pay that 18% we probably would have given a bigger tip. Anyway I didn't think the food was all that terrible but there is only one meal I remember loving the food at. That being said we loved the restaurants though.
cjbcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #51
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

So the biggest problem the servers have with the dining plans isn't the tip. It's having to explain to the guests what they can and can't have with it, and the guests tend to give them crap if certain things aren't covered, or they can't substitute items, or they can't get an appetizer in place of dessert, blah blah blah.

Swan and Dolphin = no dining plan = more good restaurants.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #52
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbcam View Post
I know that as a family of six we automatically have to pay 18% for tip. It annoys me because they make you pay it, it's not based on service. They funny thing is if we weren't forced to pay that 18% we probably would have given a bigger tip. Anyway I didn't think the food was all that terrible but there is only one meal I remember loving the food at. That being said we loved the restaurants though.
You are not forced to pay the 18% tip. If service is bad you can have a quick chat with the manager, and they will reduce or take off the tip. Likewise if you have outstanding service you can adjust up.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #53
kaybird
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNabisco View Post
Bingo, I've talked to many about it. They absolutely hate it.
Must be a different set of servers that I know then. Without a doubt, they all love the DDp, have the explanations down, and know that they are pretty much going to get a certain size ticket. Most people tip appropriately, they could get stiffed with or without the dining plan. Our experience has been good food, and good service. I don't have to apologize for loving the DDP, nor do I expect anyone else to have to love it. We don't all like the same rides, why would we have to eat the same?

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: