Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

See, I don't think it's the "free" dining so much as the dining plans themselves.

You've prepaid, so they have your money, what incentive do they have to be creative?? And in order to not have two separate menus so dining plan members don't feel "left out", they've had to dumb down the menus for everyone. I just don't like the limited choices.

It sucks, but I do agree and have noticed a major difference over the years.

Actually we just got back yesterday, and this was the first trip that I really noticed the lack of service as well. Servers know they're getting their tip if you use TIW, DxDP, and so on, so what's their incentive? Are tips included in the regular DDP? I'm not aware.

I do have to give credit where credit is due, though. We now have a gluten allergy in our family and Disney works very well with allergies. The chef came out to our table at every meal and told us what we could and couldn't have, and walked us through every buffet. And there was always a gluten free alternative to most menu items. It was great!

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #32
LarryNabisco
Magician that eats fire !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
See, I don't think it's the "free" dining so much as the dining plans themselves.

You've prepaid, so they have your money, what incentive do they have to be creative?? And in order to not have two separate menus so dining plan members don't feel "left out", they've had to dumb down the menus for everyone. I just don't like the limited choices.

It sucks, but I do agree and have noticed a major difference over the years.

Actually we just got back yesterday, and this was the first trip that I really noticed the lack of service as well. Servers know they're getting their tip if you use TIW, DxDP, and so on, so what's their incentive? Are tips included in the regular DDP? I'm not aware.

I do have to give credit where credit is due, though. We now have a gluten allergy in our family and Disney works very well with allergies. The chef came out to our table at every meal and told us what we could and couldn't have, and walked us through every buffet. And there was always a gluten free alternative to most menu items. It was great!

The servers hate DDP with a passion.
LarryNabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #33
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNabisco View Post
The servers hate DDP with a passion.
Because guests tip poorly?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #34
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
Are tips included in the regular DDP? I'm not aware.
The tip used to be included in DDP, but everyone complained about getting poor service, so they stopped including the tip.

So the servers still rely on the goodwill of the diners if they want their 18%.

Everyone must have complained about the appetizers, too, because they're no longer included either.

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
canoe86
Mouseketeer

You mean the quality of a product goes down if its free??????? I would never have thought that possible. ( said in a condescending manner. )

Hmmm, I guess this could apply to something else going on in the country right now...............
canoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #36
Jenny Sanders
DIS Veteran

I have to disagree. I live outside of Chicago, where we have some of the best restaurants in the world, and I have had no issues with Disney dining. I have enjoyed meals at places like: Narcoossees, Olivia's, The Wave, The Grand Floridian Cafe, Liberty Tree Tavern and many more.
29 trips to Disney World and counting...next stop POFQ March 2014
Jenny Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #37
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

One thing that would help the quality of the food is if people would send the bad food back. Oh sure, maybe YOU do, but as a frequent reader of the restaurant thread I can tell you that many many people don't. They seem to think that just because its Disney food they need to choke it down. If people start to refuse to eat bad food then Disney will no longer make a profit by serving it. And face it, unless its a super slow time of year, the days of counting on a walk up at the more popular restaurants are over, free dining or not.

As for me, Long Live Free Dining.
And if my "free" meal is inedible, they will be bringing me another.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #38
LarryNabisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBelleMom View Post
Bingo, I've talked to many about it. They absolutely hate it.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #39
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingInMouseEars View Post
One thing that would help the quality of the food is if people would send the bad food back. Oh sure, maybe YOU do, but as a frequent reader of the restaurant thread I can tell you that many many people don't. They seem to think that just because its Disney food they need to choke it down. If people start to refuse to eat bad food then Disney will no longer make a profit by serving it. And face it, unless its a super slow time of year, the days of counting on a walk up at the more popular restaurants are over, free dining or not.

As for me, Long Live Free Dining.
And if my "free" meal is inedible, they will be bringing me another.
I agree with this. I can think of 5 meals right off the top of my head that I had on our last trip (TS and QS) that should have just gone back. Give me my money back, something else, whatever. From now on, that will definitely be happening. For me, I am reluctant because I am not an assertive person by nature. I can be assertive when I have to be, but when I am on vacation, doing something like that is the last thing I want to do.

I'm not sure it helps with the dining plan problem though...if they already have that money, whether through people buying the dining plans or getting them "free" with a rack-rate room, then you aren't getting any money back. You can get another dish I guess.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I'm not sure it helps with the dining plan problem though...if they already have that money, whether through people buying the dining plans or getting them "free" with a rack-rate room, then you aren't getting any money back. You can get another dish I guess.
Yep, if everyone keeps making them bring another dish until they get one that is edible, then Disney (who are experts at making profits) will see their profit margin take a hit. Will make them improve the quality of the food? Who Knows? But I'd say its worth a try.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #41
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBelleMom View Post
I always tip more when I've got free dining. Plus my family tends to order more expensive items when they are "free".

When we don't do the dining plan, we tend to order cheaper items and/or share entrees, which means less tips for the server.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #42
LarryNabisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingInMouseEars View Post
Yep, if everyone keeps making them bring another dish until they get one that is edible, then Disney (who are experts at making profits) will see their profit margin take a hit. Will make them improve the quality of the food? Who Knows? But I'd say its worth a try.
Servers would suffer in that scenario, because unfairly many (not all) would not tip well if this were to happen.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #43
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNabisco View Post
Servers would suffer in that scenario, because unfairly many (not all) would not tip well if this were to happen.
The server is the easiest target, so the server needs to convince the diner that the server is on their side and will do everything in their power to make things right. Won't work on everyone, but will work on most. If the server isn't willing to make that effort than they really aren't exhibiting very good customer service anyway.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #44
kwdw
DIS Veteran

I, too, wondered this past trip if servers were tired of free dining. We had the best service I've had In a couple trips, but we were TIW... And that gives them a guaranteed tip. So, while in the past I thought sometimes they didn't work for that tip, this time, we had great service. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw.

I've only been a regular since 2010, but even I think TS quality has decreased. We've still had some good meals, but definitely more just okay food. My normal traveling partner refused to go to our last couple of reservations because his experiences had been blah earlier in the week.

We still love Liberty Tree for lunch, for example. Pot roast was as yummy as ever and he really liked his veggie burger. And the server we had there, he was awesome. But both of us thought the food at Grand Floridian Cafe was not as good this time. I do think American palates have gotten more sophisticated, but I don't think Disney is doing well at catering to that crowd. They seem to be behind the times, serving too much to "the American picky, expecting bland food eater." And I think their methods for doling out QS food is behind the times.

They need a food facelift across the entire resort. Yes, there are still some good meals to be had, but I think more Americans expect more now. The food served at food booths during F&W now is NORMAL choices we see everyday, not exotic choices, and their regular food options haven't caught up.

Oh, we were there last week, btw.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #45
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Its not so much the guaranteed grat for the reason servers like TIW, its because they don't have to say NO.
The DP is awful for servers in general, when its free its worse

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: