Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

I used to think most of these posts were just pessimistic. But after our recent trip, DH and I agree that the food really HAS gone downhill. It's disappointing, but it's become quite obvious. We will likely skip the dining plan next time and just eat CS and maybe choose one or two TS meals OOP. We do enjoy the character meals with the kids, but the food just is nothing to get excited about-- and it used to be really good!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
AOSIG
Earning My Ears

My families experience has been MK TS is good for lunch. (Have not done BOG). The better TS are like a previous poster said EPCOT and AK with HS coming in third.

I would say WDW TS and DCL TS (not counting Signature) are comparable to a Marriott or Hilton Hotel meal. What I mean by that is what you might see at a sit down wedding trying to feed 300 people. Trying to do a good job just hit and miss at times.
AOSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
smbowtie
Been there done that, gonna do it again

As long as they offer the free dining plan I will take advantage of it. But really, who goes to Disney World because of the food. It's just food. We have to eat while we are there so we make the best of it and go where we know we like it.
smbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
jrsharp21
Mouseketeer

I will take free mediocre food any day of the week.
jrsharp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Wait so the only reason to eat it is because it is "free"?
That's not a very good reason
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
amg35
DIS Veteran

I will say on our upcoming trip (so far not free dining) , we chose the counter service dining plan. We will pay out of pocket for a few special table service dinners, but we felt our money would be better spent with the counter service plan, and it's definitely more than enough food! (and I'm not a fan of being tied down to too many ADR's)
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
kathy884
DIS Veteran

Oh how I miss the good ole days before the Disney dining plan. We at Christmas could without a reservation go to a table service place and wait only 20 minutes or so to be seated. No need for any of that ADR stuff.

DH had a conference at the Contemporary. They were sold out there, and put overflow at POR. This was mid June. I thought, oh no problem, they have that little boat that goes down to Downtown Disney and how delightful to try some different dinner places down there. WRONG!!! No availability for the evening anywhere except Rainforest Café and the wait for that was 3 1/2 hours // No chance to do table service at POR. We were doomed to the food court for all but the two meals that I made an ADR for. Oh and one of our ADRs was for BOMA which is past years was one of our favorites. This last time, though, we missed some of the interesting African dishes that seemed to have been replaced to more basic food that DH thought might appeal more to a theme park crowd. DH doesn't want to go back there again. I would like to take him to JIKO though. Prices are really high too. I still, though, do enjoy a meal in favorite WDW themed hotels for the atmosphere and usually make an ADR at the Polynesian or AKL on trips. Without ADRs this particular June though I felt stuck in the World and was sooo happy to move offsite for the next week where I could actually go out for dinner and not have counter service, plus I had my own kitchen. I think that POR stay was my least favorite WDW stay ever and food had everything to do with it.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
mickey4ever
Mouseketeer

last week was the first time ever we had free dining for 4 adults. Loved it!!! This saved me alot of money. I saw no problems at all.
mickey4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
jtowntoflorida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama View Post
A couple places we like with great CS are Columbia Harbour House and Tangierine Cafe.
Could not agree more! I love both of these places! The Tangeriene Cafe is the only actual restaurant in Epcot we're willing to expend calories and tummy room in during F&W because their food is just so good!
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
LarryNabisco
Magician that eats fire !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Wait so the only reason to eat it is because it is "free"?
That's not a very good reason
Exactly, there is the problem in a nutshell.
LarryNabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #26
Sandy Fisher
DIS Veteran

Never did the free dining. The food quality has gone down in the counter service places over the past 5 years for sure.
I wish they had an Earl of Sandwich at Magic Kingdom.
Sandy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #27
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNabisco View Post
It's become very obvious that since FD was rolled out, the parks quality of food has gone down, level of service has suffered (non tippers abound), and crowds are out of control year round.

FP+ and Magicbands are not the problem-free dining is!
Agreed. It's turned the food into mass-produced slop. And has anyone but me noticed that every CS location will soon only be serving the bacon angus burger?
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #28
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

The folks that do the podcasts here have said for some time that food quality has noticeably dropped since free dining has started. How could it not? Especially since people still eat it. Disney may as well save a few bucks. I am not condoning it just stating the obvious.

But looking forward to WDW dining, IMHO, is sort of missing the point of going. I can find any number of restaurants better in the MD/DC area better than every place at WDW so dining is never a priority for us.

The point of free dining is to sell tickets and hotel roms and it looks,like it is working very well.
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
The folks that do the podcasts here have said for some time that food quality has noticeably dropped since free dining has started. How could it not? Especially since people still eat it. Disney may as well save a few bucks. I am not condoning it just stating the obvious.

But looking forward to WDW dining, IMHO, is sort of missing the point of going. I can find any number of restaurants better in the MD/DC area better than every place at WDW so dining is never a priority for us.

The point of free dining is to sell tickets and hotel roms and it looks,like it is working very well.
Exactly. Thats why we decided to only eat QS or Signature from now on when we are paying OOP. The QS food is not any better, still hit or miss, but at least it is cheaper!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNabisco View Post
Exactly, there is the problem in a nutshell.
The problem isnt the food, its paying for the food...wait what?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: