Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
LarryNabisco
Magician that eats fire !!

The official Free Dining ruins everything thread.

It's become very obvious that since FD was rolled out, the parks quality of food has gone down, level of service has suffered (non tippers abound), and crowds are out of control year round.

FP+ and Magicbands are not the problem-free dining is!
LarryNabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

I was unaware of "Free Dining Promotions" on my last trip to WDW and made very few ADRs. I "knew" that at the slow time I was going, walk-ups would not be a problem. I was so wrong! Ate at a lot of Counter Service and resort restaurants. If there would have been more than the two of us, I don't think we would have fared well at all. So, this time I'll be making my 180+10 reservations. A prospect I loathe.
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNabisco View Post
It's become very obvious that since FD was rolled out, the parks quality of food has gone down, level of service has suffered (non tippers abound), and crowds are out of control year round.
It also caused male-pattern baldness, global warming, longer and more frequent commercials on TV, and more frequent solar coronal ejections.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
amg35
DIS Veteran

Going to Disney World is starting to sound more like a prison sentence that people have to serve rather than a vacation lately on this board...

Seriously, the level of gloom and doom on here is excessive. It's really not that fun to come here and plan for an upcoming trip anymore!

Besides, you can eat fire, so you should be alright.
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
LarryNabisco
Magician that eats fire !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
Going to Disney World is starting to sound more like a prison sentence that people have to serve rather than a vacation lately on this board...

Seriously, the level of gloom and doom on here is excessive. It's really not that fun to come here and plan for an upcoming trip anymore!

Unfortunately, the amount of complaints confirms there is a problem.
LarryNabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Here are my personal observations and experiences and opinions from our trip this summer...(OOP no FD or DDP)

Disney food is bad. There is no reason to eat at most of the regular TS retaurants. The QS tastes the same, for better or for worse, so might as well pay less.

The Signatures were good.

From now on, we are going to eat either QS or Signature.

JMHO YMMV
Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Here are my personal observations and experiences and opinions from our trip this summer...(OOP no FD or DDP)

Disney food is bad. There is no reason to eat at most of the regular TS retaurants. The QS tastes the same, for better or for worse, so might as well pay less.

The Signatures were good.

From now on, we are going to eat either QS or Signature.

JMHO YMMV
We enjoyed Via Napoli, Kona Cafe, Tutto Italia, La Hacienda De San Angel, The Wave, Grand Floridian Cafe, Captains Grille and those are all regular table service restaurants, not signatures.

Another perspective.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We enjoyed Via Napoli, Kona Cafe, Tutto Italia, La Hacienda De San Angel, The Wave, Grand Floridian Cafe, Captains Grille and those are all regular table service restaurants, not signatures.

Another perspective.
We got the grill platter at Hacienda and couldnt eat one bite the meat was so processed and gross. We got a hockey puck on a plate at Captains Grille. The Wave was ok. Just my perspective I think the biggest thing I realized is that the food is all the same, whether good or bad, might as well just eat QS.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
We got the grill platter at Hacienda and couldnt eat one bite the meat was so processed and gross. We got a hockey puck on a plate at Captains Grille. The Wave was ok. Just my perspective I think the biggest thing I realized is that the food is all the same, whether good or bad, might as well just eat QS.
Okay...wasn't trying to start an argument, I just thought I would post some good table service experiences...
Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Quote:

LOL, this.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip! ~ The One Where I Finally Ride Splash????

Sparkly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Another perspective.
I concurr. There are many very good TS restaurants. We really try to avoid QS, except perhaps BoG for lunch. We find however that TS restaurants at MK (again with the exception of BoG) are not on par with what we can find in the other three parks. There are however excellent options at all the MK resorts. Our preferred TS options are mostly at Epcot and AK.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
It's become very obvious that since FD was rolled out, the parks quality of food has gone down, level of service has suffered . . .

Duh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
canoe86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Unfortunately, the amount of complaints confirms there is a problem.
This.
canoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay...wasn't trying to start an argument, I just thought I would post some good table service experiences...
Sorry, I wasn't either! I didn't mean to start going tit for tat on individual restaurants. My first comment on this thread was more of a general comment.

Last edited by ArwenMarie; 10-29-2013 at 07:23 PM.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
nansmama
DIS Veteran

I agree with a PP that most of the TS at Disney is just not that good. Usually when we do TS it's for an experience rather than the food, like CRT or BOG or Prime Time. We do like Raglan Road. Maybe that doesn't count though since it's not in a park.

A couple places we like with great CS are Columbia Harbour House and Tangierine Cafe.

I do think the Dining Plan has watered down the choices, but we just roll with it and go to the few places we know are good. Hopefully sometime in the future, they will change or eliminate the dining plan, and meal quality will rise again. I'm sure the economy isn't helping.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: