Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #91
PlutoFan10
Mouseketeer

I'm at WDW now. I know from these boards that some have had trouble that interfered with their trip, but we have really enjoyed everything about the MBs. Only issues have been park entrances a few times and honestly never got in quickly with the finger scanner and my AP in the past, either. Being told Annual Pass entries are intermittent, but it delayed us a whole 20 seconds until someone scanned the MB manually and let us through. Used MB flawlessly for room entry, payment of various purchases, photo pass, and FP+. We were never big FP users... Didn't rush in at RD and by the time we wandered over to an attraction, the passes were either gone or for a time so much later that we knew we would have left the park. With FP+, I picked convenient times for us around our ADRs. Hitting the MB at the reader and having no wait at Toy Story Mania, Soarin', Spaceship Earth, And Test Track has been fantastic. Just letting you know it can really be a GOOD experience. FYI to those with split resort stays. We were told to go to the front desk when leaving resort 1 and make sure we are physically checked out to prevent issues with our MB at resort 2.
PlutoFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #92
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
I think people really like to create drama on these boards. If all the people who complain here about FP+, ADR's, EMH, MB's, PP, etc. actually stopped going to WDW, we'd see about 100 less people in the parks. You'd think the people on these boards make-up the bulk of Disney guests. They don't even amount to a blip on Disney's radar.

The whiners and crybabies are even a smaller lot. But if it wasn't for the complainers, this website wouldn't exist. It's funny. Disney is supposed to be a happy place. But all these miserable people here make it seem like the worst vacation destination in the world. I'd love to see the moderators do something about all the negativity on this board. This is supposed to be about trip planning. Not a constant b#tchfest about trips that haven't even occurred yet.

Meanwhile the 99.5% of us who appreciate WDW will keep enjoying our vacations.
Uhhhhhhh....the title of this section is Theme Park Attractions and Strategies. I don't see Trip Planning in the title. Disney has forced us to use way more "strategery" than we used to (not that there wasn't a decent amount already required) so MM+ is how you plan your trip now. It is only going to get worse as the non-captured statistic comes into play.

Personally, I will get a better feel for this new vision (ok....maybe just can't wait to see it happen) after the International Tourist Groups show up to play with the new toy in town. That could cause some issues in way more than one way. Or maybe the Cheerleaders happen to be building really short skyscrapers out of themselves. I can't imagine them playing with a phone or apps at all.

Sorry....didn't mean to be negative. Until they prove me wrong and earn my trust again as a paying customer, I will continue to voice concerns.

I also believe that Prince has a patent on purple Magic Bands....hence the other major dilemma on this trip planning section.

And just to be clear.....99.5% of the people can't be considered "appreciative" just yet. Disney's growth for the last quarter (on both coasts) was 3%. Their International growth was up 7% in that same time. They make up 18-22% of their total attendance in a year. So there is your bottom line. I'm not even sure Disney has this set up for all of those guests yet....maybe someone can correct me. Yeah, I have some concerns about planning a trip.

To quote a wise Scholar.....60% of the time it works every time.
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”

Last edited by Mad Hattered; 10-29-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #93
MickDisney
Magic

I hope this is true! It would be great to go and only have to contend with the happy Disney folks!
MickDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #94
GrumpyDad1974
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
See ya. One less person in the crowd I'll have to deal with.

If THESE are the reasons that you won't visit Disney World, then I think your have your vacationing priorities wrong to being with.

Pointless thread.

Ethan
Thank You...
2008 September-Pop Century (Free Dining) 2009 June-Pop Century (Buy 4 get 3 Free) 2010 June-Loews Royal Pacific Hotel (Stay 7 pay 4) 2010 December- Pop Century (Free Dinning) 2012 March-All Star Sports (Free Dinning) 2013 March US/IOA/SW/BG (aka the darkside trip) 2014 April Pop Century
I've been BOO'ED!!!
GrumpyDad1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #95
lodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJulie View Post
Actually, that's not quote correct. Here is the definition on Disney's ADR: Advance Reservations is a system Walt Disney World uses to manage their restaurant seating flow. In essence, unlike a true reservation where a table is saved for your party at a particular time, the advance reservation guarantees your party the next available table. Ergo, you don't show up, your table goes to the next group inline. Kind of like a FP at a ride, they don't save a seat for you in case you show up. If you do, you're next in line, if not, then the person behind you fills the seat. It's an excellent system really - they do not HOLD a table for you so they have no empty tables if you don't show up. Requiring a credit card to hold the table does likely make for less "double dipping ADRs" but Disney wasn't loosing any money if you didn't show up. Now, they make money !!
it may be the FP+ and dining length ( how long they want you in there) are tied too. I noticed that they put "conflicting" choices (with dining reservations) that are the most sought rides, that allow one hour of eating and just enough time to get to the ride before your FP+ time slot is up. Sure, there was also choices A, B, C, and D but many of them gave alternate ride choices, not your initial pick.

With population increase (which is what Disney need to continue to grow), managing time is becoming important. Ride on an LA freeway and you'll see how preplanning can save future frustration. I'll go with it, but I enjoy massive amount of planning. I can see where it can overwhelm others easily and I empathize with the difficulty this causes. Some people just can't manage this level of disarray.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #96
BradleyB
Earning My Ears

My wife is a Disney fanatic. She grew up as a season pass holder in SoCal and (at great expense) has taken the kids for a magical trip in Feb 2009. I took her and the DMIL (at great expense) on a truly magical trip in April 2013. We had so much fun, we got APs and a TIW!

Now we were planning on going again in Feb 2014 before the passes and TIW expired. Between the expense, the hassle with FP (we got them as much as we could and when we didn't use them, we gave them away - you should have seen the families that got our TSMM FP!!!) and the crowd reports, we are rethinking our trip. None of the kids or myself want to go if we have to hassle getting on rides, eat meals, etc ( and we are RD, ADR folks.)

The only person still interested is my wife and that is because she drank the kool-aid. But even she does not see the value anymore of going solo. We are looking at adventure alternatives seeing as we are pretty adventurous. It turns out for the same $$ as a WDW vacay, we can have some pretty incredible experiences in exotic places.

Now it is a matter of me convincing my wife to go alternative or her convincing the family to go Disney. Who will prevail???????????
BradleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #97
monty
DIS Veteran

I have purposely avoided commenting on all the 'not fair', 'never going again' threads as I did not want to get drawn into all the negativity & arguments before my December trip, but I can no longer resist so here is my 2 cents worth.

Disney doesn't 'force' anyone to strategise more than what they want to. People from all over the world arrive to WDW every day, with no ADR's, no FP+, no plans. Some will probably be over whelmed & not enjoy themselves, most will more than likely, have a great time. People should be excited at the prospect of going on vacation. If you feel WDW is no longer worth doing because you don't want to do any extra planning and yet you feel you must do extra planning in order to have a good time, then I think you are bound to have a miserable time and it really defeats the purpose of a vacation.

To all those who have been to WDW countless times, some of you multiple times a year…..why not try somewhere new for a vacation spot. The world is a big place. There are so many beautiful sights in Italy, England, Australia and in your own country….you have the most wonderful, beautiful National Parks. I know you love Disney and amusement parks, but maybe see this as an opportunity to try some new experiences.

FP+ is it fair??? When I get to WDW & maybe FP- may no longer be available on the KTTW cards if you have FP+, will that be unfair because for months some people have been getting both or is it a perk for those who happened to be there during the testing? Can't we just be happy, albeit it maybe a bit envious , for them? It's interesting that something that can be seen as a perk if you are a recipient is the same thing as seen as unfair to those missing out. As far as being 'fair' goes there are many things that can be deemed 'unfair'. The person before me gets a room upgrade, I've paid the same amount for my room…but no upgrade for me. Is that 'fair'? I get an empty seat next to me on an international flight. You are stuck in-between two snorers. Fair?. I prefer to be happy for others and maybe I too will be lucky enough to next time get a free upgrade!

Upset at being unable to order purple bands? Definitely a first world problem. You should count your blessings that this is something worth griping about in your life.

As far a credit card holds for ADR's, it's no different for booking hotels. It stops people from not turning up without taking the necessary steps to cancel their booking and making the table or room available for someone else. Bad for both parties. The business loses money and the customer doesn't have anywhere to eat or sleep. If people were always courteous and could be trusted to the 'right thing' then it wouldn't be necessary. Sad fact, people not always are.
2005 WDW: Wilderness Lodge
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2010 Disneyland Paris

WDW and Disneyland on the one trip!
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #98
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

monty, I agree with most of what you posted except for one thing. I never agree with taking something away from people. I think that there will always be hard feelings when that happens. I can easily feel happy for someone who is fortunate but still feel unhappy when I think that I've lost something.

Of course people will adjust to whatever happens given time but it's still too new and there are too many unknown elements to just shrug and let it go. I was pretty upset too for a while but I did let it go because there isn't anything I can do about it. I don't like it but it is what it is.

I appreciate that you posted in a nice way. I can't say that everyone is doing so.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #99
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey
Be honest..... It's the lack of purple magic bands.... isn't it...
There's no purple?!? That's my favorite color. Grrrr.....(hahahaha)

Anyway, my first trip is in Jan. I wasn't even planning on using fast passes..I was just gonna go with the flow..

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #100
omurice
Mouseketeer

To OP: Take a deep breath, and ask yourself, "Is my #1 vacation destination the #1 problem in my life?". If the answer is YES, you are the most fortunate person I know! #realitydose
omurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #101
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
Uhhhhhhh....the title of this section is Theme Park Attractions and Strategies. I don't see Trip Planning in the title. .
The Theme park Attractions and Strategies forum is a subforum under the heading "Disney Trip Planning". Just look at the box at the top left side of this screen, where the thread name is listed.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #102
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
I will withhold judgement until after my January trip.
I'm doing the same. I'm not impressed with the FP+/MB information that's come out so far and I hate the idea of vacation becoming something that has to be scheduled down to ride times. I also hate the fact that the new CC policy means no more on-the-fly ADRs; there are a lot of days where I don't book lunch but end up jumping on the app to make a TS ADR rather than grabbing counter service, but the app can't even search for availability at restaurants with a CC requirement much less book them. So the change effects the way I travel even without any need to cancel a planned ADR.

But I am reserving final judgement until I've experienced it all for myself. I'm currently booked for Dec & Jan, and considering a "one last trip" for Feb/Mar before my AP expires as well. The Dec trip is on for sure. Jan and beyond is up in the air depending on what sort of experience we have in Dec.

Colleen27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #103
River Country
DIS Jedi

[QUOTE= FYI to those with split resort stays. We were told to go to the front desk when leaving resort 1 and make sure we are physically checked out to prevent issues with our MB at resort 2.[/QUOTE]

Really???? this is good to know. I have a split stay coming in December. I just found out that i am receiving 2 sets of MB's. I also have a PAP. ever come across this?
River Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #104
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJulie View Post
Actually, that's not quote correct. Here is the definition on Disney's ADR:
Advance Reservations is a system Walt Disney World uses to manage their restaurant seating flow. In essence, unlike a true reservation where a table is saved for your party at a particular time, the advance reservation guarantees your party the next available table.

Ergo, you don't show up, your table goes to the next group inline. Kind of like a FP at a ride, they don't save a seat for you in case you show up. If you do, you're next in line, if not, then the person behind you fills the seat. It's an excellent system really - they do not HOLD a table for you so they have no empty tables if you don't show up. Requiring a credit card to hold the table does likely make for less "double dipping ADRs" but Disney wasn't loosing any money if you didn't show up. Now, they make money !!
On the surface, your argument seems correct, however, even though the first part is fairly correct, in that the next group goes in, there's more to it then that. If any given restaurant books 100 ADR for the evening and 10 of them don't show then it cost them money. Probably way more money then that $10.00 covers. For example, just the quantity of diners alone. If you have allowed space, time and food to accommodate and average of 4 people per group and 10 groups don't show up, it is very costly. If they think that they have reached capacity (i.e. 100) then they will be turning away people at the door telling them that it is by ADR only. They cannot recoup that money and anyone who has every had a meal at Disney knows that $10.00 doesn't even cover the cost of your drink, much less your meal. If they plan for 100 and only 90 show up, not all the food that was planned for the evening will survive to the next day, therefore thrown out edibles.

Considering the abuse that thoughtless people have inflicted on the system, it's a wonder that they didn't put a $50.00 charge on it. I think I would have.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #105
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
See ya. One less person in the crowd I'll have to deal with.

If THESE are the reasons that you won't visit Disney World, then I think your have your vacationing priorities wrong to being with.
I'm sorry, when did we establish one proper set of vacation priorities? If I'm spending my money, I would think I'd be the one to set my vacationing priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
I agree! This is TOTALLY understandable why they did this. I thought just as you did. The person(s) that complains are the ones who make multiple reservations at a park and see where they are closest to at that time and go to it. The only thing the might could have done was to have it where the system could red flag if someone had a double reservation within and hour or two of another but then people would make up names so that wouldn't work. Unless they ID'ed you, but if you have a big party just use everyone in your parties name. So no...that doesn't work.
Except that isn't true and is merely a way of shutting down reasonable conversation about the change. A lot of the complaints are coming from people who book only ADRs they plan to make, but have had illness, bad weather, or just plain overdoing it in the parks prompt a last minute cancellation at some point.

Also, the fee isn't the only objectionable element of this particular change - they're essentially destroying the dining reservations functionality of their own app with this change, because the app doesn't support searching for or booking ADRs at restaurants that require a CC hold. The cancellation fee might effect me once in a blue moon - I can think of 2 or 3 times in the past that it would have applied, out of over a hundred sit-down meals at WDW - but I was on my app booking a last-minute meal probably a half-dozen times between my last two trips. But Disney is rolling out this policy without updating their technology to fully support it, so I won't be able to do that in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
Personally, I think the argument that "we" forced Disney to do cc for all ADRs is really silly. Drink the koolaid, much?

For every no show at Chef Mickeys is a line of people 2-3 times as long looking for a walk-up reservation. There was no issue with not filling seats. Disney just realized they can make $40 or $50 for every no show PLUS not miss a beat on dining revenue as they fill your spot with a walk-up table.
Exactly. An ADR isn't a reservation, and a last minute cancellation or even a no-show doesn't mean a table sits empty. ADRs are just FPs for dining; you get a reserved place in line when you check in. Sure, they hold the ability to do so for a period of time if you're a little late - much like the return window on a fastpass - but they're not idling a table waiting on you. They're just moving along to the next person on the list, and the next, and the next. And now the fee applies to restaurants that sit half-empty much of the time as well, which can only make volume less predictable for those establishments because why would you make an ADR and risk a cancellation fee for Olivia's or Kouzzina when you know you can get in as a walk-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrbell1437 View Post
And it never occurred to you to pick it up?

I can sort of understand the band-aid, but a plastic bag over the hand and you could have picked it up...

Yes, Disney should be more on top of the litter, but if everyone picked up just one piece of easy to chuck litter (like a popcorn box or a water bottle - not talking dirty diapers or anything like that) the park would be improved
I'm sorry, but I don't spend the kind of money we spend to go to WDW to pick up litter like I'm in my own front yard. A clean, pleasant setting is a big part of the product that WDW markets and it isn't unreasonable to expect they'll live up to the expectations they create.

I'm not a person who is adverse to change. If you feel like digging, you'll find that I was very positive about next gen and the potential in RFID. What I am is disappointed. Disney is taking a powerful new technology, rolling it out before it is show-ready, and applying it in ways that detract from rather than enhance the guest experience.

Colleen27 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: