Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #601
tjevans
DIS Veteran
 
tjevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
For all of the Uber Planners, do you vacation anywhere else other than Disney?
The reason I am asking is because if you love to plan so much doesn't it get less challenging the more you plan for the same place? I mean you already know what is there and where everything is located.

My wife wants to go someplace new every year. I end up doing the planning and while I don't hate doing it ,lets say I don't really love it either. I try to convince her to go back to a place we liked because it makes my planning life easier because I know the lay of the land so to speak.
I would plan the other vacations if I could, but it's much more difficult because there aren't as many resources—online and otherwise—as there is for a Disney vacation.
__________________
An ice skating drag queen chef who used to be in Disney on Ice.

This is a person with multiple skill sets
.
tjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #602
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,601

Everyone should just sit back and read the last 4 or 5 pages with an objective eye. There is so much back and forth!

I like the comments I see in various threads about value. Value is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

Also, I hope to plan a really fun trip overseas in the next few years. That one will require some work but it's all pleasant planning and not making appointments to ride themepark rides. Again, value as I see it.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #603
fuzzylogicllc
www.infinitrader.net
 
fuzzylogicllc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
Are you saying there is more demand at Disney because there is less supply?
Well no. There isn't more demand because of less supply...

There is a certain amount of supply. AKA the # of Tier1 rides Disney can process in a day.

There is a certain amount of demand. AKA the number of total rides that people in general would consume if they could ride it the number of times they want.

The gap between supply and demand is so incredibly huge because so many ppl want to ride the rides, yet a fixed number of ridings are possible.

At Universal, there are more rides per park and fewer guests (3 resorts vs 20+ resorts). Thus they can feasibly offer their 3 resorts worth of guests unlim access and still have capacity left for non resort guests.

At WDW, giving each guest in their resorts 3 rides practically consumes the ride capacity already. Making each riding therefore at WDW "worth more" than a similar ride at Universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
Because many have said if Disney offered it as a pay to play they would pay.
Sure they would. But as stated before, Disney is politely saying "no thanks" we'd rather you just cough up for a room, cuz then we know in addition to paying for the FP, we have you roped into spending a lot more money w us on incidentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
Also at Universal those not staying @ one of the 3 resorts can purchase unlimited so it would be a benefit to more than just those guests.
Yes, but again the Universal rides are not in AS HIGH a demand as the WDW rides so Universal can offer this. I'm not dissing Universal. I am really trying to work in staying there for 2 days cuz HP land is cool! Just that you don't have as many ppl the entire world over planning trips to Florida, USA to go to Universal like they do to WDW.
fuzzylogicllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #604
robpa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Drums,Pa
Posts: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjevans View Post
I would plan the other vacations if I could, but it's much more difficult because there aren't as many resources—online and otherwise—as there is for a Disney vacation.
you would be surprised, trip advisor is an excellent source.
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #605
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!
 
AmyB2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Everyone should just sit back and read the last 4 or 5 pages with an objective eye. There is so much back and forth!

I like the comments I see in various threads about value. Value is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

Also, I hope to plan a really fun trip overseas in the next few years. That one will require some work but it's all pleasant planning and not making appointments to ride themepark rides. Again, value as I see it.
Agreed!!


Where are you going??
__________________

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #606
robpa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Drums,Pa
Posts: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogicllc View Post
Well no. There isn't more demand because of less supply...

There is a certain amount of supply. AKA the # of Tier1 rides Disney can process in a day.

There is a certain amount of demand. AKA the number of total rides that people in general would consume if they could ride it the number of times they want.

The gap between supply and demand is so incredibly huge because so many ppl want to ride the rides, yet a fixed number of ridings are possible.

At Universal, there are more rides per park and fewer guests (3 resorts vs 20+ resorts). Thus they can feasibly offer their 3 resorts worth of guests unlim access and still have capacity left for non resort guests.

At WDW, giving each guest in their resorts 3 rides practically consumes the ride capacity already. Making each riding therefore at WDW "worth more" than a similar ride at Universal.



Sure they would. But as stated before, Disney is politely saying "no thanks" we'd rather you just cough up for a room, cuz then we know in addition to paying for the FP, we have you roped into spending a lot more money w us on incidentals.



Yes, but again the Universal rides are not in AS HIGH a demand as the WDW rides so Universal can offer this. I'm not dissing Universal. I am really trying to work in staying there for 2 days cuz HP land is cool! Just that you don't have as many ppl the entire world over planning trips to Florida, USA to go to Universal like they do to WDW.
It seems to me that the problem @ Disney is lack of tier 1 rides so that is a supply problem. I take it you don't enjoy thrill rides so your perception is that the rides @ Universal aren't as popular as the tamer Disney rides. I enjoy thrill rides so the rides @ Universal have more appeal to me. The headliners @ Disney are good but there just aren't enough of them. Different strokes for different folks.
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #607
tjevans
DIS Veteran
 
tjevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
you would be surprised, trip advisor is an excellent source.
I've used trip advisor, but it's no DIS. For example, about three years ago, I planned a trip to Vegas for my wife's birthday. Tripadviser was the best site I found for that trip.

There aren't that many sites that are full of information, photos, and forums. If there are, I just didn't think they were laid out very well, but that may just be because I'm so use to the (non-official) Disney sites. Or maybe it's just the level of devotion/fanaticism that is missing.
__________________
An ice skating drag queen chef who used to be in Disney on Ice.

This is a person with multiple skill sets
.
tjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #608
Maleficent Dragon
Member Since 2004; lost previous login details
 
Maleficent Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7,895

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

This Dis is like high school. The "cool" kids are the ones who bash Disney at every turn. Every issue is blown out of proportion. I picture those people as wearing leather jackets and smoking.

The "nerds" are the people that try and stay optimistic, and also those who follow the rules. They get that Disney is first and foremost a business and are selling us a product. One that we can buy or not buy. Those are the people that in my mind have cuffed jeans and nerd glasses.
Be careful! You are a part of that High School/Grammar School group you are placing others into. It has been a trend with your posting to "put people in their place" and argue your point to death. So I guess if we are going to label, that makes you a Dis bullly? How silly!!!!

Most people in this thread and others have been passionate, yet friendly about their feelings and concerns on the topic. Other than you (and possibly a few others), nobody is categorizing people as cool/nerdy/uncool. There are people who are "Disney Apologists" and feel that Disney can do no wrong. They are a corporation. You would rather attack people instead of calling out potential bad business moves. I don't like a lot of things Disney is doing lately, but I am still going to be there in 3.5 weeks. If all of us are bashing and hated Disney over changes, we would cancel our trips, expensive dinners, tours, hard-ticket events, etc. Please be mature about this and realize that everybody is not going to share your OPINIONS. Everybody has the same entitlement to their OPINIONS and feelings about things. You mistake passion for bashing.
__________________





Last edited by Maleficent Dragon; 11-07-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Correct grammar
Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #609
MrsUqdah
Mouseketeer
 
MrsUqdah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhouseofmouse View Post
After reading the first post, i was sooo going to write the same thing. "I understand change sometimes can be hard to take....but change is good!!! (unless your coke, If your Coke...change is sooo not good...Coke2 anyone???)
Ditto lol
MrsUqdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #610
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogicllc View Post
Well no. There isn't more demand because of less supply...

There is a certain amount of supply. AKA the # of Tier1 rides Disney can process in a day.

There is a certain amount of demand. AKA the number of total rides that people in general would consume if they could ride it the number of times they want.

The gap between supply and demand is so incredibly huge because so many ppl want to ride the rides, yet a fixed number of ridings are possible.

At Universal, there are more rides per park and fewer guests (3 resorts vs 20+ resorts). Thus they can feasibly offer their 3 resorts worth of guests unlim access and still have capacity left for non resort guests.

At WDW, giving each guest in their resorts 3 rides practically consumes the ride capacity already. Making each riding therefore at WDW "worth more" than a similar ride at Universal.
And why does that disparity exist? Because while Universal was building new rides and enhancing their parks, Disney was simply building hotels and timeshares and thinking about how to pack their parks well beyond the limits of ride capacity.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13


Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #611
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 11,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Everyone should just sit back and read the last 4 or 5 pages with an objective eye. There is so much back and forth!

I like the comments I see in various threads about value. Value is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

Also, I hope to plan a really fun trip overseas in the next few years. That one will require some work but it's all pleasant planning and not making appointments to ride themepark rides. Again, value as I see it.
You're assuming it will be pleasant planning because it's new and different. It might end up being a big ol' headache.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #612
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize
 
BayouMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Paradis, La.
Posts: 3,691

BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #613
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjevans View Post
I would plan the other vacations if I could, but it's much more difficult because there aren't as many resources—online and otherwise—as there is for a Disney vacation.
The DIS is a great resource for other trips too... Just head over to the community or budget boards and ask about a destination. It might not be the point of the forum but we DISers are a pretty well-traveled and talkative bunch, so it isn't a bad place to start.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13


Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #614
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!
 
Mkrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philly Suburbs!!!!
Posts: 10,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
This Dis is like high school. The "cool" kids are the ones who bash Disney at every turn. Every issue is blown out of proportion. I picture those people as wearing leather jackets and smoking.

The "nerds" are the people that try and stay optimistic, and also those who follow the rules. They get that Disney is first and foremost a business and are selling us a product. One that we can buy or not buy. Those are the people that in my mind have cuffed jeans and nerd glasses.
This has got to be one of the top ten most ridiculous things I have ever read on the DIS.
__________________
DH Me DS16 : DS11
2002 Contemporary
April -May 2007 Contemporary
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #615
robpa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Drums,Pa
Posts: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjevans View Post
I've used trip advisor, but it's no DIS. For example, about three years ago, I planned a trip to Vegas for my wife's birthday. Tripadviser was the best site I found for that trip.

There aren't that many sites that are full of information, photos, and forums. If there are, I just didn't think they were laid out very well, but that may just be because I'm so use to the (non-official) Disney sites. Or maybe it's just the level of devotion/fanaticism that is missing.
Did you use the trip advisor forum? Some are more active than others, depends where you are going. I would imagine one for vegas would be pretty active.
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: